Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dinosaurs (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96986)

Kodos 09-18-2020 02:47 PM

Dinosaurs

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...ctive-feature/

This is a good article about advances in our knowledge about dinosaurs. It includes some cool animations of dinosaurs.

Ksyrup 09-18-2020 02:51 PM

Anybody watch Dino Hunters on Discovery? Pretty interesting series (1st season was short, about 6 episodes) following 3-4 groups of ranchers in Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming who are essentially trying to supplement their lack of farming income by locating and selling dinosaur fossils on their land. Several of them have made some historic finds in the past and one of them appears to have uncovered a nice find during these episodes.

Butter 09-18-2020 03:06 PM

Not the mama?

molson 09-18-2020 04:35 PM

Are kids into dinosaurs like they used to be? I remember in the 80s there were at least 2 kids in every class who were absolutely nuts about them. I think maybe there was some new discoveries around then that had grade school teachers pushing them as a a thing. Kind of like how when the Titanic was found in 1985, it suddenly became a huge school thing that we would spend a ton of time learning about.

AlexB 09-18-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3301756)
Not the mama?

I skipped into this thread, skipped back out, but my eye caught this on the way out :bowdown:

whomario 09-18-2020 06:07 PM

Awesome article !

I actually read a decent chunk of books and articles recently on this. Two especially recommended:

David Hone - The Tyrannosaur Chronicles (basically an overview on scholarship/science of the various Tyrannosaur species. Also a brilliant speaker: How the Tyrannosaurs Ruled the World – with David Hone - YouTube )

Steve Brusatte - The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs (doing a great job transporting the fascination of discovery and showcasing how scientific views have changed quite fundamentally over the last 20-30 year. Kinda like the article above)

Kodos 09-18-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3301786)
Awesome article !

I actually read a decent chunk of books and articles recently on this. Two especially recommended:

David Hone - The Tyrannosaur Chronicles (basically an overview on scholarship/science of the various Tyrannosaur species. Also a brilliant speaker: How the Tyrannosaurs Ruled the World – with David Hone - YouTube )

Steve Brusatte - The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs (doing a great job transporting the fascination of discovery and showcasing how scientific views have changed quite fundamentally over the last 20-30 year. Kinda like the article above)

I will definitely check that stuff out. I am a dino nut.

Kodos 10-02-2020 09:46 AM

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...dilophosaurus/

CrimsonFox 10-02-2020 01:39 PM

sterlingice 10-02-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3301777)
Are kids into dinosaurs like they used to be? I remember in the 80s there were at least 2 kids in every class who were absolutely nuts about them. I think maybe there was some new discoveries around then that had grade school teachers pushing them as a a thing. Kind of like how when the Titanic was found in 1985, it suddenly became a huge school thing that we would spend a ton of time learning about.

My kid seems to like them a lot but he's also influenced by his parents. We also have one of the best dinosaur exhibits in the US in Houston so that helps a lot. Honestly, anyone who doesn't have HMNS ranked in their top 10 museums for dinosaurs after the renovation just hasn't been

Allosaurus Roar’s Top Twenty-Five North American Dinosaur Museums | Allosaurus Roar

SI

Kodos 10-02-2020 02:26 PM

It's nice that I work within a half mile of #12, the Yale Peabody Museum. Well, at least I do when there isn't a pandemic going on.

sterlingice 10-02-2020 02:48 PM

Looks like I've been to 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, and 13

SI

whomario 01-27-2021 05:29 AM

For any Podcast people here a recommendation:

Terrible Lizards

Mainly one Scientiest (David Hone) and Presenter (Iszi Lawrence) , some other guests for short segments. Covering a vast of different topics, Sometimes a certain dinosaur, sometimes certain behaviours. Hone is a great communicator and Lawrence does a great job butting in when he gets too technical.

Kodos 01-29-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3301786)
Awesome article !

Why Dinosaurs Would Have Ruled the Earth Featuring Dr. Steve Brusatte - YouTube

Podcast interview with Steve Brusatte.

CrimsonFox 01-29-2021 07:23 PM

Genndy Tartokovsky (creator of Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls) has a new show on Adult Swim called Primal.

It's AWESOME!!!!!!!

Coffee Warlord 01-29-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3325881)

I glossed over this name, and thought it said "Featuring Dr Steve Buscemi."

whomario 05-25-2022 04:14 AM

Quick FYI: The new BBC/Apple Series "Prehistoric Planet" (only streaming on Apple for now) is utterly jawdropping, just amazing CGI and actually featuring a ton of newer scientific knowledge as well. Of course some of it is speculation to a degree (nature of the beast here) but still.

Basically Planet Earth with Dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters. Including narration by David Attenborough

Ksyrup 05-25-2022 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3301752)
Anybody watch Dino Hunters on Discovery? Pretty interesting series (1st season was short, about 6 episodes) following 3-4 groups of ranchers in Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming who are essentially trying to supplement their lack of farming income by locating and selling dinosaur fossils on their land. Several of them have made some historic finds in the past and one of them appears to have uncovered a nice find during these episodes.

I'll put another plug in for this show. It's usually 6 or 7 episodes a season and they have done 2 seasons so far. We recorded it last fall and watched it a couple of months ago. Interesting stuff, one group is working on a potentially major triceratops or torosaurus that they partially unearthed but had to cover for the winter and presumably will begin digging again now (and hopefully show on a third season later this year).

tarcone 05-25-2022 08:00 PM

HEY! I found a rock. It looks like a human femur but really big. I bet I can manufacture an amazing creature from millions of years ago.

HAHAHAHAHA

Ksyrup 05-25-2022 08:46 PM

...that will sell for thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

NobodyHere 05-25-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3368229)
...that will sell for thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

They found ancient fossil NFTs!?!?!?!?!

Kodos 05-25-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3368126)
Quick FYI: The new BBC/Apple Series "Prehistoric Planet" (only streaming on Apple for now) is utterly jawdropping, just amazing CGI and actually featuring a ton of newer scientific knowledge as well. Of course some of it is speculation to a degree (nature of the beast here) but still.

Basically Planet Earth with Dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters. Including narration by David Attenborough

This sounds great. Will definitely check it out!

RainMaker 05-25-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

This has been incredible. Great recommendation.

whomario 09-08-2022 04:03 PM

These are great:

WONDER Artistic Models – Wonder Artistic Models

stevew 09-09-2022 01:22 AM

What was it exactly that sexual Harris meant?

sterlingice 09-20-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3376923)
What was it exactly that sexual Harris meant?

Steve Rogers: I understood that reference!

SI

whomario 04-24-2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Season 2 starts May 22nd :)

Kodos 04-24-2023 12:01 PM

Looking forward to it!

dubb93 04-24-2023 03:08 PM

Dang. When I saw this I thought it was a thread about people that still use Firefox.

Fidatelo 04-25-2023 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubb93 (Post 3399497)
Dang. When I saw this I thought it was a thread about people that still use Firefox.

I feel seen.