Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Official 2021-2022 College Basketball thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97980)

spleen1015 11-09-2021 12:05 PM

Official 2021-2022 College Basketball thread

Didn't see this when I did a search.

Season kicks off tonight with a few decent games worth watching.

Coach K's final year! Duke wins it all! :D :D

Kodos 11-09-2021 12:16 PM

Interested to see how Indiana does under a new regime. I think the Hoosiers will definitely play a more enjoyable style of basketball under Coach Woodson.

miami_fan 11-09-2021 02:29 PM

I am really looking forward to this season. Not for any particular team or player, I just miss the game of college basketball.

rjolley 11-09-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3350025)
I am really looking forward to this season. Not for any particular team or player, I just miss the game of college basketball.

Same. I enjoy college football, but I can watch college basketball every day of the season. Brings back great memories.

Ksyrup 11-09-2021 03:55 PM

I'm interested to see if Coach Cal can turn it around or this is the season where he finally exits. UK should he good (again) but was losing for most of the 1st half against Miles College in its final exhibition.

Curious how FSU is able to pull together an almost entirely new team of high ranked signees and transfers. Really wish Balsa had not gone pro yet.

Kodos 11-09-2021 05:39 PM

We’re hitting some threes. That’s a change.

tarcone 11-09-2021 05:44 PM

Iowa is on tonight at 9. Im staying up and watching. Curious to see who starts and what the rotation looks like.
Losing Garza and Weiskamp is big. But we do have some pretty good young guys. i

sterlingice 11-09-2021 06:42 PM

I have decent expectations for Kansas this year. I don't think we have any elite top-20-in-college-hoops talent but it seems like we have a ton of guys in the 20-200 range. Let's see how that shakes out.

SI

tarcone 11-09-2021 06:48 PM

Watching Iowa's women right now. They have 2 players on all 3 POY watch list. They are ranked 9

sovereignstar v2 11-09-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3350045)
Watching Iowa's women right now. They have 2 players on all 3 POY watch list. They are ranked 9

that's exciting

tarcone 11-09-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3350046)
that's exciting

It is. I should have mentioned that they are both Sophomores.

Kodos 11-09-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3350039)
We’re hitting some threes. That’s a change.

Not an impressive second half as we let Eastern Michigan get back into it and make it scary at the end. But at least we won, I s'pose. Three point average dropped back to our normal range (sad).

spleen1015 11-09-2021 07:32 PM

I have watched parts of 2 games tonight and have seen 4 flop warnings. Looks like this is going to be the big emphasis this year....

miami_fan 11-09-2021 07:48 PM

I don't want to be that guy already and I know it won't stop but. Can we please discuss how the players play and will play in college ball and not what their projection will be in the pro game? If we can't stop completely, can we at least wait until near the end of conference play? Geez.

miami_fan 11-09-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3350054)
I have watched parts of 2 games tonight and have seen 4 flop warnings. Looks like this is going to be the big emphasis this year....

If I am a ref, it would be bad enough if a pro like James Harden fools me into buying a flop, but a college kid? Nah!

sterlingice 11-09-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3350054)

At least for the first month. Then it goes back to fouls getting called on flops.

SI

miami_fan 11-09-2021 08:20 PM

Unpopular opinion alert.

I am not ready to not hear Dickie V broadcasting college basketball.

I don't want him to be a part of the #1 announcing crew for college basketball. I want him to have a role like Bill Walton. Put him on a ACC game one night of the week and the game before the GameDay game on Saturday. That would be great for me.

tarcone 11-09-2021 08:28 PM

I like Dickie V.

Brian Swartz 11-09-2021 09:33 PM

I sympathize with both sides of the Dickie V debate.

Should be an exciting year. I did not expect Michigan to have Dickinson back, really surprised that he got the 'yeah, you're not ready yet' treatment from the pros. Shows once again how little I know about what players will be able to make the jump to the NBA. I still think Michigan is overrated though. I'll be surprised, as young as they are and as good as Howard appears to be as a coach, if they repeat as Big Ten champs. With all the 'super seniors' there's going to be more stacked teams than usual.

Lathum 11-09-2021 09:59 PM

Can't stand him as a broadcaster, but by all accounts he is a great human and I don't want to see him go out like this

tarcone 11-09-2021 10:24 PM

This Iowa offense looks legit to me and we start 3 really long 6' 9" dudes, which I hope makes our defense better

Lathum 11-09-2021 10:29 PM

KY looks like crap but I feel like they always do then gel around the conference tournament.

My Huskies also look like hell. Firing Romar was a mistake. Hopkins isn't the guy for the job.

jbergey22 11-10-2021 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3350089)
KY looks like crap but I feel like they always do then gel around the conference tournament.

My Huskies also look like hell. Firing Romar was a mistake. Hopkins isn't the guy for the job.

An outright loss as a 19.5 point favorite isnt a great start to year 5 of the Hopkins era.

cartman 11-10-2021 08:05 AM

This might be the first fall Saturday in recorded history where the Longhorns basketball team gets more interest in their game than the football team.

Swaggs 11-10-2021 08:11 AM

I'll be keeping an eye on Washington this season, as they picked up a transfer from WVU in Emmitt Matthews. He was sort of a surprise transfer, as he endured one of our worst years and has been a starter on the past two teams that were pretty good (actually, he was a three year starter). Huggins seemed to like him and he was getting a lot of playing time. The word that I heard when he left is that he thought he should be 'featured' more offensively.

He's a guy that will break your heart because he's really athletic and hustles, but seems to have a knack for messing up at inopportune times and completely disappearing at others. For example, in our NCAA game last year (got upset as a 3-seed by #11 Syracuse by 3 points) and some of the Big 12 tournament games, there were multiple times when he would work his ass off getting offensive rebounds and then miss uncontested put backs. He was highly regarded out of high school and sort of fell in our lap. He had been committed to UConn but signed with us after Kevin Ollie got fired.

Anyway, that was more info than I intended, but he was easy to root for because he stuck it out during one of our worst seasons in memory and was sort of poised to be a leader now that we are pretty good again and then transferred out. Hopefully, he can put he package all together and have a good season for the Huskies.

jbergey22 11-10-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 3350097)
This might be the first fall Saturday in recorded history where the Longhorns basketball team gets more interest in their game than the football team.

At first glance I saw all the players they lost, but then I saw all of the impact transfers they brought in. They are loaded with depth.

Marcus Carr is a gamechanger.

jbergey22 11-10-2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 3350098)
I'll be keeping an eye on Washington this season, as they picked up a transfer from WVU in Emmitt Matthews. He was sort of a surprise transfer, as he endured one of our worst years and has been a starter on the past two teams that were pretty good (actually, he was a three year starter). Huggins seemed to like him and he was getting a lot of playing time. The word that I heard when he left is that he thought he should be 'featured' more offensively.

He's a guy that will break your heart because he's really athletic and hustles, but seems to have a knack for messing up at inopportune times and completely disappearing at others. For example, in our NCAA game last year (got upset as a 3-seed by #11 Syracuse by 3 points) and some of the Big 12 tournament games, there were multiple times when he would work his ass off getting offensive rebounds and then miss uncontested put backs. He was highly regarded out of high school and sort of fell in our lap. He had been committed to UConn but signed with us after Kevin Ollie got fired.

Anyway, that was more info than I intended, but he was easy to root for because he stuck it out during one of our worst seasons in memory and was sort of poised to be a leader now that we are pretty good again and then transferred out. Hopefully, he can put he package all together and have a good season for the Huskies.

If first indications are a good indicator, he was awful last night.

molson 11-10-2021 09:55 AM

Syracuse and the Boeheim brothers will be fun if they can do anything this year. I kind of assumed that the older one who transferred in from Cornell for his senior season wouldn't be a big contributor, but at least in the the first of their traditional smaller northeast school pre-conference schedule, they both played 25+ minutes and scored 18 points.

miami_fan 11-10-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Obviously, you are closer to that situation that I am but I don't think it was a mistake to fire Romar. He was mid conference at best for the last five years he was there and no NCAAs in the last six. Once you go down the route of hiring the father of the arguably best player in the country, you have to produce conference titles and deep tournament runs. He did neither.

HomerSimpson98 11-10-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 3350097)

lolz texASS is teH sUcK!

Lathum 11-10-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3350106)
Obviously, you are closer to that situation that I am but I don't think it was a mistake to fire Romar. He was mid conference at best for the last five years he was there and no NCAAs in the last six. Once you go down the route of hiring the father of the arguably best player in the country, you have to produce conference titles and deep tournament runs. He did neither.

Romar was a great recruiter. He put tons of guys in the league. They should have kept him and hired someone as a game manager.

Swaggs 11-10-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3350100)
If first indications are a good indicator, he was awful last night.

I didn't watch the game, but saw his line. 2/12 from the field and 1/4 from 3-point range. Sounds like he was "featured" offensively and it didn't work out too well. He's one of those guys that could probably be a defensive stopper, get 8-10 points on putbacks/FTs/short jumpers and be a really efficient player, but sees himself as more.

Atocep 11-10-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 3350117)
I didn't watch the game, but saw his line. 2/12 from the field and 1/4 from 3-point range. Sounds like he was "featured" offensively and it didn't work out too well. He's one of those guys that could probably be a defensive stopper, get 8-10 points on putbacks/FTs/short jumpers and be a really efficient player, but sees himself as more.

He's a local kid, went to school 15 minutes from my house, so I always wanted to see him do well. However, he was constantly our worst defender during his time in Morgantown. He was poorly coached growing up because his defensive instincts and off the ball defense are horrendous and that's probably too kind. His on/off defensive numbers were shockingly bad and if you keyed on him during games he was consistently losing his man in transition, getting lost in screens, ect.

The athleticism is there and by all accounts is a great kid. He's one you want to see do well, but I wasn't sad to see him leave. He hurt us more than he helped us on the floor and Huggs/Harrison had a crush on him and continued to hand him minutes he hadn't earned.

MrBug708 11-10-2021 09:03 PM

UW men's basketball's only hope is Mike Hopkins punching a player

britrock88 11-11-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3350013)
Coach K's final year! Duke wins it all! :D :D

:mad: :mad:

Huuuuuubie!

Ksyrup 11-11-2021 12:00 PM

Watching FSU basketball almost makes up for what the FB team has become. Almost. Leonard Hamilton is some sort of savant at getting kids in 2021 to buy into the team concept and playing 40 minutes of unrelenting D.

Brian Swartz 11-11-2021 08:01 PM

Hamilton is my favorite basketball coach, probably favorite coach period. I could care less about FSU but root for their hoops team because of him. Really want to see him at a Final Four before he's done.

miami_fan 11-11-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3350199)
Hamilton is my favorite basketball coach, probably favorite coach period. I could care less about FSU but root for their hoops team because of him. Really want to see him at a Final Four before he's done.

Agreed with every word of this.

tarcone 11-11-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

How does CJ Frederick fit in?

tarcone 11-17-2021 06:11 AM

Heard Frederick is out for the season.

Iowa beat NC Central but struggled. The weakness that has always been under FM showed up, no perimeter defense. Keegan Murray had 27 points and 21 rebounds and 4 blocks. He is a stud sophomore.

JonInMiddleGA 11-17-2021 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3350588)
Heard Frederick is out for the season.

Surgery coming up this week for a new hamstring injury, very likely done for the year according to reports out of Lexington

Brian Swartz 11-17-2021 09:57 AM

Juwan Howard signs an extension through '25, and Michigan loses a close one to a good Seton Hall team. This is a young team, so I'm not that surprised by the loss. How quickly the young players grow and how good the freshmen end up being is very much an open question.

tarcone 11-18-2021 07:52 PM

If you like the 3, you should have watched Iowa tonight. Jordan Bohannon set the B1G all time 3 points made record and Iowa set their team record of 3s made with 20.

Keegan Murray is a flat out stud, 24 tonight. His twin brother had 14 points and 7 rebounds.

sovereignstar v2 11-18-2021 08:23 PM

I like Jordan. He invited me to his 30th birthday party this upcoming weekend.

tarcone 11-18-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3350739)
I like Jordan. He invited me to his 30th birthday party this upcoming weekend.

Sure it wasnt hi 45th?

sovereignstar v2 11-23-2021 09:35 PM

Mercy

miami_fan 11-24-2021 11:41 AM

I really enjoyed watching the game last night but JFC I need to stop doing that shit.

sterlingice 11-26-2021 03:15 PM

lol @ KU

SI

Ksyrup 11-26-2021 11:12 PM

I had no idea they were still making Chets in the 2000s.

spleen1015 11-27-2021 06:38 AM

Duke/Gonzaga was a great game, close from start to finish.