Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What Book Do You Want To Be a Movie? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95979)

tarcone 07-19-2019 02:50 PM

What Book Do You Want To Be a Movie?

What is your favorite book that you want turned into a movie?

I would go into directors and stars and what not, but Im pretty stupid when it comes to that stuff. Really, I could care less about those type of people.

But what is one book you want to see as a movie?

My choice is Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. This is the book before the sub book and movie. What a great and realistic story. Maybe to realistic. But what a fantastic movie it could be.

JonInMiddleGA 07-19-2019 02:54 PM

I always hoped the Wildcards series would finally reach the screen (though more as a series than a movie)

panerd 07-19-2019 04:09 PM

Flow my Tears, The Policeman Said.

Though when I searched a second ago to see if it was a movie already it looks like somebody has the rights just hasn't made the movie. Anything of Phillip Dick's really could be an outstanding adaptation.

Blade Runner: A+
Total Recall: A
Minority Report: A
Next: B-
Adjustment Bureau: B
Scanner Darkly: Never saw the movie but now will have to check it out.
Man in the High Castle: The tv series isn't my cup of tea especaily when they decided to make it multiple seasons but I think it is one of Amazon Prime's big hits.
Electric Dreams: Seemed to try too hard to be Black Mirror. Some great episodes, some misses. (I admit too that I am not familiar with most of the source material as it is from his short stories and not his books, sort of like Stephen King's Night Shift)

NobodyHere 07-19-2019 04:12 PM

The Silmarillion

tarcone 07-19-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3243665)

Though when I searched a second ago to see if it was a movie already it looks like somebody has the rights just hasn't made the movie. Anything of Phillip Dick's really could be an outstanding adaptation.

Man in the High Castle: The tv series isn't my cup of tea especaily when they decided to make it multiple seasons but I think it is one of Amazon Prime's big hits.
Electric Dreams: Seemed to try too hard to be Black Mirror. Some great episodes, some misses. (I admit too that I am not familiar with most of the source material as it is from his short stories and not his books, sort of like Stephen King's Night Shift)

Wow. Some of my favorite movies are in there.

weegeebored 07-19-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3243656)
My choice is Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. This is the book before the sub book and movie. What a great and realistic story. Maybe to realistic. But what a fantastic movie it could be.

100% agree. However, RSR came out in '86 and Red October was written in '84. My choice would be the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy with Zahn writing the screenplay and with the original cast before they get old or pass away. Oh...wait.

DavidCorperial 07-19-2019 06:17 PM

I'd love to see some of R. A. Salvatore's books, especially the Drizzt ones.

Edward64 07-19-2019 06:45 PM

Not just one ...

Patrick Rothfuss "The Kingkiller" Chronicles would be great. Not a lot of action but I can envision the story telling, the visuals and mystery being great.

Brandon Sanderson "Mistborn" would be pretty good too with the magic system.

If I had to pick one Sanderson series though, it would be the "Stormlight Archive" series (not yet completed, another 7 (?) books to go).

I only finished the first book in "Wheel of Time" (not a fan, it was painful to finish" but has to be me) but think it deserves to be in the movies/HBO.

cuervo72 07-19-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegeebored (Post 3243678)
100% agree. However, RSR came out in '86 and Red October was written in '84. My choice would be the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy with Zahn writing the screenplay and with the original cast before they get old or pass away. Oh...wait.

Heh, dammit - beat me to the "well, I don't really care, but..." answer.

Ryche 07-19-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3243682)
Not just one ...

Patrick Rothfuss "The Kingkiller" Chronicles would be great. Not a lot of action but I can envision the story telling, the visuals and mystery being great.

If I had to pick one Sanderson series though, it would be the "Stormlight Archive" series (not yet completed, another 7 (?) books to go).

I only finished the first book in "Wheel of Time" (not a fan, it was painful to finish" but has to be me) but think it deserves to be in the movies/HBO.

Not just you, I've tried the first Wheel o Time book, couldn't finish it.

And any of Sanderson's books would be great. Lies of Locke Lamora too.

Lathum 07-19-2019 08:56 PM

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. Would be an absolutely amazing fantasy movie.

Groundhog 07-19-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3243665)

I'd love to see Flow My Tears made. He had a short story I read as a teen about robots that were supposed to be helping mankind but had basically been programmed wrong and were destroying them and forcing people underground - can't remember the title, but I think it's influenced a lot of different stories. I'll be watching a random sci fi movie or a Black Mirror episode and it makes me think back to it. Even watching Wall-E a few months ago made me think back to it.

I saw A Scanner Darkly when it was released and from memory it was a pretty straight adaptation with a funky animation style. It was I think the first PKD book I ever read, and I enjoyed it, but I haven't watched it again since.

A non PKD story I'd love to see done again and pretend the initial horrible adaptation never happened would be The Dark Tower.

BishopMVP 07-20-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3243710)
A non PKD story I'd love to see done again and pretend the initial horrible adaptation never happened would be The Dark Tower.

I actually thought it was a pretty well done adaptation once the horrible decision to shorten it into a single movie was made :lol:
Quote:

Not just one ...

Kingkiller might have a bigger asterisk than Stormlight... I don't see any way the 3rd book lives up to the expectations the first two set - at least Sanderson has things mapped out! (And I agree Mistborn could work very well, or at least book #1)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryche (Post 3243700)
Not just you, I've tried the first Wheel o Time book, couldn't finish it.

And any of Sanderson's books would be great. Lies of Locke Lamora too.

Did we just become best friends?!? (Speaking of unfinished series) Lies is as good as any fantasy novel out there & that world is perfect for a series. Unlike many in the genre there's enough character development that an eventual disappointing answer to the big question wouldn't really matter. Off the top of my head Elmore Leonard is the only other author who could write dialogue that well.

spleen1015 07-22-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Not just one ...

I would love to see a Mistborn tv show. It would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure Amazon is making a Wheel of Time show.

ISiddiqui 07-22-2019 11:25 AM

The only issue with Kingkiller Chronicles is the same with the Song of Ice and Fire - Rothfuss hasn't finished it, and doesn't seem to really be rushing to do so.

And yes, Amazon is making a Wheel of Time show:

The Wheel of Time (TV series - Wikipedia)

bob 07-22-2019 11:33 AM

Either a Red Storm Rising or World War Z miniseries by HBO would be top of the list for me.

Arles 07-22-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3243702)
The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. Would be an absolutely amazing fantasy movie.

This is a great choice I didn't think of.

My favorite Grisham book is "The Broker" and I think it would be a fantastic movie. I'm actually shocked no one has done it yet. I'm a sucker for the "blend into a new identity/country" mechanic - so I loved that part of the book. But, I think a movie could speed that up and focus more on the assassination attempts and escaping surveillance.

JPhillips 07-22-2019 11:59 AM

Wheel of Time will be 72 seasons of beautifully shot, amazingly detailed exposition.

Is there an example of a good Heinlein adaptation? The Moon is a Harsh Mistress could be a good film.

ISiddiqui 07-22-2019 01:14 PM

So I just looked it up, the last published book in the Kingkiller Chronicles was released the same year that the last published book in the Song of Ice and Fire was released - 2011. And neither seem to be in a big hurry to release the next book in the series.

albionmoonlight 07-22-2019 01:44 PM

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, directed by the Cohen Bros.

Edward64 07-22-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3243821)
I'm pretty sure Amazon is making a Wheel of Time show.

Looked it up. Nice, hope they have a good budget

The Wheel of Time is Amazon's most highly anticipated show
Quote:

Westworld and Altered Carbon director Uta Briesewitz will direct the first two episodes of Amazon’s show. The showrunner is Rafe Judkins.

So when will production for The Wheel of Time begin? Production Weekly has it Amazon will start filming in Prague this September. Ready for a new fantasy epic?

Edward64 07-22-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3243839)
So I just looked it up, the last published book in the Kingkiller Chronicles was released the same year that the last published book in the Song of Ice and Fire was released - 2011. And neither seem to be in a big hurry to release the next book in the series.

Man, I didn't think it was that long ago.

Groundhog 07-22-2019 07:37 PM

Thinking about this more this morning, HP Lovecraft's stuff is incredibly difficult to translate to film I think because so much of the horror in it comes from the 'unimaginable terror' that is usually hinted at rather than 'shown' in the text. It's an interesting challenge and I think it requires some creative cinematography to get right. I actually think Evil Dead 2 did maybe the best job I've seen of approaching this - I'm struggling to think of a better attempt since.

At the Mountains of Madness is probably the best candidate for an adaptation I think. I know Guillermo del Toro has been trying to get this made for years with no success and that doesn't seem set to change any time soon. It's easily translatable to a sci fi setting also, which might be an easier way to get it funded too.

Surtt 07-23-2019 10:13 AM

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Warhammer 07-23-2019 11:19 AM

My top two were already mentioned:

Red Storm Rising
The Silmarillion

I always felt both would have issues being made due to the number of different threads and characters in the books.

Izulde 07-23-2019 04:10 PM

Whatever fiction book I write and eventually publish.

amandawallers 07-23-2019 10:09 PM

Chinese romantic novels :) but the most important thing is actors have to express their emotions like in novels, that's the hardest thing.

MacroGuru 07-25-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

I read this in junior high when I was home with Mono. It was an eye opening fantasy book for me and I couldn't believe it came from Stephen King.

NobodyHere 07-25-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Wasn't knitting a key plot point to this book?