Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Steam Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=83047)

MizzouRah 06-06-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oykib (Post 3031675)
I've had a lot of fun with it. Check out a let's play to see if it's for you. It's th sort of game where you'll gt your $10-15 worth. But th scenarios can seem somewhat similar after a while. You might only come back to play the game every few months.

Planet of the Apes

I bought it and killed everyone with my MACK-6 virus! On easy of course!

Pretty cool game!

oykib 06-06-2015 09:05 AM

I think my 'e' key had a virus.

Oddly, I think I've had the most fun playing Plague Inc. when I've been sick.

MizzouRah 06-06-2015 09:42 AM

haha oykib... :)

What about Card Dungeon? Another fun looking game I think I'm going to try out today. ;)

MizzouRah 06-06-2015 11:01 AM

For $9 I purchased Card Dungeon.. fun little game! Very addicting!

I love how it saves after each turn, so if you quit, when you come back you can just continue where you left off without the fuss.

Fidatelo 06-08-2015 09:24 AM

I pre-ordered the Steam Controller and Link over the weekend, which I'm really stoked about. However, in Canada they are ordered through EB Games and the stupid default shipping option is 10 days. I wasn't prepared to pay an extra $17 for 1-2 day delivery so I stuck with it. 10 days?! Pretty lame.

Schmidty 06-08-2015 09:37 AM

I finally nabbed FM15 yesterday for 16.99. I couldn't say no.

finkenst 06-08-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty (Post 3032060)
I finally nabbed FM15 yesterday for 16.99. I couldn't say no.

the same

JPhillips 06-08-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finkenst (Post 3032127)
the same

Me, too.

Izulde 06-08-2015 04:00 PM

I forgot to buy. Oof.

mckerney 06-08-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 3032160)
I forgot to buy. Oof.

Summer sale starts Thursday so the deal may be back up again soon.

cubboyroy1826 06-08-2015 05:47 PM

Me three

EagleFan 06-08-2015 05:55 PM

Have been thinking about saving up for a new laptop this year but am seriously tempted on going for an Alienware Steam Machine. My current laptop still works fine for online, finances and research so it may make sense to get a Steam Machine instead. Something to use just for gaming, and doing so on the TV could also eliminate any temptation to going to either an X-Box One or PS4.

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-08-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3032181)
Have been thinking about saving up for a new laptop this year but am seriously tempted on going for an Alienware Steam Machine. My current laptop still works fine for online, finances and research so it may make sense to get a Steam Machine instead. Something to use just for gaming, and doing so on the TV could also eliminate any temptation to going to either an X-Box One or PS4.

I'm renovating my basement and putting in a home theater area. Still going to have a PS4, but thinking about picking up the Alienware box just so I can play all Steam games down there too.

PilotMan 06-08-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 3032187)
I'm renovating my basement and putting in a home theater area. Still going to have a PS4, but thinking about picking up the Alienware box just so I can play all Steam games down there too.

I'd come visit the winery and endure all measure of Royals talk to check that out.

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-08-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3032190)
I'd come visit the winery and endure all measure of Royals talk to check that out.

Going to do reflective paint on the wall. Just under a 10' screen with a 1080p projector. I'm pretty giddy. :)

In return, my wife gets to do whatever she wants in the rest of the basement.

EagleFan 06-08-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 3032193)
In return, my wife gets to do whomever she wants in the rest of the basement.

That's a serious trade off.... :eek: :devil:

NobodyHere 06-08-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 3032193)
Going to do reflective paint on the wall. Just under a 10' screen with a 1080p projector. I'm pretty giddy. :)

In return, my wife gets to do whatever she wants in the rest of the basement.

I love my projector. Big screen and so much easier to move than a TV. Hope you got a good surround sound system to go with it.

Julio Riddols 06-09-2015 02:54 AM

I'm a big projector fan as well. The one I got was a Viewsonic. It produces a screen over 100 inches with outstanding clarity, and is said to be capable of up to 300 inches. The bulb has lasted well over 10,000 hours and the whole setup only cost about 500 dollars to put together. I would get a projector over a TV in almost any case given my experience with this one. Makes the prospect of a steam box a very enticing one, especially given my new found interest in computer gaming.

Fidatelo 06-09-2015 09:29 AM

For everyone thinking about getting a Steam Machine, I think it's worth noting that all of the upcoming Steam Machines run SteamOS, as far as I have heard. That basically means a huge amount of top games would not be playable without manually swapping out the OS on the box.

jeff061 06-09-2015 09:40 AM

Yeah, I haven't researched them enough to see what has changed, but I built my own gaming living room PC after it seemed like they were going to be SteamOS. Which meant to me I either stream from another gaming system(defeating the purpose) or I'm only playing games with a Linux flavor.

Very happy with the PC I put together though. Not much larger than a toaster, has a fraction of the noise level of my PS4/Xbox One and is significantly more powerful than both.

stevew 06-09-2015 09:41 AM

The Alpha steam machine I have is nice but it does get kind of hot. When I bought it they had a decent price point going on the entry level one so I just bought that and upgraded the Ram and got an SSD. Pretty sure the steamOS one coming out is largely the same as the one I already have. I kinda figure that if something like this takes off, the graphical capacity should be fine for awhile as companies would want to make games playable on it at a decent level. Upgrading is easy, just took a second.

stevew 06-09-2015 09:43 AM

Dola, graphics not upgradeable but you can upgrade the processor, ram, hdd

jeff061 06-09-2015 02:32 PM

Don't buy a Steam Machine | The Verge

Shoveler 06-09-2015 02:37 PM

If you already have a good PC, any reason not to consider going with the steam link?

Granted you are streaming off of your computer over the network..

Curious how well that will work, will definitely need to see some reviews in the future before even considering this option.

jeff061 06-09-2015 02:42 PM

Well you can test that now if you have a laptop or some crummy computer lying around. Before I built my PC I had a laptop streaming from gaming PC. Anything with a Steam client can act as a link.

Works better than you'd think, but you still can tell it's being streamed. Slight latency with the controls and the occasional compression artifacts. My biggest complaint was surround sound wasn't supported, I'd have to imagine they fix that at some point in time.

Fidatelo 06-10-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoveler (Post 3032359)
Curious how well that will work, will definitely need to see some reviews in the future before even considering this option.

I ordered the Link along with the controller to use with my Surface Pro 2, and I will definitely post my results here when it arrives in October. If anything my results will probably be on the bad side because my SP2 isn't exactly a gaming rig and it will be talking wirelessly to the Link (not over Ethernet).

Ragone 06-10-2015 09:32 AM

Rutro, Steam summer sale starts tomorrow.. Personally I'm watching for a deal on Fof.. Among other things..

jeff061 06-10-2015 10:19 AM

Pillars of Eternity tops my list for the summer sale. But I have 30 things on my Wishlist I'll jump on if the price is right.

Schmidty 06-10-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 3032500)
Pillars of Eternity tops my list for the summer sale. But I have 30 things on my Wishlist I'll jump on if the price is right.

It's the best game I've played in a long time. I paid full price (which I never do) and I haven't regretted it once.

Grover 06-10-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 3032500)

Ditto.

Solecismic 06-10-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragone (Post 3032494)
Rutro, Steam summer sale starts tomorrow.. Personally I'm watching for a deal on Fof.. Among other things..

I'm hopeful that I will be selected for a one-day featured product sale, which will get me millions of eyeballs that otherwise would never have seen the game. A bit scary, because I've never participated in any significant type of sale before.

But, yes, FOF will be 15% off during the entire sale period.

mckerney 06-10-2015 01:55 PM

Pillars of Eternity is a must buy, I'd also recommend looking for a sale on Ori and the Blind Forest. It's a gorgeous and challenging metroidvania and ranks second for my early GOTY behind Life is Strange.

JPhillips 06-10-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecismic (Post 3032531)
I'm hopeful that I will be selected for a one-day featured product sale, which will get me millions of eyeballs that otherwise would never have seen the game. A bit scary, because I've never participated in any significant type of sale before.

But, yes, FOF will be 15% off during the entire sale period.

Best of luck.

Vince, Pt. II 06-10-2015 03:09 PM

I bought my roommate Ori and she loved the hell out of it.

thesloppy 06-10-2015 03:16 PM

I find Pillars of Eternity bland and boring, and thought Divinity Original Sin was much more entertaining, but I appear to be in a small minority.

Abe Sargent 06-10-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3032549)
I find Pillars of Eternity bland and boring, and thought Divinity Original Sin was much more entertaining, but I appear to be in a small minority.

I am confuzzled. :confused:

Finding D: OS better is nothing. I get that. I've put more time into Tales of Maj'Eyal in the last two weeks (82 hours)that I did into Pillars's entire time (40). But that don't mean that I'm calling Pillars "bland and boring". It's far from it.

Ramzavail 06-10-2015 04:43 PM

I can't get into ToME. Maybe I need to try again.

thesloppy 06-10-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abe Sargent (Post 3032553)
I am confuzzled. :confused:

Finding D: OS better is nothing. I get that. I've put more time into Tales of Maj'Eyal in the last two weeks (82 hours)that I did into Pillars's entire time (40). But that don't mean that I'm calling Pillars "bland and boring". It's far from it.

Well, I don't mean to suggest that you or anybody else shouldn't be enjoying it, or that it doesn't deserve the praise it's getting, it's just not my flavor of RPG. I find the combat wonky and boring, as you can seemingly choose between over-involved hyper-pausing or apathetic auto-battling, with neither extreme giving me that much of a feeling of control or involvement. Likewise I find exploration way too static and slow: creep around all borders of square map, fill in blank spaces, repeat. Basically, it just moves too slow for me, but my attention span for RPGs appears to be shrinking (which is why I love the aforementioned ToME)

MizzouRah 06-10-2015 05:58 PM

Sorcerer King is almost finished and one hell of a 4x game!

Schmidty 06-10-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3032578)
Well, I don't mean to suggest that you or anybody else shouldn't be enjoying it, or that it doesn't deserve the praise it's getting, it's just not my flavor of RPG. I find the combat wonky and boring, as you can seemingly choose between over-involved hyper-pausing or apathetic auto-battling, with neither extreme giving me that much of a feeling of control or involvement. Likewise I find exploration way too static and slow: creep around all borders of square map, fill in blank spaces, repeat. Basically, it just moves too slow for me, but my attention span for RPGs appears to be shrinking (which is why I love the aforementioned ToME)

I guess I almost feel like it's a fantasy novel that I'm involved in the outcome. I read all of the stuff, even the magical item. There is a lot of love put into this game and I appreciate it. It's not just explosions and cut-scenes.

Best RPG since Divinity: OS.

Barkeep49 06-10-2015 07:00 PM

I had thought that this steam sale would likely pass by without me getting anything, but then, just minutes ago, I just found a 20 wallet code from 2012. Have NO memory of how I got it, but into the wallet it went an an opportune time.

Apathetic Lurker 06-11-2015 12:00 AM

I finally uploaded all the unused steam cards I had laying around...Entering the Steam summer sale with 120 bucks in my wallet.....

Good thing I saved them...Being on medical i'd just be a poor bystander crying on the sidelines.....

IlliniCub 06-11-2015 09:30 AM

When does the sale start?

Scoobz0202 06-11-2015 09:32 AM

Today supposedly. 1EST usually

Honolulu_Blue 06-11-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker (Post 3032656)
I finally uploaded all the unused steam cards I had laying around...Entering the Steam summer sale with 120 bucks in my wallet.....

Good thing I saved them...Being on medical i'd just be a poor bystander crying on the sidelines.....

Wait. You can use those Steam cards to get some sort of Steam monies or credit?

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-11-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3032726)
Wait. You can use those Steam cards to get some sort of Steam monies or credit?

He's talking about the Steam Wallet Cards. Like the ones you buy at Gamestop, etc.

Honolulu_Blue 06-11-2015 10:00 AM

I played Pillars of Eternity for about 8 hours one day. I enjoyed it, but haven't gone back to it. That was a few months ago now.

I have played about 90 hours worth of Divinity: Original Sin. I really like it. I am playing co-op with a buddy of mine. I'm not sure if I would like as much playing alone, but we have a blast. We don't get to play it that often. It's almost been a year now since we started.

Currently, I'm also playing Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Me and three friends play it co-op a couple of nights each week. It's a lot of fun. We have some crashing issues from time to time, but nothing too bad.

Honolulu_Blue 06-11-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 3032727)
He's talking about the Steam Wallet Cards. Like the ones you buy at Gamestop, etc.

Ah. Phew! I have a friend of mine who I give all of those Steam card things away to all of the time. There was about to be some 'splainin' to do!!!

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-11-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3032731)
Ah. Phew! I have a friend of mine who I give all of those Steam card things away to all of the time. There was about to be some 'splainin' to do!!!

But it should be noted that the next few days are the best time to sell the cards you collect on Steam if you're looking for a few extra dollars to spend. Prices are always best during the sales.

Honolulu_Blue 06-11-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 3032738)
But it should be noted that the next few days are the best time to sell the cards you collect on Steam if you're looking for a few extra dollars to spend. Prices are always best during the sales.

It's too late! I've already "traded" all of them to my buddy.