Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Steam Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=83047)

mckerney 07-13-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2687939)
Yeah.

If I only had friends...LOL

None of my friends really play games on PC unfortunately. At least they like board games. :)

Fidatelo 07-13-2012 03:23 PM

I picked up SpaceChem yesterday for $2.50, ended up playing for about 4 straight hours. Fun little game.

mckerney 07-13-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2687951)
I picked up SpaceChem yesterday for $2.50, ended up playing for about 4 straight hours. Fun little game.

I love SpaceChem, easily my favorite puzzle game. The open ended puzzles with no one solution lead to a great feeling when you come up with a way to solve a difficult puzzle. Especially since I start most of them by staring at the screen for 5 minutes feeling like an idiot.

Honolulu_Blue 07-13-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2687674)
I picked the Manderly's of White Harbour and ALSO married Margaery to my son, while I picked up one of the Sand Snakes. Early on especially it's hard to ignore all the 'name' character in the game.

I did enjoy seeing Tyrion as head of the Lannister's quite early in my game too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2687663)
I think it needs a lot more events. Once everything becomes a single kingdom there isn't much to do. I liked playing in the world, but I didn't have much to do other than marry children off every few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2687940)
I only played for about twenty years. There were a couple of small splits, but the combined might of the Iron Throne easily put them down. I felt like I had nothing to do other than watch the dates tick by. For me the vanilla CK2 was far more interesting.

Yeah, this was my impression as well.

Not enough events or intrigues.

I played a vanilla game of CK2 as a Croatian Duke and there was a ton more stuff going on.

There were a few rebellions and wars in my GoT game, but they were also crushed very quickly and with overwhelming force.

I also wasn't sure why Margery Tyrell would be willing to marry a son of Yohn Royce (or a Manderley for that matter). I also had Tywin Lannister ask to marry one of my daughters and married another daughter to the heir to the Iron Throne. I think she died before her husband claimed it.

I totally love the setting. Just not enough going on and some odd unions.

DaddyTorgo 07-13-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2687960)
Yeah, this was my impression as well.

Not enough events or intrigues.

I played a vanilla game of CK2 as a Croatian Duke and there was a ton more stuff going on.

There were a few rebellions and wars in my GoT game, but they were also crushed very quickly and with overwhelming force.

I also wasn't sure why Margery Tyrell would be willing to marry a son of Yohn Royce (or a Manderley for that matter). I also had Tywin Lannister ask to marry one of my daughters and married another daughter to the heir to the Iron Throne. I think she died before her husband claimed it.

I totally love the setting. Just not enough going on and some odd unions.

Odd unions is a Paradox AI thing.

We're working to add more stuff going on, without it being monotonous, but I'll push your impressions up the chain and keep agitating for more things. There's a team working on a War of the 5 Kings starting date, my impression is that that may have more some more stuff going on (which will then be incorporated down into the other starting dates obviously).

I also find the "little rebellions" kind of silly, but they do serve the function of raising/lowering the opinion of liege's by vassals, which ultimately results in bigger conflicts.

We've got tournaments in obviously (tbh sometimes I find them a bit repetitive). Any other thoughts on what sort of events you'd like to see?

I find that RP-ing my leader based on his personality can be helpful in terms of causing things to go on, and causing friction with vassals or lieges. So can giving myself goals outside of the ambition system like "I want to make the Dayne's the Princes of Dorne" and working towards a long-term goal like that.

britrock88 07-13-2012 04:01 PM

In Indie Bundle II, Botanicula and Splice have intrigued me before the sale, and Universe Sandbox seems to have some potential. Any first-hand experience with any of the games?

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-13-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britrock88 (Post 2687972)
In Indie Bundle II, Botanicula and Splice have intrigued me before the sale, and Universe Sandbox seems to have some potential. Any first-hand experience with any of the games?

Have played with Universe Sandbox. It's a lot of fun if you like to create scenarios. Makes you feel pretty small seeing those worlds/universes explode.

mckerney 07-13-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britrock88 (Post 2687972)

Botanicula review and demo

Quote:

There’s no question over whether you should play this. Your $10 will buy you a few hours of utter joy, and flipping heck, why wouldn’t you want that? It’s infectiously lovely, smartly inventive, and plastered happiness all over my face. And even my game-ignoring wife’s face, whom it was a pleasure to watch play. That’s a high compliment.

Splice has a demo on Steam that I played, it was an interesting puzzle game but nothing that really excited me that much.

Universe Sandbox isn't a game but just a sandbox solar system simulator that let's you make changes like adding objects or modifying location, mass, velocity and whatnot and see what would happen. You can load different solar systems or create your own from scratch if you want to do that sort of thing. Probably interesting for people who really love astronomy and astrophysics. If you're not you'll probably think it's kind of cool while you play around with it for 10 to 15 minutes before you exit out never to load it up again.

frnk55 07-13-2012 06:13 PM

Nice! Max Payne 50% off. Going to pick up The Binding of Isaac also. Maybe Payday the heist too. Going to be a couch potato this weekend as temps will be around 100.

Hey guys is Rage worth 17.99? I've always been tempted.

Grover 07-13-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frnk55 (Post 2688031)

No. It's absolutely awful. You're better off playing Doom 3.

Big Fo 07-13-2012 06:31 PM

Yesterday I got Sword of Islam and some of the other DLC for Crusader Kings II.

Today I am tempted by From Dust and Anno 2070, but might wind up getting neither or waiting for the last day of the sale since I have plenty of games to keep myself occupied for now.

frnk55 07-13-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grover (Post 2688036)
No. It's absolutely awful. You're better off playing Doom 3.

That's a good thing since I have Doom 3 but never did play it much. Thx.

Qrusher14242 07-13-2012 06:43 PM

I just picked up:

Crusader Kings II + Sword of Islam
Binding of Isaac DLC Wrath of Lamb
Hard Reset Extened Edition
Portal 2

Can't wait to play the GOT mod of CKII, Heard Hard Reset was good and for $3 hard to pass up. Not much else in the sale i want...these flash deals seem cool though

Max Payne 1 & 2 for $3.74...may pick that up today

PilotMan 07-13-2012 08:22 PM

I know it's time to upgrade my laptop when I really can't shop games anymore because time has passed it by. That, and I have scolded myself repeatedly for owning more than I can play. That, and I'm broke.

Mota 07-13-2012 08:25 PM

My main goals are:
Anno 2070 (was hoping for more than 50% discount so am sitting out until a later sale)
Witcher 2 (hoping that will be a focus SKU sometime)

So far I have bought:
Warlock
Terrania
Legend of Grimrock

FrogMan 07-13-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mota (Post 2688068)
My main goals are:
Anno 2070 (was hoping for more than 50% discount so am sitting out until a later sale)

I don't know but I doubt you'll get a better deal. Once a game shows up as a daily deal, I thought they rarely went below that one deal price...

FM

mckerney 07-13-2012 10:38 PM

Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare for $10, was hoping for a deal like that.

mckerney 07-13-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frnk55 (Post 2688031)

I like Rage, but it wasn't really anything special as far as first person shooters go. It'd also been available cheaper than that before, so if you're willing to wait for either later in this sale or for another deal to pop up after the summer sale you could probably find it for a bit less.

A couple good deals on shooters that activate on Steam are The Darkness 2 for $12.49 and Spec Ops: The Line for $24.99.

Spec Ops: The Line is a modern military shooter which when I first heard about it kind of wrote off as just another man shooter. As far as gameplay is concerned it's a third person shooter with poor cover mechanics, but the story is exceptional and makes it one of the best games to come out this year. If it's something you want to play anytime soon you probably won't find a better price than $24.99 being it came out three weeks ago.

FrogMan 07-14-2012 06:01 AM

wooooo, FM2012 for $7.49 in the flash sale section. Yeah, you probably all have it already but I don't. Now I will :)

FM

cody8200 07-14-2012 07:36 AM

From Dust looked interesting enough. I picked it up for under 4 bucks.

CleBrownsfan 07-14-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 2688121)
Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare for $10, was hoping for a deal like that.

I've been wanting to try this out. My first Summer Sale goes to Alan Wake ;)

mckerney 07-14-2012 11:53 AM

Another Amazon deal that activates on Steam, Sniper Elite V2 for $14.99.

mckerney 07-14-2012 12:05 PM

Two copies of Frozen Synapse Complete for $3.49 is a steal.

Save 90% on Frozen Synapse: Complete Pack on Steam

Honolulu_Blue 07-14-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2687966)
Odd unions is a Paradox AI thing.

We're working to add more stuff going on, without it being monotonous, but I'll push your impressions up the chain and keep agitating for more things. There's a team working on a War of the 5 Kings starting date, my impression is that that may have more some more stuff going on (which will then be incorporated down into the other starting dates obviously).

I also find the "little rebellions" kind of silly, but they do serve the function of raising/lowering the opinion of liege's by vassals, which ultimately results in bigger conflicts.

We've got tournaments in obviously (tbh sometimes I find them a bit repetitive). Any other thoughts on what sort of events you'd like to see?

I find that RP-ing my leader based on his personality can be helpful in terms of causing things to go on, and causing friction with vassals or lieges. So can giving myself goals outside of the ambition system like "I want to make the Dayne's the Princes of Dorne" and working towards a long-term goal like that.

I like the tourneys. As for other events, I would have to think about that.

Also, I noticed that the inheritence law for the Royce's (and many others I presume) was gavelkind, where, I am pretty sure, for most noble families in Westeros (save Dorne) it's straight up primogeniture.

For example, Yohn Royce has three sons. Andar, the eldest is set to inherit Runestone. Robar, the second eldest, joins up with Renly to make a name for himself and Waymar, the youngest, joins the Night's Watch.

mckerney 07-14-2012 12:12 PM

Skyrim is finally on sale too for $29.79, and I've professed my love for Orcs Must Die! here several times in the past.

jeff061 07-14-2012 12:20 PM

Dead Island down, Amalur to go.

CleBrownsfan 07-14-2012 12:26 PM

Did you get the DLC for Dead Island or just the base game? I'm in the same boat -looking for Amalur to get on sale too.

jeff061 07-14-2012 12:31 PM

I got DLC. Though I didn't really put much thought into it.

WVUFAN 07-14-2012 12:40 PM

Has anyone bought X-Com Apocalypse from Steam? I did, and cannot seem to get it to work correctly.

bhlloy 07-14-2012 01:06 PM

Yeah, it needs DosBox which I already had installed and configured on my system. I don't remember if it reinstalled it or if used the installation already there, although that would be weird if it didn't.

MizzouRah 07-14-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 2688244)
Another Amazon deal that activates on Steam, Sniper Elite V2 for $14.99.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game on the x360.

dubb93 07-14-2012 02:06 PM

I see alot of interest in Amalur. Not to thread-jack here but it goes on sale at Best Buy tomorrow for $10 if you subscribe to their gamer magazine. Or the magazine is supposed to be $5 in store. The coupon is in the magazine.

Back on topic. I'm in for one copy of Dead Island.

EagleFan 07-14-2012 02:21 PM

Some really nice deals today.

mckerney 07-14-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 2688266)
Yeah, it needs DosBox which I already had installed and configured on my system. I don't remember if it reinstalled it or if used the installation already there, although that would be weird if it didn't.

I think it should launch with a DOSBox wrapper if you load it through Steam, though I'm not at home to check at the moment.

mckerney 07-14-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 2688245)
Two copies of Frozen Synapse Complete for $3.49 is a steal.

Save 90% on Frozen Synapse: Complete Pack on Steam

Looks like it was a pricing error and it's $6.99 now, but still a great deal.

SirFozzie 07-14-2012 02:34 PM

did anyone want to go in for a four pack on dead island?

mckerney 07-14-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 2688309)

Can't go in on a bundle but would be up for some FOFC multiplayer.

Scoobz0202 07-14-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 2688309)

Id probably be down if two other people jumped on

frnk55 07-14-2012 06:48 PM

I think Steam is getting hammered. I'm getting terrible download speeds. Brings back memories of dial up. Bah..

WVUFAN 07-14-2012 06:50 PM

I have Crusader Kings II for trade on Steam if someone wants it

PilotMan 07-14-2012 06:58 PM

Has anyone posted a video I can comment on?

DaddyTorgo 07-14-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2688247)
I like the tourneys. As for other events, I would have to think about that.

Also, I noticed that the inheritence law for the Royce's (and many others I presume) was gavelkind, where, I am pretty sure, for most noble families in Westeros (save Dorne) it's straight up primogeniture.

For example, Yohn Royce has three sons. Andar, the eldest is set to inherit Runestone. Robar, the second eldest, joins up with Renly to make a name for himself and Waymar, the youngest, joins the Night's Watch.

Yeah - that should all have been changed back to primogeniture, I think as of the 2.0 release. Not sure why it was changed to gavelkind...that's weird.

mckerney 07-14-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frnk55 (Post 2688383)
I think Steam is getting hammered. I'm getting terrible download speeds. Brings back memories of dial up. Bah..

Try changing your download region under Settings => Downloads + Cloud and then restarting Steam.

Marc Vaughan 07-14-2012 07:25 PM

BTW I believe FM is on sale at the moment on Steam (40% off?) - I believe it was 75% off for a short period at one point today, no idea if it'll be repeated ... sorry for the late notice, I only found out unofficially after the event.

FrogMan 07-14-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 2688412)
BTW I believe FM is on sale at the moment on Steam (40% off?) - I believe it was 75% off for a short period at one point today, no idea if it'll be repeated ... sorry for the late notice, I only found out unofficially after the event.

Yeah, Marc, see this from yesterday ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 2688165)
wooooo, FM2012 for $7.49 in the flash sale section. Yeah, you probably all have it already but I don't. Now I will :)

FM

it was 75% off at the time. No clue if the flash sales will repeat over the sale but I'm back with a copy of FM on my computer. Or I will when I get my new laptop this week :)

FM

FrogMan 07-14-2012 08:13 PM

well, biggest spending in a while on games...
I'd had my eyes on Skyrim so got that at 50%.
I'd also never played The Witcher and for $2.49, it's hard to pass up. I'll probably send a copy to my son too.
My son wanted to get Left4Dead2 and I was also interested so I'm getting a four pack of that one for $14.99. He said his best friend is sure to want to play that with him online, we'll see what we do with the fourth copy.
Finally, Tropico has always intrigued me so Tropico 4 for $7.49 seemed like a good deal.

Sigh, but yay still :)

FM

jeff061 07-14-2012 08:50 PM

Bought Heroes of Might and Magic 6 based on the nostalgia of playing 1+2 a long time back. Very happy to see 4 versions later it seems to have held true to form. Fun game.

Radii 07-14-2012 09:09 PM

Anyone here ever played Fray? $20 Indy game that came out in June on sale for $9. Its listed as "Action Strategy" but not quite sure WTF it is.

FrogMan 07-14-2012 10:29 PM

well, add Civ 5 (no DLC) for $7.49 to that list of mine.

FM

Qrusher14242 07-15-2012 04:01 AM

got the Left 4 Dead bundle, Star Wars Knights of the old Republic and Toy Soldiers.