Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The NBA 2018 Offseason Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=93871)

miami_fan 06-09-2018 08:11 PM

The NBA 2018 Offseason Thread

OFFSEASON TIME!

There are still two HC positions open in Detroit and Toronto.

MrBug708 06-09-2018 10:06 PM

Landon? Probably not, doesn't make sense with Lebron chasing rings still

JonInMiddleGA 06-26-2018 08:19 PM

Anybody else see this? J.J. Hickson accused of a home invasion / armed robbery.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...FFXT4CwUxecrL/

miami_fan 06-26-2018 09:55 PM

LA Clippers send Austin Rivers to Washington Wizards for center Marcin Gortat

Adding the personality of Austin Rivers to the Wall/Beal combo is at least interesting.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Morris twin. Should be good times.

Chief Rum 06-27-2018 02:07 AM

Gonna miss Austin Rivers.

Wait, no, no I won't.

stevew 06-27-2018 03:05 AM

I always thought that playing for a coach with a kid on the team and a daughter who bangs players would make for a weird ass dynamic.

Subby 06-27-2018 12:01 PM

I hate the Wizards GM but I like that he was able to move Gortat without giving up assets. Rivers is deservedly maligned, but he is a good scorer and an excellent option of the bench. Be interesting to see how Troy Brown develops, but I like that the Wiz are stocking up on 3 and D dudes like Oubre, Porter, Satoransky, etc..

Dantooine98 06-29-2018 05:48 AM

where do you think Lebron will end up? I think he'll stay in Cleveland.

Groundhog 06-29-2018 06:26 AM

I say this as a Cavs fan - I hope LeBron creates a superteam somewhere and racks up 3 or 4 titles. If it's Cleveland, great. If it's not, completely understand.

Eaglesfan27 06-29-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3209989)
I say this as a Cavs fan - I hope LeBron creates a superteam somewhere and racks up 3 or 4 titles. If it's Cleveland, great. If it's not, completely understand.

Hopefully in Philly!

stevew 06-29-2018 05:31 PM

Dante Exum could be a nice signing for someone. Offer him a full midlevel and see if the Jazz match. He's been hurt a lot, but he's only 22.

miami_fan 06-29-2018 06:08 PM

Somebody (see Dallas) is really going to pay DeAndre Jordan more than $24 million this offseason?

Hmph

Groundhog 06-29-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3210042)
Dante Exum could be a nice signing for someone. Offer him a full midlevel and see if the Jazz match. He's been hurt a lot, but he's only 22.

I don't think he's ever going to be the player I thought he would be after his junior performances for our national team, but if he can hit .400 of his 3s and play lock down D while staying healthy he's going to be in the NBA a long time. The 'staying healthy' part is the real wildcard.

stevew 06-30-2018 03:22 AM

Didn’t he only have a freak shoulder injury and an ACL tear?
?

Chief Rum 06-30-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3210054)
Somebody (see Dallas) is really going to pay DeAndre Jordan more than $24 million this offseason?

Hmph

Yea my thought as well. I love DJ, one of my favorite players to root for in the league, but I have no idea what he and his agent are thinking there.

Chief Rum 06-30-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3210101)
Didn’t he only have a freak shoulder injury and an ACL tear?
?

When you have been in the league for four years but have played less than two seasons of games, freak injuries or not, that is something to question.

Groundhog 06-30-2018 07:32 PM

Bogut was another Aussie who had no specific recurring injuries, just a series of freak injuries throughout his career that saw him miss tons of games. Not to the extent of Exum though.

BishopMVP 06-30-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3210054)

Hmph

Not for 2018-19, but if he wants to sign a multiyear contract with Dallas or somebody maybe that extra guaranteed money is worth lowering his potential.monetary ceiling. Or maybe he really is interested in signing with Golden State for a year then re-entering the market next summer when many more teams have cap space. He's always seemed like somebody who wants to be wanted, and once you've already earned $100 million I imagine it's a lot easier to look past strict dollar amounts when deciding your next job.

Chief Rum 06-30-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3210179)
Bogut was another Aussie who had no specific recurring injuries, just a series of freak injuries throughout his career that saw him miss tons of games. Not to the extent of Exum though.

Bogut, who broke his leg in the first few minutes of his first game with the Cavs in 2017? Naw, that guy's injury prone too. There are only so many "freak injuries" you can suffer before a pattern starts to emerge.

stevew 07-01-2018 12:28 AM

I just don't see how giving Chris Paul a four-year deal at 40 million dollars a year is a good idea

JonInMiddleGA 07-01-2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3210201)
I just don't see how giving Chris Paul a four-year deal at 40 million dollars a year is a good idea

Just replace CP & 40 with Paul George & 30whatever and you've got my NBA thought of the night.

miami_fan 07-01-2018 08:53 AM

I think both signings are defensible. The Rockets now have to trust their medical staff to get him though what six more playoff wins? If they are able to do that and win a title, all of the money on the back end is worth it.

The George signing is not the problem in OKC. It is not necessarily championship worthy but Westbrook/George/Adams is a pretty good core. The corpse of Melo, that is the problem. How many 1st rounders do you attached to Melo's contract to get him the hell out of OKC?

I am interested in what the Lakers do now. I will have to go back and take a look at what the proposed deals were for George were last year. The assumption of a 2018 deal with George being inevitable so why part with anything of value to get him in a 2017 trade with the Pacers seems to have backfired. How sure are they that Kawhi is going to LA in 2019?

Calis 07-01-2018 12:10 PM

Oddly as a Thunder fan I was more excited by the re-signing of Grant. I thought someone might take a chance and overpay him. Glad he stayed, and curious to see how he grows. I think he has pretty solid potential.

I was kind of hoping to see the Suns go after VanVleet. I thought he’d be a fun PG stopgap for them.. not sure I understand Ariza there that much.

I think I’ve reachsd the point where I’m tired of the Kawhi drama and just want that over with.

I’d love to see LeBron end up in Philly I think. I think that’s a team that’d be really interesting to watch.. although I still think Simmons and LeBron is an odd pairing. Could the Sixers afford to sign Redick also?

stevew 07-01-2018 12:34 PM

sixers could probably try to trade Covington or Bayless(or stretch-cut bayless), and then use that money to sign JJ and LeBron. JJ would have to be renounced in order to make any kind of cap space but it's doable.

Groundhog 07-01-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3210200)
Bogut, who broke his leg in the first few minutes of his first game with the Cavs in 2017? Naw, that guy's injury prone too. There are only so many "freak injuries" you can suffer before a pattern starts to emerge.

That's my point though. It's not like he had a degenerative knee condition or something - he just continuously picked up unrelated injuries that saw him miss extended time. I think he should have been playing about 15-20 lbs lighter than he did to match his style of play (in the Bucks days, anyway) - his build just increased his odds of injury. I think Exum is the same, but on the other end of the spectrum.

Groundhog 07-01-2018 06:17 PM

I don't really see LeBron and Ben Simmons as a good match either. Simmons' numbers would fall through the floor.

JPhillips 07-01-2018 06:30 PM

And Markelle Fultz. I don't think there's enough ball for all of them, and the team would generally be very short of shooters.

jbergey22 07-01-2018 07:15 PM

Lebron reportedly to the Lakers.

miami_fan 07-01-2018 07:17 PM

LeBron James joining Los Angeles Lakers on 4-year, $154 million deal

Atocep 07-01-2018 07:22 PM

Unless the Spurs are ready to help out the Lakers I don't think this puts him much closer to a title than he was in Cleveland.

Groundhog 07-01-2018 07:34 PM

If nothing else, it puts his run on Finals appearances in jeopardy. Strange signing, but I assume Lakers are about to pull the trigger on some other pieces now.

tarcone 07-01-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3210301)
Unless the Spurs are ready to help out the Lakers I don't think this puts him much closer to a title than he was in Cleveland.

I agree. Paul George will be there also. So that may change thisngs a bit.

And coming out of the West is, obviously, wat more difficult. Im surprised he didnt go to Philly.

Atocep 07-01-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3210304)
If nothing else, it puts his run on Finals appearances in jeopardy. Strange signing, but I assume Lakers are about to pull the trigger on some other pieces now.

His previous moves made sense from a pure basketball standpoint. This seems to be more about maximizing his income as he gets toward the end of his career. He's stated his goal is to own a team one day and playing and marketing himself in LA is probably the best way to reach that goal.

Lathum 07-01-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3210305)

And coming out of the West is, obviously, wat more difficult. Im surprised he didnt go to Philly.

PG13 already said he was staying in OKC

miami_fan 07-01-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3210305)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3210307)
PG13 already said he was staying in OKC

Well so did DeAndre in 2015;)

RainMaker 07-01-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3210301)

They'll likely get Kawhi next year and have a pretty nice team.

Lebron has won 3 titles. He's getting older. And there is no team he could join (and get paid) that would come close to the Warriors. So now he gets to live in L.A., do movies and stuff, and make a lot of money.

MrBug708 07-01-2018 08:03 PM

It's been awhile since the Lakers actually landed a big name in basketball FA

stevew 07-01-2018 08:29 PM

Hoping Gilbert melts down again and the board of governors forces him to sell the team.

EagleFan 07-01-2018 08:54 PM

Not sure what it means but heard that Leonard would resign with Philly if he is traded there. It wasn't a local story so I don't know what to make of it. If it was local I would write it off as just more wishful thinking.

Of course also hearing Lebron met with Philly today and may announce his decision tomorrow. The hopeful side of me wants both of those to be true.

MrBug708 07-01-2018 09:16 PM

I doubt anybody truly knows what Kawhi would do, including resigning with Philly. He certainly isn't going to leak that out right now. It is kinda like the report that Klay would take less money to resign with US. His dad, a radio guy, laughed and said that ain't no source

BishopMVP 07-01-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3210319)
Not sure what it means but heard that Leonard would resign with Philly if he is traded there. It wasn't a local story so I don't know what to make of it. If it was local I would write it off as just more wishful thinking.

Of course also hearing Lebron met with Philly today and may announce his decision tomorrow. The hopeful side of me wants both of those to be true.

Well, #2 is off the board.

And yeah, I doubt anyone outside Kawhi & his uncle know what he wants to do, and I'm not sure I'd trust his word even if he said it.

(PS I guess Dallas did offer the same $24m DeAndre Jordan turned down in his player option... and the NBA office will still pretend tampering doesn't happen :) )

stevew 07-01-2018 09:31 PM

Lance Stevenson to the Lakers lol.

stevew 07-01-2018 09:37 PM

Cedi Osman has some big shoes to fill.

bhlloy 07-01-2018 10:21 PM

Should be fun to see the first LeVar meltdown now it's not Lonzo's team

EagleFan 07-02-2018 12:15 AM

Guess Lebron is tired of losing the finals, so he doesn't want to get anywhere near them.

Brian Swartz 07-02-2018 01:42 AM

I'm surprised he signed that long of a deal. That's the part to me that indicates his priorities aren't the same as they were. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Brian Swartz 07-02-2018 02:07 AM

Also: LeBron, Lance Stephenson, and Lonzo Ball on the same team(assuming no other deals shake that up). Oh, the books that are going to be written about this. Luke Walton's gonna earn his money.

Chief Rum 07-02-2018 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3210292)
That's my point though. It's not like he had a degenerative knee condition or something - he just continuously picked up unrelated injuries that saw him miss extended time. I think he should have been playing about 15-20 lbs lighter than he did to match his style of play (in the Bucks days, anyway) - his build just increased his odds of injury. I think Exum is the same, but on the other end of the spectrum.

No, I get that. I'm taking a more macro look at it. Yes, perhaps all of Bogut's injuries are freak injuries, sure. But he gets a LOT of freak injuries. At some point, you have to stop talking about bad luck and start talking injury prone.

Ksyrup 07-02-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3210318)
Hoping Gilbert melts down again and the board of governors forces him to sell the team.

I saw something where he a quote was attributed to him about being glad LeBron is leaving so he can get his team back.

Ksyrup 07-02-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3210318)

I saw something where a quote was attributed to him about being glad LeBron is leaving so he can get his team back.