Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Dynasty Reports (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Right on Hereford, Left on Boylston (A Boston Marathon Training Log) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=93586)

digamma 01-23-2018 04:11 PM

Right on Hereford, Left on Boylston (A Boston Marathon Training Log)

Maybe I'll write a little more later on the background here, but at least a few of us on the board have qualified and are running (or are planning to run) the Boston Marathon in April.

I started my final training plan this morning, and as a way to hold myself to it, I thought I'd keep something of a log here.

I'm using a Greg McMillan Training Plan, very similar to what I used when I ran my qualifying marathon last September. It's a 12 week plan with 5 runs a week. I also supplement this with a day of strength/speed training at a gym called Fly Feet Running. I'll taper off of that program as we get closer to race day.

Also I live in Minnesota and it's not lost on me that I'll be starting my training in January. Many of my miles (probably a majority or substantial majority) will be treadmiles.

Day 1
Plan: 40-50 minute easy run

Something like 70% of my miles will be easy miles. I have to hold myself to that. The others will be fairly high intensity miles.

I ran two 5-k'ish routes on my tread, with speed set at either 7.7 or 7.8, which converts into a 7:45ish pace, which is a very comfortable run for me right now. First route was a London map route, fairly flat with some quick climbs at the end. Then in the spirit of Boston, my second route was the BAA 5-K route which runs through a good bit of the Back Bay and crosses over the marathon finish line.

As intended the run was easy.

Miles: 6.25
Time: 48:32

Young Drachma 01-23-2018 05:12 PM

Go get 'em.

digamma 01-24-2018 10:13 AM

Day 2
Plan:
45+ minute easy run

I plugged in a random Runner's World 10-K course into my treadmill. It ended up being in Bethlehem, PA. Rolling hills, but nothing too severe. Set the speed for 7.8 and let it rip.

Miles: 6.3
Time: 48:38

digamma 01-25-2018 11:12 AM

Day 3
Plan
: 45-50 minute Fartlek Run. After a warm up, add in 10-12 pick-ups or fartleks at either 5K or 10K pace.

I programmed my treadmill for a 15 minute warm up at 8 mph and then 12 1 minute segments at 9.5 mph (6:18/mile) and 12 1 minute recovery segments at 7 mph. The one minute pick me ups were not intended to be all out, but by the end should have been a challenge. This is a good workout and begins the build to the holy grail of speed workouts, the Yasso 800, which essentially triples this work at a slightly faster pace.

Miles: 6.04
Time: 45 minutes

digamma 01-28-2018 03:42 PM

Day 4:

Plan:
Rest.

I walked during the Harvard basketball game but other than that did not run as planned.

digamma 01-28-2018 03:48 PM

Day 5:

Plan:
Rest or Cross Train

I don't love the plan I'm on because I think Saturday should be a hard run day followed by a long easy run on Sunday. I will likely try to modify to suit my own feel.

I went to FlyFeet, as I mentioned in the intro post. The workout was one of their milestone workouts.

After warm-up (about a .75 mile run and some floor exercises of push ups, squats, burpees and thrusters) we did the main workout which consisted of six total rounds of work. Each round was a 2 minute treadmill run and 2 minute max rep floor exercise, with a minute rest after each. It broke down like this:

2 min max distance tread, 1 min rest
2 min max kettle bell swing, 1 min rest

2 min max burpee, 1 min rest

2 min max rep push up, 1 min rest

2 min max rep butterfly sit up, 1 min rest

2 min max rep thruster (squat to overhead press), 1 min rest

2 min max rep loaded lunge, 1 min rest

I freaking hate lunges. Worst exercise ever to end on. Overall, though a great workout. I ran on the tread at 10.5 speed, which equates to a 5:42 mile.

digamma 01-28-2018 03:52 PM

Day 6:

Plan: Long run of 12-14 miles or 1:30 to 1:45

I set my treadmill (we have had a lot of melt and refreeze in MSP and the sidewalks are a hazard right now) for a Maine half marathon that seemed to have decent terrain variability. I was also watching the Harvard basketball game from last night on demand. Easy running with the speed between 7.5 and 7.7. The software crapped out on me at 1:22 and change of my run, somewhere after 10 miles, so I loaded a 5-k course to run an additional three miles. Total mileage ended up being about 13.7 in about 1:47.

Miles: 13.7
Time: (estimated) 1:47