Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hmmm, Obama/Bush.. What a fine line... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=81490)

A-Husker-4-Life 05-27-2011 08:51 AM

Hmmm, Obama/Bush.. What a fine line...

Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension - US news - Security - msnbc.com

Welcome to the change we were promised... Well maybe not...

JPhillips 05-27-2011 09:01 AM

Even more disappointing is the bullshit from Reid on immediate passage.

If you don't stop these things initially they metastasize and become impossible to root out.

DaddyTorgo 05-27-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life (Post 2475966)
Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension - US news - Security - msnbc.com

Welcome to the change we were promised... Well maybe not...

+1

claphamsa 05-27-2011 09:30 AM

Obama has been an incredible failure. too bad the choice in 2 years will be between him and some teaparty wacco.

JonInMiddleGA 05-27-2011 09:44 AM

Like Gitmo, another instance where something is so simply necessary that even a flaming liberal can do 'em ;)

JediKooter 05-27-2011 11:53 AM

The Patriot act is a complete joke. Obama deserves to be skewered over this.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

RendeR 05-27-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2476021)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

This.

JediKooter 05-27-2011 11:56 AM

My hat goes off to the 8 that voted against it.

Schmidty 05-27-2011 12:12 PM

I don't pretend to follow politics closely at all anymore, but can anyone give me some examples where the Patriot Act has been seriously abused or has caused noticeable harm? I'm just curious, but too lazy to look it up.

Galaxy 05-27-2011 01:22 PM

The even more pathetic part is he has no excuse no that he got the big gun, Osama. Certainly doesn't help in the PR department to sign it following the death.

SteveMax58 05-27-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2475970)
If you don't stop these things initially they metastasize and become impossible to root out.

+1

Though...I'm referring to government programs in general.

panerd 05-27-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claphamsa (Post 2475982)
Obama has been an incredible failure. too bad the choice in 2 years will be between him and some teaparty wacco.

Yep. One like Rand Paul who actually stood up to the military industrial spying complex and tried to speak for the people. :rolleyes:

panerd 05-27-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty (Post 2476031)
I don't pretend to follow politics closely at all anymore, but can anyone give me some examples where the Patriot Act has been seriously abused or has caused noticeable harm? I'm just curious, but too lazy to look it up.

CAsterling 05-31-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 2476021)

+1
Patriot act, the most evil piece of legislation ever implemented by a supposed democracy.

Noop 05-31-2011 09:49 AM

You think the Patriot Act is the most evil? I dunno man I vote for the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 to be the most evil.

Abe Sargent 05-31-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAsterling (Post 2476986)
+1
Patriot act, the most evil piece of legislation ever implemented by a supposed democracy.

Just because it's the Internet, let's not over-egg the political banter pudding. There have been many worse, including many in this country against the natives, against slaves, against immigrants of non-European descent, etc. This is hardly any of those, and that's just in America.

CAsterling 05-31-2011 10:45 AM

Call me paranoid, but any piece of legislation that allows me to be detained indefinitely because of the books I take out of a library, or my internet browsing history, or electronic wire tap which requires no approval - Then I don't get to know why I have been detained and I have to prove my innocence against unseen evidence.....and this can be done to anyone of any ethnic group for any reason by nameless national security groups with little to no oversight......yep its evil.

Whilst other legislation may be/have been evil to specific groups, this one allows for something awful to be done to anybody on the basis of "National Security".
Whether or not it has actually been used this way, it provides the opportunity for evil to be perpetrated and it does it using a name that makes it seem Patriotic to do so.

Back to the President Obama signing it thing......I thought he was going to stop using this law, close Gitmo, support Gay Marriage, get the army out of foreign countries and generally make things peaceful and nice for everybody......call me cynical (as well as paranoid) but I'm not seeing much success with any of this things from him.

Sorry to go on, but this is the one piece of legislation in my life time that I have opposed from its inception and the only one that makes me worry for the future of democratic government when it can be implemented by a country as great as America.

MrBug708 05-31-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noop (Post 2476988)
You think the Patriot Act is the most evil? I dunno man I vote for the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 to be the most evil.

I think he was speaking strictly morally

Drake 05-31-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Just because it's the Internet, let's not over-egg the political banter pudding.

Sidenote: I'm stealing this line for use in another context later. Thanks for your contribution to my appearance of wit.

Abe Sargent 05-31-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 2477027)
Sidenote: I'm stealing this line for use in another context later. Thanks for your contribution to my appearance of wit.

You are welcome!

Drake 05-31-2011 08:45 PM

Just used it. You can have it back now. Sorry about any stains. :)