Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Baseball Text-Based Sims (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Alright Boyz, Here We Go!!!! (OOTP 2007 release thoughts!!!) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=57736)

DanGarion 03-22-2007 08:41 AM

Alright Boyz, Here We Go!!!! (OOTP 2007 release thoughts!!!)

All I saw was the preview one, so I guess we need an actual release post now... right?

I'm installing the game right now...

_____________________________________________________________________________________
SKYDOG EDIT/ADDENDUM: Game is now released to the public.

OOTP Baseball 2007

More mirror sites wanted!

PC Setup files
PC Try and Buy Demo
Mac Try and Buy Demo

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 09:15 AM

I'm running a league real quick just to see how it works and to mess around with junk before I even dive into starting my first league.

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 09:27 AM

So far, it's overwhelming in the sense that last year's was. But..it runs super fast and looks infinitely more polished in terms of what you can do/how you do it.

I'm pretty excited.

Facegen is awesome, too.

Shkspr 03-22-2007 09:48 AM

So is it safe to assume that the early download is only for the preorders that missed the discount offer? I keep hitting the download link on the preorder confirmation email I got last month and it just says 'thanks'.

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shkspr (Post 1424457)
So is it safe to assume that the early download is only for the preorders that missed the discount offer? I keep hitting the download link on the preorder confirmation email I got last month and it just says 'thanks'.

If you preordered before Wednesday, you should've received an email from Marc Duffy this morning with a link to the download for the game. If you ordered today, then it'll be released tomorrow.

Shkspr 03-22-2007 10:17 AM

*shrug* The only email I got was the one from back in February. Ah, well.

SirFozzie 03-22-2007 10:18 AM

haven't received mine yet :(

Marc Duffy 03-22-2007 10:20 AM

PM me with your email (and an alternative) and I'll try to cover all bases.

Ksyrup 03-22-2007 10:22 AM

I have mine, but can't do anything with it because I'm at work. And some of you are waiting for yours with little or nothing else to do.

THIS SUCKS.

Drafting a letter about Maryland's insurable interest law is even less exciting right now than it otherwise is.

SirFozzie 03-22-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Duffy (Post 1424490)
PM me with your email (and an alternative) and I'll try to cover all bases.

Done.

SirFozzie 03-22-2007 10:28 AM

Got the link Marc, thanks :)

MizzouRah 03-22-2007 10:43 AM

Have me email, but I'm in Chi town for the next two days. :(

Ksyrup 03-22-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1424507)
Have me email, but I'm in Chi town for the next two days. :(

Did you mean to post this in the Pirates! thread? ;)

MizzouRah 03-22-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1424509)
Did you mean to post this in the Pirates! thread? ;)

No, in the "I'm in Chicago and bored" thread. :D

T minus 7 hours before I get a nice fat steak. :p

JPhillips 03-22-2007 10:54 AM

Can somebody tell me where the world_template file lives? It doesn't appear to b in either the OOTP2007 file in programs nor the data files under My Documents. I can install of of Icy's great work except the world template.

Icy 03-22-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1424520)
Can somebody tell me where the world_template file lives? It doesn't appear to b in either the OOTP2007 file in programs nor the data files under My Documents. I can install of of Icy's great work except the world template.

Here (changing C for your drive letter and your user for your windows user name). If you don't have the folder there, just create it.

C:\Documents and Settings\your user\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\world_templates

JPhillips 03-22-2007 11:05 AM

Thanks. It wasn't there and I didn't know if I had missed it. I created the folder and it worked fine.

King of New York 03-22-2007 11:35 AM

Okay, I've been messing around with the game for an hour and a half--here are some first impressions:

wow, there's a lot of stuff here! I've spent nearly all of my time exploring various game set-up options, because there are many, many different ways to configure the game to your liking.

The interface works well enough--I got stuck in one apparent dead-end under "advanced options," but I'm sure that was the result of my own stupidity more than anything else.

The game installs its files in two different places: some of it is under "programs," and some of it is under "my documents." It's not a problem, just something I'll have to get used to--in time, I'm sure locating folders will be second nature. (Edit: I guess SI games always do that, but I'd never noticed with FM or EHM because I never used mods, alternate databaes, or facepaks for them).

The game is running smoothly so far, and files are loading quickly.

The 500-page manual looks intimidating at first, but so far I've found it easy to use--the table of contents is great and really helps you to get where you need to go. A lot of that bulk is the result of the very generous use of screenshots in the manual, which I approve of.

Okay, I'm going in again.

molson 03-22-2007 11:56 AM

Anyone manage a game yet? How long does it take?

Markus Heinsohn 03-22-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of New York (Post 1424556)
Okay, I've been messing around with the game for an hour and a half--here are some first impressions:

wow, there's a lot of stuff here! I've spent nearly all of my time exploring various game set-up options, because there are many, many different ways to configure the game to your liking.

The interface works well enough--I got stuck in one apparent dead-end under "advanced options," but I'm sure that was the result of my own stupidity more than anything else.

The game installs its files in two different places: some of it is under "programs," and some of it is under "my documents." It's not a problem, just something I'll have to get used to--in time, I'm sure locating folders will be second nature. (Edit: I guess SI games always do that, but I'd never noticed with FM or EHM because I never used mods, alternate databaes, or facepaks for them).

The game is running smoothly so far, and files are loading quickly.

The 500-page manual looks intimidating at first, but so far I've found it easy to use--the table of contents is great and really helps you to get where you need to go. A lot of that bulk is the result of the very generous use of screenshots in the manual, which I approve of.

Okay, I'm going in again.

You can hit "F1" anywhere in the game, which basically gives you the same help as the manual :D

Ksyrup 03-22-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1424570)

So far, I have managed one game as the 2007 St. Louis Cardinals, but I fell asleep in my car and woke up in jail, so I'm not sure if the game is still going or not.

Cork 03-22-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1424570)

I played out many games during the beta testing and I would say the ave game time was around 15-20 minutes. I used the 1-pitch mode and took my time since I always like to look at the player stats while managing the games.

-Cork

lighthousekeeper 03-22-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1424575)
So far, I have managed one game as the 2007 St. Louis Cardinals, but I fell asleep in my car and woke up in jail, so I'm not sure if the game is still going or not.

roffle

Ksyrup 03-22-2007 12:13 PM

LaRussa went to the same law school I did, so I can make fun of him, since he pretends he's some scholarly baseball mind, but in reality he's just a product of Florida State's law school.

SirFozzie 03-22-2007 12:34 PM

I started a 100 year sim on the game before I headed to work. We'll see if it finishes in the 9 hours or so :)

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 01:50 PM

My first real league is going to be a Wyoming high school league. Since there isn't high school baseball here, it'll serve as the defacto state championship.

MizzouRah 03-22-2007 02:10 PM

Man, I'm going to have to think about what I want to do. Fictional sounds fun, simming about 10 years for history, a historical start sounds fun... current day 2007 Cardinals career sounds fun too. Ahhhh... at least I have a few days to think it over.

Balldog 03-22-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1424659)
My first real league is going to be a Wyoming high school league. Since there isn't high school baseball here, it'll serve as the defacto state championship.

You can do that!?!? :eek:

I haven't paid enough attention.

Ksyrup 03-22-2007 02:54 PM

I may put the kids to bed at 6pm so I can get some "alone time" with the game. The wife's going to be an issue, though...

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balldog (Post 1424749)
You can do that!?!? :eek:

I haven't paid enough attention.

Yup. You create a high school feeder league just like you'd create a minor league. You can create several of them, too. Or college feeder leagues.

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1424753)
I may put the kids to bed at 6pm so I can get some "alone time" with the game. The wife's going to be an issue, though...

lol

cubboyroy1826 03-22-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Sleeping pills.

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1424759)
Yup. You create a high school feeder league just like you'd create a minor league. You can create several of them, too. Or college feeder leagues.

Or actually, you just create a high school league like you'd create a normal fictional league.

Atocep 03-22-2007 03:20 PM

Currently simming some history for my league. With Icy's mod it took 10 minutes to set up a league and have it automatically adjust stats and financials for the era you're and then recalculate both after each season.

The Manager screen also has just about everything you'll need hyperlinked on it so you don't spend much time searching through the UI to find what you're looking for.

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 03:27 PM

I couldn't figure out how to install Icy's mod yet. I need to do that when I get home.

TheOhioStateUniversity 03-22-2007 04:24 PM

How accurate is this game at recreating the current MLB environment? When an up to date roster file is made can I expect realistic results, trades, finances?

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1424779)
I couldn't figure out how to install Icy's mod yet. I need to do that when I get home.

Nevermind that, I got it.

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity (Post 1424817)
How accurate is this game at recreating the current MLB environment? When an up to date roster file is made can I expect realistic results, trades, finances?

My understanding is that it does a pretty good job. Not to perfection, but good nonetheless. The demo is probably worth checking out tomorrow.

Eaglesfan27 03-22-2007 06:56 PM

Thanks to some great mirrors, I just downloaded the entire setup file in a little under 2 minutes.

Well, actually I know there is one great mirror :)

Mustang 03-22-2007 07:10 PM

When it is available tomorrow? (I completely forgot about the preorder deal..) blah.. oh well.

Qrusher14242 03-22-2007 07:28 PM

What icy's mod? and where can i get it?

lynchjm24 03-22-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 (Post 1424904)
What icy's mod? and where can i get it?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=142293

DaddyTorgo 03-22-2007 09:07 PM

I didn't end up pre-ordering (had a long day) but am eagerly looking forward to the demo so that I can ensure that this will indeed be my baseball game this year (although without puresim, and seeing that BM08 seems to have gone backwards...at least according to some posts on that forum, it doesn't seem like I have much choice).

Fouts 03-22-2007 09:24 PM

Played my first game, went pretty well. The pbp is much improved over last year. I wrote a recap of the game after it was over, and I was surprised that the player names and teams were automatically hyperlinked (very cool).

Still takes me forever to start a league (mostly because I don't like the random team cities/names that are assigned to franchises).

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fouts (Post 1425007)
Played my first game, went pretty well. The pbp is much improved over last year. I wrote a recap of the game after it was over, and I was surprised that the player names and teams were automatically hyperlinked (very cool).

Still takes me forever to start a league (mostly because I don't like the random team cities/names that are assigned to franchises).

I've had the game all day and I still haven't begun playing for the same reasons mostly. Spending time investing trying to get things organized how I want to, etc.

I think I'm gonna quit that now and get started for a little bit, just to see how it all plays out.

JPhillips 03-22-2007 09:57 PM

This is light years ahead of last year's version. I actually had fun with the game! I ran into a couple of small problems so far.

1) I still think the AI values MRs too much in the draft preview. In two draft previews my scout has picked 11 and 13 MRs in the top 20 of the draft. When it comes down to the draft he doesn't recommend an MR until round 5.

2) When I tried to click on abbreviations in the F1 help I got an error and a blank page. I don't exactly remember the path, but it started on the player card. (btw- the F1 help is generally great.)

Buccaneer 03-22-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1425034)
I've had the game all day and I still haven't begun playing for the same reasons mostly. Spending time investing trying to get things organized how I want to, etc.

Being anal-retentive about my historical league and knowing how long it took me set one up in OOTP 5, I can envision that doing the same thing in OOTP 2007 will take me until the summer to get going. :rolleyes:

Buccaneer 03-22-2007 10:30 PM

In reading through the manual, there's an old question I've been meaning to ask. What is the concept behind a 2-8/20-80 ratings scale?

Young Drachma 03-22-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1425075)
In reading through the manual, there's an old question I've been meaning to ask. What is the concept behind a 2-8/20-80 ratings scale?

I think it mirrors the scale real life scouts use in baseball.

Buccaneer 03-22-2007 10:53 PM

Sorry for the dumb questions. I saw this in the manual:

Quote:

Note: If you are importing historical players, you might want to schedule your first-year player draft between October and November. Otherwise our rookies might make their major league debuts a year earlier than you expected.

If you do this, does that mean that the rookies will be added to the current season before you hit the 'proceeed to next season' button (assuming there is one)? If so, wouldn't that mess up the almanac or league history if you have a been players with no stats for the season?