Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Disney didn't used to be so bad... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=42901)

Antmeister 09-22-2005 05:30 PM

Disney didn't used to be so bad...

As I just looked through my collection of movies, there are two movies that stand out as my favorite sci fi movies.

One of these movies is TRON. I watched this movie in the early 80's when I was in the 6th grade and recall throwing my frisbee at people trying to destroy the MCP. Now that I own the movie on DVD, I am still fascinated with the special effects for this movies over 20 years later. It may have been because of this movie that I had grown a fascination with computers, because in 1983 is when I got my first one, the Texas Instruments TI-99 4/A computer. And as I watch the movie again, I begin to realize that the movie was so much deeper than I realized.

The second movie is The Black Hole. I originally saw this at a drive in theatre on a military base in 29 Palms way back in either 79-80 when. What I remember most is that the images at the end of the movie scared the crap out of me for about a week or two. I now own the movie and this is yet another movie that has a storyline that fascinated me and seems to be another one of those movies that seems to question life in general.

I guess I am just reminiscing because there aren't too many Disney films that I would consider owning today unless its a PIXAR film. But the live action stuff they do nowadays is pretty much crap.

pennywisesb 09-22-2005 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister71
I recall throwing my frisbee at people trying to destroy the MCP.

Not to take away from the subject of your thread, but this particular line stood out to me and gave me a quick chuckle because my brother and sister had quite a few bruises because I did the same thing.

Yellow5 09-22-2005 05:53 PM

Gotta admit I also did the frisbee thing. :)

I have not seen the Black Hole in years, gonna have to rent it this weekend and see if I can get the kids to sit through it with me.

Antmeister 09-22-2005 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow5
Gotta admit I also did the frisbee thing. :)

I have not seen the Black Hole in years, gonna have to rent it this weekend and see if I can get the kids to sit through it with me.

I just watched the movie with my daughter over the weekend and she loved it. I thought the ending would scare her like it scared me a bit when I was younger, but she watched it two other times already without a problem. I think she was mainly fascinated with the robot Vincent.

Yellow5 09-22-2005 07:55 PM

Just added to my Netflix queue!

On the subject of Disney movies... there was a decade of bad Disney movies from the late 60's to late 70's. The entire series of Herbie movies were terrible, and The Apple Dumpling Gang series has to rank high up on the crap list as well.

edit because I can't spell! woo woo

Antmeister 09-22-2005 08:02 PM

Quote:

Just added to my Netflix queue!

On the subject of Disney movies... there was a decade of bad Disney movies from the late 60's to late 70's. The entire series of Herbie movies were terrible, and The Apple Dumpling Gang series has to rank high up on the crap list as well.

edit because I can't spell! woo woo

Ugh....forgot about the Apple Dumpling Gang and yeah the Herbie movies were bad. I guess there was only a small golden era for Disney then. Black Hole was in 1979 and Tron was in 1982.

WrongWay 09-23-2005 02:03 AM

Sorry, but I loved the "Live" Disney movie Never Cry Wolf.

I still watch it every time I catch it on cable.

Tekneek 09-23-2005 07:45 AM

I've got the 2 DVD Tron here. I love that movie. I also loved The Black Hole. Those movies were made near the end of Ron Miller's tenure (he was Walt Disney's son-in-law) at the head of the company. The live action films of that period still grab me because I was a kid and I got to see them all when my grandmother worked for a film distributor and would bring prints home to show on her own projector.

The hostile takeover launched in 1984 ousted Miller and put Eisner in at the top. Things were never the same again, which has positives AND negatives.

gstelmack 09-23-2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

The entire series of Herbie movies were terrible, and The Apple Dumpling Gang series has to rank high up on the crap list as well.

Sacrilege! You just don't have an appreciation of the fine comedy style that was Tim Conway.