Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to Watch Instantly on Netflix? (and now all streaming services) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=80004)

Edward64 11-01-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3309332)
Finished Barbarians last night. Loved it, hope there will be a season 2.

Me too. I've read & watched shows/movies about the barbarians but this is the first show where it showed some of the culture (exaggerated as it have been). I thought the equipment was pretty realistic also.

If I didn't have to work for a living, I would love to have been a historian and archaeologist.

PilotMan 11-01-2020 08:56 PM

Saw the first episode of the new season of The Mandalorian. Fantastic start to the season. Loved it.

stevew 11-01-2020 09:11 PM

yeah, Boba Fett is back! Or is that Rex? lol

Ghost Econ 11-03-2020 10:23 AM

For fans of slapstick and British humor, The Goes Wrong Show is streaming on Prime. It's so dumb and pretty much everything is telegraphed, but I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time. Felt like Monty Python crossed with Noises Off.

JPhillips 11-03-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Econ (Post 3309793)
For fans of slapstick and British humor, The Goes Wrong Show is streaming on Prime. It's so dumb and pretty much everything is telegraphed, but I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time. Felt like Monty Python crossed with Noises Off.

It's sort of a sequel to The Play That Goes Wrong, which was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on stage.

tarcone 11-07-2020 08:08 PM

Chapellr’s show dropped. OMG

PilotMan 11-07-2020 09:06 PM

I can't tell which of Ricky Gervais' shows I like better, Derek or After Life. They are both quite deep and emotional, for different reasons. They are funny and crude as well. He hits all sorts of soft spots for me. Totally worth rewatching either of them.

molson 11-07-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3312566)
I can't tell which of Ricky Gervais' shows I like better, Derek or After Life. They are both quite deep and emotional, for different reasons. They are funny and crude as well. He hits all sorts of soft spots for me. Totally worth rewatching either of them.

I haven't seen Derek yet, but After Life was very different and thoughtful.

I'm also the only person who enjoyed David Brent: Life on the Road. I think it was misunderstood.

Edward64 11-07-2020 09:27 PM

Saw Mandalorian s2 ep2. Enjoyed it, sorry it was so short.

Ep1 had the homage to Dune, ep2 had the homage to Aliens. And Baby Yoda? bad, hungry & cute.

molson 11-07-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas_lov (Post 3309237)

Watching Cobra Kai now, which is awesome. Just finished season 1. I love the flashbacks to the movie and to when they were young. Hard to believe it's been 35 years.

I think it was Lathum who made some posts about this show which put it back on my radar. I thought it was still on Youtube Red or whatever their premium services is, so I was delighted to see it on Netflix. I'm through Episode 8 of Season 1. I just love it. I'm kind of bored by serious 1-hour TV dramas.

Reliving 80's movie moments but through the perspective of the antagonist is something I'd love to see in more shows.

ISiddiqui 11-10-2020 06:15 PM

We are in Season 6 of Schitt's Creek and I'm still not sure why I got so many Emmys. And people talk about the 'growth' the characters make but.. it's not a lot really. And most of the Rose family just isn't good people.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

JPhillips 11-10-2020 06:41 PM

The Queen's Gambit is great overall, but there are so many little inconsistencies that drive me nuts.

Ghost Econ 11-10-2020 07:07 PM

The Princess Switch. My 11 y/o was looking for something to watch and she thought it would seem Disney-y. It was definitely more romantic than she anticipated, but I commented while she was watching it that it was the kind of shit her mother would watch.
My wife replied that she had already watched it.

I have nothing to add, other than I guess this is the singularity I've been dreading for the last 11 years.

tarcone 11-10-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3313285)
We are in Season 6 of Schitt's Creek and I'm still not sure why I got so many Emmys. And people talk about the 'growth' the characters make but.. it's not a lot really. And most of the Rose family just isn't good people.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Could not get into it. Not my type of humor I guess and just not a bunch of characters I liked at all.

whomario 11-11-2020 05:02 PM

Anybody who liked Band of Brothers and/or stuff like Waltz with Bashir should check out "The Liberator" on Netflix. Similar premise to Band of Brothers in following a particular Unit/soldier through WW2 , also based on real Events and based on a book detailing those.

Kinda a Live-Action/Animation hybrid technique used which works really well in highlighting the surreal element of a war and how memory tends to be not photorealistic but still makes the characters feel organic and 'real'. Not the same technique as WWB, but does evoke that one quite a bit in how it feels very 'documentary' and playing out as a sort of memory visually (we aren't following the narrator, we are sharing his memory. For which the less realistic depiction fits really well)

Only 4 episodes x 45-55 minutes, so worst case you wasted barely 3 hours ;)

Edward64 11-11-2020 07:59 PM

"Peninsula", the sequel to zombie flick "Train to Busan" is available on Prime. Have to buy it for $10.

I'll wait for Nov 24 when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Like watching the specials.

GrantDawg 11-11-2020 08:32 PM

I liked The Queens Gambit. We are watching Moonbase 8 right now, and it is very disapointing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JediKooter 11-11-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3313488)
"Peninsula", the sequel to zombie flick "Train to Busan" is available on Prime. Have to buy it for $10.

I'll wait for Nov 24 when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Like watching the specials.

If you have netflix and want a great zombie series, watch The Kingdom, if you haven't already.

Edward64 11-11-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 3313518)
If you have netflix and want a great zombie series, watch The Kingdom, if you haven't already.

I have, waiting on s3.

I really like 28 Days/Weeks. I wish they would make that into a TV series instead of stupid TWD spin-offs.

Edward64 11-11-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3313452)
Anybody who liked Band of Brothers and/or stuff like Waltz with Bashir should check out "The Liberator" on Netflix. Similar premise to Band of Brothers in following a particular Unit/soldier through WW2 , also based on real Events and based on a book detailing those.

Kinda a Live-Action/Animation hybrid technique used which works really well in highlighting the surreal element of a war and how memory tends to be not photorealistic but still makes the characters feel organic and 'real'. Not the same technique as WWB, but does evoke that one quite a bit in how it feels very 'documentary' and playing out as a sort of memory visually (we aren't following the narrator, we are sharing his memory. For which the less realistic depiction fits really well)

I watched maybe 30 min of it.

I don't know what it is but the animation was hurting (?), straining (?) my eyes.

booradley 11-11-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 3313518)

The Kingdom was a great series. Glad to hear someone else enjoyed it!

JediKooter 11-11-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3313519)
I have, waiting on s3.

I really like 28 Days/Weeks. I wish they would make that into a TV series instead of stupid TWD spin-offs.

Awesome! Binged The Kingdom and have been waiting for season 3 ever since and then covid hits, and was bummed.

28 Days Later is one of my favorites, not so much with Weeks, but, it's not horrible. A cool independent zombie flick you should check out is The Battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by booradley
The Kingdom was a great series. Glad to hear someone else enjoyed it!

Oh man, it's so good. Having spent a year in Korea and the amazing countryside there and my love of the zombie genre, perfect mashing of the two.

Edward64 11-14-2020 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 3313530)
A cool independent zombie flick you should check out is The Battery.

Watched it.

We all know that in a real zed-pocalypse, those 2 idiots wouldn't last a day. Wearing headsets and playing music where you can't hear the shuffle of feet; playing ball close by brush; taking a bath in a waterfall without a buddy to keep watch; sitting alone in a picnic table & bench with back exposed; getting drunk in exposed places; not boarding up or securing a house you're staying in etc. And ending was ... unsatisfying.

TBH, it was okay for what it was. Acting and story wasn't half bad but the stupid actions were pretty sad.

Edward64 11-14-2020 06:57 AM

Watched Mandalorian s2 ep3. Fantastic series so far, is it time to create it's own thread?

IMO s2 is better than s1. In s1 there were extras but so far in s2, it's pretty much focused on Mando & baby Yoda. We are seeing more personal interactions between the two and learning more about baby Yoda. Have to re-watch s1 but I think we are seeing more baby Yoda facial expressions which is great.

ep3 pays homage to Pirates of the Caribbean (and again, a little more to last week's Aliens). I like how Disney is doing this.

Fantastic to see Starbuck in a major production vs the el-cheapo Netflix sci-fi specials. Very cool that there is apparently a moderate-vs-radical "the way" angle (Disney writers must be reading FOFC). Very interested in learning more of Starbuck's backstory and seeing that arc progress.

GrantDawg 11-14-2020 08:03 AM

Make a thread, Edward. Your idea, you get the honor.

sterlingice 11-14-2020 09:16 AM

Glad you made a thread - that way I don't have to dread going into this thread anymore :)

I'm one of those cheap people who is going to get a month of Disney+ when they're all out... just like I did last year and like I did for CBS's streaming thing for Picard and the HBO preview for Watchman.

SI

tarcone 11-14-2020 09:36 AM

The Porkys trilogy dropped on Amazon.

Porkys holds up really well. I mean, sure, it couldnt be made today, but the humor is still spot on. I laughed all the way through. Great movie.

Porkys 2 sucks.

Porkys revenge is pretty good.

Edward64 11-17-2020 09:02 PM

Watching midway through The Crown s4 ep2.

It's now the 80's and I remember parts (Mountbatten's assassination, Thatcher, and the soon to be Charles & Diana wedding). I'm grimacing at how the royals' are portrayed (snobbish, rude etc.) especially the scenes at Balmoral with Thatcher.

Great series but find myself getting PO'd. s1-s3 was "history" and that was interesting.

s4 is a tad too close to home. As Thatcher said (paraphrased) "what am I doing here, away from reality ... struggling to find any redeeming features in these people at all ... patronizing bullies"

Groundhog 11-17-2020 09:58 PM

After scrolling through the menu for half an hour, I ended up watching a random Aussie movie on Netflix called Goldstone. It was actually a sequel, and we loved it so much we went back and watched the first movie (Miracle Road), and now are making our way through the 2018 miniseries featuring the same character. It's a crime drama with the lead character playing an indigenous Australia cop, and it has a pretty heavy Western vibe throughout. The middle of Australia is so damn eerie and remote that it's the perfect setting for stories like these, and the cast knock it out of the park.

It's criminal that these movies and miniseries were shot right here and I had no idea they even existed until they went up on Netflix.

Bobble 11-18-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3313452)

Watched this the other day. I read up on it a little bit ahead of time. They can do this sorta rotoscoping to save a ton of money in order to be able to actually make the film so I was rooting for it. I liked that they can draw in an actual Panzer III if they need one rather than paint a German cross on an old Chaffee. But, I did have some trouble being sure who was who if they weren't main characters.

Anyway, I liked it. Story is a little choppy but I think that it has to be to tell an entire war's experience in 4 episodes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lathum 11-18-2020 11:13 AM

Probably more excited than I should be for Christmas Chronicles 2.

ISiddiqui 11-18-2020 11:19 AM

Right now we are watching The Crown. Really like Gillian Anderson's take on Thatcher and the infamous antipathy between QE2 and Thatcher played out.

Also in our rewatch of Community, we are in the final season. The quality definitely took a bit of a hit (this is the Yahoo Screen year, I think) with Frankie and Elroy trying to take the place of Troy and Pierce/Hickey. Season 5 was actually pretty good, especially after the "Gas Leak Year" of Season 4 (which was just trying way too hard). Probably should have just ended after Season 5.

JPhillips 11-18-2020 11:47 AM

This season of The Crown is great for making me hate all of them.

larrymcg421 11-18-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3314606)
Right now we are watching The Crown. Really like Gillian Anderson's take on Thatcher and the infamous antipathy between QE2 and Thatcher played out.

Also in our rewatch of Community, we are in the final season. The quality definitely took a bit of a hit (this is the Yahoo Screen year, I think) with Frankie and Elroy trying to take the place of Troy and Pierce/Hickey. Season 5 was actually pretty good, especially after the "Gas Leak Year" of Season 4 (which was just trying way too hard). Probably should have just ended after Season 5.

I really liked Elroy, but Frankie never worked for me.

ISiddiqui 11-18-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3314610)
This season of The Crown is great for making me hate all of them.

Well there was always plenty to dislike about the British Monarchy, it came to a head in the 90s (though I still think Diana was elevated far beyond she should have been). So I do like they are building up to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3314611)
I really liked Elroy, but Frankie never worked for me.

Elroy just seems too much like, oh we need a new old guy (after Pierce and then Hickey).

I just watched the episode where they don't fix the wifi because Abed is concerned about the birds nest - and I'm like, which character is this? Because S1-3 Abed would never have done that - he would have rather concocted some crazy plan to make the wifi work while saving the birds so that the others in the group would feel ok with it.

Radii 11-18-2020 02:30 PM

I finally got around to the final season of The Good Place and finished it yesterday. What an absolutely wonderful television series, I loved the ending so much.

sterlingice 11-18-2020 02:52 PM

We're in the second half of season 3 right now - should finish up by the end of the year. I'll post more of my thoughts on it then but feel like it would be a bad idea to do it now and risk spoilers with a season plus to go.

SI

Carman Bulldog 11-18-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3313285)
And most of the Rose family just isn't good people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3313304)
Could not get into it. Not my type of humor I guess and just not a bunch of characters I liked at all.

I just finished season 5 of Schitt's Creek and in contrast, quite enjoy the show. I do agree at their core that the Rose family aren't likeable people. But isn't that kind of the point? The same could be said about characters from other shows such as David Brent/early Michael Scott, Larry David, the Seinfeld crew, etc.

I do disagree about the lack of growth. They kind of go from being pure snobs, where they look down upon the townspeople, to more of an unintentional blissfully ignorant snootiness.

stevew 11-19-2020 03:09 AM

Wonder Woman 1984 will be free on HBO Max on Christmas.

Edward64 11-22-2020 06:41 PM

Watched Prime America's Untold Story.

If you like American pre-civil war history, check it out. Primarily revolve around St. Augustine (first BTW), Spain's influence, the 14th & 15th colonies, and large dab of black American history and some native American history.

Flasch186 11-23-2020 01:44 PM

S1e1 the liberator

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stelli 11-24-2020 04:43 AM

Watched Umbrella Academy. It is a good show.

molson 11-25-2020 03:31 PM

The People v. O.J. Simpson is incredible. If you missed it a few years ago, I recommend it.

I never was interested in diving back into this case, and all of the new attention the case got a few years ago kind of confused me, but this series is incredibly entertaining.

One of the things I really appreciate about it is the humanization of those in the DA's office, including portrayals of the personal struggles and disagreements/differences in perspective that existed there, and how all of those things led to problems for them in this case. It's definitely something I've learned in government work that the shorthand of referring to "the police" or the "the DA's office" as collectively having some specific political stance, motive, or way of doing things is misnomer, and doesn't really explain how things actually happen when there are different individual humans involved in all of these things.

Edit: The most effective government agencies are the ones with one central, competent, ethical leader who dictates everything, supported by "soldiers" who buy in and make smaller individual decisions consistent with that leader's vision. That is tough to pull off, especially in bigger offices with so many people coming and going.

JPhillips 11-25-2020 03:40 PM

Sarah Paulson is great as Marcia Clark.

Atocep 11-25-2020 03:48 PM

I'd 100% recommended The People vs OJ Simpson. Brilliantly cast and overall incredibly well done.

And I agree, Paulson nailed Marcia Clark.

JPhillips 11-25-2020 04:22 PM

I'm thinking about hate watching Hillbilly Elegy tonight.

Edward64 11-28-2020 06:35 AM

Watched Netflix Mosul.

Without giving up too much, there's a squad of Iraqi "good guys" fighting the baddies in Mosul. If you like gritty action/war movies, check it out.

ISiddiqui 11-28-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog (Post 3314673)
I just finished season 5 of Schitt's Creek and in contrast, quite enjoy the show. I do agree at their core that the Rose family aren't likeable people. But isn't that kind of the point? The same could be said about characters from other shows such as David Brent/early Michael Scott, Larry David, the Seinfeld crew, etc.

I do disagree about the lack of growth. They kind of go from being pure snobs, where they look down upon the townspeople, to more of an unintentional blissfully ignorant snootiness.

That’s like a bare minimum of growth. My wife liked the feel good nature of the show, but eh... it’s kind of forgettable. Not to mention it’s generally rare for me to enjoy a comedy with unlikable characters unless those characters are the butt of the joke (ie, VEEP, Arrested Development). I didn’t like The Office until Michael was a bit more sympathetic (and the UK Office I can’t stand). Seinfeld was different for me for some reason - I guess mostly because they reacted in ways that most people would like to if they could (I do like a good comedy of manners).

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3315732)
The People v. O.J. Simpson is incredible. If you missed it a few years ago, I recommend it.

It was really excellent. The casting was phenomenal, even though when announced some of it almost sounded like a joke... but David Schwimmer was a standout.

GrantDawg 11-28-2020 06:38 PM

Watching Ted Lasso. It is as good as everyone says.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AlexB 12-01-2020 05:20 PM

Just watched the last of the three parts of Berlin 1945. Not sure if you can get it stateside (it was on BBC/iPlayer) but was a fascinating insight into the city through retold diaries of citizens, soldiers (of all sides, but mostly German and Russian) and journalists

Definitely worth seeing as from a very different angle to anything I’ve seen before, but obviously a pretty dark watch