Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95435)

BishopMVP 03-06-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3232727)
I haven't been keeping up with the Bulls. Why is Robin Lopez still there?

He made some comment about looking forward to being bought out (or maybe it was playing for the Warriors) before the trade deadline, the Bulls blamed him for "tanking his trade value", and they've just kept him around out of spite since then.

Shkspr 03-06-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3232685)

Oh, good. A Boston area sports team won a game.

yay.

miami_fan 03-11-2019 08:58 PM

Serge showing some moxie tonight.

nilodor 03-12-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3233090)
Serge showing some moxie tonight.

I don't know what he says or does but man he gets punched alot.

JonInMiddleGA 03-12-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilodor (Post 3233103)
I don't know what he says or does but man he gets punched alot.

Pretends to be a fan at a Westbrook game?

Groundhog 03-15-2019 01:27 AM

This is not easy for me to say, but I.... enjoy... watching the Sacramento Kings play basketball.

stevew 03-15-2019 03:56 AM

I've seen this nuggets team several times over the past several weeks. I really like them but I don't think they have the superstar luster to make the finals. Jokic a joy to watch.

stevew 03-24-2019 01:30 PM

Jimmer is back

Groundhog 03-24-2019 05:21 PM

Trae Young has really turned it around. I still pick Luka if I've got the #1, but overall the top of this rookie class looks pretty darn good.

jbergey22 03-24-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3234237)
Trae Young has really turned it around. I still pick Luka if I've got the #1, but overall the top of this rookie class looks pretty darn good.

I think hes in the mold of one of them point guards that can look great on a bad team with limited options but on a playoff team with better options might come out not looking so great. <---- Young

Lathum 03-26-2019 07:47 AM

That Nurlic injury. Ugh

JonInMiddleGA 03-27-2019 12:40 AM

Top trending on Twitter tonight is #Lance

Thing is, he DID step on Green's foot.

stevew 03-27-2019 01:48 AM

Always nice that lottery teams can find something to play for.

Groundhog 03-27-2019 02:57 AM

Speaking of rookies, is Ayton the best example of the league's transition into an unabashed instagram highlight factory rather than a basketball league? Having a quietly solid rookie season but you'd be forgiven for forgetting he exists. Meanwhile, there's Lance stepping on a dude's foot, and Booker almost scoring 60 in a blowout loss.

JonInMiddleGA 03-27-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3234450)
Speaking of rookies, is Ayton the best example of the league's transition into an unabashed instagram highlight factory rather than a basketball league?

Dunno if that's entirely the league's fault (though I'm sure they've encouraged it plenty of times).

I mean I wondered what in the world #Lance was, so I clicked the term in Trending. (I was thinking something Armstrong related, and figured it being Storm was a long shot). Most everything I saw was pretty organic.

Groundhog 03-27-2019 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3234457)
Dunno if that's entirely the league's fault (though I'm sure they've encouraged it plenty of times).

I mean I wondered what in the world #Lance was, so I clicked the term in Trending. (I was thinking something Armstrong related, and figured it being Storm was a long shot). Most everything I saw was pretty organic.

Well, I think the league has encouraged a style of play that caters perfectly to the insta generation. And it's worked, I have non-basketball people tagging me on basketball clips every day. I just find myself enjoying the NBA less and less in terms of the actual game experience, versus the highlights.

BishopMVP 03-27-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3234450)
Speaking of rookies, is Ayton the best example of the league's transition into an unabashed instagram highlight factory rather than a basketball league? Having a quietly solid rookie season but you'd be forgiven for forgetting he exists. Meanwhile, there's Lance stepping on a dude's foot, and Booker almost scoring 60 in a blowout loss.

I'm not sure why Booker's game was being celebrated instead of being looked at bemusedly, but yeah I think it was more noteworthy than the guy who put up 9&7 in the same 33 point loss. (And I could also make a joke about how his own team sometimes forget he exists :D )

I think bigs have always been less celebrated than others unless they have some ridiculous athletic feature (Shaq, Zion, Tacko Fall). Re Ayton's season I do think his offensive impact could be getting a little more talk but the questions were always on the defensive side of the ball (particularly if he's paired as a star with Booker), and whether you can really build a winning team in today's NBA centered around a center like him. (I'd say "offensive center", but Jokic with his elite vision and passing fits that mold.)

Some of the smarter NBA analysts were saying his defense was at least improved from that atrocious first month where he looked completely lost, but he clearly still has a loooong way to go on that end. And while Phoenix's problems run much deeper their 17-58 record and league worst point differential doesn't give any indication his on court value remotely approaches his traditional counting stats/PER. Ayton is much more athletic, but Jah Okafor put up 18/7 on a terrible team his rookie year too...

JonInMiddleGA 03-27-2019 08:29 PM

Just scrolling my Twitter feed & this popped out at me as being kinda timely lol.
(was an RT from a kid my son graduated with or I'd never have seen it)

Bleacher Report NBA on Twitter: ""NOBODY HAD THEy PHOnES OUT"

J Cole was heated no one was recording his 45 PTS and game-winner 😂

(via @KingOfQueenz)… https://t.co/OxAwaLlWIe"

BishopMVP 03-30-2019 01:05 AM

The media will talk about the late calls in Warriors loss to the Timberwolves, but can we talk about the Andrew Wiggins shot at the end of regulation? Tie game, shot clock off, and he dribbles into a contested 20 footer with 8 seconds on the clock. The lack of situational awareness is mind boggling.

Brian Swartz 03-30-2019 04:20 AM

I find the West playoff race to be pretty fascinating. Eight games separating the 8 seeds. No year in the last decade at least in either conference has had lower than a 12-game gap and it's usually about 15. There could be some crazy-competitive first-round series, and I have to think a real chance at whoever comes out of there being beat up. If so, Milwaukee's real young but …

Groundhog 04-02-2019 10:36 PM

20-20-21 game for Westbrook today. Pretty ridiculous.

BishopMVP 04-07-2019 07:14 PM

Gordon Hayward... is good again? Playing well & very aggressively in the 8 games since his concussion scare. Hitting shots will always help anyone's confidence and the shooting percentage will regress, but he's been driving hard and creating contact near the rim instead of avoiding it.

bhlloy 04-07-2019 09:45 PM

Congrats to the Magic on their division title and being a game above .500 I guess?

Lathum 04-07-2019 10:11 PM

If the jazz win tonight I go 4-1 for my season win total bets. Pretty pleased with that.

Groundhog 04-08-2019 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 3235315)
Congrats to the Magic on their division title and being a game above .500 I guess?

The long post-Dwight Howard era rebuild finally over!!!!!! Yay!

albionmoonlight 04-08-2019 08:08 AM

Paul Pierce is saying he had a better career than D Wade, and people are jumping on that like its crazy.

I don't think it's crazy, but I can see why people are acting that way.

PP had the least . . . memorable great career of his generation. He was very very good for a long time. But he didn't have that one season where he peaked and made people think of Jordan. He didn't have a "we'll never see that again" style like Iverson. He didn't have a stretch where he tore down the rim like Vince Carter. He wasn't a physical freak like Shaq. He didn't have an outsized off-the-court personality like Rodman. And, unlike Wade, he wasn't teammates with the media magnets Shaq and LeBron.

He looked like a basketball player should look. He played like a basketball player should play. He didn't date Kardashians in the offseason. He just did his job at an extremely high level for a very long time. And guys like that end up underrated.

Lathum 04-08-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3235318)
If the jazz win tonight I go 4-1 for my season win total bets. Pretty pleased with that.

They had one job to do

spleen1015 04-08-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3235345)
Paul Pierce is saying he had a better career than D Wade, and people are jumping on that like its crazy.

PP had the least . . . memorable great career of his generation. He was very very good for a long time. But he didn't have that one season where he peaked and made people think of Jordan. He didn't have a "we'll never see that again" style like Iverson. He didn't have a stretch where he tore down the rim like Vince Carter. He wasn't a physical freak like Shaq. He didn't have an outsized off-the-court personality like Rodman. And, unlike Wade, he wasn't teammates with the media magnets Shaq and LeBron.

He looked like a basketball player should look. He played like a basketball player should play. He didn't date Kardashians in the offseason. He just did his job at an extremely high level for a very long time. And guys like that end up underrated.

This is one thing I don't understand. They both had good careers. Why do we have to say one was better than the other?

You are right about Pierce though. I just looked at his stats. I never would have guessed he would be 18th on the all time points list. I would have guessed he was outside the top 50.

JPhillips 04-08-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3235345)

His most memorable moment was his getting stabbed 17 times.

BishopMVP 04-09-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3235358)
His most memorable moment was his getting stabbed 17 times.

Idk, the wheelchair is also up there. :cool:

Looking objectively yeah Wade was a little better, but they're in the same category, and I'm not sure why anyone is surprised ex-athletes are still cocky. Ask Larry Bird if he was better than Michael Jordan, and he'll probably be diplomatic, but I'm guessing he thinks he was before the back injury. I also thought his main point there (give him Shaq and LeBron in their prime and he'd have more championships/recognition) was 100% accurate. Even if Garnett stayed healthy & the Celtics won a 2nd that'd up his legacy.

I'm also pretty out on the Dwyane Wade retirement tour. I hate retirement tours in general, but Wade was a dirty player, had the STD lawsuit, was a dick to Dirk when he was hurt, was a horrible teammate to younger players, etc, so idk why we're supposed to all pretend he was a beloved superstar (like for example Dirk is.)

stevew 04-09-2019 12:46 PM

I saw wade and his second wife and his 3rd or 4th kid (a baby) trying to present themselves as "young and in love" the other day. Like we all don't know wade dogged his college sweetheart for another more famous woman...

miami_fan 04-09-2019 08:17 PM

Magic is stepping down.

Magic stepping down as Lakers' president

JonInMiddleGA 04-09-2019 09:09 PM

That went well, don't you think?

Brian Swartz 04-09-2019 09:31 PM

I think the dumbest part about it is the stated reasons. You don't want the job anymore because tampering rules are too restrictive on your personality or whatever and you don't what the responsibility of firing people? What did he think the job of being the president of an NBA team involved?

Either way it'll be interesting to see who takes over next. Kobe?

JonInMiddleGA 04-09-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3235502)
What did he think the job of being the president of an NBA team involved?

1) Sign LeBron
2) :confused:

whomario 04-10-2019 04:09 AM

Chief Rum 04-10-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3235515)

I'm gonna miss him playing.

Kodos 04-10-2019 07:41 AM

Kodos 04-10-2019 07:46 AM

The true story behind Michael Jordan's brief-but-promising baseball career

Interesting story on Jordan's flirtation with baseball.

albionmoonlight 04-10-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3235503)
1) Sign LeBron
2) :confused:

:lol:

Atocep 04-10-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3235521)
The true story behind Michael Jordan's brief-but-promising baseball career

Interesting story on Jordan's flirtation with baseball.

It's interesting to see an article that paints his baseball career as success, or at least a non-failure. However, if he ever made it to the majors it was going to be because his name was Michael Jordan.

I do think his ability to step in to AA and not be completely awful was a hell of an accomplishment given the circumstances.

Kodos 04-10-2019 09:46 AM

Sounds like he had an incredible work ethic and desire to get better. I always rooted against the Bulls, but I having nothing but respect for his competitive fire.

molson 04-10-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3235502)
What did he think the job of being the president of an NBA team involved?

This is a guy who quit his NBA head coaching gig after 16 games.

Maybe everything in life to Magic is a mysterious adventure filled with unexpected surprises.

ISiddiqui 04-10-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3235527)
It's interesting to see an article that paints his baseball career as success, or at least a non-failure. However, if he ever made it to the majors it was going to be because his name was Michael Jordan.

I do think his ability to step in to AA and not be completely awful was a hell of an accomplishment given the circumstances.

On the other hand, people act like Tim Tebow in baseball is joke even though he has been much better than Jordan in the minors (Tebow batted .273/.336/.399 in AA last year).

stevew 04-10-2019 01:51 PM

Magic might just not be interested in actual work. He's def earned a life of leisure.

JeeberD 04-10-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3235542)
On the other hand, people act like Tim Tebow in baseball is joke even though he has been much better than Jordan in the minors (Tebow batted .273/.336/.399 in AA last year).

He also had 557 plate appearances in AFL and A leagues before going to AA. What numbers would Jordan have put up if he had come back for a second season?

ISiddiqui 04-10-2019 04:10 PM

He may have even hit Tebow numbers! Why didn't Jordan start in A leagues? Because his name was Michael Jordan and it was always just a lark.

JPhillips 04-10-2019 05:08 PM

I don't think MJ is a good comp if you're looking for serious baseball prospects.

stevew 04-11-2019 08:37 AM

I wonder if lebron is going to force a trade after the Lakers come up empty this summer.

spleen1015 04-11-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3235600)
I wonder if lebron is going to force a trade after the Lakers come up empty this summer.

Who would want him at this point?