Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Official 2022 College Football Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=98315)

cartman 09-01-2023 09:09 AM

SMU does have VERY deep pocketed boosters. That's what originally got them into trouble back in the 1980s

Swaggs 09-01-2023 09:12 AM

On the one hand, this sounds destined to fail. On the other hand, I'm not sure it will matter one way or the other.

Sources - ACC votes to invite Stanford, Cal, SMU - ESPN
Quote:

Cal, Stanford and SMU will come at a significant discount, which will help create a revenue pool to be shared among ACC members. SMU is expected to come in for nine years with no broadcast media revenue, sources told ESPN, and both Cal and Stanford were expected to receive 30% shares of ACC payouts.

That money being withheld is expected to create an annual pot of revenue between $50 million and $60 million. Some of the revenue will be divided proportionally among the 14 full-time members and Notre Dame, while another portion will be put in a pool designated for success initiatives that rewards programs that win.

I don't see this buying any loyalty from FSU or Clemson once they have an opportunity to leave and it seems like it would piss off the newcomers to not be given equal shares. The one bright side is that there will be more teams to re-form the league with once the next round of expansion comes around where, presumably, Miami, FSU, UNC, UVA, Clemson and maybe others will be looking at their options.

Swaggs 09-01-2023 09:17 AM

Also, I feel like it just makes sense for WVU, UCF, and Cincy to go to the ACC and Stanford, Cal, and SMU to go to the Big 12 at this point.

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2023 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 3410431)

I don't see this buying any loyalty from FSU or Clemson once they have an opportunity to leave and it seems like it would piss off the newcomers to not be given equal shares.

I'm seeing UNC as an increasingly likely departure as well.

That's apparently what this move is actually about -- keeping the membership numbers up will avoid triggering a renegotiation clause that ESPN would surely like to invoke if they lost FSU & Clemson.

Swaggs 09-01-2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3410434)
I'm seeing UNC as an increasingly likely departure as well.

That's apparently what this move is actually about -- keeping the membership numbers up will avoid triggering a renegotiation clause that ESPN would surely like to invoke if they lost FSU & Clemson.

Agreed. I know football drives the bus, but I sort of see UNC/UVA as potentially the most valuable schools left in the ACC because they would fit equally well in the Big Ten or SEC, are elite academically, and give valuable and contiguous new states/markets to both conferences.

Solecismic 09-01-2023 01:19 PM

By the time they can figure out how to get out of that contract, there won't be anyone able to pay them what they're getting now. The ACC survived because it signed a contract so absurdly long.

The pot for performance idea seems solid. FSU and Clemson get some appeasement, but it's not permanent so it won't piss everyone else off the way Texas and Oklahoma infuriated the Big 12.

There are more major colleges than before. Just fewer major conferences. Simply because of the way contracts were structured, not because of the economics of television.

Ten years from now, all of this is going to look very different. I hope non-revenue sports survive.

GrantDawg 09-01-2023 08:11 PM

Is Georgia Tech offense this good, or is Louisville's defense that bad?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

cuervo72 09-01-2023 08:28 PM

I know Jeff Brohm is an offensive coach...but this looks like a Jeff Brohm defense.

GrantDawg 09-01-2023 09:11 PM

I spoke too soon. That GT offense disappeared in the third.

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3410486)
I spoke too soon. That GT offense disappeared in the third.

Turnovers, bad receivers, can't stop the run.

Stop me if you've heard this.

I'm pretty sure that was a not good team beating a bad team.

Thomkal 09-02-2023 09:59 AM

So we've known for a couple of years now that Coastal was going to start the season at UCLA and it was going to be on ESPN...so guess who no longer has ESPN due to Spectrum/Disney? Grrrr!

Edward64 09-02-2023 11:11 AM

I think we all know the El Primo game today is Hogs vs Western Carolina.

But am a little surprised there aren't any ranked vs ranked today. Go Hogs, and cover the 34 pts.

bronconick 09-02-2023 11:28 AM

TCU: Still can't tackle, now against Colorado.

HerRealName 09-02-2023 12:07 PM

Colorado is shockingly good. I thought this might be a train wreck

Edward64 09-02-2023 12:39 PM

Hogs up 21-0 with about 3 min left in 1Q. We've thrown a couple long passes for TD now.

I now know how the Dawgs & Tide feel! I'll be disappointed if we don't/can't rotate in some 2nd team guys starting 2H.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3410550)
But am a little surprised there aren't any ranked vs ranked today.

Cost of having LSU-FSU played on Sunday night

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 01:24 PM

Ole Miss WR Tre Harris has three catches for three TDs in his debut.

He's a senior transfer from La Tech but I gotta wonder if any player has EVER had their first three catches for a team all be TDs

GrantDawg 09-02-2023 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3410550)
I think we all know the El Primo game today is Hogs vs Western Carolina.

But am a little surprised there aren't any ranked vs ranked today. Go Hogs, and cover the 34 pts.

Just a really bad week of football. Opening weekends generally are, but this one might be the worse.

Atocep 09-02-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRealName (Post 3410558)
Colorado is shockingly good. I thought this might be a train wreck

With something like 10 returning players it's a miracle they're not a dumpster fire and instead they actually looked like a solid, well coached team.

Atocep 09-02-2023 02:16 PM

Tavis Hunter 4 Heisman

cuervo72 09-02-2023 02:19 PM

Yeah never mind, guess that Purdue defense wasn't on Brohm.

bronconick 09-02-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3410581)
With something like 10 returning players it's a miracle they're not a dumpster fire and instead they actually looked like a solid, well coached team.

To be fair, 2022 Colorado was a dumpster fire to begin with so adding 70 transfers might have been worth it.

HerRealName 09-02-2023 02:32 PM

The Buff defense is worn out but this is an exciting team. This is a great, great game.

bob 09-02-2023 02:43 PM

So I know it's a bit shaky ethically, and GT admin would never have let him do it here, but maybe there was something to Deion's concept of chasing off the "losers" and starting over with the roster

Ksyrup 09-02-2023 02:46 PM

So which SEC team brings Deion in next year? His son will be gone, right?

GrantDawg 09-02-2023 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3410594)
So which SEC team brings Deion in next year? His son will be gone, right?

Will he leave that fast? Maybe. I think he will want a couple of seasons before he strays.

Solecismic 09-02-2023 03:00 PM

Winning makes people forget what you did to get there. Big day for portal advocates and lawyers wanting a piece of player organization for the post-NCAA college football world.

Things are moving faster now. I wouldn't be surprised if Prime's in the SEC next fall.

Michigan was on something called the Peacock network. I won't pretend I don't know what that is, but I had no desire to sign up. These long-term deals for the conferences and NFL might be the only thing holding the broadcast networks together at this point. Add in the Hollywood strikes, which look like they're going to be the longest such strikes we've ever had, and I don't see how the networks could even get through the year without football.

Ksyrup 09-02-2023 03:08 PM

Peacock is NBC's streaming site. They show stuff for free without having to sign up, I thought. Not sure if that game was one. I have a subscription for soccer and Poker Face. Good value for $50 a year.

bob 09-02-2023 03:22 PM

There are coupon codes for Peacock that make it $2.50 a month for the next three months. That's less than a large fry at a fast food place.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3410593)
So I know it's a bit shaky ethically, and GT admin would never have let him do it here, but maybe there was something to Deion's concept of chasing off the "losers" and starting over with the roster

How many of the CU roster could have gotten admitted to GT even with some waivers?

I wouldn't get too carried away with the win today honestly. TCU may not have anything left.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3410595)
Will he leave that fast? Maybe. I think he will want a couple of seasons before he strays.

He'd leave tomorrow if somebody bigger called with more money.

GrantDawg 09-02-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3410608)
He'd leave tomorrow if somebody bigger called with more money.

I really don't know if that is true. I don't even think Colorado was the highest bidder.

bob 09-02-2023 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3410607)
How many of the CU roster could have gotten admitted to GT even with some waivers?

I wouldn't get too carried away with the win today honestly. TCU may not have anything left.

That’s what I meant by GT admin wouldn’t let him do it.

And on the subject of GT, that game was the perfect display of why I didn’t want Brent Key retained. He was the OL coach, which is the weakest unit for the team, and as head coach he played too conservative with no adjustments in the second half last season and did it again last night.

I will say Deion would have sold more tickets last night. 36k in attendance at MBS. They can’t be happy with that. And good luck selling tickets to SC State at 1pm next weekend.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3410610)
I really don't know if that is true. I don't even think Colorado was the highest bidder.

Highest bidder with no hint of ethics or a clue.

I'm still entirely unimpressed with what I believe is the biggest fraud to ever coach a game in college athletics.

edit to add: And that ain't an easy bar to clear in a profession that includes Butch Jones and Hugh Freeze

Edward64 09-02-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3410566)
Hogs up 21-0 with about 3 min left in 1Q. We've thrown a couple long passes for TD now.

I now know how the Dawgs & Tide feel! I'll be disappointed if we don't/can't rotate in some 2nd team guys starting 2H.

Nice 56-13 win for the Hogs.

No dominating stat by any one Hog player, the wealth was spread around pretty well. Onto Kent State, BYU and then a tough run of LSU, TA&M, Ole Miss and AL.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 04:50 PM

Nebraska already got the true Jeff Sims experience earlier in the week but some others followed suit including:

-- former Texas QB Hudson Card went 17/30 for 254 & 2 in a 39-35 Purdue loss to Fresno State
-- former Missouri & Indiana QB Connore Bazelak went 6/21 for 71 yards and 3 INTs in a 34-24 Bowling Green loss to Liberty
-- former Vols QB J.T. Shrout went 12/26 for 148 yards in a 73-0 Arkansas State loss to Oklahoma
-- former Clemson & GT QB Taisun Phommachanh is 7/13 for 48 yds & an INT through two quarters against Auburn

bob 09-02-2023 05:02 PM

To be fair, Taisun Phommachanh and UMass won their game in Week 0.

Atocep 09-02-2023 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3410618)

I'm still entirely unimpressed with what I believe is the biggest fraud to ever coach a game in college athletics.

edit to add: And that ain't an easy bar to clear in a profession that includes Butch Jones and Hugh Freeze

I've come around on him. He's abusing systems he doesn't necessarily agree with because the NCAA won't make changes or enforce rules. So he's doing what other coaches are either already doing or wish they could do.

Any coach that can claim moral superiority isn't lasting more than 3 years at this point. Well, except Neal Brown, who's on year 5 of talking about culture, backyard bbqs, and living off a fluke win over a mediocre LSU team when he was at Troy.

Solecismic 09-02-2023 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3410618)

To his fans, his players, probably a good portion of the college football world, he's Luke Skywalker (or whichever Star Wars reference is correct) going up against the Death Star with a rag-tag group of misfits. All that's missing is Goldie Hawn and the cast from Bad News Bears.

Going from whatever Colorado was last year to a team that beat the national runner-up (even with most of their stars from last year gone) is something real. And I have a hard time calling ethics when NIL money is everywhere and there are more players in Division I trying to transfer than could fill all the NFL rosters combined.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2023 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecismic (Post 3410632)
To his fans, his players, probably a good portion of the college football world, he's Luke Skywalker (or whichever Star Wars reference is correct) going up against the Death Star with a rag-tag group of misfits. All that's missing is Goldie Hawn and the cast from Bad News Bears.

Going from whatever Colorado was last year to a team that beat the national runner-up (even with most of their stars from last year gone) is something real. And I have a hard time calling ethics when NIL money is everywhere and there are more players in Division I trying to transfer than could fill all the NFL rosters combined.

And I think he's the biggest fraud that the game has ever seen. I wouldn't trust that mfer to coach a pee wee team on Saturday morning at 830a. Literally the biggest example of all hat, zero cattle, to ever exist in the major sports world.

Ksyrup 09-02-2023 06:02 PM

Whether he's a scheme genius or a hands-off CEO, who cares? Results are all that matter and that was impressive.

That said, between the game, the ad on my Score app that came up every time I opened it, or the 2 or 3 separate TV ads that came on when the game WASN'T on my screen... I'm about Deion'd out already.

Fun fact - in June or July of 1989, my HS buddy and I were on our way to visit my relatives for a couple of weeks in San Fran after graduating HS and Deion got off the plane we were about to board in Atlanta. He was hounded/accosted by none other than Ernie Johnson before he could get off the boarding area carpet. I assume he was on his way to visit either the Falcons or the Braves.

GrantDawg 09-02-2023 08:37 PM

Georgia played pretty mediocre versus UT Martin. The first team offense outside of Brock Bowers seemed uninterested. Bowers is still just a beast.

JPhillips 09-02-2023 08:45 PM

Travis Hunter played 129 snaps against TCU.

Atocep 09-02-2023 09:26 PM

Obligatory "Fire Neal Brown" post

RainMaker 09-02-2023 10:29 PM

Pretty brutal scheduling in NCAA. Colorado game was fun but the lack of competitive matchups in Week 1 is tough to watch.

cuervo72 09-02-2023 10:30 PM

but teams need to eat cupcakes

Ksyrup 09-02-2023 10:34 PM

Not a great start to year 4 for Aranda at Baylor.

RainMaker 09-02-2023 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3410645)
but teams need to eat cupcakes

I get it's a business but you gotta have a couple of marquee games each week.

molson 09-02-2023 11:22 PM

It's fun when your college doesn't have a very good football program anymore, but then schedules that one 1-AA game in early September so we can all watch them be really good for one day and pretend. (Syracuse 65, Colgate 0).

When you have no aspirations for big things, those cupcakes are particularly tasty.

JonInMiddleGA 09-03-2023 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3410648)
I get it's a business but you gotta have a couple of marquee games each week.

You've got one ... it just happens to be on Sunday.