Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Great Recession - post mortem (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64320)

Buccaneer 09-17-2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 1835857)
amusing quote from one of the comment threads on mcardle's blog

We get a Naderite sighting!

They will always continue to do this, since it is political expedient to do so. With Obama's connection to Merrill and McCain connection to Lehman, they will always prop up the moneybaggers.

DaddyTorgo 09-17-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1835891)
We get a Naderite sighting!

They will always continue to do this, since it is political expedient to do so. With Obama's connection to Merrill and McCain connection to Lehman, they will always prop up the moneybaggers.

so cynical Bucc. I just found it funny more for the imagery and the frustration than the political commentary of it.

it's like "dude...i wanna see some damn explosions! not these piddly lil cherry bombs"

DaddyTorgo 09-17-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

At this rate we should have collectivized agriculture by Thursday.

just gonna have fun posting quotes all day

JPhillips 09-17-2008 09:30 AM

Has anyone heard what the government plans to do with the 80% share in AIG?

Also, If these companies are too big to fail, why the hell doesn't the government break them up? That seems a far better idea to me than showering them with billions borrowed from the Chinese. I'd love to have just one Congressman scream and yell that the Treasury doesn't have the authority to do this without Congressional approval.

ISiddiqui 09-17-2008 09:32 AM

I'm wondering if the government will just proceed over a slow breakup of AIG... so basically get money back for its 80% share.

DaddyTorgo 09-17-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1835963)
I'm wondering if the government will just proceed over a slow breakup of AIG... so basically get money back for its 80% share.

that's the thinking

JPhillips 09-17-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1835963)

Likely at pennies on the dollar.

JPhillips 09-17-2008 10:04 AM

Markets are plunging again today. Anyone think WaMu will last through the week?

Flasch186 09-17-2008 10:12 AM

The weekends seem to be black holes so maybe through the week but the weekends are days of dread.

path12 09-17-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1835997)
Markets are plunging again today. Anyone think WaMu will last through the week?

I've been thinking they won't last the week for the past four weeks, so I'm hesitant to give any opinion this time!

Tekneek 09-17-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1835960)
I'd love to have just one Congressman scream and yell that the Treasury doesn't have the authority to do this without Congressional approval.

Ron Paul may have, or is likely to be one of the few around today that has even got close to that type of statement.

path12 09-17-2008 10:45 AM

From one of my favorite financial blogs, I thought this was a nice summary of where we're at right now:

Calculated Risk: Comment on Crisis: Necessary Steps

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-17-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by path12 (Post 1836050)
From one of my favorite financial blogs, I thought this was a nice summary of where we're at right now:

Calculated Risk: Comment on Crisis: Necessary Steps

Some of the bigger city real estate markets on the coasts are the biggest portion of that property value decline. Midwest cities like Kansas City are seeing a surge in property value right now, mainly due to population movement out of the higher priced markets. The increase in demand from other markets is actually fueling prices in this area. There are homes available in this area for $120-150K that would sell for $300K+ in subarbs around places like Boston, NYC, Washington D.C., etc. People can sell those overvalued homes at a loss and still come out alright if they move into a cheaper market.

Flasch186 09-17-2008 11:06 AM

mkts are taking another big crap today and spreads widened which means that the fear ratio is 'up' after the bailout. People must be speculating that there are more bricks to fall. May be a buying opportunity within the next few wks but not right now...its a buzzsaw.

Marc Vaughan 09-17-2008 11:54 AM

I think the market will continue to seesaw for quite a while - I bet a while back the bottom would be around 10k ... so 600 pts to go ;)

Galaxy 09-17-2008 12:06 PM

Oil is up as well.

darkenigma510 09-17-2008 12:14 PM

ruh roh

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...dChannel=10112

Flasch186 09-17-2008 12:19 PM

huh, what does this mean?

darkenigma510 09-17-2008 12:21 PM

Means the Treasury is now expanding the Fed's balance sheet by printing treasuries....

highly inflationary and not a good sign as t basically says, the Fed is slowly going broke with all these bailouts....

darkenigma510 09-17-2008 12:24 PM

dola, this is likely why gold is up about $50 today....

JPhillips 09-17-2008 12:33 PM

Damnit, and I just stuck all my gold in an envelope and mailed it to some guy on TV.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-17-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1836170)
Damnit, and I just stuck all my gold in an envelope and mailed it to some guy on TV.

I'm putting your check in the mail as we speak. Nice doing business with you.

Tekneek 09-17-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkenigma510 (Post 1836161)
dola, this is likely why gold is up about $50 today....

$50? Our money is shit.

Will this renew the call for oil to be traded in Euros?

Flasch186 09-17-2008 02:42 PM

Dylan and Maria are crushing the spokesperson for S&P right now and if you can find the video somewhere from today it's a worthy watch from CNBC.

DaddyTorgo 09-17-2008 03:08 PM

2nd worst day of the year: -449

Anthony 09-17-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkenigma510 (Post 1836156)
Means the Treasury is now expanding the Fed's balance sheet by printing treasuries....

highly inflationary and not a good sign as t basically says, the Fed is slowly going broke with all these bailouts....

obviously all these wars aren't helping matters - i wonder if this is a great opportunity to pull troops and call it a day and label it "in the interest of preserving a sensitive American economy". it'd surely stop the bleeding. i think you'd have to be a fool to try to argue the American economy in its current state can handle footing the bill for the combined Middel East wars. i think it's time we start shifting our interests inward. i think this is a big reason why all the Iran rabble rousing rhetoric from the summer has calmed down to an inaudible whisper - going to war with Iran was already going to be a tough sell, but now? given our economy?

BishopMVP 09-17-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1835960)
Also, If these companies are too big to fail, why the hell doesn't the government break them up? That seems a far better idea to me than showering them with billions borrowed from the Chinese. I'd love to have just one Congressman scream and yell that the Treasury doesn't have the authority to do this without Congressional approval.

The McArdle blog at The Atlantic points out why placing a cap on how big these companies can get isn't a good idea - it's pretty much only highly successful ones that get that big (Fannie and Freddie Mac being the exception) and placing a cap on how big they can get will only lead to them moving countries once they start approaching the cap. Needless to say, it's not a good long-term strategy to chase your biggest, most successful companies overseas.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1835966)
Likely at pennies on the dollar.

The thinking behind the bailout/buyout is that now AIG doesn't have to sell at pennies on the dollar, and can at least break apart in a more orderly, non fire-sale fashion. It will still probably be for dimes on the dollar though.

Marc Vaughan 09-17-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1836378)
obviously all these wars aren't helping matters - i wonder if this is a great opportunity to pull troops and call it a day and label it "in the interest of preserving a sensitive American economy". it'd surely stop the bleeding. i think you'd have to be a fool to try to argue the American economy in its current state can handle footing the bill for the combined Middel East wars. i think it's time we start shifting our interests inward. i think this is a big reason why all the Iran rabble rousing rhetoric from the summer has calmed down to an inaudible whisper - going to war with Iran was already going to be a tough sell, but now? given our economy?

(sarcastic - but has some basis in fact)
I actually think this recession was a fantastic ploy by the American goverment, the middle east (esp. Saudi Arabia) now owns a large percentage of the American financial institutes which makes them doing anything negative against the country much less likely.

Tekneek 09-17-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 1836378)
obviously all these wars aren't helping matters - i wonder if this is a great opportunity to pull troops and call it a day and label it "in the interest of preserving a sensitive American economy".

It would certainly help to steady the government's financial condition, which is getting worse every single day. Just demonstrates pretty clearly how W has made many mistakes over time. He has ended up on the wrong side of many things, and the American people are going to be paying for it for a long time...perhaps in ways that we never expected to happen in America.

Edward64 09-17-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 1836520)
It would certainly help to steady the government's financial condition, which is getting worse every single day. Just demonstrates pretty clearly how W has made many mistakes over time. He has ended up on the wrong side of many things, and the American people are going to be paying for it for a long time...perhaps in ways that we never expected to happen in America.

I'm not sure if you are attirbuting blame to W for the current financial mess we are in? I disagree if you are.

Surtt 09-17-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 1836520)

I don't know how you can blame W individually for the Wall Street problems.
The whole industry got greedy and stupid, passing out mortgages like candy.

Buccaneer 09-17-2008 06:08 PM

To follow up with my comment in the other thread about good/bad economy depending where you look and what to look at, not 10 minutes later, I heard something on NPR about building construction (including housing and commercial). It made a point about the East and Midwest being down 14% (compared to last year?) and the South down 7%. Later, I followed up to find out about the West. We are actually UP.

Tekneek 09-17-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 1836532)
I'm not sure if you are attirbuting blame to W for the current financial mess we are in? I disagree if you are.

No, not at all. I blame him for invading Afghanistan and Iraq in half-assed ways, that have cost us billions and billions of dollars at a time when we can ill afford to be paying it. They tried to go light with industry and let them find their own way, only to have it cost all of us more money in the long run. I am not blaming him for the crisis on Wall Street, I am blaming him for his contributions to this financial 'perfect storm', if you will, that is likely going to devalue our currency in a major way.

Tekneek 09-17-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surtt (Post 1836540)
I don't know how you can blame W individually for the Wall Street problems.
The whole industry got greedy and stupid, passing out mortgages like candy.

I am sorry if it read that way, because I didn't think it did. I blame him for invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan that have no clear sign of ending, costing us billions and billions that we can ill afford to keep spending, while Osama bin Laden and the Taliban are regaining power and influence. Sure, we deposed Saddam and killed him, but he wasn't posing an immediate threat and that surely has not been worth the amount of money spent thus far in Iraq.

Surtt 09-17-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 1836562)
I am sorry if it read that way, because I didn't think it did. I blame him for invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan that have no clear sign of ending, costing us billions and billions that we can ill afford to keep spending, while Osama bin Laden and the Taliban are regaining power and influence. Sure, we deposed Saddam and killed him, but he wasn't posing an immediate threat and that surely has not been worth the amount of money spent thus far in Iraq.

Well, that you can certainly blame him for.

path12 09-17-2008 09:35 PM

$10 billion a month takes a toll after awhile. That said, I don't blame anyone specifically. I take much of this as a refutation of supply side economic theory though.....or at the very least an example of the excesses of that theory.

JPhillips 09-17-2008 09:37 PM

Oh shit. Anybody know what this would mean.

Quote:

Pressure is building on the pristine “AAA” rating of the United States after a federal bailout of American International Group Inc, the chairman of Standard & Poor’s sovereign ratings committee said on Wednesday.

The $85 billion bailout of AIG on Tuesday by the U.S. Federal Reserve “has weakened the fiscal profile of the United States,” S&P’s John Chambers told Reuters in an interview.

“Lack of a pro-active stance could have resulted in further financial stress and put pressure on the U.S. triple-A rating,” Chambers said. “There’s no God-given gift of a ‘AAA’ rating, and the U.S. has to earn it like everyone else.”

path12 09-17-2008 09:39 PM

I think it means that there's only so much money you can put out there before you substantially weaken the faith in the currency.

CamEdwards 09-17-2008 09:40 PM

That almost sounds like two different things. Saying a LACK of a pro-active stance could "put pressure on the U.S. triple-A rating"... but the U.S. was pro-active. That's a little confusing.

Flasch186 09-17-2008 09:44 PM

and the guy said the opposite on CNBC today, that the US wasnt on a negative watch.

CamEdwards 09-17-2008 09:48 PM

A little bit more information from that Reuters story:
Quote:

On Wednesday, Chambers compared the U.S. rating to a lobster cooking in a pot of cold water.

"The lobster is still in the 'AAA' pot and still moving," Chambers said. "The heat is turning up, but the water is still 'AAA' stable."

Chambers also called the AIG bailout "a signal event without precedent," adding: "This will be case studied for decades to come."

Moody's Investors Service and Fitch Ratings also have top ratings and "stable" outlooks for the United States.

"The federal government's debt ratios still look comfortable, and the amounts involved in the case of AIG are small, despite their large absolute amount, in comparison to federal government's already outstanding debt of more than $5 trillion," Moody's analyst Steven Hess said in an e-mail.

path12 09-17-2008 09:54 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Calculated Risk: Report: Morgan Stanley CEO: 'Need a Partner or Not Going to Make it'

Money quote:

Quote:

“We need a merger partner or we’re not going to make it,” Mr. Mack told Mr. Pandit, according to two people briefed on the talks. Mr. Pandit, a former senior investment banker at Morgan Stanley, said Citigroup was not interested.

There goes Morgan Stanley. This is getting really freaky.

JPhillips 09-17-2008 09:55 PM

Thank goodness all my investments are tied up in secure mattress technology.

path12 09-17-2008 10:01 PM

BTW, Nikkei down another 3% and Hang Seng down 4% early.

CamEdwards 09-17-2008 10:02 PM

You know, it's stories like that where you wish there were attributable sources. Two people BRIEFED on the talks? The Times is quoting anonymously quoting two people who weren't even there? Given the nervousness in the market, I think that's very poor journalism on the part of the Times.

path12 09-17-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamEdwards (Post 1836755)
You know, it's stories like that where you wish there were attributable sources. Two people BRIEFED on the talks? The Times is quoting anonymously quoting two people who weren't even there? Given the nervousness in the market, I think that's very poor journalism on the part of the Times.

Agreed. It sure appears someone has it out for either Mack or MS in general. Reading through the comments there was a lot of speculation it came from the Citibank head himself -- apparently he was after the CEO job Mack got.

Edward64 09-17-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by path12 (Post 1836760)
Agreed. It sure appears someone has it out for either Mack or MS in general. Reading through the comments there was a lot of speculation it came from the Citibank head himself -- apparently he was after the CEO job Mack got.

Unfortunately, deep down, we know there is truth in this ... don't we?

CamEdwards 09-17-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 1836766)
Unfortunately, deep down, we know there is truth in this ... don't we?

I'm agnostic when it comes to believing in the Times. :)

st.cronin 09-17-2008 10:20 PM

So, what's the fallout from all this? Who do these firms owe money to, other than each other? Isn't that what's happening? Lehman Brothers shuts down, stops paying their bills, so AIG and Morgan Stanley have to shut down, and then the next domino falls... but what industry/ies outside of finance is hurt by this?

path12 09-17-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1836770)
So, what's the fallout from all this? Who do these firms owe money to, other than each other? Isn't that what's happening? Lehman Brothers shuts down, stops paying their bills, so AIG and Morgan Stanley have to shut down, and then the next domino falls... but what industry/ies outside of finance is hurt by this?

The main problem as I understand it is that all of this will drastically reduce credit for banks, businesses and individuals. Given that our economy has been pretty reliant on spending over our means, this is a big problem because if credit isn't available, consumer spending stops, jobs vanish -- which leads back to more people having to foreclose on their houses, etc, etc.

The other problem is the very real risk of the government being forced to drastically increase the money supply in order to service this debt. That leads to the weakening of the dollar and inflation. Though there are those who argue that a Japan style 15-year recession/depression with deflation is the net result.

I don't know how valid any of these results are because I just don't understand the ins and outs of this enough, though I'm learning some. But I'm not real confident that experts know exactly how this will all shake out either.