Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

miami_fan 03-12-2020 11:21 AM

MLS postponed for 30 days; USMNT USWNT friendlies canceled

cartman 03-12-2020 11:21 AM

Big 12 just cancelled their tournament. I'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't soon call off the tournament.

stevew 03-12-2020 11:22 AM

There’s no way the NCAA tournament goes on.

I suppose they could screen every player and lock them down on a secure site and play out all 63-65 games over the course of a week. That would be cool and a logistical nightmare.

Arles 03-12-2020 11:23 AM

The Big 10, SEC and American conferences just cancelled theirs as well. This isn't look good for March Madness

ISiddiqui 03-12-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3268291)

I'm glad that happened. Atlanta United had a home game scheduled for Saturday, and I was 90% on the side of not going (of course last week I was one of almost 70k at the home opener... doh).

cartman 03-12-2020 11:34 AM

NHL has now announced a suspension.

edit: well I guess not officially. But refs/game officials who are traveling have been instructed to return home

edit2: the suspension is now official

ISiddiqui 03-12-2020 11:38 AM

Well Georgia just announced its first death from COVID-19

JPhillips 03-12-2020 11:51 AM

Trudeau and his wife in self quarantine.

stevew 03-12-2020 12:27 PM

the movie "Outbreak" is #6 on Netflix today.

Ben E Lou 03-12-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3268301)
Trudeau and his wife in self quarantine.

Not that these two fit the demographic, but with the typical age of legislators and executive branch leadership, given the stress they deal with, lack of sleep from travel, etc, it seems almost inevitable that at least one high-ranking official from the US or close ally is going to die from this, no?

QuikSand 03-12-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3268307)
Not that these two fit the demographic, but with the typical age of legislators and executive branch leadership, given the stress they deal with, lack of sleep from travel, etc, it seems almost inevitable that at least one high-ranking official from the US or close ally is going to die from this, no?

That seems likely, yes.

It's dawning on the political class less "well known" as well... I work in public policy, and the likelihood of multiple people I know professionally dying from this seems very real.

JPhillips 03-12-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3268307)

We now have photographic evidence that Trump interacted with a positive case, but his narcissism will keep him from self quarantining. Sen. Scott did the right thing and announced he's in isolation after meeting the Brazilian last weekend.

Our big problem is the percentage of GOPers that still think this is no big deal. It may take high profile deaths to change that.

PilotMan 03-12-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3268305)
the movie "Outbreak" is #6 on Netflix today.

"Contagion" has been #1 on streaming sites for weeks.

spleen1015 03-12-2020 01:03 PM

See tweets that Duke has removed itself from the NCAA tournament. Looks like they are pushing the NCAA's hand into cancelling.

sterlingice 03-12-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3268317)
See tweets that Duke has removed itself from the NCAA tournament. Looks like they are pushing the NCAA's hand into cancelling.

Give the title to us! It will give the NCAA something to take away after the investigation.

SI

NobodyHere 03-12-2020 01:04 PM

Police in riot gear clear street after crowd reported on UD campus

JPhillips 03-12-2020 01:05 PM

Brazil's Bolsonaro now confirmed positive.

JAG 03-12-2020 01:14 PM

I’ve been following Minnesota’s Department of Health website the past few days. They have a running count of number of people infected and approximately how many tests they’ve administered. In case anyone was curious, it went from 3 and 133, to 5 and 225, to 9 and 316. So approximately 90 tests per day in our state at the moment.

Lathum 03-12-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3268317)

Kansas just announced they are out. Game over.

Ben E Lou 03-12-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3268315)
Our big problem is the percentage of GOPers that still think this is no big deal. It may take high profile deaths to change that.

And especially the elderly, some of whom ONLY trust Fox News and Trump.

molson 03-12-2020 01:26 PM

A lot of big movie premieres, like Quiet Place 2 and the new James Bond movie are being postponed.

I'll keep going to the movies (as long as they're open), I tend to go at times I'm not sitting near anyone anyway. I'm curious to see how Regal will fill out the schedule or if they'll just reduce screenings.

Ben E Lou 03-12-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3268314)
That seems likely, yes.

It's dawning on the political class less "well known" as well... I work in public policy, and the likelihood of multiple people I know professionally dying from this seems very real.

Ugh.

PilotMan 03-12-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3268318)
Give the title to us! It will give the NCAA something to take away after the investigation.

SI

Oh HELL NO! We get the title because we've actually qualified for the tournament with wins!!

JPhillips 03-12-2020 02:25 PM

Multiple positives now here in Newburgh.

JPhillips 03-12-2020 02:27 PM

MLB postpones opening by at least 2 weeks and cancels the rest of Spring training.

Butter 03-12-2020 02:35 PM

Ohio closing schools for 3 weeks starting after end of school Monday, calling it extended spring break.

Health Dept. head said that there is evidence to support that "community spread" has reached 1% of the Ohio population, which would be 117,000 people.

NobodyHere 03-12-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3268339)
Ohio closing schools for 3 weeks starting after end of school Monday, calling it extended spring break.

Health Dept. head said that there is evidence to support that "community spread" has reached 1% of the Ohio population, which would be 117,000 people.

A lot of parents at my work are not happy since they have to find a babysitter or miss work.

AlexB 03-12-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3268340)
A lot of parents at my work are not happy since they have to find a babysitter or miss work.

Our government had an extended PM’s press conference on all the major channels today, and made a good point about this: shutting schools could mean the emergency babysitter is the grandparents... which brings the most vulnerable group into contact with the least vulnerable group who also show (generally) mild or no symptoms.

I have to say i was quite impressed with the whole message BJ gave with his medical & science officers, both in content and tone.

Arles 03-12-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3268341)
Our government had an extended PM’s press conference on all the major channels today, and made a good point about this: shutting schools could mean the emergency babysitter is the grandparents... which brings the most vulnerable group into contact with the least vulnerable group who also show (generally) mild or no symptoms.

I have to say i was quite impressed with the whole message BJ gave with his medical & science officers, both in content and tone.

I heard another interesting point - 30% of all nurses are parents. With no school, nurses need to call off to stay with their kids. What would the impact of that be?

ISiddiqui 03-12-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3268341)

I wish I could be impressed with the message our head of government gave. At least Biden's message was good - unfortunately he can't yet do the things that would help the crisis.

larrymcg421 03-12-2020 02:56 PM

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp suggested (but not mandated) schools close for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. I work in Fulton County and they already closed schools on Tuesday and Wednesday. They re-opened today but it was already a planned teacher workday. Tomorrow is also a teacher workday. No announcement from Fulton yet on what they will do starting next week.

QuikSand 03-12-2020 02:57 PM

Maryland is about to announce statewide school closings next week.

We have one non-travel-related case in the state, as of now. But the buzz is audible here in state politics.

JPhillips 03-12-2020 02:59 PM

There's good evidence from 1918 that early school closing really reduced transmission. It's a hard decision to make, but it probably needs to be done nation wide.

tarcone 03-12-2020 03:01 PM

Talked to my doctor today. He said Im a healthy T1D. So I have no worries.

He did suggest not flying unless absolutely necessary. But I havemy Dads 90th birthday. So that seems absolutely necessary.

bob 03-12-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3268344)
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp suggested (but not mandated) schools close for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. I work in Fulton County and they already closed schools on Tuesday and Wednesday. They re-opened today but it was already a planned teacher workday. Tomorrow is also a teacher workday. No announcement from Fulton yet on what they will do starting next week.

My wife is a teacher and just got an email stating an announcement would be made soon.

JPhillips 03-12-2020 03:23 PM

Lindsay Graham now self quarantining.

Ben E Lou 03-12-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3268346)
There's good evidence from 1918 that early school closing really reduced transmission. It's a hard decision to make, but it probably needs to be done nation wide.

Elementary schools in particular seem to be obvious places where viruses are freely spread. Easy for me to say, as it would be only a minor disruption for us because I work from home and my kids are old enough that all I have to do is feed 'em lunch and they'll handle the rest. That said, I watched my next-door neighbors' kids (ages 7 and 9) jump straight out of their mom's car--directly after having spent that last 6 hours in a building with 800ish other children--and run go hug and kiss their 68-year-old grandmother who had just driven up at their house. That seems pretty dangerous in this situation.

Edward64 03-12-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3268327)
A lot of big movie premieres, like Quiet Place 2 and the new James Bond movie are being postponed.

I'll keep going to the movies (as long as they're open), I tend to go at times I'm not sitting near anyone anyway. I'm curious to see how Regal will fill out the schedule or if they'll just reduce screenings.

I'm good just as long as they don't delay Top Gun 2.

tarcone 03-12-2020 03:29 PM

School age kids are the carriers. And the problem is when they go hone where grandma is raising them and give it to grandma and it kills grandma. Who raises the kid then?

Shutting schools is a very smart move.

larrymcg421 03-12-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3268351)
My wife is a teacher and just got an email stating an announcement would be made soon.

Can you update me as soon as she gets word? I'm a student teacher and don't have access to county announcements.

miami_fan 03-12-2020 03:36 PM

This is going to be a problem, no?

JetBlue passenger tested positive for coronavirus before taking flight

I thought the people who were being tested showed symptoms and were quarantined? I would be so pissed if I traveled for work and ended up stuck in a hotel room for 14 days.

ISiddiqui 03-12-2020 03:39 PM

Why would you get on a plane?

It takes 24 hours for some tests to get a result. So they could have let him go and called him with the results... but in that case.. WHY GET ON A PLANE!

molson 03-12-2020 03:40 PM

And down goes Disneyland..

We were scheduled to go next week. I assumed it wasn't happening but am glad I have no choice. The thought of a ghost town Disneyland was a little tempting...

bob 03-12-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3268363)
Can you update me as soon as she gets word? I'm a student teacher and don't have access to county announcements.

Will do although I've heard nothing yet. Seemed dumb to send an email saying "hey, we'll send an email later."

miked 03-12-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3268344)

I'm in Dekalb, so the only thing that matters is who paid the BOE members more.

larrymcg421 03-12-2020 03:47 PM

Looks like there's going to be an emergency school board meeting (by phone) at 530pm tonight.

RainMaker 03-12-2020 03:49 PM

I'm guessing all schools around the country will be closed soon. I know that helped a lot with the Spanish Flu. I guess the twist is that this virus doesn't seem to really be hitting kids.

Edward64 03-12-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3268366)
And down goes Disneyland..

We were scheduled to go next week. I assumed it wasn't happening but am glad I have no choice. The thought of a ghost town Disneyland was a little tempting...

Good. Now that we are done with all the mass sporting events, let's get back to the important stuff like toilet paper :)

I like Fauci. He is telling it the way he believes it regardless of whether Trump reams him or not. Keep at it, don't worry about a job, regardless of what Trump says to you, odds are looking good you'll have one in Jan 2021. He's my early favorite for Time Person of the Year so far.

Trump - this is a loss for you. Few will blame you for the coronavirus and early mis-steps are somewhat understandable, but your administration's current response (including you) is pretty underwhelming.

Joe - not sure if its a win for you yet, but looks like you have something to play with for the next 8 months.

Bernie - one more debate (because I want to see Biden one-on-one anyway), but then please do the right thing.

Stock Market - you do you. It'll get worse before getting better but I know it'll get better so get it all out and let's do another great bull run.

tarcone 03-12-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3268373)
I'm guessing all schools around the country will be closed soon. I know that helped a lot with the Spanish Flu. I guess the twist is that this virus doesn't seem to really be hitting kids.

Like I said earlier, they are the carriers. That si the problem, they wont show the symptoms and take it home and get someone sick who ends up dying.

RainMaker 03-12-2020 03:57 PM

The numbers out of Italy are downright scary. I know it's an older population but their death rate is over 5%.