Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Your Worst Sports Year (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=79861)

Chief Rum 11-19-2010 06:20 PM

Your Worst Sports Year

You know, the crapitude that is UCLA football last night has made me reflect on something that has occurred to me some for months now--this is probably the worst calendar year ever for me with respect to teams I root for.

My teams are the Angels (baseball), UCLA football & basketball (college), Clippers (pro basketball), the Ducks (hockey), the Galaxy (MLS) and Middlesbrough (English football). Fortunately, I gave up on the Rams when they left town, so I don't really have a pro football team to follow.

In this calendar year, the Angels had their worst year since 2003, finsihing below .500. UCLA football is a joke this season (and on national TV). UCLA basketball (mostly referencing last year) had its worst season since the last Lavin/first Howland year. The Clippers continue to be awful as usual. The Ducks' string of playoff appearances came to an end last year, and Middlesbrough failed to get back up to the EPL after being relegated last year (and in fact are nearer the drop zone for going down even further even now).

This year even saw Team USA fail to win gold in Olympic men's hockey and arguably underachieved in the World Cup.

The Galaxy at least got to the conference finals, but of all of my favorites, they are probably the least.

I can't think of a year where so much has gone wrong with teams I root for.

So I am wondering if anyone else here can recall years they had where it seemed like all of their teams just are shitting the bed, as it were?

Mantle2600 11-19-2010 06:26 PM

I'm a Cleveland fan...so...I'd say every damn year.

Bearcat729 11-19-2010 06:27 PM

I'm a Reds and a Browns fan so every year since 1999 up til this season has sucked pretty hard.

Chief Rum 11-19-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantle2600 (Post 2383557)
I'm a Cleveland fan...so...I'd say every damn year.

I should edit the thread title to add "(Non-Cleveland Fans, Of Course)". :cool:

booradley 11-19-2010 06:29 PM

Wake Forest, this year. Complete meltdown on the gridiron, and we likely won't win an ACC game in hoops, either. :(

EagleFan 11-19-2010 06:38 PM

The 90's...

DanGarion 11-19-2010 06:40 PM

Any season UCLA beats USC, Notre Dame beats, USC, the Niners are under .500, or the Dodgers aren't competing.

JS19 11-19-2010 06:49 PM

2006... This one was all Mets for me, but the Giants piss poor performance didn't help.

I'll never forget that 2006 NLCS. Don't get me wrong, it was a blast watching them that yr and it was a fun ride throughout the summer, but I already enjoyed that ride in 1999 and 2000. Still can't understand how they didn't feed off the momentum of that Endy Chavez catch.

Giants were a tease. Expected big things from them, started the season 6-2, finished 2-6, losing by 3 to the Eagles in the playoffs.

JediKooter 11-19-2010 06:50 PM

I'm a San Diego professional sports team fan and other than the one AFL championship the Chargers have, well, not a whole lot of achievements going on with the teams in San Diego.

Big Fo 11-19-2010 06:52 PM

2006 wasn't great (if I use the 2005-6 NBA and soccer seasons to count for 2006).

The Atlanta Braves went 79-83 and missed the playoffs for the first time since 1990.

The Miami Dolphins went 6-10, Nick Saban quit and was eventually replaced by Cam Cameron.

The Orlando Magic had their third straight losing season, going 36-46.

Manchester United finished dead last in their Champions League group which had never happened before. And in the domestic league it was the third straight season where they didn't really give much challenge to the eventual winners. Long-time captain Roy Keane was cut midseason after he went on TV and ranted about how the other players weren't good enough and were too entitled (at that point in his career, he couldn't really get it done anymore either). And my favorite player, Ruud van Nistelrooy, was sold during the offseason after a series of disagreements between him and the manager. They did win the League Cup, which counts for something even though it's not nearly as important as the Premier League or Champions League.

And the USA was very disappointing in the World Cup, finishing last in their group.

cartman 11-19-2010 06:52 PM

This year's Longhorns and Cowboys rank up there on the suckitude list. At least the Rangers provided a great run. Plus I'm an Inter Milan fan, and they had a pretty good campaign in Serie A and the UEFA Champions League.

RainMaker 11-19-2010 07:01 PM

After the Jordan years there was some real bad runs in Chicago. The Bulls were wretched, the Blackhawks below average, the Bears sucked hard, and the Cubs were just a Sammy Sosa travelling circus.

Marc Vaughan 11-19-2010 07:15 PM

Probably around 1996 - Brighton and Hove Albion stayed in the Football League by the skin of our teeth which was great, but we lost our ground ... a situation which then caused us to remain homeless for over 15 years .... something which will change in the next year ...

Falmer Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:D

BillJasper 11-19-2010 07:19 PM

Being a Miami Dolphins fan... every year since about 1993/94.

Vince, Pt. II 11-19-2010 08:32 PM

Maple Leafs 11-19-2010 08:35 PM

Year? Year? As a Leaf fan, watching other fans talk about their worst sports year is like Aron Ralston listening to people complains about their worst ever paper cut.

Comey 11-19-2010 09:06 PM

As a Philly fan...every year save 2008. I can't say for certain that I'd rather see the Phils lose 100 every year than miss the playoffs by a game or two like they did every year until 2007, or see the Eagles go 4-12 than lose the NFC Championship game like they did so often early last decade...but there's certainly an internal debate.

Philly is still the losing-est city in the country, in terms of sports (and fat asses...sad but true).

JPhillips 11-19-2010 09:08 PM

I'm southern Ohio born, so for a decade it's been, Thank God for Coach Tressel.

molson 11-19-2010 09:13 PM

-The Red Sox lost 89 games, their worst team in the last 45 years. It was the first year of the Butch Hobson era.
-The Patriots ended the Dick McPherson era with a 2-14 record. I guess it hadn't been TOO long since their 1985 Super Bowl team, but as a kid, it felt like they had been terrible forever.
-Celtics: 91-92 was the last season or the original Celtics big three. If I remember right, they actually teased us by having the best record in the league at the all star break, but then injuries tore the team apart and they were bounced in the 2nd round of the playoffs. 92-93 was the last season for Reggie Lewis. After he died - 8 straight losing seasons.
-The Bruins were contenders but couldn't get over the hump. This was the last time I followed the NHL super closely.
-College sports in New England was completely irrelevant as we were post-Flutie and pre-UMass Basketball.

And the timing kind of sucked because I was 14 and probably as into sports as I ever would be. The more recent Boston team success has been awesome, but I definitely would have enjoyed it even more if it could have happened back then.

Karlifornia 11-19-2010 09:24 PM

I'm a San Francisco fan. Nothing good has happened for a good month or so.

jbergey22 11-20-2010 02:25 AM

The Vikings lose as 14 point favorites in the NFC Championship game. The Gophers get put on probation for cheating. The Twins finished in last place.

Poli 11-20-2010 08:19 AM

When was Fulmer's last year? That one.

CU Tiger 11-20-2010 09:16 AM

%This one ranks way up there.
Clemson has had a disappointing football season.
The basketball looks like it will suck as well.
Ad as a Cowboys and Panthers fan...meh.

RendeR 11-20-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2383621)

This x 100000000000000

Alan T 11-20-2010 11:10 AM

1985 - 1989

Falcons and Braves were either last or next to last every single season.

Only in 1990 when the Braves made the playoffs again and Georgia Tech won the national championship in football did things turn around

RedKingGold 11-20-2010 11:31 AM

I think we need a little more explanation to fully explore the question.

Which of these would be the worst:

(a) Team has been consistently bad for an extremely long stretch, has a glimmer of hope in a high draft pick, the team still sucks in the immediate but there is hope in the young guy...until he blows out his arm/leg/brain in the same season. (a la 2010 Washington Nationals).

(b) Team is expected to do amazing things and compete for a championship...but it turns out to be a mirage and the team has a terrible season (a la 2010 Dallas Cowboys).

(c) Team is expected to do great things and accomplishes many of those things, but loses in the championship game or somewhere close in heartbreaking fashion (a la 2010 Philadelphia Phillies)

(d) Team is expected to do great things and does so during the regular season, but then flames out spectacularly early in the playoffs (a la #1 seed in NHL Eastern Conference this past year...I forget the team).

(e) Team is NOT expected to do great things, ends up doing some great things, but still falls heartbreakingly short. (a la 2009-2010 Boston Celtics).

A lot of options, but which of these is "worst".

Mantle2600 11-20-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

They're my only hope.

jbergey22 11-20-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 2383748)

(a) Team has been consistently bad for an extremely long stretch, has a glimmer of hope in a high draft pick, the team still sucks in the immediate but there is hope in the young guy...until he blows out his arm/leg/brain in the same season. (a la 2010 Washington Nationals).

(b) Team is expected to do amazing things and compete for a championship...but it turns out to be a mirage and the team has a terrible season (a la 2010 Dallas Cowboys).

(c) Team is expected to do great things and accomplishes many of those things, but loses in the championship game or somewhere close in heartbreaking fashion (a la 2010 Philadelphia Phillies)

(d) Team is expected to do great things and does so during the regular season, but then flames out spectacularly early in the playoffs (a la #1 seed in NHL Eastern Conference this past year...I forget the team).

(e) Team is NOT expected to do great things, ends up doing some great things, but still falls heartbreakingly short. (a la 2009-2010 Boston Celtics).

I dont think I would be disappointed with E. I believe A would be sort of expected if your team was going through a stretch of losing years. C is what I dislike the most. Its like you put so much energy in that season and it all comes crashing down in an instance.

With that said C is pretty much a Vikings trademark I am likely bias in that aspect. They've lost 4 Super Bowls and I believe their new trend is losing NFC Championship games.

Terps 11-20-2010 08:47 PM

Probably 1996 and 1997, the last two times the Orioles had a shot to win it all. '96 was rough against the Yankees and Jeffrey Maier, '97 went wire to wire in the AL East and lost to Cleveland in the ALCS.

Of course, also every year after that, because they haven't had a winning season since.

spleen1015 11-22-2010 08:29 AM

1993, the year Peter Angelos bought the Baltimore Orioles.

chesapeake 11-22-2010 09:46 AM

The Seattle Mariners lose 101 games to finish last in the AL West for the 4th time in 5 years. John McLaren is fired in May and replaced by Jim Riggleman, who is let go at the end of the season.

The Seattle Seahawks have their string of 4 NFC West Championships broken by falling to a pathetic 4-12 as the door hits Mike Holmgren in the ass on his way out.

The UW Huskies become the first 0-12 football team in Pac-10 history, leading to Ty Willingham's firing.

All of which is small potatoes.

The 2007-2008 Seattle Supersonics are designed to fail by management. And they do, spectacularly, finishing with a franchise worst 20-62 record. After the season, the team leaves Seattle for Oklahoma City, a sorry conclusion to 41 years playing in the city.

That, my friends, is a very bad sports year.

digamma 11-22-2010 11:51 AM

Would have to be 1994. I lost in the area wrestling finals with my worst match of the year. Ga Tech got snubbed from an NCAA tourney invite in hoops. The Ga Tech football team went 1-10. And Harvard lost to Yale.

Plus, there was that strike thing.

Marmel 11-22-2010 02:22 PM

Good topic Chief.

I have been extremely lucky with the teams I follow: New York Yankees, New York Giants, Syracuse basketball & football (well lucky in football prior to 2000). Even if one or two teams are down, the basketball and baseball teams are always great.

Until 2008.

The Yankees finished 3rd and missed the playoffs for the first time since the early 90s.
The Giants are defending Superbowl Champs, Plex shoots himself, the wheels fall off and they lose their first playoff game, at home, to Philly.
Syracuse basketball finishes 21-14 and goes to the NIT. NIT????
Syracuse football stuck in the decade long mire and finishes 3-9 (1-6)

Yankees rebounded with a World Title, basketball rebounded with a #1 seed in the tournament, Cuse football is back to a bowl and the Giants....well, they are good, but make fundamental mistakes every week costing them a couple of games already. But 2008 was as bad as it gets (which really, isn't all that horrible to be honest).

Suburban Rhythm 11-22-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 2383748)

The team dumb enough to employ Mike Green and Tyler Sloan, simultaneously the worst defenseman in the NHL.

Butter 11-22-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

I was thinking about it a lot this weekend, and I think that he is seriously making an argument for being the best Ohio State coach of all time. I know everybody loves Woody Hayes, but he is doing unprecedented things with Ohio State football. They are one win away from a record-tying 6th straight share of the Big Ten title, they have won 10 games in a row for 6 straight seasons, they are likely going to get another BCS invite which will put him in a BCS bowl for the 8th time.

Amazing times for Ohio State football.

RendeR 11-22-2010 03:28 PM

The only thing that truly matters is beating Mishitgan, and Tressell is what? 8-1, 9-1 against the little blue boys?

Butter 11-22-2010 03:35 PM

8-1.

RendeR 11-22-2010 03:36 PM

Till Saturday anyway, then I'm write on both counts ;)

molson 11-22-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2384676)
I was thinking about it a lot this weekend, and I think that he is seriously making an argument for being the best Ohio State coach of all time. I know everybody loves Woody Hayes, but he is doing unprecedented things with Ohio State football. They are one win away from a record-tying 6th straight share of the Big Ten title, they have won 10 games in a row for 6 straight seasons, they are likely going to get another BCS invite which will put him in a BCS bowl for the 8th time.

Amazing times for Ohio State football.

Modern coaches are very much underrated, and Tressell has to top that list.

When you look back at the season-by-season records of Hayes, Schembechler, etc., none of them would have lasted in today's environment. They just lost too many games.

Blackadar 11-22-2010 04:55 PM

Fall '86 to Spring '87

MLB - Bill Buckner. 'Nuff said.

NFL - My beloved Steelers post their worst record since 1970, going 6-10. For a team that had won 4 Super Bowls in the 10 years prior, this was a tough pill to swallow.

NBA - The Celtics lose to the Lakers in the NBA Championship. The fuckin' Lakers...

NHL - The Bruins barely make the playoffs and get swept (4-0) in the 1st Round to the hated Canadians.

Boxing - My favorite boxer, Marvin Hagler, loses a controversial split-decision to Ray "Run Like Hell" Leonard.

Cycling - My favorite cyclist (at the time), Greg LeMond, gets shot and can't defend his Tour de France title.

Golf - My 2nd favorite golfer, Greg Norman, loses the Masters when Mize hits an impossible chip in the hole.

canadiancreed 11-26-2010 11:56 PM

1994. The strikes nuked practically any interest I had in professional sports.

Honolulu Blue 11-29-2010 08:17 AM

Briefly:

1) 2008 - Tigers have a disappointing year, MSU men's basketball get oh so close to the title without achieving it, Lions have a bad year (I forgot their record).

2) 1989 - Tigers had their worst year in my lifetime (though they would have worse later on). Lions did their usual thing, but I was only starting to appreciate that little running back.

3) Pick a year from 2001-2005 - MSU football was running dry, as were the Tigers and Lions.

RedKingGold 11-29-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiancreed (Post 2386191)
1994. The strikes nuked practically any interest I had in professional sports.

Trick Answer: Canada does not have any professional sports.