Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Trump Presidency – 2016 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=92014)

NobodyHere 01-18-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3324196)
Wonder if Kyle Rittenhouse gets a pardon.

I doubt he could afford one

Edward64 01-18-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Probably not.

Quote:

In the wake of President Donald Trump presidential pardon spree for political allies and the well-connected on Tuesday evening, social media users began speculating about the possibility that the president would also be granting clemency to Kyle Rittenhouse, the Illinois teen drove across state lines in August and killed two men in Kenosha, Wisconsin. As several attorneys went on to point out on Twitter, however, the presidential pardon power extends only to federal crimes and the 17-year-old Rittenhouse does not face federal charges.

Edward64 01-18-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3324199)
I doubt he could afford one

Hah, this is a good one.

Lathum 01-18-2021 03:55 PM

derp- thats right

GrantDawg 01-18-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3324192)
Assange is not expected to get a pardon per the article. (It may have changed/updated though).

I am okay with Assange spending the rest of his life hiding in an embassy (or wherever is he now). I know there was something about a minor (?) but personally, it would have been fascinating for it to play out in US courts re: wiki leaks and 1A argument.

Earlier version did say he was expected, that paragraph has changed.

CrimsonFox 01-18-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

he probably gets a penisswinging display pardon with trump not realizing that it can't help him.

Ghost Econ 01-18-2021 06:40 PM

I see Stephen Miller released his race bating term paper on MLK day.

Ghost Econ 01-18-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3324067)
Even if servers make $20/hour, people would still tip and ruin it. It's too engrained in culture.

It's more likely to spread further into other services.

I mean, I went to Thailand and wasn't expected to tip and it was super easy not to tip.

whomario 01-18-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Econ (Post 3324219)
I see Stephen Miller released his race bating term paper on MLK day.

A term paper usually comes with a bibliography and foot/endnotes. This is essentially a elaborate right wing blog post. Which is where a lot of the framework and narratives originate.

The whole list of participants gets creepier the closer you look. And the whole "no one sided history ! Except the original version of course, because that's the true one and truth only has one side" narrative is just insane.

JediKooter 01-18-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3324016)
Of course, California among many other states already have $13-14 dollars minimum wage. Anybody there have a report of large restaurant closing (before covid)? Was the food at McDonald's too expensive to afford?
Most resurants in my area, including McDonald's are offering $10-12 dollars an hour to start.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nope, all was pretty normal up until covid. No dogs and cats raining from the sky or anything like that as well.

Edward64 01-18-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Econ (Post 3324222)
I mean, I went to Thailand and wasn't expected to tip and it was super easy not to tip.

FWIW, whenever I go to Asia, I tip regardless - restaurants, tour guides, tuk-tuk drivers etc. Your $ goes a way lot further than in Europe.

I always have to go google it to see if it's "appropriate" or "okay" or an "insult" (e.g. Japan) for a particular country.

molson 01-18-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3324235)
FWIW, whenever I go to Asia, I tip regardless - restaurants, tour guides, tuk-tuk drivers etc. Your $ goes a way lot further than in Europe.

I always have to go google it to see if it's "appropriate" or "okay" or an "insult" (e.g. Japan) for a particular country.

Ya, I've learned it's just easier to tip then stress over whether to.

I try very much in my travels to embrace and respect the local customs with this one exception - I'm going to be a typical idiot American and give people money when don't have to. I'm fine with that, especially in poorer countries.

Except Japan. I was told not to do it in Japan. Do you know of any others where it should be avoided so as not to offend?

larrymcg421 01-18-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3324236)

I try very much in my travels to embrace and respect the local customs with this one exception - I'm going to be a typical idiot American and give people money when don't have to. I'm fine with that, especially in poorer countries.

Except Japan. I was told not to do it in Japan. Do you know of any others where it should be avoided so as not to offend?

I was told one drawback to doing it elsewhere is it leads to staff giving better treatment to tourists than locals.

NobodyHere 01-18-2021 08:58 PM

I just avoid situations where I'm expected to tip. It's like a stealth guilty tax.

MrBug708 01-18-2021 10:07 PM

Anyone catch this?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...nal-Report.pdf

bhlloy 01-18-2021 10:15 PM

That’s a fun read knowing what happened at the Capitol. I’m surprised they didn’t manage to get a paragraph in there about the right way the founding fathers intended us to vote.

Galaril 01-18-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

South Korea as well.

CrimsonFox 01-18-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3324242)
I just avoid situations where I'm expected to tip. It's like a stealth guilty tax.

so you cook your own meals and maybe get take out then?

whomario 01-19-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3324246)

Yeah, that's what was mentioned above as "Millers term paper". Was too lazy to post the link.

It's an atrocity and in combination with that "garden of statues" declaration speaks volumes to a certain group of peoples understanding of History as sth that needs to be enshrined as unchanging based on a Status Quo agreed from above. With the intent to try and entertain just enough ideas of "good opposition" to create the illusion of neutrality.
And to do that you paint the "other side" in a way that's just very typical of right wing narratives. And shows a profound lack of understanding or lots of ignorance/strategy when it comes to the actual grievances.

whomario 01-19-2021 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3324247)
That’s a fun read knowing what happened at the Capitol. I’m surprised they didn’t manage to get a paragraph in there about the right way the founding fathers intended us to vote.

There has to be an opening about opposition to the Stamp Act and propping up the Postal Service with more mail voting. Then again, god kinda did send Moses a letter and letters feature prominently in the bible. So maybe they were conflicted here.

Edward64 01-19-2021 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3324236)

When I travel, I google on "tipping in (country)".

But here is a general article

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/article...ound-the-world

miked 01-19-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

I went to a restaurant in Beijing with a co-worker and she tried to tip the server. She followed us out and walked halfway down the block trying to give it back to us. Our tour guide for the great wall enjoyed the tip though.

miami_fan 01-19-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3324246)

Umm, that is interesting. Now I know the other side's perspective I guess.

albionmoonlight 01-19-2021 08:16 AM

As I saw someone remark the other night, that "essay" has strong "Webster's Dictionary defines 'American' as . . . " vibes.

miami_fan 01-19-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3314565)
Seems fairly straightforward why Lil Wayne backed Trump. Much like all of the other greaseballs associated with this administration, he needs a federal pardon.

https://www.eonline.com/ca/news/1209...and-ammunition

If the reports are correct, I want to make sure stevew gets full credit.

NobodyHere 01-19-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3324258)
so you cook your own meals and maybe get take out then?

yup.

For example today I'm expecting to get a shipment from HomeChef.

JPhillips 01-19-2021 09:06 AM

Pompeo takes the opportunity to tweet that multiculturalism is not who America is.

White nationalism till the end.

PilotMan 01-19-2021 09:10 AM

I mean the Puritans, by literal definition, weren't exactly multi-culturalists. One thing I've learned is that the definition of what makes "America" is malleable and has been fought over for centuries.

whomario 01-19-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3324280)
As I saw someone remark the other night, that "essay" has strong "Webster's Dictionary defines 'American' as . . . " vibes.

I liked Booker in an unrelated Interview calling this whole greater strategy/leaning a tendency to, instead of confronting shitty stuff in ones history and acounting for it (as every nation had to do and most did at some point*), create "Disneyland versions of america".

*and not alway immediately, this CAN happen even after X years or decades or even centuries have passed. Like how Germany failed to confront it after WWII apart from the bare minimum (as 'forced' by the allies) but then under pressure from a younger generation (and this wasn't always pretty) made big strides eventually. Or how New Zealand is at least trying to atone for past grievances and resulting structural and cultural issues with regard to the Maori population.

JPhillips 01-19-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3324295)
I mean the Puritans, by literal definition, weren't exactly multi-culturalists. One thing I've learned is that the definition of what makes "America" is malleable and has been fought over for centuries.

Even if you want to start at 1620 you also have to include the native populations, the Spanish, the Dutch, and enslaved Africans.

Atocep 01-19-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3324293)
Pompeo takes the opportunity to tweet that multiculturalism is not who America is.

White nationalism till the end.

Also this

Ben E Lou 01-19-2021 10:48 AM

The last sentence of this article might be the perfect epitaph for the Trump Presidency.

Trump supporter shocked after president commutes sentence of man who swindled him out of his life savings - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism

Quote:

Pugmire also said that the president's decision to commute the fraudster's sentence had shaken his faith in whether Trump has been truthful with his supporters.

"I had been trying to forget all this, but it makes you wonder, even being a Trump supporter, about his honesty," he said.

miami_fan 01-19-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3324313)

Yep that all folks

sterlingice 01-19-2021 12:27 PM

r/LeopardsAteMyFace

SI

cuervo72 01-19-2021 12:42 PM

Yeah, that's getting reposted.

QuikSand 01-19-2021 12:45 PM

I Prosecuted Robert Bales. He Should Never Receive a Pardon | Military.com

oh no reason

Thomkal 01-19-2021 03:58 PM

Sidney Powell drops her lawsuit to overturn Georgia's election 24 hours before Biden takes over. I really hope she represents her self in the Dominion Voting machines lawsuit

GrantDawg 01-19-2021 04:20 PM

As we leave the Trump presidency, this thread has over 31k posts. That is a huge number in 4 years on a message board with an ever shrinking number of posters. One thing Trump did. He definitely kept people talking.

cuervo72 01-19-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3324379)
As we leave the Trump presidency, this thread has over 31k posts. That is a huge number in 4 years on a message board with an ever shrinking number of posters. One thing Trump did. He definitely kept people talking.

And a whole fifth of some forumites' posts.

albionmoonlight 01-19-2021 04:43 PM

Can we get another 31k for his second term?

#QforLife

GrantDawg 01-19-2021 07:40 PM

How about a new political party? https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/...045134851?s=19

CrimsonFox 01-19-2021 07:48 PM

Here is a complete catelogued and recorded history of this administration. I warn you it is difficult to get through without shouting or gritting your teeth. I recommend excessive beverage and emotional support cookies

Lest We Forget the Horrors: A Catalog of Trump’s Worst Cruelties, Collusions, Corruptions, and Crimes: The Complete Listing (So Far): Atrocities 1-1,053 - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency

GrantDawg 01-19-2021 07:49 PM

I want this Patriot party to happen. It will hurt the GOP so much, but leave them both pretty weak. Of course, it also could leave me wishing I hadn't asked for it, but less likely.

miami_fan 01-19-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3324419)
I want this Patriot party to happen. It will hurt the GOP so much, but leave them both pretty weak. Of course, it also could leave me wishing I hadn't asked for it, but less likely.

I am not sure about it hurting the GOP necessarily just because I am not sure about the viability of any third party in the U.S. However, I would like to see the platform.

GrantDawg 01-19-2021 08:00 PM

The platform will be whatever Trump says.

GrantDawg 01-19-2021 08:04 PM

Dola: a Trump party would pull at least 15%. Heck, in Georgia it might actually outdraw the GOP.

PilotMan 01-19-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3324417)
How about a new political party? https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/...045134851?s=19

One of the hardest things about fighting Al-Qaeda was that they had no land, and they had no country. There was no easy place with which to wage war. ISIS was itself very difficult to deal with until they declared their location, as in their caliphate. The battle could then be fought in a place, against them. I bring this up, because this would be the very best thing for both major parties. It defines the support, breaks it away from the main political parties, and allows the fight against them and their craziness to be fought more cleanly. As long as they are undefined, and existing within the R party, they will both exist as a cancer, and as a symbiotic parasite able to survive and live off of it.

Lathum 01-19-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3324418)
Here is a complete catelogued and recorded history of this administration. I warn you it is difficult to get through without shouting or gritting your teeth. I recommend excessive beverage and emotional support cookies

Lest We Forget the Horrors: A Catalog of Trump’s Worst Cruelties, Collusions, Corruptions, and Crimes: The Complete Listing (So Far): Atrocities 1-1,053 - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency

The fact that he got elected after all the shit he pulled on the campaign trail, in addition to being a total moron, shows just how morally bankrupt a huge portion of our country is.

Edward64 01-19-2021 08:51 PM

I think a Trump Patriot Party will be fascinating in how it impacts US politics for the next 4-8-12 years. Overall, it will help the Dems and hurt the GOP.

However, I do think the party will quickly lose steam once Trump is gone into the dirt. I personally don't see Ivanka or Jr. having the cult-like-following that Trump has.

Thomkal 01-19-2021 09:13 PM

trump and Melania leave the White House for the last time at 8 am tomorrow morning.