Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to Watch Instantly on Netflix? (and now all streaming services) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=80004)

CrimsonFox 06-24-2023 01:14 PM

I found a series of The Full Monty (THe movie from 1998) on hulu. The entire cast returned for their roles. It's not a reboot it's a sequel series of them all these years later.

All 6 of the guys are in it plus Dave's wife too!

It's so amazing.

Edward64 06-25-2023 09:48 PM

Wife and I just finished Witcher s2.3 (in anticipation of s3 on Jun 29).

I do find myself reading reviews after each episode to get a better understanding or catch things I may have missed. And there's been lots.

Something I didn't quite appreciate the first time around was how great the monsters look!

molson 06-28-2023 10:57 AM

Cunk on Earth on Netflix makes me laugh out loud more than anything I can remember.

Sometimes something just clicks with you.

JPhillips 06-28-2023 11:04 AM

Roman invented or improved

molson 06-28-2023 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3405584)
Roman invented or improved

"Anal Bleaching"

"I don't know"

"You have to pick one"

"Pass"

"You can't pass"

Edward64 06-29-2023 10:58 PM

Binged watched The Witcher s3. Currently only 5 episodes released.

IMO s2 was better and (other than for the stupid timeline back-and-forth with no help with dates) s1 was also better.

But overall - very enjoyable, well made, good story lines, fantastic fight scenes, and fantastic monsters! I like how they are developing Ciri. The Elven arc is still a little slow going but okay. Going to miss Cavill, I think he's perfectly cast.

(... and thank God they didn't go with the writers, show runners, director & special effects from the disasterous prequel with Michelle Yeoh)

Edward64 07-01-2023 07:00 AM

Silo s1 ended with a strong episode. It finished before the actual book did (which revealed more). I decided to refresh my memory on wiki (and also on books 2 & 3).

Really a strong first season. There were a couple middling episodes that I thought dragged on but nothing too disappointing.

Strange New Worlds s2.3 was a time travel episode. I typically hate those but this one was okay. It lacked plausibility on how things came together but it did some further character development (2 of them) which I enjoyed. They need to get back to s2.1 formula now.

Lathum 07-02-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Econ (Post 3405220)
Shrinking on Apple TV is so much better than it has any right to be. I legit didn't know Harrison Ford was actually a very good actor.

About halfway thought and I am really enjoying it. The right blend of comedy and serious subjects.

Edward64 07-03-2023 09:46 AM

Watched the first 2 episodes of Idris Elba's "Hijack" on Apple. Enjoying it and like the premise of a ME "kingdom" plane being hijacked on the way to London.

Idris is a business negotiator and he's playing careful & methodical 3D chess with the hijackers. Fun to see it play out (even though I don't buy it).

The one thing I really appreciate is the authentic passenger cabins/seating. I hate how we see extra "wide/space" aisles & rows in movies. The one thing I hate is all the hijackers have their finger literally on the trigger, all the time. Highly unrealistic IMO

Edward64 07-03-2023 10:19 PM

Considering how many series are not renewed and abruptly ends, I think all these frakkers should have some halfway decent conclusion at each season finale.

Edward64 07-17-2023 07:13 AM

I tried watching Netflix's Gloria but couldn't get through ep1.

Quote:

Spies, lies and secrets flourish in Glória do Ribatejo, 1968, as a privileged Radio Free Europe engineer plays all the angles of Cold War Portugal.

Way too much smoking. I get adding some smoking for realism in the period, and the amount shown is probably accurate, but it made me feel a little nauseous.

I know at one time smoking in movies were discouraged. Not sure when it started back up again but I've noticed an uptick in the US shows.

Lathum 07-17-2023 11:46 AM

I take it you never watched Mad Men...

Edward64 07-17-2023 12:01 PM

I did but don't remember it being as bad as Gloria. Check it out when you get a chance, the first 30-40 min is all I could stomach.

Lathum 07-17-2023 12:38 PM

wow. I felt like I would die from ither lung cancer or cirrhosis of the liver from watching that show.

RainMaker 07-17-2023 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3407099)
I take it you never watched Mad Men...

Nothing will top Peaky Blinders.

Edward64 07-24-2023 08:02 AM

Started re-watching The Expanse. Currently on episode 2.5.

I much better understand what's going on now and appreciate noticing some stuff I missed the first time around. My biggest beef so far is its darker, less lighting than it should be, especially in those ship-to-ship battles. I read somewhere that movies do this to cut down on special effects costs.

The series ends on Book 6 and have gotten Kindle Book 7 for my next plane trip. I've always struggled re-watching BSG because I found the "lore" very confusing (even after reading up on it). The Expanse is much more straight forward.

Vegas Vic 07-25-2023 01:40 PM

Just watched "Creed 3" on Amazon Prime. Not bad, but not up to par with the first two, IMO.

One of the most bizarre things about the Creed trilogy is that Apollo and Mary Anne Creed's two biological children are barely mentioned, and they don't even attend Mary Anne's funeral. The writers definitely left a big hole in the storyline.

NobodyHere 07-27-2023 08:50 PM

I found the new episode of Futurama most amusing.

Edward64 07-27-2023 10:49 PM

Finished The Expanse s6. It only had 6 episodes so felt a little rushed vs the other seasons with 10-12. But considering everyone knew Amazon funding was drying up, they still did a great job with concluding the series.

There were some plot lines left open but in reading s6 reviews, basically have to start reading Book 7 which is 30 years later.

If you're a sci-fi fan and you haven't watched this yet, do it.

flere-imsaho 07-27-2023 11:53 PM

Yes, The Expanse is absolutely the best scifi series in recent memory. If you're a fan of the genre, it must be watched,

thesloppy 07-28-2023 12:49 AM

I have been obsessed with Painting With John recently. I think it's on max/hbo. It's pleasantly weird, but not modern over-the top intentionally weird, like 80s late night cable/Night Flight kind of weird. Very mild and absurd, the intimate weirdness of one creative person (John Lurie) given all too much rope in their own space, rather than calculated comedy from some production machine. Having said that, it's the kind of thing that is so mild that giving it any praise feels like it might ruin it from even the slightest expectations.

JonInMiddleGA 07-28-2023 12:51 AM

They Cloned Tyrone

First movie I've watched (aside from random old stuff on YouTube) in I literally don't remember when, based on a very strong recommendation from an old friend.

I have to admit I didn't find it as funny as he did, at least not in terms of quantity. The jokes that did hit were at times quite good -- and there weren't any that notably missed that I recall -- but I was actually more impressed by some of the camera angle & lighting choices than anything else.

I thought it hit its vibe well, mixing genres successfully. I'm not ready to hand out any awards or anything but perfectly fine piece of work. And I'll admit that the identity of "The Reverend" was completely lost on me until looking at the cast after the fact, I absolutely didn't spot who it was.

stevew 07-28-2023 01:32 AM

I watched The Out-Laws so you don’t have to. It’s complete trash with a Joey Gallo contact rate on the jokes. I don’t really hate any of the main actors but it was a shit movie made on a low budget.

RainMaker 07-28-2023 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3407993)
but I was actually more impressed by some of the camera angle & lighting choices than anything else.

I thought this exact thing. Movie was fine but whoever was doing the camerawork needs to be doing some bigger stuff.

RainMaker 07-28-2023 03:24 PM

Has anyone watched the American Gladiators docuseries? Seemed interesting as I was a big fan as a kid, but was surprised it's 5 parts. Hoping it's not one of those Netflix docs that is a few episodes too many.

BYU 14 07-28-2023 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3408021)
Has anyone watched the American Gladiators docuseries? Seemed interesting as I was a big fan as a kid, but was surprised it's 5 parts. Hoping it's not one of those Netflix docs that is a few episodes too many.

I am watching it now, but I also recommend you watch the ESPN two parter, told mostly through the eyes of the 'creator' of the show before watching this one.

Edward64 07-28-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3405829)
Binged watched The Witcher s3. Currently only 5 episodes released.

IMO s2 was better and (other than for the stupid timeline back-and-forth with no help with dates) s1 was also better.

But overall - very enjoyable, well made, good story lines, fantastic fight scenes, and fantastic monsters! I like how they are developing Ciri. The Elven arc is still a little slow going but okay. Going to miss Cavill, I think he's perfectly cast.

(... and thank God they didn't go with the writers, show runners, director & special effects from the disasterous prequel with Michelle Yeoh)

Finished watching Witcher s3 part II.

Ep 6 was fairly decent. Ep 7 & 8 were below par. It wasn't bad acting, it was IMO bad writing. I really hope, when we look back, that part II wasn't the "Jumping the Shark".

Here's to a great s4 with Liam Helmsworth.

Edward64 08-01-2023 06:35 PM

I think the author is too optimistic but it'll be great if it came out late 2023.

The Fallout TV show casting details and news | PC Gamer
Quote:

When is the Fallout TV series going to air?

The Fallout TV series is currently in production. Filming began on July 5, 2022, though there hasn't been a teaser or trailer or any sort of footage released yet. There's a lot involved in the production process, and how long it takes can vary quite a bit from shows. As a point of comparison, Season 2 of Netflix's The Witcher series went into pre-production in January 2020 and aired in December of 2021, but was heavily affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Most television has a pace of one season/series per year.

I'd be willing to bet the Fallout TV series will start airing by the end of 2023, barring any major, unexpected hold-ups like a global thermonuclear war.

RainMaker 08-02-2023 08:47 PM

Anyone tried Twisted Metal yet? Saw some clips that made it look kind of fun.

Swaggs 08-02-2023 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3408036)
Finished watching Witcher s3 part II.

Ep 6 was fairly decent. Ep 7 & 8 were below par. It wasn't bad acting, it was IMO bad writing. I really hope, when we look back, that part II wasn't the "Jumping the Shark".

Here's to a great s4 with Liam Helmsworth.

Is It confirmed that Hemsworth will be Gerat?. I’ll tune in, but that’s going to be a rough transition. Would’ve like to have seen Henry have a bigger send off.

Edward64 08-02-2023 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 3408398)
Is It confirmed that Hemsworth will be Gerat?. I’ll tune in, but that’s going to be a rough transition. Would’ve like to have seen Henry have a bigger send off.

Yes, its confirmed.

Quote:

While The Witcher Season 3 hasn’t debuted yet, it has already been renewed for a fourth season — but there’s a change coming. In Season 4, Liam Hemsworth will step in as the titular monster-hunter Geralt of Rivia, the role Henry Cavill originated in the first three seasons. The two actors shared the exciting news on social media Saturday afternoon.

“My journey as Geralt of Rivia has been filled with both monsters and adventures, and alas, I will be laying down my medallion and my swords for Season 4,” said Cavill in a statement. “In my stead, the fantastic Mr. Liam Hemsworth will be taking up the mantle of the White Wolf. As with the greatest of literary characters, I pass the torch with reverence for the time spent embodying Geralt and enthusiasm to see Liam's take on this most fascinating and nuanced of men. Liam, good sir, this character has such a wonderful depth to him, enjoy diving in and seeing what you can find.”

sovereignstar v2 08-07-2023 08:47 AM

Not sure why it took me so long, but I finally watched the four part 30 for 30 on Oscar Pistorius. My mind was very hazy on the details of that whole saga even though it was barely 10 years ago. Worth a watch, even if it drags on at times. That dude was a character.

Ksyrup 08-07-2023 08:57 AM

I should watch that. The only thing I can remember recently is Jim Jeffries stand-up bit about that whole thing.

JPhillips 08-12-2023 09:24 PM

Reservation Dogs is so damned good.

Edward64 08-12-2023 10:23 PM

No idea how long the writer's strike will be but assume it'll be a while before new stuff is written for movies, streaming etc.

Last time this happened, didn't we get a lot of reality shows?

Pretty sure Netflix will increase foreign stuff. I'm okay with it, but they really need to tone down their Korean shows (except for their zombie stuff) and give others more shelf space.

I'm thinking 2024 will suck for new stuff.

Suicane75 08-13-2023 01:17 AM

Enjoying the hell out of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix. Absurdist, repetitive comedy usually grates on me so I don't know why I love this so much but I find myself belly laughing even when I'm in a bad mood.

Was very intrigued by From on MGM, but I tapped out early in season 2. It's an idea that feels better suited to mini series or limited run show. I just felt like it was never gonna really get anywhere and was being drawn out to an exasperating degree.

Honolulu_Blue 08-13-2023 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3408989)
Reservation Dogs is so damned good.

Agreed 100%. It has been my favorite series the last three years. Consistently funny and deeply emotion.

GrantDawg 08-13-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3408991)
No idea how long the writer's strike will be but assume it'll be a while before new stuff is written for movies, streaming etc.

Last time this happened, didn't we get a lot of reality shows?

Pretty sure Netflix will increase foreign stuff. I'm okay with it, but they really need to tone down their Korean shows (except for their zombie stuff) and give others more shelf space.

I'm thinking 2024 will suck for new stuff.

I was just saying to my wife yesterday that I am surprised they are still filming around here. Not as much, and I know from some of my customers in the industry that they are prepping for a long shutdown. There are still some productions going somehow. They also are continuing to expand one of the bigger studios here, doubling the size yet again. It might be reality TV. Netflix does much of their production here and it wouldn't surprise me if they start some reality shooting locally.

Edward64 08-13-2023 08:55 AM

If you don't mind me asking (for my daughter really), who are your customers and who is "one of the bigger studios"?

Ksyrup 08-13-2023 09:01 AM

One of my good friends owns a card and memorabilia shop in GA and he says the shutdown has hurt his business, believe it or not. He said pretty everyone makes good money and he gets a ton of repeat business and big spenders from the studios.

GrantDawg 08-13-2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3409000)
If you don't mind me asking (for my daughter really), who are your customers and who is "one of the bigger studios"?

No actors if that is what she is asking. Set makers, production staff, etc. There are lots of blue collar workers that have moved to movie production around here. Cinelease Studios is the big one I was talking about, and then Three Horse is the one that has been around since the "Heat of the Night" days. I think much of "Vampire Diaries" was done there. Cinelease is more recent. It was the home for "First Lady", and I believe "Steel Magnolias" is produced there. Cinelease also has a big studio next town over where "The Resident" and "Doom Patrol" is filmed. They also filmed "Hat and Catch Fire" there.

Ksyrup 08-13-2023 05:11 PM

I think Trilith is a biggie on the south side of Atlanta. My buddy's shop is in PTC and I'm pretty sure that studio is in Fayette County as well.

GrantDawg 08-13-2023 05:22 PM

That's in Senoia, right at the edge of Fayetteville. It is where "Walking Dead" and all the Marvel shows are filmed. They literally have their own Home Depot on the lot.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

INDalltheway 08-13-2023 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicane75 (Post 3408994)
Enjoying the hell out of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix. Absurdist, repetitive comedy usually grates on me so I don't know why I love this so much but I find myself belly laughing even when I'm in a bad mood.

Was very intrigued by From on MGM, but I tapped out early in season 2. It's an idea that feels better suited to mini series or limited run show. I just felt like it was never gonna really get anywhere and was being drawn out to an exasperating degree.

If you like ITYSL, then check out Detroiters on Paramount+. I love it.

Suicane75 08-14-2023 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INDalltheway (Post 3409018)
If you like ITYSL, then check out Detroiters on Paramount+. I love it.

It is on the list.

JPhillips 08-15-2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 3408998)
Agreed 100%. It has been my favorite series the last three years. Consistently funny and deeply emotion.

The hunting episode in season 1 is one of the best things I've seen on TV.

JonInMiddleGA 08-16-2023 12:49 AM

Nobody spoiler me or anything 'cause we've got a couple episodes left before the kid heads back to Miami but ... daaaaaamn S4 of Fauda has been a rough one.

I've got a good idea where the season ends & that's tough enough but getting there has been harsh.

I'm mostly talking about the story & the drama and such but also there's moments where I feel like more suspension of disbelief has been required than in past seasons.

JonInMiddleGA 08-16-2023 01:53 AM

Season completed.

Fuck me.

edit to add: I think I came up with the phrase to describe my feelings big picture: the shark hasn't been jumped or anything but it might now be in the water somewhere

molson 08-30-2023 08:34 PM

The Great on Hulu was cancelled after 3 seasons. Bummer

Everything feels tenuous with the cutbacks and strikes, even Emmy-nominated stuff.

GrantDawg 08-30-2023 08:47 PM

That was such a great show. I feel like we have watched the end of the Golden age of television.