Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to Watch Instantly on Netflix? (and now all streaming services) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=80004)

Honolulu_Blue 10-12-2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critch (Post 3380277)
Quite a bit behind the times with this since it's been on Netflix for about a year but started the South Korean series Hellbound and it's surprisingly good. People get a vision that they're going to go to hell, and the time when it'll happen. When the time comes three demon type chaps turn up and beat them to death and then zap their body off to hell.

I was put off by it looking like a silly horror thing about devils, but it's really more about how people would react if it did happen. Panic, exploitation, etc.

Season one is only six episodes, but Season two is on the way.

Isn’t this by the Train to Busan guy? It’s on my list and I definitely want to watch it. Korean horror shows and films have rarely let me down.

Honolulu_Blue 10-12-2022 06:50 PM

Andor is almost too good to be a Star Wars show, especially based on the last 30 or so years of the franchise.

This latest episode was fantastic and looked beautiful.

RainMaker 10-13-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critch (Post 3380277)
Quite a bit behind the times with this since it's been on Netflix for about a year but started the South Korean series Hellbound and it's surprisingly good. People get a vision that they're going to go to hell, and the time when it'll happen. When the time comes three demon type chaps turn up and beat them to death and then zap their body off to hell.

I was put off by it looking like a silly horror thing about devils, but it's really more about how people would react if it did happen. Panic, exploitation, etc.

Season one is only six episodes, but Season two is on the way.

The Korean shows are mostly the only reason for keeping Netflix these days. Lots of good stuff if you can deal with subtitles.

Critch 10-13-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3380298)
Isn’t this by the Train to Busan guy? It’s on my list and I definitely want to watch it. Korean horror shows and films have rarely let me down.

Apparently it is. Had to check IMDB, havent watched Train to Busan.

And yeah, have to go subtitles. Netflix dubbing it totally whack as I believe the young people say.

Edward64 10-13-2022 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critch (Post 3380522)
Apparently it is. Had to check IMDB, havent watched Train to Busan.

If you like zombies and that type of genre, you'll love it. I wouldn't put it on par with my top US zombie movies but easily exceeds the Romero B movies.

PilotMan 10-13-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3380525)
If you like zombies and that type of genre, you'll love it. I wouldn't put it on par with my top US zombie movies but easily exceeds the Romero B movies.

Tell us more zombie movies you love and why? Just tell us everything.

Edward64 10-13-2022 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3380530)
Tell us more zombie movies you love and why? Just tell us everything.

Zombies can't control that they aren't classy. They can't control themselves when triggered. And of course, they can't control themselves when trolling.

PilotMan 10-13-2022 11:28 PM

Is that why you love zombie movies?

Edward64 10-13-2022 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3380546)
Is that why you love zombie movies?

As reddit would say, low effort (class) post. Keep it up though, don't mind padding my post count by responding to triggered trolling.

Edward64 10-14-2022 10:46 AM

I've resumed watching The Americans (s5).

There was a snippet of Martha in Russia now. It was brutal what Philip did to her but assume there is more to her story.

I like how Agent Beeman stood up for his Russian counterpart. I definitely did not see that twist coming.

Don't know if Agent Beeman's girlfriend is a spy but even before Philip & Elizabeth theorized it, I was thinking it. I think yes.

I ff through the Paige stuff. Too much teenage angst for me to enjoy. But do think she is a great actress.

Edward64 10-14-2022 02:54 PM

Finished the season finale of Rings.

Some characters background revealed. Somewhat boring.

Overall, WoT > RoP

Edward64 10-17-2022 10:08 PM

Finished The Americans.

The series finale was fantastic. I would have liked a happier ending and I thought the priest thing was a little rushed, but the tension was so well paced. Especially the garage scene. And loved how it played out on the train.

FX needs to come back and do a 2 part special.

Kodos 10-20-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3380525)

I concur. It was good zombie fun.

Kodos 10-20-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3380299)
Andor is almost too good to be a Star Wars show, especially based on the last 30 or so years of the franchise.

Andor is a great show. It's way smarter than Boba Fett and Obi Wan. It takes the time to build characters, even on the Empire's side. It's well worth checking out. For anyone on the fence about giving it a try, definitely give it at least the first 3 episodes before deciding that it isn't for you.

Ksyrup 10-24-2022 05:02 PM

I guess Stage 1 of Operation: Home Profile is underway. I got an email from Netflix inviting me to transfer the profile of anyone using my account to a new account they set up. I assume at the beginning of 2023, I'll get an email threatening to shut down my account if people who don't reside with me are using my account.

Galaril 10-25-2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3381577)
I guess Stage 1 of Operation: Home Profile is underway. I got an email from Netflix inviting me to transfer the profile of anyone using my account to a new account they set up. I assume at the beginning of 2023, I'll get an email threatening to shut down my account if people who don't reside with me are using my account.

They are going to start charging your account in 2023 $5 a month per extra user outside the house. So in my case I have kids at college that have been using it that will need to get their own accounts.

Ksyrup 10-25-2022 07:13 AM

I have no problem with legitimate abuse. For instance, my parents use our 5th slot and have for years. They should have their own account or I'll pay extra for them to use. But kids in college still live with their parents. Why would Netflix (of all things!) be different than things like cell phones, health insurance, car insurance, etc.?

I can't wait for Amazon to go this route next...

Lathum 10-25-2022 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3381625)
I have no problem with legitimate abuse. For instance, my parents use our 5th slot and have for years. They should have their own account or I'll pay extra for them to use. But kids in college still live with their parents. Why would Netflix (of all things!) be different than things like cell phones, health insurance, car insurance, etc.?

I can't wait for Amazon to go this route next...

The problem is like everything else, the minority of people who abuse it screw it up for the rest of us.

We live 20 minutes from Six Flags. Get passes every year. Pay about $120 extra for the meal plan and always get our moneys worth. My kids split a chicken finger basket, I usually get a slice, and they can each get an ice cream or something. Also comes with a refillable drink bottle. That alone would cost over $60 so it is well worth it.

Well of course morons started abusing it, using it every day just to feed themselves or their family, then posted about it on tic tok so Six Flags shut it down. I was really pissed about that one because over the course of the year I am probably out 5-600 extra in food.

Ksyrup 10-25-2022 12:06 PM

Did anyone here ever do the Olive Garden anytime pass thing they used to do? Of course not, you value your health.

Anyway, a good friend of mine not only did it, he ate nearly every meal there for the 2 or 3 months the pass was good for. I remember him easily surpassing 100 meals. He would post/brag about it on FB. I suppose people like him are the reason they haven't brought that back.

sterlingice 10-25-2022 12:28 PM

I also value my taste buds!

/zing/

SI

PilotMan 10-25-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3378975)
The Reboot on Hulu is funny, the cast is deep, and it works.

Still digging this. It should get way more attention than it's getting. Incredible cast, so funny.

bob 10-26-2022 06:13 AM

If any of you watched The Patient on Hulu, I'm curious what you thought of the finale.

Edward64 10-26-2022 09:53 AM

FWIW, been watching this YT channel to help me better understand Rings of Power

Nerd of the Rings - YouTube

Edward64 10-26-2022 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3381213)
I concur. It was good zombie fun.

For a fellow zombie aficionado, check out Netflix's Rampant. Similar to The Kingdom in time and type of zombie (don't like the sunlight) but not a direct prequel/sequel.

I didn't like it as much as The Kingdom but some good zombie action.

Ksyrup 10-26-2022 12:01 PM

I don't watch new scripted shows/movies at all, but I'll probably make an exception for this show coming to Peacock in January. I don't know anything about Rian Johnson or Natasha Lyonne other than they are both huge Columbo fans, and this show is supposed to basically be the Columbo reboot that would have been too difficult to do under the Columbo name.

That may be way too promising an intro, but I'll definitely be giving it a shot seeing as though Columbo is my favorite show of all time.

Edward64 10-26-2022 12:22 PM

Nice. Wasn't a big Colombo (or the one with Husband & Wife?) fan but know about him.

Also, have to add "House of the Rising Sun" to my list.

Ksyrup 10-26-2022 12:30 PM

MacMillan and Wife, probably.

Or Hart to Hart!

Edward64 10-26-2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3381751)
MacMillan and Wife, probably.

Or Hart to Hart!

I was thinking Hart to Hart.

I'm pretty sure I would grimace now watching those old shows. But they were great for their time.

Ksyrup 10-26-2022 12:47 PM

Certainly, the 70s style and some less-than-appropriate characters/commentary come glaringly through, but Columbo will always work for me, no matter the setting. Frankly, the 70s episodes aged way better than the reboot from the late 80s and 90s.

The show had a rebirth of sorts during the pandemic - all of sudden I started seeing articles popping up about people binging the show and discovering/rediscovering how great it is and how different it is from most detective shows (it's not a whodunnit but howcatchem).

Atocep 10-26-2022 01:01 PM

The Netflix reboot of The Mole game show is pretty solid. The wife is a big fan of the original and really like this new season.

Edward64 10-26-2022 09:34 PM

A little more news (and one pic) on Amazon's Fallout series.

Amazon's Fallout TV series reveals its first official image | PC Gamer
Quote:

Production of Amazon's Fallout series was disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic, and it currently does not have a release date. For now, we're optimistic for sometime around the middle of 2023, and we'll keep you posted.

Edward64 10-27-2022 12:16 PM

Saw Mr. Nobody yesterday. I liked it but was confusing. I read reviews after and things made more sense. I will have to rewatch it sometime.

Sad movie though. Thought provoking.

Edward64 10-28-2022 02:45 PM

Just saw a trailer for Netflix All quiet on the western front.

It looks good and … brutal

Edward64 10-29-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3382046)
Just saw a trailer for Netflix All quiet on the western front.

It looks good and … brutal

Great movie. Yup, brutal

Edward64 10-30-2022 09:04 PM

Watch "Clean" on Netflix.

Not great but solid entertaining action movie. Adrien Brody's nose was a little distracting.

albionmoonlight 10-30-2022 09:12 PM

I realize that this crowd isn't likely to be that into rom-coms, but Mrs. A was in the mood for one on Friday, so we watched Set It Up on Netflix. Fun little movie. Very much in the classic 80s/90s style. Nothing groundbreaking, but well acted and well written. And I always prefer the heroines to be more really cute than hot, and the woman in this one fits the bill.

If you are looking for a date-night type of thing, you could do a lot worse.

Bobble 10-31-2022 12:11 PM

Any comments on The Peripheral?

ntndeacon 10-31-2022 12:50 PM

Descendants on Netflix was a great doc about the finding of the last slave ship The Clotilda and how the Descendants of the slaves from that ship reacted.

Honolulu_Blue 11-02-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3380299)

I know I sound like a broken record, but Andor remains amazing. It's shocking how good a show this is. It could be the best Star Wars material since Empire.

This is coming from someone who has said Star Wars is his favorite movie since I was seven years old and has spent more money than I am willing to admit on Mandalorian collectibles and a replica helmet!

The opening scene in this latest episode was so fucking good.

Ksyrup 11-02-2022 06:50 PM

Not sure where to put this, but it has to go somewhere, he says as his wife has already filled the first 3 pages of our DVR list with these movies...

molson 11-03-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3382534)
Not sure where to put this, but it has to go somewhere, he says as his wife has already filled the first 3 pages of our DVR list with these movies...

I watched one of these last year where the guy was a nutcracker come to life. Transported from the past or something.

So he didn't know the ways of the modern world, but the understood the spirt of Christmas. And love. And he banged Melissa John Hart, so that's something.

(I watched it before a How Did This Get Made streamed event).

Lathum 11-03-2022 08:07 PM

Started watching Ghosts with out 12 year old. This show is great, really funny and a great mix of comedy with some nice poignant moments. The husband Jay has been in a lot of shows and is really funny. We are all really enjoying it.

flere-imsaho 11-07-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flere-imsaho (Post 3378516)
IIRC, Amazon paid either 125M or 250M just for the rights, which, OK, they're swimming in money.

But I have to feel they could have used a fraction of that money to commission spec scripts from a variety of fantasy and/or scifi writers that could have been more easily turned into compelling TV than attempting to create compelling out of pre-existing IP with the significant restrictions on usage that we know about.

The consensus I see on the Intarwebs seems to amount to: "fun series, especially if you can ignore anything you know about Tolkien's universe" which I feel only reinforces my point above.

Give everyone shortlisted for a Hugo or Nebula (for the written awards, even short stories) in the past 5 years $1M to write some sort of spec script and develop one of those.

Edward64 11-07-2022 02:34 PM

Give Rothfuss $5-$10M to finish his 3rd book. Give him a % of the series profits.

He seems very focused on Worldbuilders which is admirable. But that type of money will (hopefully) encourage him to finish the darn thing.

RainMaker 11-07-2022 02:57 PM

Like the Wheel of Time, the Lord of the Rings show sucked. Just make more seasons of Reacher or Patriot for like 2% the cost.

Edward64 11-07-2022 08:46 PM

Caught Netflix's Realive Realive (2016) - IMDb

Thought it was pretty well done. Some holes in the story line but the idea of someone emerging from the deep sleep, his challenges, and some hints of the future is pretty neat.

Honolulu_Blue 11-08-2022 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3383103)
Like the Wheel of Time, the Lord of the Rings show sucked. Just make more seasons of Reacher or Patriot for like 2% the cost.

I don’t know… I really enjoyed both.

GrantDawg 11-08-2022 09:47 AM

I enjoy them as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edward64 11-08-2022 09:56 AM

So did I. But I do think WoT >> RoP.

21C 11-18-2022 12:10 AM

I just finished the final season of the Italian series Gomorrah (Gomorra) and what a wild ride it was. I think that it is available in the US either on Netflix or HBO Max but it is the story of the mafia primarily set in Naples. It was beautifully shot and the story had a lot of twists. It was akin to a Game of Thrones drama set in modern times and the lead, Salvatore Esposito, featured in the latest season of Fargo.

Five seasons and highly recommended.