Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Official 2021 College Football thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97706)

tarcone 09-25-2021 06:48 PM

Spot on.

I see a Alabama, ND, Oregon, and Iowa playoff. This is the year to give the rarely and never haves to get to the playoffs to keep everyone in line.

JonInMiddleGA 09-25-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3346469)
At the beginning of the season everyone thought the Clemson game would tell the story for Georgia's early season. Now we know it will be the Arkansas game.

Assuming the starting QB is healthy they'll mudhole Arkansas.

I fully expect something that resembles, was it Miss State a few years ago, that came in as the new hotness and got embarrassed.

tarcone 09-25-2021 07:00 PM

Great start by WVU. I hope they can beat Oklahoma.

JonInMiddleGA 09-25-2021 07:01 PM

After seeing what constitutes a "catch" in 2021, I believe we can safely say that the SEC has relieved the PacWhatever of the "Worst Refs On The Planet" title.

miami_fan 09-25-2021 07:15 PM

I am not a Clemson fan and I have not seen any of their games. I still think the comment I just saw about this game reeking of the Tommy Bowden era is a bit of an overreaction.

Thomkal 09-25-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3346467)
It's going to happen folks. AR up 10 point and ball with 2 min left.

.... and we are now 4-0 !!

What a win. Ugly in 2H but the D did enough.

Ugly doesn't matter if you win :)

Thomkal 09-25-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3346475)
Spot on.

I see a Alabama, ND, Oregon, and Iowa playoff. This is the year to give the rarely and never haves to get to the playoffs to keep everyone in line.

Just tired of the same old teams at the top of college football, so let the season of never haves continue

sovereignstar v2 09-25-2021 08:03 PM

Lol, tarcone you are the king of wishful thinking.

JPhillips 09-25-2021 08:25 PM

A Senior backup LB just quit OSU in the middle of the game. When he got back to the locker room he tweeted Fucc Ohio State.

Atocep 09-25-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3346488)
A Senior backup LB just quit OSU in the middle of the game. When he got back to the locker room he tweeted Fucc Ohio State.

A local kid and 5* recruit, Emeka Egbuka, went 85 yards on his first college catch.

bronconick 09-25-2021 09:02 PM

This season is 2007 chaos (except for Alabama) in 2021

JonInMiddleGA 09-25-2021 09:10 PM

Given how poorly Harsin reacted to a question about his plan for making a QB decision for next week, I suspect he's going to be a short term stay at Auburn. He looks like he's considerably out of his depth at knowing how to handle that aspect of the job and if the lack of preparation shown today is an indication, maybe not the only part.

Ask Jim Donnan how being a prick affects your job security, especially when you aren't winning much.

Brian Swartz 09-25-2021 09:12 PM

I think it's worth remembering how a few years ago the whole board was thinking Alabama was obviously the best team and would win in a walk - and then they got beat badly by Clemson in the title game. It seems to me the whole 'Alabama and everybody else' approach is silly this early in the season, esp. when they recently won a game by two points.

bob 09-25-2021 09:14 PM

Northern Illinois lose notwithstanding, is Georgia Tech secretly competent?

JonInMiddleGA 09-25-2021 09:15 PM

Speaking of waaaay out of their depth, I wonder who the next HC in Knoxville will be.

Went to a lot of trouble to get rid of deadweight in Pruitt, only to hire someone that appears equally clueless.

JonInMiddleGA 09-25-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3346497)
Northern Illinois lose notwithstanding, is Georgia Tech secretly competent?

Don't kid yourself. They're just in a conference that doesn't have shit this year.

bob 09-25-2021 09:20 PM

That may be the case, but I’ll take competent in our league vs the alternative (FSU).

bob 09-25-2021 09:37 PM

That was an egregious non-touchdown for GT.

MrBug708 09-26-2021 01:22 AM

Can you fire an Interim coach?

Edward64 09-26-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3346476)
Assuming the starting QB is healthy they'll mudhole Arkansas.

I fully expect something that resembles, was it Miss State a few years ago, that came in as the new hotness and got embarrassed.

Even if QB isn't healthy, I'll still be worried about QB2 Stetson. IIRC Hogs was playing Dawgs really well in 2020 when Stetson came in and changed the dynamics.

But overall, I think Defense is the key. Is GA Defense better than AR Offense? Yes. Is AR Defense better than GA Offense? Probably Not but with a little luck ...

The A&M game showed that KJ is the lynchpin. If he is not doing well (or hurt), the hogs are in big trouble. We don't have a halfway acceptable QB2 right now.

So yeah, the Hogs may get embarrassed by GA next week but pretty clear to me they are a much better team than last year, will have a winning season, and stand a fair chance against any team outside of the top 5-6. Unlike previous years, we are playing with confidence.

Edward64 09-26-2021 08:50 AM

ESPN power rankings has Hogs at #7. CBS projects Hogs at #11. 247Sports has us at #8.

I think #10 or #11 is about the right place.

Vegas Vic 09-26-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3346498)
Went to a lot of trouble to get rid of deadweight in Pruitt, only to hire someone that appears equally clueless.

Went to a lot of trouble to get rid of deadweight in Derek Dooley, Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt, only to hire someone that appears equally clueless.

Thomkal 09-26-2021 01:35 PM

Coastal Carolina now the highest ranked team in South Carolina at #16. Woot!

JonInMiddleGA 09-26-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas Vic (Post 3346512)
Went to a lot of trouble to get rid of deadweight in Derek Dooley, Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt, only to hire someone that appears equally clueless.

They're not good at hiring.

Edward64 09-26-2021 05:31 PM

Hogs rose +8 to #8 in AP and rose +7 to #11 in Coaches.

Not ready to call Pittman/Briles the next Petrino yet but this is a good Year 2 start.

Thomkal 09-26-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3346516)
Coastal Carolina now the highest ranked team in South Carolina at #16. Woot!

So a pretty nice sports weekend for me I guess-Coastal, Dustin Johnson goes 5-0 as the US win the Ryder Cup, football Cardinals win to stay undefeated, baseball Cards win their 15th straight to almost clinch a playoff spot.

Edward64 09-26-2021 06:47 PM

Hah, College Football News has the Hogs at #3. Unexpected, somewhat of a stretch, but enjoying all the positive vibes right now.

College Football Rankings: 1 To 130: Week 4. And Now We Start Over
Quote:

It’s time to blow it all up.

We’re four – and a little more – weeks into the season, and now we have something to work with in the rankings.

For now, we have to respect the results no matter what.

Throw out all of the preconceived notions and preseason rankings. Forget the uniforms, the talent levels, the brand names, and everything else that goes into the rankings and start over.
:
:
3 Arkansas Razorbacks (4-0)
Last Week’s Ranking: 17
Week 4: Arkansas 20, Texas A&M 10

Yeah, it has to be done. Texas has been an offensive machine, and the Hogs won 40-21. The win over Texas A&M was even better than the final score. The team is looking and playing sharp, and it’s doing everything right.

2 Georgia Bulldogs (4-0)
Last Week’s Ranking: 2
Week 4: Georgia 62, Vanderbilt 0

Clemson might not be Clemson, but it took overtime to lose at NC State and it’s still got a ton of defensive talent – so give Georgia credit for the win. Over the last three games it beat two SEC teams and a UAB squad that will probably win the Conference USA title by a combined score of 158-20.

1 Alabama Crimson Tide (4-0)
Last Week’s Ranking: 1
Week 4: Alabama 63, Southern Miss 14

Going into Florida and pulling out the win makes this ranking, but a strong case could be made that Georgia has looked stronger overall. However, Bama isn’t playing its sharpest and it’s still fantastic.

HomerSimpson98 09-27-2021 10:49 AM

Edward is the tarcone of Arkansas.

sovereignstar v2 09-27-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 (Post 3346586)

We're all homers on this board to an extent, but tarcone predicting Iowa in the college playoffs at this point takes the cake for me.

tarcone 09-27-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3346588)
We're all homers on this board to an extent, but tarcone predicting Iowa in the college playoffs at this point takes the cake for me.

You know Im not alone right? Their are ESPN guys predicting it also.

sovereignstar v2 09-27-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3346589)

I see Schlabach is one of them. Strikingly, the Georgia grad has the Bulldogs at #1. You and him would get along great I bet! :p

Brian Swartz 09-27-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone

Well, my only question is that what do you really think about Iowa. Do you think they'll be in the playoff, or do you think as you said that every game in the West is basically a tossup due to poor QB play (including Iowa). If it's anyone's division, as you said less than three hours before putting Iowa in the playoff, then well ... something's got to give there :p As for me, I'm steadfastly on the side of 'let's wait longer' as there's tons of football to go first. On the homerism side, nice that Michigan is bouncing back from last year's debacle, but I think they lose one of the next two games on road (Wisconsin and Nebraska). The passing game just doesn't have enough juice, esp. without Bell.

tarcone 09-27-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3346594)
Well, my only question is that what do you really think about Iowa. Do you think they'll be in the playoff, or do you think as you said that every game in the West is basically a tossup due to poor QB play (including Iowa). If it's anyone's division, as you said less than three hours before putting Iowa in the playoff, then well ... something's got to give there :p As for me, I'm steadfastly on the side of 'let's wait longer' as there's tons of football to go first. On the homerism side, nice that Michigan is bouncing back from last year's debacle, but I think they lose one of the next two games on road (Wisconsin and Nebraska). The passing game just doesn't have enough juice, esp. without Bell.

Yeah, its tough. Iowa has an elite defense and special team group. I mean top5 in the nation. Then I look at our offense. O line is young and struggling. QB play needs to improve, though Petras had 3 nice deep throws. But the run game is meh.

The only team that worries me is PsU and we always play them tough.

sterlingice 09-27-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

In a stunner, I'm going to predict that my Kansas Jayhawks will NOT be in the college football playoffs this year (once again).

SI

Thomkal 09-27-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

So too early then to predict Coastal Carolina in the playoffs then? Damn :)

HerRealName 09-27-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3346596)
In a stunner, I'm going to predict that my Kansas Jayhawks will NOT be in the college football playoffs this year (once again).

SI

There goes that $100.

Regarding Iowa - this is the year to do it. It feels like Ohio State has another loss still coming this year but I don't see that loss sticking out on the schedule. Ohio State is going with young talent and it's creating a lot of friction with the Urban Meyer recruits that have been sticking around waiting for their turn. This gives Iowa a big opportunity if they can survive and advance to the Big Championship game.

GrantDawg 09-27-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3346519)
They're not good at hiring.

When you keep having the same problem with coaches, maybe it is you?

GrantDawg 09-27-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3346595)
Yeah, its tough. Iowa has an elite defense and special team group. I mean top5 in the nation. Then I look at our offense. O line is young and struggling. QB play needs to improve, though Petras had 3 nice deep throws. But the run game is meh.

The only team that worries me is PsU and we always play them tough.

Hell, you sound like you are describing Georgia.

Edward64 09-27-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 (Post 3346586)

Haters are gonna hate. Let me have my fun ...

FWIW, GA is favored by 18.

tarcone 09-27-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3346621)
Haters are gonna hate. Let me have my fun ...

FWIW, GA is favored by 18.

And hate they will.

I get one great run every 6 years and have to see a shit seasons and 4 8 or 9 win seasons to get to the great season. I will always crow.

JonInMiddleGA 09-27-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3346603)
When you keep having the same problem with coaches, maybe it is you?

They go from bad to worse at picking who is doing the picking.

When the AD is a clown, the coaches tend to follow.

Brian Swartz 09-27-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone
I get one great run every 6 years and have to see a shit seasons and 4 8 or 9 win seasons to get to the great season. I will always crow.

If memory serves, you crow during all of those seasons, even the bad ones :p

Because I can, I will point out here that ESPN's FPI says Iowa gets 9.5 wins this year, and still thinks Iowa State is better. No, I don't put much stock in that, but it's a good a thing as any to use as a tweak.

tarcone 09-27-2021 07:57 PM

Love my Hawkeyes.

Grew up in the town with the only sports programs in the state. No big time pro sports. I bleed Black and Gold.

I just thought of the reaction I got when I went to the St Louis I club game watch. Talking to a guy and he asked where I was from, I said Iowa City and he go that Ooohh look. People know. It is a cult.

Vegas Vic 09-28-2021 12:21 AM

It will be entertaining to come back to this page on December 5.

Kodos 09-28-2021 07:04 AM

By then, tarcone will be calling for Ferentz to be fired!

tarcone 09-28-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3346641)
By then, tarcone will be calling for Ferentz to be fired!

That was funny.

I have settled into the realization he isnt going anywhere. We are what we are. The dude survived a huge racism scandal. In todays world that cements him as Iowa's coach until he says he is done. So I better get used to it.

Butter 09-30-2021 10:37 PM

Brutal loss for the Canes tonight.

I mean fuck em, but that was rough

jbergey22 10-01-2021 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3346843)
Brutal loss for the Canes tonight.

I mean fuck em, but that was rough

I thought they were suppose to be decent this year? They've looked like hot garbage all season. Watching them tonight, I was thinking these guys arent good on offense or defense. Where is the talent?

*I know King is hurt, but they looked just as bad with him starting*

JonInMiddleGA 10-01-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3346845)
I thought they were suppose to be decent this year? They've looked like hot garbage all season. Watching them tonight, I was thinking these guys arent good on offense or defense. Where is the talent?

Little talent, even less coaching.
That's a combination that rarely works out well.

And with injuries, they were down to starting one of the few QBs that ever caused me to utter the phrase "damn, Guantanamo would be better than this guy"

miami_fan 10-01-2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3346845)

The current leadership at the university believe that football success is only possible if it comes with some sort of scandal. They are not taking the chance of having any scandal and have no idea how to ensure that scandal does not happen.