Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Werewolf Games (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   voting pet peeves (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=60116)

hoopsguy 08-03-2007 09:51 AM

voting pet peeves

It sounds like there was a little consternation at times during the last game about some votes, so I figured this might be a fun little venting thread for people.

My personal favorite - "Player X must be a wolf if he is still around on Day 4!"

Alan T 08-03-2007 09:54 AM

My biggest pet peeve...

I'm frustrated that everyone is voting for me so I'll just vote myself! Vote Selfvote!

KWhit 08-03-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsguy (Post 1517363)
It sounds like there was a little consternation at times during the last game about some votes....

Was there? What are you referring to?

st.cronin 08-03-2007 09:57 AM

I'm not a fan of villagers holding their vote close to the deadline. To me, that's a wolf play.

KWhit 08-03-2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1517369)
I'm not a fan of villagers holding their vote close to the deadline. To me, that's a wolf play.

Agreed. And villagers who make last minute vote switches just make things overly confusing for villagers to analyze later.

Alan T 08-03-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

I did that twice in the last game.. both times were basically because I didn't have a great direction of where to go with my vote. Both times I felt I made a pretty good read with it based off of the other voting..

day1: voting chief rum
day 2: voting to protect barkeep.

Granted there was luck and some wrong deductions that led me to the reasons I did those votes, but I don't understand why that was necessarily a wolf move.

Barkeep49 08-03-2007 10:07 AM

Except that we've now had two consecutive games where last minute switches have resulted in us getting a wolf, and in this last game preventing the killing of one of two villagers.

Why is a last minute switch inherently wolfish? I agree we tend to view it that way, but does it have any basis in fact?

hoopsguy 08-03-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWhit (Post 1517367)
Was there? What are you referring to?

I'll go fish out some posts to back it up if there is interest, but I'm referencing some of the "Vote Player X - gut" style votes that were taking place in Days 4-6. I think that is pretty normal behavior on Day 1 with no information, but usually there is a little more than gut that comes into play with each following day.

I understood that behavior in the BladeRunner game - there was very limited information available on deaths. But stuff was out in the open last game. And my perception as I read along was that multiple people were frustrated receiving votes without reasons being provided (beyond gut).

KWhit, given that you didn't receive any votes the whole game - how do you do it???? - I'm guessing that wasn't as big a deal for you personally.

KWhit 08-03-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkeep49 (Post 1517383)
Except that we've now had two consecutive games where last minute switches have resulted in us getting a wolf, and in this last game preventing the killing of one of two villagers.

Why is a last minute switch inherently wolfish? I agree we tend to view it that way, but does it have any basis in fact?

I don't necessarily think it's wolfish - but I think usually, it hurts the villagers. And I mean last minute switches without reveals of course.

Really, without some sort of significant new information being added to the game, a last minute vote or vote switch just causes confusion. There's already enough of that from a villager POV. There were a number of nights in the last game where nobody seemed to know an accurate vote count because the posts and votes were flying back and forth so fast.

That makes it often impossible to gauge true intent behind a vote. Did so-and-so mean to tie the vote, or did they really think it was already tied up. There will always be these kind of questions, but villagers holding their votes to the last second makes this kind of thing more common than it ought to be, which in the long run makes analysis harder for the villagers.

BTW, I wish we had some kind of automatic vote calculator or something.

tanglewood 08-03-2007 10:32 AM

I am someone who always leaves my vote as close to the deadline as possible, whether I am a vilager or a wolf. Infact, I am usually more inclined to vote early if I am Wolf, easier to hide your vote then.

Generally I want my vote to based on the most possible information, which means leave it as late as possible for all defences, arguments and possible reveals etc. given time to be made. Also voting later gives you more power in the situation. Not technically true as all votes are (usually) equal, but often players are entrenched or not online near the deadline so late voters have a bigger than proportional say. In games where I am a villager I want to maximise my own power as I am the only player I can be 100% sure is good.

st.cronin 08-03-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanglewood (Post 1517419)
I am someone who always leaves my vote as close to the deadline as possible, whether I am a vilager or a wolf. Infact, I am usually more inclined to vote early if I am Wolf, easier to hide your vote then.

Generally I want my vote to based on the most possible information, which means leave it as late as possible for all defences, arguments and possible reveals etc. given time to be made. Also voting later gives you more power in the situation. Not technically true as all votes are (usually) equal, but often players are entrenched or not online near the deadline so late voters have a bigger than proportional say. In games where I am a villager I want to maximise my own power as I am the only player I can be 100% sure is good.

I understand this point of view. On the other hand, holding your vote to the deadline is a way of HIDING information from the village.

tanglewood 08-03-2007 10:43 AM

No, because I always declare openly who I am thinking of voting for if it is between choices. In situations where I am virtually certain to vote for one player I state that also.

Of course you could say that if I was playing as a wolf I could say one thing and then vote another way right at the deadline, but I would only do that in extremely exceptional circumstances.

st.cronin 08-03-2007 10:45 AM

Then I don't understand why you wouldn't vote for one player early, reserving the right to change your vote should more information come out later.

Passacaglia 08-03-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsguy (Post 1517392)
I'll go fish out some posts to back it up if there is interest, but I'm referencing some of the "Vote Player X - gut" style votes that were taking place in Days 4-6. I think that is pretty normal behavior on Day 1 with no information, but usually there is a little more than gut that comes into play with each following day.

I understood that behavior in the BladeRunner game - there was very limited information available on deaths. But stuff was out in the open last game. And my perception as I read along was that multiple people were frustrated receiving votes without reasons being provided (beyond gut).

KWhit, given that you didn't receive any votes the whole game - how do you do it???? - I'm guessing that wasn't as big a deal for you personally.

I guess you might want to look at whether or not those votes are wolf or villager votes. It might be interesting to see if this is a pet peeve wolf ploy, or a pete peeve lazy villager vote.

KWhit 08-03-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanglewood (Post 1517428)
No, because I always declare openly who I am thinking of voting for if it is between choices. In situations where I am virtually certain to vote for one player I state that also.

Of course you could say that if I was playing as a wolf I could say one thing and then vote another way right at the deadline, but I would only do that in extremely exceptional circumstances.

Yes, but this kind of thing gets easily forgotten in the heat of the last 30 minutes before a lynch. It's often impossible to even get an accurate vote count, much less remember somebody saying who they will probably vote for.

path12 08-03-2007 12:32 PM

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but it doesn't really bother me at all when people vote -- you just need to realize that a late vote or switch is going to have more scrutiny on it, so you better be able to articulate your reasoning.

What bothers me much more is when people don't vote at all.

Lathum 08-03-2007 01:04 PM

I hate " player X cast the second vote on player Y so they must be a wolf" Has that EVER been true?

Neon_Chaos 08-03-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan T (Post 1517364)
My biggest pet peeve...

I'm frustrated that everyone is voting for me so I'll just vote myself! Vote Selfvote!

Hey, that's my play. :)

Lathum 08-03-2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan T (Post 1517364)
My biggest pet peeve...

i hate this as well. The game is frustrating at times but if you are gong to quit why play at all?

Barkeep49 08-06-2007 09:28 AM

I think my biggest pet peeve is the self vote. However, voting with no explanation certainly makes the list.

st.cronin 08-09-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Another reason I don't like this is because occasionally, maybe once every two or three games, somebody misses a vote because something comes up late in the day. If you put a vote out early, with the idea to change it later, this problem is avoided.

saldana 08-12-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1517544)
I hate " player X cast the second vote on player Y so they must be a wolf" Has that EVER been true?

actually yes...i know i caught someone with it at least once, maybe twice

my most hated situation involving voting is when someone with a role is on the block and instead of revealing to try and save them self or help the village with any information they have, they get pissy that people are voting for them and die without saying anything, and then pout that "why should i help you when you didnt believe me that i was a villager!"

its a game where we kill someone every day...eventually you are gonna get voted out...deal with it!

path12 08-13-2007 10:53 PM

Not really a voting pet peeve, but it's weird that I never seem to get scanned. Seems like I'm always one of the three or four towards the end that nobody has any read on. I must not be threatening enough. :)

Lathum 08-13-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by path12 (Post 1524219)
Not really a voting pet peeve, but it's weird that I never seem to get scanned. Seems like I'm always one of the three or four towards the end that nobody has any read on. I must not be threatening enough. :)

FWIW I allways find you a threat.

you scare the hell out of me

path12 08-14-2007 12:05 AM

Now Lathum, he always gets scanned. Goes to show you, never use World's Greatest Wolf as your signature.

ntndeacon 08-14-2007 12:06 AM

I hate it when people vote for me. :D

Tyrith 08-14-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntndeacon (Post 1524262)
I hate it when people vote for me. :D

It's better than just having me on a ritualistic crusade trying to get you executed because you refuse to die :P