Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

Edward64 09-01-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3299088)
I'd love the idea, but, c'mon:

A test group of 102?!? Like, that's one large hospital's worth of COVID patients. Could we try something a little more rigorous before running it to market?

I will be shocked(!) when it turns out it's more like 85% accurate, which is kindof a big damn deal.

SI

You're a glass half empty guy aren't you :)

Com'on, this is a big-enough-of-a-win to celebrate some even if it is only 85% accurate.

sterlingice 09-01-2020 03:22 PM

I'm glad we're working towards a fast test. And, yes, 85% would be something. But, c'mon, a 102 person test and not validated by the FDA (which is rushing to fast track stuff as is)? That's awful science. Wait 2 more weeks and test hundreds more. It's not as if we're lacking for test subjects when we have tens of thousands getting infected daily.

Scientifically, it's maybe a step above, say, using a 42 patient study with disparate cohorts to prove a particular drug works to cure an ailment.

SI

JPhillips 09-01-2020 04:20 PM

The U.S. is pulling out of a multi-nation effort to produce a vaccine and going alone.

Ksyrup 09-01-2020 05:10 PM

That's because Trump is forcing through a vaccine and wants to take total credit for it before the election.

NobodyHere 09-03-2020 09:48 AM

The Rock has announced he's gotten the covid.

Here's wishing he drops the People's Elbow on it.

spleen1015 09-03-2020 11:07 AM

Ben E Lou 09-03-2020 11:34 AM

That....doesn’t sound good.

AlexB 09-03-2020 11:40 AM

Similar story recently about a top French rugby team, but lung damage

Coronavirus: Stade Francais rugby players develop lung lesions after contracting COVID-19 | World News | Sky News

Edit: although after a bit more reading up on what lung lesions are, and how they are caused / treated, this one falls into the overly scary headline. Benign lung lesions often form after pneumonia, and are easily treated with antibiotics

albionmoonlight 09-03-2020 11:42 AM

Fuck this fucking virus. Heart damage. Lung damage.

What the fucking fuck.

Stop being such a stupid fucking virus.

Kodos 09-03-2020 11:53 AM

I'm sure a certain segment of the population will be like "Life's full of risk and uncertainty. Play on!"

sterlingice 09-03-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3299477)
I'm sure a certain segment of the population will be like "Life's full of risk and uncertainty. Play on!"

There's always been a decent number of people willing to risk your life for their own gain

SI

Kodos 09-03-2020 12:37 PM

Or even just for their entertainment.

henry296 09-03-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3299473)
That....doesn’t sound good.

I'm curious if that rate is any different for non-athletes? I'm guessing they didn't get the expensive MRI test.

sterlingice 09-03-2020 12:37 PM

So the sexy new COVID theory (I mean a science-based one, not some bullshit peddling one like the 6% thing) is around something called bradykinin (which, honestly, I'd never heard of before yesterday):

Is a Bradykinin Storm Brewing in COVID-19? | The Scientist Magazine®
https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63

SI

Ben E Lou 09-03-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 3299489)
I'm curious if that rate is any different for non-athletes? I'm guessing they didn't get the expensive MRI test.

Yeah, that was the crux of what spurred my comment. We’re not far enough into this thing to have even an intuitive feel for long-term impacts, and the great majority of people who are infected and recover aren’t getting an MRI.

Brian Swartz 09-03-2020 12:54 PM

Kirk Cousins says hello.

JPhillips 09-03-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3299491)
Yeah, that was the crux of what spurred my comment. We’re not far enough into this thing to have even an intuitive feel for long-term impacts, and the great majority of people who are infected and recover aren’t getting an MRI.

Hopefully, these are short term problems that will heal, but we just don't know. Will these heart problems linger for athletes? Will it shorten careers? Does it raise the risk of early death? Maybe we don't need to assume the worst case, but I think we need to take precautions because we don't know what it is coming for people five, ten, thirty years down the line.

stevew 09-03-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3299477)

don't choose to live in fear, man!

Kodos 09-03-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3299497)
don't choose to live in fear, man!

I usually have the urge to punch those folks in the face.

stevew 09-03-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3299502)
I usually have the urge to punch those folks in the face.

them and the "it's just the flu, people!" people are funny. I know the flu is theoretically deadly but it literally never enters my calculations. This isn't super deadly or anything but all those unknown side effects are enough to give me pause.

bhlloy 09-03-2020 03:23 PM

We spent all weekend with our friends who are covid deniers and “it’s just the flu” - plus they know a nurse and they don’t have any covid patients so it’s a big hoax.

My answer to that was basically sure it’s the flu - if we didn’t have 100 years of knowledge on how to treat and care for at risk people who have the flu or any vaccine for said people. I mean let’s not forget that the worse pandemic in modern history was “just” the flu.

Kodos 09-03-2020 03:27 PM

So was Captain Trips.

thesloppy 09-03-2020 03:51 PM

Let alone that as far as I can tell anybody who thinks "it's just the flu" isn't even accounting for the concept of ANOTHER ongoing flu when they say that.....they think that saying "covid is just the flu" somehow means (results-of-covid)+(results-of-flu)=(results-of-flu).

sterlingice 09-03-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3299533)
So was Captain Trips.

Summer colds are the worst

SI

Ksyrup 09-03-2020 10:37 PM

Local news station posted an article about a Canadian health expert recommending people wear masks during sex, and someone commented: "Does a ball gag count"? Ha!

albionmoonlight 09-04-2020 05:03 PM

Edward64 09-04-2020 07:10 PM

Interesting article on the covid impact on real estate in cities. Basically people are moving out of bigger cities like NY, Boston, LA, SF and going to cheaper places like suburbia or even lower cost of living states like FL.

I love to visit NYC but can't imagine living there long-term in an apartment that is 1/3 the size of my house in Atlanta at 2-3 times the cost.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/31/succe...rbs/index.html
Quote:

Signed contracts for sales of condos and co-ops in Manhattan, for example, plunged nearly 60% in July, while contracts for single-family homes in areas outside of New York City skyrocketed, according to a recent report from brokerage firm Douglas Elliman and Miller Samuel.

Similar shifts are playing out in suburban areas around other major cities. Norfolk County, outside of Boston, saw a 38% increase in new contracts for single-family homes in July over last year, according to Compass. Collin County, Texas, outside of Dallas, saw a 58% increase. San Bernardino County, outside of Los Angeles, saw a 62% jump and Marin County, outside of San Francisco, saw a 77% increase over last year.

GrantDawg 09-04-2020 07:39 PM

I have mentioned before, but the Real Estate market here is insane. Houses don't last two days on the market.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Izulde 09-04-2020 07:46 PM

OTOH, I'm starting to see some early signs of a housing market crash in Las Vegas. It might just be people way overvaluing their properties initially, but I'm seeing a lot of places get price drops lately.

Lathum 09-04-2020 08:32 PM

We live on the Jersey Shore, about an hour south of NYC. Train station to NYC 5 minutes away. Bus station 5 minutes away. Beach 5 minutes away. Real estate here is flying. Friend listed her deceased fathers house and got an offer for full asking price, 560K, the same day they listed it.

whomario 09-05-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 3299489)

How Covid-19 Coronavirus May Cause Heart Damage, Here Are Two New Studies

Quote:

They followed up with 100 patients in the State of Hesse (which rhymes with “bench press”) who had previously tested positive for the SARS-CoV2.

For the study, these patients underwent MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of their hearts and blood testing to check for evidence of heart damage. This didn’t happen right after their Covid-19 coronavirus diagnoses but a median of 71 days afterwards, which is over two months after the initial diagnosis. These also were people who were still fairly young at heart, literally, with the median age being 49 years old. Many of them hadn’t gotten super-sick either, as two-thirds of the patients hadn’t even been hospitalized.

Nevertheless, the MRIs did show that 78% of the patients had some type of abnormality in their hearts. These ranged from signs of inflammation to enlarged left ventricles to decreased ability of their hearts to pump blood to the rest of the body. Many of these findings were consistent with patients having myocarditis or pericarditis.

And you know what ? Most of them will be fine for years. But any sort of heart damage is not sth i would want to start carrying around any more/earlier than necessary. Kinda need that thing humming smoothly, as well as them lungs, for quality of life i'd say.

henry296 09-05-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3299835)

And you know what ? Most of them will be fine for years. But any sort of heart damage is not sth i would want to start carrying around any more/earlier than necessary. Kinda need that thing humming smoothly, as well as them lungs, for quality of life i'd say.

I get that heart damage is a side effect. While I haven't done extensive research, I haven't seen anything that tells me being a member of a college football team increases the risk of either contracting COVID-19 or having more significant impacts from it. Therefore, having on campus college or not is the question but if you decide to have students on campus then you should also allow football. I don't think having students on campus is the right thing, but I think you should make a consistent decision between your general student population and your athletes.

Edward64 09-05-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3299798)
I have mentioned before, but the Real Estate market here is insane. Houses don't last two days on the market.

I assume you are referring to Covington which is midway between Atlanta and Augusta? I wouldn't think there is substantial house price or COL difference between Atlanta and Covington.

What do you attribute the hot market to? Is it people moving away from Atlanta or not a lot of houses for sale because people are sitting tight?

I went on zillow to check my house valuation. It hasn't budged much if at all and there hasn't been a lot of recent sales (red dot markers). I am a little surprised because during the GR there were noticeably many more zillow red dots in the neighborhood.

Just one data point that indicates that this melt down isn't quite as bad as the GR (or at least, not yet) to homeowners. I am guessing that commercial real estate (as in office space) will be substantially hurt as companies renegotiates to reduce their sq ft in 2-3-4 years.

JPhillips 09-05-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 3299839)
I get that heart damage is a side effect. While I haven't done extensive research, I haven't seen anything that tells me being a member of a college football team increases the risk of either contracting COVID-19 or having more significant impacts from it. Therefore, having on campus college or not is the question but if you decide to have students on campus then you should also allow football. I don't think having students on campus is the right thing, but I think you should make a consistent decision between your general student population and your athletes.

Football observes far fewer of the masking/distancing rules than is expected from the general student population. Many "normal" college activities are not taking place this semester. For example, I'm not able to produce a play due to safety concerns for the actors/crew.

JPhillips 09-05-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

How does Hesse rhyme with "bench press"?

GrantDawg 09-05-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3299841)
I assume you are referring to Covington which is midway between Atlanta and Augusta? I wouldn't think there is substantial house price or COL difference between Atlanta and Covington.

What do you attribute the hot market to? Is it people moving away from Atlanta or not a lot of houses for sale because people are sitting tight?

I went on zillow to check my house valuation. It hasn't budged much if at all and there hasn't been a lot of recent sales (red dot markers). I am a little surprised because during the GR there were noticeably many more zillow red dots in the neighborhood.

Just one data point that indicates that this melt down isn't quite as bad as the GR (or at least, not yet) to homeowners. I am guessing that commercial real estate (as in office space) will be substantially hurt as companies renegotiates to reduce their sq ft in 2-3-4 years.

I am dealing mostly with Conyers-Covington-Loganville-Monroe-Madison. All of those areas seem to be selling like hot-cakes. I am mostly seeing people moving out of Atlanta, or people that may have went north of Atlanta last year, but choose to move here instead because of the house pricing being lower. All the people that are selling (almost every single one) are looking to move further out (Madison mostly). They all seem to want the same thing, a few acres to build a house on that is not in a subdivision. I think only 10-20% already have a place in mind to move to when they sell. They have no idea that trying to buy less than 100 acres or more than a half acre lot in a subdivision is almost impossible out there.

AlexB 09-05-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing that most if not all, of these people had not had MRIs before, so we don't know for sure that these conditions were not present beforehand too, especially those that will have no effects for years to come (and therefore if they were present pre-Covid would not have given any reason for the people to got to the doctors or have an MRI)

The only way we know for sure is to do MRIs for people who had already had MRIs before they were sick with Covid

cuervo72 09-05-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3299852)
They have no idea that trying to buy less than 100 acres or more than a half acre lot in a subdivision is almost impossible out there.

Everyone who has land wants to sell it to a developer for the $$$. (Or in the case of 100+ acres, keep it farmland, I suppose.)

miked 09-05-2020 02:36 PM

My brother lives in Bloomfield, a suburb of NYC right next to where we grew up (Montclair). He listed his house at 370k last week, probably a little under market. Went away for a few days to the shore and had 58 showings in the first 4 days and 12 offers. Ended up getting a contract at $430k with the buyer saying they would ignore the first 3k of inspection issues (if any) and would cover an appraisal difference up to $415k.

sterlingice 09-05-2020 03:27 PM

I just don't get it - where are the wages coming through to justify this because real wages are not moving like the real estate market is

SI

miked 09-05-2020 04:38 PM

There are a ton of people with jobs that are leaving NYC. They are tired of paying big rent and can work from anywhere.

Edward64 09-05-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3299890)
I just don't get it - where are the wages coming through to justify this because real wages are not moving like the real estate market is

SI

I think the scenario is people currently paying rent/mortgage in a big, expensive city moving to cheaper suburbia because they are now allowed to work remote. Wouldn't be surprised if they save money by moving to suburbia.

bhlloy 09-05-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked (Post 3299893)
There are a ton of people with jobs that are leaving NYC. They are tired of paying big rent and can work from anywhere.

Which makes sense and I agree, but the weird thing is we're seeing houses moving like hotcakes in LA as well (2 of our friends have moved and got well above offering and part cash).

The 2 scenarios I can think of that make a little sense are either prospectors betting on a big rebound in 2021 or people who are moving out of expensive neighborhoods closer to LA to the Valley (because of remote work) but either way, we've seen the same and I have no idea who is buying 2 million dollar houses above asking prices in the middle of a pandemic, and it doesn't line up with the stats that show people leaving LA and California in droves.

Edward64 09-05-2020 05:15 PM

I'll assume there was plenty of orientation about the rules and warning about dismissal if violated. Even so, if this was their first violation, I would be inclined to give them a no-third chance warning and have them quarantine themselves.

Don't agree about the keeping the $36,500 tuition if kicking them out though. Glad to see schools taking this seriously. I'll have to ask my kids about how serious their colleges really are.

bars
Quote:

Northeastern ousts 11 students for violating safety protocols, and keeps their $36,500 tuition.

In one of the harshest punishments imposed to date against students for violations of coronavirus safety protocols, Northeastern University dismissed 11 first-year students this week and declined to refund their $36,500 tuition after they were discovered crowded into a room at a Boston hotel serving as a temporary dormitory.

About 800 students are staying in two-person rooms at the hotel, the Westin, which is less than a mile from Northeastern’s Boston campus.

Two university staff members making rounds on Wednesday evening discovered the gathering, which violated university rules against any “guests, visitors or additional occupants,” the university said in a news release.

In addition, the students were not wearing masks or practicing social distancing, in defiance of university requirements, a university spokeswoman, Renata Nyul, said.

JPhillips 09-05-2020 05:25 PM

Only schools like Northwestern can get away with that. Less prestigious schools can't get away with stuff like that.

Ksyrup 09-05-2020 05:35 PM

My old company learned the remote working lesson from Superstorm Sandy. They had a ton of office space in Manhattan but saw how effectively most people worked from home for several months when they had to, and during the next year took steps to get out of leases and use the remaining office space for "hotelling" people in and out of the office when needed.

Fast forward several years, and I talked to a guy who is based just outside NYC who is interviewing for my old job. He said the biggest appeal of it is that they will let him work anywhere he wants, so he and his wife are looking at it as an opportunity to pick any place in the country to move if he takes the job, and they have no interest in staying in or around NYC.

Alan T 09-05-2020 05:39 PM

My cousin is one of those who moved out of nyc. Her long time boyfriend is high risk and they were uncomfortable with the impact of being in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Izulde 09-05-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3299895)
I think the scenario is people currently paying rent/mortgage in a big, expensive city moving to cheaper suburbia because they are now allowed to work remote. Wouldn't be surprised if they save money by moving to suburbia.

Yep. Once my townhouse sells in Vegas (which has been no end of drama and expense and fuck the lazy shitstain asbestos tester when I bought the place - costing me almost $5,800 which pretty much wipes out all the profit I'll get from selling) and I buy the place here in town, my monthly housing costs go from $1,000 a month to like $350 a month. So that's $650 a month in my back pocket. Plus with the two jobs (teaching and copywriting), I'm making more money than I ever have before.

whomario 09-06-2020 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3299880)
I'm guessing that most if not all, of these people had not had MRIs before, so we don't know for sure that these conditions were not present beforehand too, especially those that will have no effects for years to come (and therefore if they were present pre-Covid would not have given any reason for the people to got to the doctors or have an MRI)

The only way we know for sure is to do MRIs for people who had already had MRIs before they were sick with Covid

Radiology technicians (i know a few) do plenty of MRIs for checkups every week. That percentage is insanely unusual in any group and would border on the most coincidental coincidence in history. You don't even get close to that when you suspect sth to be wrong and test that amount of people.

And on top of that the study authors are not laypeople just looking at numbers/checking yes/no boxes etc either, you can judge very well how recent inflammation and other damage etc is from the images. You can say with high certainty the damage ocurred in the same timeframe they had Covid.

Edward64 09-06-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 3299941)
Plus with the two jobs (teaching and copywriting), I'm making more money than I ever have before.

How is the copywriting business? Could you ever see that as bringing in the majority of your income one day?

I've read copywriting was something globe-trotting "digital nomads" can do (e.g. me in retirement).

JPhillips 09-08-2020 06:47 AM

spleen1015 09-08-2020 07:03 AM

That's incredible.

Ksyrup 09-08-2020 07:07 AM

Effing Smashmouth!

sterlingice 09-08-2020 09:41 AM

That seems a really high estimate

SI

stevew 09-08-2020 09:45 AM

Kristi Noem is going to be a problem. Something like letting Sturgis go on should tank any career she'd have in politics but I figure it will make her an early front runner in 2024.

PilotMan 09-08-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3300183)
Kristi Noem is going to be a problem. Something like letting Sturgis go on should tank any career she'd have in politics but I figure it will make her an early front runner in 2024.

This showed up in my email yesterday from my Dad. I simply LOLed back at him and then posted a link to stats that showed that the 11x less stat that's there was total bullshit. He didn't reply, but many of his like minded military buddies sure liked it.

JPhillips 09-08-2020 06:14 PM

Hopefully this isn't a big problem with the vaccine, but it's a good illustration of why you need complete testing for a drug you plan to give to tens of millions of people.

RainMaker 09-08-2020 06:23 PM

That Sturgis number seems high but didn't they find most of the cases in Italy could be traced back to a soccer match?

Edward64 09-08-2020 09:22 PM

Some pretty good news I guess. Probably premature with the "near perfect" but I understand having to keep momentum for your company and play to the market.

There's a fair (or more than negligible) change that real & legit good/great vaccine news will come out before Nov.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/healt...grm/index.html
Quote:

Pfizer and BioNTech are confident they can have a vaccine against the novel coronavirus ready for regulatory approval by the middle of October or early November, BioNTech CEO and co-founder Ugur Sahin told CNN Tuesday.

"It has an excellent profile and I consider this vaccine ... near perfect, and which has a near perfect profile," Sahin said in an exclusive interview with CNN.

US drug giant Pfizer and German firm BioNTech say they plan to provide 100 million doses of their vaccine candidate, BNT162, by the end of the year, and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021.

In July, the US Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Defense announced a $1.95 billion agreement with Pfizer to produce 100 million doses of a Covid-19 vaccine. The deal also allows the US government to acquire an additional 500 million doses.

Sahin told CNN he believes that approval for emergency use will be granted quickly by regulatory authorities, adding that the company's "understanding of the mode of action, in combination with the safety data coming in from the running trial" meant that they have "a lot of confidence" in it.

Edward64 09-09-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3299798)

Good news for you!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/09/mort...-year-ago.html
Quote:

The end of August usually marks the beginning of the slow season for housing, but as with everything else, this year’s trends are like no other.

Mortgage applications to purchase a home rose 3% last week from the previous week and were a stunning 40% higher from a year ago, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association’s seasonally adjusted index. The year-on-year comparison is usually in single digits. While it may have been skewed slightly by the Labor Day holiday,which fell earlier last year, purchase demand is still running significantly higher than a year ago.

Buyers are still getting significant incentive from low mortgage rates. The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with conforming loan balances up to $510,400 fell to 3.07% from 3.08%, with points remaining unchanged at 0.36, including the origination fee, for loans with a 20% down payment.

For the 15-year fixed, the rate declined to a record low of 2.62% on conventional loans.

“There continues to be resiliency in the purchase market,” said Joel Kan, an MBA economist. “The average loan size continued to increase, hitting a survey high at $368,600. Highlighting the strong overall demand for buying a home, conventional, VA and FHA purchase applications all increased last week.”

Lathum 09-09-2020 08:11 AM

https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63

Edward64 09-09-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3300321)

Thanks for the read.

Quote:

Covid-19 is like a burglar who slips in your unlocked second-floor window and starts to ransack your house. Once inside, though, they don’t just take your stuff — they also throw open all your doors and windows so their accomplices can rush in and help pillage more efficiently.
:
:
The end result, the researchers say, is to release a bradykinin storm — a massive, runaway buildup of bradykinin in the body. According to the bradykinin hypothesis, it’s this storm that is ultimately responsible for many of Covid-19’s deadly effects.

Theory that vitamin D may help.

Quote:

As Jacobson and team point out, several drugs target aspects of the RAS and are already FDA approved to treat other conditions. They could arguably be applied to treating Covid-19 as well. Several, like danazol, stanozolol, and ecallantide, reduce bradykinin production and could potentially stop a deadly bradykinin storm. Others, like icatibant, reduce bradykinin signaling and could blunt its effects once it’s already in the body.

Interestingly, Jacobson’s team also suggests vitamin D as a potentially useful Covid-19 drug. The vitamin is involved in the RAS system and could prove helpful by reducing levels of another compound, known as REN. Again, this could stop potentially deadly bradykinin storms from forming. The researchers note that vitamin D has already been shown to help those with Covid-19. The vitamin is readily available over the counter, and around 20% of the population is deficient. If indeed the vitamin proves effective at reducing the severity of bradykinin storms, it could be an easy, relatively safe way to reduce the severity of the virus.

Other compounds could treat symptoms associated with bradykinin storms. Hymecromone, for example, could reduce hyaluronic acid levels, potentially stopping deadly hydrogels from forming in the lungs. And timbetasin could mimic the mechanism that the researchers believe protects women from more severe Covid-19 infections. All of these potential treatments are speculative, of course, and would need to be studied in a rigorous, controlled environment before their effectiveness could be determined and they could be used more broadly.

And here's how to get vitamin D.

How to Get Vitamin D: 7 Effective Ways
1. Spend time in sunlight
2. Fatty fish and seafood
3. Mushrooms
4. Egg yolks
5. Fortified foods (cow, soy, almond, hemp milk; orange juice; tofu)
6. Supplements (vitamins). My multi-vitamin has 50% of recommended daily dose

sterlingice 09-09-2020 09:35 AM

Dude, Sportsdigs had this last week :p

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778)

SI

Edward64 09-09-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3300326)

Sorry.

JPhillips 09-09-2020 09:43 AM

I never knew Andre 3000 was talking about coronavirus protection.

sterlingice 09-09-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3300328)
Sorry.

I was more busting Lathum's chops for the repost :p

SI

Atocep 09-09-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3300322)
Stanozolol

Should we expect a Covid treatment book from Canseco?

Coffee Warlord 09-09-2020 06:03 PM

Email from my kid's school.

1 kid was at school displaying "Covid-Like Symptoms" (which is like, everything under the sun). Tested negative. However, they are still sending that kid's entire class home to quarantine for 2 weeks.

In short ... an entire classroom is sent home for 2 weeks because a kid had a cold. Or allergies.

Lathum 09-09-2020 06:23 PM

Shit like that makes me crazy. You can’t go back to in person school then push the panic button when someone inevitably gets sick.

Ben E Lou 09-09-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3300445)
Shit like that makes me crazy. You can’t go back to in person school then push the panic button when someone inevitably gets sick.

It’s like the whole thing is disingenuous. I’ve been more attuned to this with regard to higher eds that brought thousands of 18-22-year-olds on campus and then shut down over the inevitable asymptomatic positive tests, but it’s a similar dynamic here. If you were gonna shut down over sniffles, why’d you even bother opening in the first place???

Coffee Warlord 09-09-2020 07:51 PM

Exactly.

It gets better here, too. Colorado has had major wildfire issues lately. Air quality has been shit. PLUS, we just went from 90 degrees on Sunday, to 30 degrees and snow. And it'll be back to 80 by Friday. Think that's not going to trigger allergies and colds? They'll be lucky to have a single class still in person if they're gonna keep this nonsense up.

Ksyrup 09-10-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3300456)
It’s like the whole thing is disingenuous. I’ve been more attuned to this with regard to higher eds that brought thousands of 18-22-year-olds on campus and then shut down over the inevitable asymptomatic positive tests, but it’s a similar dynamic here. If you were gonna shut down over sniffles, why’d you even bother opening in the first place???

From what I can tell - from a state that is largely keeping kids home - it's simply a political relief valve. Parents want their kids in school for a variety of reasons, and so in a bunch of places, school districts are going to give them what they want until there's justification to do what they should have done to begin with.

In sports, it's the equivalent of starting the senior because he's supposed to get the job and you don't want to hear it from the parents and letting him fail so you have clear-cut evidence that the freshman is better.

Edward64 09-10-2020 01:16 PM

TBH a shortage of test subject monkeys never occurred to me.

COVID vaccine, treatment trials create monkey shortage for science
Quote:

The race for a coronavirus vaccine to help end the pandemic has consumed the scientific community and created an escalating demand for an essential resource: monkeys.

Before drug companies call on human volunteers, monkeys are used in preclinical trials to test a vaccine’s safety and effectiveness. But with more than 100 vaccines in development around the world, there aren’t enough monkeys to go around.

“There is a shortage,” said Dr. Skip Bohm, associate director and chief veterinary medical officer of the Tulane National Primate Research Center.

Like other aspects of society, the pandemic has underscored an already existing problem. Nonhuman primate research centers have been strained in recent years because of restrictions on imported monkeys from countries like China and India, and a lack of funding to support domestic breeding.

“We’ve always been in a state where we were always very close to the level of production to meeting the demand for research, and that has been the status for several years,” Bohm said. “When the COVID pandemic came about, that just pressed us even further.”

I wondered what PETA's stance is with coronavirus testing of animals and found a statement.
Quote:

As the coronavirus outbreak threatens to become a worldwide pandemic, laboratories are busy planning to infect animals in deadly pathogen tests—even though this antiquated 19th century approach has a history of delaying treatments, wasting funds, and causing more harm to human patients, who are now suffering from dangerous 21st century diseases. The public is fearful of this coronavirus, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that killing animals in laboratories will be the solution. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and given that the pathogens that cause pandemics typically jump from farmed animals to humans, it’s time to stop breeding and eating billions of animals each year. Concerned people should go vegan, since filthy farms and markets crammed full of sick animals are breeding grounds for both viruses and superbugs.

albionmoonlight 09-10-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3300492)
From what I can tell - from a state that is largely keeping kids home - it's simply a political relief valve. Parents want their kids in school for a variety of reasons, and so in a bunch of places, school districts are going to give them what they want until there's justification to do what they should have done to begin with.

In sports, it's the equivalent of starting the senior because he's supposed to get the job and you don't want to hear it from the parents and letting him fail so you have clear-cut evidence that the freshman is better.

That's a good analogy.

thesloppy 09-10-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3300561)
TBH a shortage of test subject monkeys never occurred to me.

When I was very first employed I ran across a job that was for something like "Head of Maintenance at an Animal Research Facility" and reading a little further it became obvious that they were looking for someone to clean up the chimp testing facility every day & they did their best to fill the ad with lots of positive talk of the benefits and the 'beautiful facilities' but I can't think of a worse job "No thanks, I'll keep my soul."

Edward64 09-10-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3300564)
When I was very first employed I ran across a job that was for something like "Head of Maintenance at an Animal Research Facility" and reading a little further it became obvious that they were looking for someone to clean up the chimp testing facility every day & they did their best to fill the ad with lots of positive talk of the benefits and the 'beautiful facilities' but I can't think of a worse job "No thanks, I'll keep my soul."

I want to believe test animals are treated as humanely as possible but my gut tells me it's maybe a couple levels better than a cow processing facility.

molson 09-10-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3300566)
I want to believe test animals are treated as humanely as possible but my gut tells me it's maybe a couple levels better than a cow processing facility.

We tried to adopt a dog from the Beagle Freedom project - a group that adopts beagles out from testing facilities. Beagles are chosen for that role because they tend not to fight back no matter what testers do to them.

It's a very secretive process. The labs are willing to play ball and release some dogs to the group for adoption, but, for most of them, the group is not allowed to post the dogs online like a typical rescue might. They don't want anyone to know where the dogs come from exactly and what companies are involved. (This is mostly cosmetics and other household item testing done by large corporations). So you just put your name on a list and you might be contacted if the group is able to get dogs from a mystery lab in your area.

Edward64 09-10-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3300567)
We tried to adopt a dog from the Beagle Freedom project - a group that adopts beagles out from testing facilities. Beagles are chosen for that role because they tend not to fight back no matter what testers do to them.

Hey, good for you. My opinion of you has gone up significantly! :)

Quote:

It's a very secretive process. The labs are willing to play ball and release some dogs to the group for adoption, but, for most of them, the group is not allowed to post the dogs online like a typical rescue might. They don't want anyone to know where the dogs come from exactly and what companies are involved. (This is mostly cosmetics and other household item testing done by large corporations). So you just put your name on a list and you might be contacted if the group is able to get dogs from a mystery lab in your area.

You bring up a good point about cosmetics.

I know there is a lot of gray area. However, animal testing for coronavirus vaccine/therapeutics is a no brainer to me. Animal testing for cosmetics is unnecessary. I can't help but feel there is more animal testing than is actually needed because it's convenient or cost effective.

Edward64 09-11-2020 05:35 AM

PSA: avoid eating inside a restaurant.

Haven't eaten inside a restaurant since forever now. We did contemplate eating outside at a Mellow Mushroom but decided against it. I do miss it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/healt...ess/index.html
Quote:

Adults who tested positive for Covid-19 were approximately twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant in the 14 days before becoming ill than those who tested negative, according to a new study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"In addition to dining at a restaurant, case-patients were more likely to report going to a bar/coffee shop, but only when the analysis was restricted to participants without close contact with persons with known COVID-19 before illness onset," the researchers wrote.
:
:
Adults who tested positive for Covid-19 were approximately twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant in the 14 days before becoming ill than those who tested negative, according to a new study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"In addition to dining at a restaurant, case-patients were more likely to report going to a bar/coffee shop, but only when the analysis was restricted to participants without close contact with persons with known COVID-19 before illness onset," the researchers wrote.
Quote:

As states reopen, the CDC's guidelines for restaurants and bars list dining options from the lowest to the highest risk on the agency's website:
  • Lowest risk: Food service limited to drive-through, delivery, takeout and curbside pickup.
  • More risk: On-site dining limited to outdoor seating. Seating capacity reduced to allow tables to be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
  • Even more risk: On-site dining with both indoor and outdoor seating. Seating capacity reduced to allow tables to be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
  • Highest risk: On-site dining with both indoor and outdoor seating. Seating capacity not reduced and tables not spaced at least 6 feet apart.

NobodyHere 09-11-2020 10:15 AM

A group of students knew they had covid-19. They hosted a party over Labor Day anyway.

ISiddiqui 09-11-2020 10:31 AM

I mean it's definitely student logic though... we all have Covid, so why can't we have a party together?

Atocep 09-11-2020 10:59 AM

I can say there's a Pac12 baseball program that isn't making kids with clear COVID symptoms get tested, isn't doing tracing, and isn't having kids that do test positive notify their family, and quarantining is inconsistent based on who you are. One highly regarded freshman left last weekend and will likely transfer because of what's going on there.

Lathum 09-11-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3300737)
I can say there's a Pac12 baseball program that isn't making kids with clear COVID symptoms get tested, isn't doing tracing, and isn't having kids that do test positive notify their family, and quarantining is inconsistent based on who you are. One highly regarded freshman left last weekend and will likely transfer because of what's going on there.

ASU?

Atocep 09-11-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3300739)
ASU?

You got the last 2 letters correct.

Lathum 09-11-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3300746)
You got the last 2 letters correct.

Cougin it! hahah

Ksyrup 09-11-2020 12:16 PM

Haven't eaten inside a restaurant since March 7th, I think it was. Wasn't planning on it until next year at earliest.

Ben E Lou 09-11-2020 12:58 PM

If we’re still not sure about the possibility that people with antibodies can be re-infected, does that also call into question our ability to create an effective vaccine?

sterlingice 09-11-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3300760)
If we’re still not sure about the possibility that people with antibodies can be re-infected, does that also call into question our ability to create an effective vaccine?

It very much remains to be seen. But I think the consensus is that this will be more like the flu vaccine (yearly and quasi-effective) than, say, an MMR shot that you get one or twice and are done with. COVID-19 appears to mutate slower than the flu but still faster than many other viruses.

SI

albionmoonlight 09-11-2020 01:14 PM

What I have been reading is that we will, hopefully, be able to engineer a vaccine that produces better immunity than actual infection does.

And, hopefully, with yearly boosters, that supercharged immunity will be enough.

ISiddiqui 09-11-2020 01:23 PM

One of my friends has been trying to make the "Vid" a thing. We have to constantly tell him, there is already a shortened version of the name: "Rona".

spleen1015 09-11-2020 01:37 PM

Even before the shutdown and this became a big deal, whenever anyone in the office coughed or sneezed someone would say "You got da Rona!"

Brian Swartz 09-11-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64
PSA: avoid eating inside a restaurant.

[sarcasm] Why do you hate our essential workers? Do you have turpentine in your soul?!? [/sarcasm]

ISiddiqui 09-11-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3300770)
Even before the shutdown and this became a big deal, whenever anyone in the office coughed or sneezed someone would say "You got da Rona!"

Yeah. Why try to make something else a thing? Also when I hear Vid, I think of a YouTube video.

ISiddiqui 09-11-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3300771)
[sarcasm] Why do you hate our essential workers? Do you have turpentine in your soul?!? [/sarcasm]

Does that help? Should we be doing that?!! ;)

JPhillips 09-11-2020 08:38 PM

The OSU athlete study is out. The 30-35% number is not accurate but out of 26 athletes scanned,

Quote:

4 with myocarditis, all male, fortunately with preserved ejection fraction, 2 had a pericardial effusion
8 additional athletes with suggestive pattern of heart injury, without inflammation c/w myocarditis

Edward64 09-11-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3300771)

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Just trying to do a public service to keep the right wing extremists, right leaning moderates, left leaning moderates & left wing extremists folks on this board safe.

(And don't forget to take your vitamin D supplements)

Edward64 09-13-2020 11:10 PM

We went to Costco early morning and picked up supplies (can't beat their bacon and some frozen meals).

Everyone was playing nice except for this woman who was louder than she needed to be when talking to her family, she had her mask under her nose. One of those covidiots.

BTW my regular Costco multi-vitamin (Kirkland brand) was only like 65% of Vitamin D daily dose and got some One-a-day which was like 125%. Beats me how really effective Vitamin D is but it does reassure me some that I now get more than the recommended daily dose.

Edward64 09-15-2020 12:35 PM

From our favorite family doctor, he recommends Vitamin D & C.

The 2 Vitamins Dr. Fauci Says You Should Take to Boost Immunity
Quote:

That's why Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), recommends two vitamins you should take to boost your immunity: vitamin C and vitamin D.
:
A study published on Sept. 3 by the Journal of the American Medical Association found that having a vitamin D deficiency increases your risk of testing positive for the coronavirus by nearly 80 percent. This was after studying 489 subjects, 60 percent of whom had adequate vitamin D levels. Out of that 60 percent, only 12 percent had the virus. But among the among the 25 percent of patients with a vitamin D deficiency, 22 percent tested positive.Another study found that vitamin D could even help those already infected with the virus.
:
But Fauci also mentioned vitamin C in his interview. "The other vitamin that people take is vitamin C because it's a good antioxidant, so if people want to take a gram or two, at most, of vitamin C, that would be fine," he said.There is more research on the direct link between the coronavirus and vitamin D than on the relationship between COVID and vitamin C. However, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) does note that vitamin C "plays an important role in immune function,"

Edward64 09-15-2020 09:36 PM

FWIW, somewhat reassuring graphic on 7 day average for deaths.

Zoom In Icon
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/imag...99&w=740&h=435

Ben E Lou 09-17-2020 05:30 PM

We are soooooo bad at this.