Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2008 NFL Draft Thread-Jake Long Goes #1 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64928)

stevew 04-22-2008 12:26 PM

2008 NFL Draft Thread-Jake Long Goes #1

Figured I'd clean things up a bit and start a separate thread for the draft.

Quote:

LONG GETS $30 MILLION GUARANTEED
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 1:16 p.m.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $4 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

And since different people interpret the term “guaranteed” differently, the only way to compare Long’s deal to Russell’s is to line ‘em up and parse the language.

For Parcells, it’s a win because he paid less money. For Long (and his agent), it’s a win because the deal covers one less season.

We’d still love to know whether Vernon Gholston had a meaningful chance to take less money than that

Terms of the contract look rediculous....11m a year for a Tackle? I know they didn't want to overpay the #1 guy, but that seems like stupid money. Thomas got 5/43 with 23m guaranteed, no way is Long that much better.

Schmidty 04-22-2008 12:28 PM

As much as I hate Michigan, I think Long is the best OL to come out in a long time. I think he'll be even better than Joe Thomas, and will likely make the Pro Bowl his rookie season. The guy is freaking beast.

Kodos 04-22-2008 12:34 PM

Takes a little suspense out of this Saturday. I think it was a good choice. Not sold on Ryan, and now Beck can show if he's got skills next season. If he doesn't, we'll likely be back at the top of the draft next season.

stevew 04-22-2008 12:35 PM

I think you'll be back at the top regardless.

Kodos 04-22-2008 12:38 PM

Probably. What a sad state this team is in right now.

rkmsuf 04-22-2008 12:38 PM

hope the dolphins get the card up there in time

Bad-example 04-22-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 1712208)
I think you'll be back at the top regardless.

I think you underestimate the Raiders' ability to look good in preseason.

stevew 04-22-2008 12:43 PM

Hopefully the OL give QB Beck time to do his thing.

rkmsuf 04-22-2008 12:45 PM

Sun 11 16 Raider at Dolphin

what better game that weekend

Kodos 04-22-2008 12:55 PM

go dolphin

Cringer 04-22-2008 12:57 PM

Come on rookie salary cap, any year now.....

DeToxRox 04-22-2008 12:59 PM

called this a while ago. I am happy for Jake. An instance where coming back his senior year paid off.

stevew 04-22-2008 01:52 PM

I bet that it still takes the LOLphins almost 10 mins on the clock to announce this foregone conclusion. The Rams now have a golden opportunity to get something done before draft day. They would be wise to take advantage of the situation.

Fighter of Foo 04-22-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 1712202)
Terms of the contract look rediculous....11m a year for a Tackle? I know they didn't want to overpay the #1 guy, but that seems like stupid money. Thomas got 5/43 with 23m guaranteed, no way is Long that much better.

NFL terms always look ridiculous. The amount guaranteed (read: signing/roster bonuses) and the salary for the first two years are the only numbers that matter. That's true for any NFL contract. I don't know why the imaginary numbers get reported.

stevew 04-22-2008 01:56 PM

Barring any kind of injury, or if he decides to go Mandarich, he'll see every dollar of this rookie deal. And it will set the baseline for his next contract. I don't think that the numbers are that imaginary anymore.

Fighter of Foo 04-22-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 1712290)
Barring any kind of injury, or if he decides to go Mandarich, he'll see every dollar of this rookie deal. And it will set the baseline for his next contract. I don't think that the numbers are that imaginary anymore.

No, he won't. After the 3rd season or so it will be restructured into an extension or he'll get cut.

Warhammer 04-22-2008 02:36 PM

The problem is if you are the Rams who do you go after? I was hoping that the Fins were going to take anyone but Long. Hopefully, you can make some moves towards Ryan, scare one of the teams drafting behind you, drop a few spots, pick up Ellis and a couple of extra picks.

MacroGuru 04-22-2008 02:48 PM

I am excited by this pick, because Beck has been impressing Sparano (sp?) with his work ethic and attitude, and it brings someone to the OL that should start immediately improve the line.

I just hope that more is coming from them, so as a BYU homer, I can see Beck prosper...

jeheinz72 04-22-2008 02:51 PM

I like the pick and frankly, I think they were stuck overpaying no matter who they took, just because of the slot they were in.

lighthousekeeper 04-22-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeheinz72 (Post 1712325)
I like the pick and frankly, I think they were stuck overpaying no matter who they took, just because of the slot they were in.

They could have signed me for a lot less.

gstelmack 04-22-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 1712243)
Come on rookie salary cap, any year now.....

There is a rookie salary cap. There just is not a reasonable slotting system...

Passacaglia 04-22-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper (Post 1712329)
They could have signed me for a lot less.

Yeah, but they probably would have had to trade up a lot to get you. No way you were going to fall that far.

Logan 04-22-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo (Post 1712296)
No, he won't. After the 3rd season or so it will be restructured into an extension or he'll get cut.

How so? As long as he performs well enough to warrant not being cut, he is not obligated to restructure the deal unless he wants to. He'll hold all the leverage over the Dolphins similar to Larry Fitz this offseason.

DaddyTorgo 04-22-2008 03:24 PM

Just read this on ESPN.com (as a blurb they wrote for the article) and almost spit the water out of my mouth, it makes no sense:

Jake Long is the best player at the deepest position in this year's draft so it's no wonder the Dolphins made him the No. 1 overall pick.

Now I'm not quibbling with him being #1 overall, but being the best player at the deepest position in the draft should dictate that you are NOT the #1 overall pick. It's a reason NOT to be the #1 overall pick, not a reason TO BE the #1 overall pick.

F*CKING MORONS they got over there

Kodos 04-22-2008 03:37 PM

Oh noes! There are only 6 more guys like this one! We'd better grab him instead of the one NFL-caliber QB on the board! (Just kidding about Ryan)

stevew 04-22-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1712342)
How so? As long as he performs well enough to warrant not being cut, he is not obligated to restructure the deal unless he wants to. He'll hold all the leverage over the Dolphins similar to Larry Fitz this offseason.

Or if he does re-do the deal, presumedly the next deal will incorporate the 25m he'd make in the last 2 years of his current deal. So, he gets put into a 4 year 60million dollar deal or something to that effect.

Ask Robert Gallery how much of his rookie deal he hasn't earned yet.

Fighter of Foo 04-22-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1712342)

No, Fitzgerald hit incentive bonuses that made MUCH more of his contract guaranteed. THAT and the fact the Arizona was incompetent enough to write such a contract and put themselves in that sort of bind gave Fitzgerald enormous leverage. Big difference.

As a player, your only leverage is how well you perform and the amount of money you're guaranteed. Signing bonuses are spread equally over the length of the contract, so that's 6MM/per. We haven't seen the details here, but let's assume the breakdown is something for the remaining 27 million is something like 1/3/5/7/11.

If you think the Fish or any other team is going to pay one player 17 million dollars for one season with a salary cap in place, you're an idiot. He'll either be cut and end up earning less or (much more likely if he's legit) he'll sign an extension, still earn less than 17MM that season, but more long-term.

Just as an example of NFL contract fun, a team can sign someone to a 3-year $100 million dollar deal with 3 million guaranteed. The structure for the signing bonus is 1/1/1. The rest of the 97 million is 1/1/95. This might get reported as player X signs $100 million dollar deal! In reality, it's 5 million for two years with the last million coming as a cut bonus. Now for salary restructures, you aren't allowed to take money off the table which is why there aren't any examples this extreme.

Regading Gallery, his 2008 salary is listed at 2.61 for this season and his signing bonus, IIRC was around 16-18 for 5. Either he had a front loaded contract or one with some unattainable bonuses in it.

Izulde 04-22-2008 05:00 PM

So we go with the safe pick. Not a bad decision at all, considering we need help everywhere and hopefully J. Long can be a studmuffin LT.

Izulde 04-22-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 1712405)

Yes I'm familiar with the common usage of it, kthx. :p

Cringer 04-22-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1712330)
There is a rookie salary cap. There just is not a reasonable slotting system...

I mean a real cap, one which basically says "Hey rookie, you haven't done crap to earn millions of dollars that should be going towards veterans who have proven themselves, so you get $500,000 a year at the most for 4 years."

That kind of rookie salary cap.

Logan 04-22-2008 05:26 PM

As Ronnie Dobbs said, you really didn't need to write all that out on how NFL contracts work. We all know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo (Post 1712381)
If you think the Fish or any other team is going to pay one player 17 million dollars for one season with a salary cap in place, you're an idiot. He'll either be cut and end up earning less or (much more likely if he's legit) he'll sign an extension, still earn less than 17MM that season, but more long-term.

Call me an idiot then. Do your homework and take notice at how the NFL salary cap is escalating. Yes, 5 years from now there will probably be plenty of players with a cap figure of $17 million. But that actually doesn't matter. If he's legit and the Dolphins choose to cut him since they refuse to pay him the $11 million base, all he'll do is sign a new deal with someone else that will give him much more guaranteed than the $11 million. Like probably another $30 million. Again, show me where the Dolphins will have the leverage to force him to renegotiate his deal as you have stated.

Noop 04-22-2008 05:48 PM

Good choice. I hope we are able to parlay our way to Brian Brohm in the second round. He was a top 5 choice last season but this season he is a second rounder... weird.

Big Fo 04-22-2008 06:06 PM

So how does Jake Long compare to what people thought of Joe Thomas/D'Brickashaw Ferguson/other highly-rated tackles in recent years before the draft?

SFL Cat 04-22-2008 07:11 PM

Don't know that I'd ever take an offensive lineman as the first pick. I've heard some people say Long would be better at RT because he tends to have some trouble with speed rushers (i.e., everyone in the NFL). Plus there have been a lot of top O linemen selected in the top-10 during the past five that haven't really panned out. Most have become solid starters, but not the awesome studs people were predicting.

If I had a say, I think I would've gone for Howie's kid. The Dolphins have done okay with a top notch defense and a mediocre offense for years. When the D finally collapsed during the past couple of years, especially in the secondary, that's when the Fins' record bottomed out.

miami_fan 04-22-2008 07:46 PM

I don't immediately hate this pick. Definite improvement from last year.

st.cronin 04-22-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFL Cat (Post 1712502)
Don't know that I'd ever take an offensive lineman as the first pick. I've heard some people say Long would be better at RT because he tends to have some trouble with speed rushers (i.e., everyone in the NFL). Plus there have been a lot of top O linemen selected in the top-10 during the past five that haven't really panned out. Most have become solid starters, but not the awesome studs people were predicting.

If I had a say, I think I would've gone for Howie's kid. The Dolphins have done okay with a top notch defense and a mediocre offense for years. When the D finally collapsed during the past couple of years, especially in the secondary, that's when the Fins' record bottomed out.

I tend to agree with this, but I think Long is an OK pick. There are no questions about his character, durability or work ethic, so he should be a fine player. He may not be Joe Thomas, but he's also not going to be Robert Gallery.

Groundhog 04-22-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 1712416)
I mean a real cap, one which basically says "Hey rookie, you haven't done crap to earn millions of dollars that should be going towards veterans who have proven themselves, so you get $500,000 a year at the most for 4 years."

That kind of rookie salary cap.

Isn't the average NFL career something like 3 seasons? Given that there aren't a lot of other pro sporting opportunity for professional footballers outside of the NFL (Canadian league, Arena?), I don't mind them getting crazy contracts so much.

stevew 04-22-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

The Vikings, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, surrendered their first-round pick in the 2008 draft and both third-round selections for Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen.

The Chiefs will now add the No. 17, No. 73, and No. 82 overall selections to the No. 5, No. 35, and No. 66 picks, giving them six selections among the first 100 picks.

The Chiefs just got a jumpstart to their rebuilding process by dealing Allen. Obviously he will be hard to replace, as he's one of the best at his position. But with 3 picks in the top 35, they can definitely address some areas of need.

st.cronin 04-22-2008 10:58 PM

I guess the Chiefs think Gholston will be available at #5.

stevew 04-22-2008 11:41 PM

I'm just stoked it gives Herm Edwards another chance to ruin some more careers.

Cringer 04-23-2008 01:10 AM

Crap, I guess now we know who will injure Aaron Rodgers this season. :(

I wouldn't care much if it wasn't an NFC North team.

stevew 04-23-2008 01:21 AM

if you have some time, the "official" Emmit Smith mock draft is pretty damned funny.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008emmitt.php

Schmidty 04-23-2008 01:51 AM

It was funny, but I couldn't get through the whole thing because it be repetitive, so to speak.

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-23-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1712728)
I guess the Chiefs think Gholston will be available at #5.

Chris Long is also mentioned in today's KC Star as a possibility.......

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/587889.html

Quote:

Having six picks in the first three rounds almost certainly will change the Chiefs’ draft strategy. With only one first-round pick, the Chiefs were almost locked into drafting an offensive lineman to fill one of their voids in the starting lineup.

They now have the flexibility to do many things. They could opt to draft Allen’s replacement, possibly Virginia’s Chris Long or Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston, with the fifth pick. Then they could then get an offensive lineman by bundling picks to move up from the 17th spot or they could select one using the 17th pick.

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-23-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 1712767)
Crap, I guess now we know who will injure Aaron Rodgers this season. :(

I wouldn't care much if it wasn't an NFC North team.

Best suggestion..........open a large bar within driving distance of his home.

21C 04-25-2008 12:37 AM

I was initially disappointed when the draft got moved to 3pm. The previous start time of noon EST was 2am for me. I could easily stay up for the first few picks of the 1st round and keep up to date with audio feeds and web sites.

The 3pm start meant it would be 5am here and I couldn't do that at all. I'm a night owl but even that was too late for me. I resigned myself to catching up with the picks the next day on the net.

Well I just found out that the Australian version of ESPN is carrying the draft live. In previous years, they had an edited version a couple of days later which was no good since I knew all of the picks by then and I wasn't going to avoid any draft news for that long. I still won't be watching it live but it will be as good as live when I record it and watch when I get up.

Happy days!

Oilers9911 04-25-2008 07:08 AM

From a pure entertainment standpoint, should the NFL do something to stop the practice of announcing the signing of the 1st overall pick days before the draft? I know it won't affect the viewership or anything but it just isn't as much fun without the suspense of the first pick. Sure, let them sign him but just keep it under wraps.

SteveMax58 04-25-2008 07:17 AM

I'm trying to figure out why I have just heard that Chris Long is Howie Long's son for the first time this morning.

I mean the rock I've been hiding under has quite a bit of open space for news like that...hmm. I feel uninformed and out of touch now.

sabotai 04-26-2008 12:41 AM

Just about a done deal that Jeremy Shockey will be traded to the Saints. They've offered a 2nd round pick, but the Giants want more. The Giants asked for S Roman Harper as well as the 2nd pick, but the Saints rejected it. The Saints might offer the G-Men their 2nd and 5th round picks for Shockey.

bhlloy 04-26-2008 01:59 AM

Shockey coming off surgery isn't even worth a second. Saints must be crazy to do the second and the fifth. They could have any TE they wanted in the draft with their second round pick, and that TE wouldn't have a shitty attitude and be getting close the the downside of his career...