Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help Me Design Our Company Logo (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=84457)

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 12:01 AM

Help Me Design Our Company Logo

I'm not asking you to choose one of the below logos, but to look at each logo and see which elements within the logo would work together with others.

Company background: Three friends are starting up a wedding and event photography business. The first name initial of these friends are R, E, and R, hence the name "RER Photography" We will also have a photobooth side business that we will run along with the wedding/event photography. As it stands, the photobooth is currently our bread and butter business, but we want to expand to more traditional wedding and event photography.

Our target audience: Bridal couples, and corporate event coordinators.

I designed this logo myself with Adobe Illustrator. But because I am not a graphic/logo designer, I don't know if I made any fundamental mistakes. I would like more sets of eyes looking at this and suggest any changes or more ideas.

When I designed the logo, I wanted to make a simple and modern look, as well a clever play on our initials into the graphic itself. I want a clean font so the eye is drawn to the graphic, yet shows enough info about our company name in case the audience does not imediately catch on to the letters within the graphic.

Please suggest fonts, colors, and what you like/dislike about the individual elements of the graphic.

Now the logos:

JonInMiddleGA 07-12-2012 12:20 AM

Totally off the cuff here ...

-- I keep reading it as RERP ... maybe it's my screwy eyes (or brain) but maybe try changing fonts between RER and Photography to see if there's a combo that's complimentary but still pops the RER harder

-- I'd like to see the little switch thingy in the middle of the camera turned (like in ver 1,3,4) but with the white outline/black body (like in ver 2)

-- I definitely like the camera better with the flash

-- The very first thing that went through my mind (maybe just because I was discussing social media mktg immediately prior to reading this thread) is that the text part of the logo is extremely wide at the bottom relative to the graphic top & it might get awkward to position well on things like FB. I don't know if I have a happy solution for that, but figured I'd mention it early in the process.

Grover 07-12-2012 12:23 AM

I like the potentials, but the "e" reminds me of internet explorer almost immediately.

Fidatelo 07-12-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grover (Post 2687131)
I like the potentials, but the "e" reminds me of internet explorer almost immediately.

This was my first thought exactly.

Matthean 07-12-2012 08:16 AM

You need a space between RER and Photography. +1 on the IE aspect. It might help to add in a third color just to give it a little "pop."

DaddyTorgo 07-12-2012 08:20 AM

I like the last one, but yes, +1 to every Matthean said in the post before mine.

Jughead Spock 07-12-2012 08:23 AM

Also, don't tilt the E - looks like a 'Do not...' sign

Of those, I think I like the picture in #2 with the font/color scheme of #4.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 08:32 AM

Great stuff to start. I appreciate it.

Quote:

-- I keep reading it as RERP ... maybe it's my screwy eyes (or brain) but maybe try changing fonts between RER and Photography to see if there's a combo that's complimentary but still pops the RER harder

I had the same problem, I was hoping a change in color or maybe bolding the initials would make it pop. I can also try enlarging RER or simply putting more space between the RER and Photography.

Quote:

-- I'd like to see the little switch thingy in the middle of the camera turned (like in ver 1,3,4) but with the white outline/black body (like in ver 2)

Okay, I'll show one with a black "e" rotated at 45°.

Quote:

-- I definitely like the camera better with the flash

I agree. I just wasn't sure if the flash took too much away from the "rer" hidden among the graphic, so I removed it to see if it still looked like a camera.

Also, what are your thoughts about the little white shutter button on the top left corner?

Quote:

-- The very first thing that went through my mind (maybe just because I was discussing social media mktg immediately prior to reading this thread) is that the text part of the logo is extremely wide at the bottom relative to the graphic top & it might get awkward to position well on things like FB. I don't know if I have a happy solution for that, but figured I'd mention it early in the process.

I haven't really thought that far about the size and position of the graphic relative to the text. My long term goal is to have a brand that people can recognize by looking at the graphic logo and know it's us. Short term though, I need them together. I just haven't been able to fit them together just yet. Great point about designing for social media. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Quote:

Quote:

This was my first thought exactly.

This is the stuff I'm looking for. I have another idea for an alternative "e" but it's only in my head and attempted on paper. I'll try to get it on Illustrator to see if it'll work. I'll post another set of mockups tonight when I get home.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead Spock (Post 2687202)
Also, don't tilt the E - looks like a 'Do not...' sign

Of those, I think I like the picture in #2 with the font/color scheme of #4.

What if I rotate the "e" only 30° instead of the 45° shown above?

JonInMiddleGA 07-12-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalBumCover (Post 2687210)
Also, what are your thoughts about the little white shutter button on the top left corner?

Unnecessary IMO. Mostly provides an additional opportunity for a printed version to screw up (with an ink smear into the white space). TBH I didn't even notice it was there until you mentioned it.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2687309)
Unnecessary IMO. Mostly provides an additional opportunity for a printed version to screw up (with an ink smear into the white space). TBH I didn't even notice it was there until you mentioned it.

Good point. I think the flash on top already establishes that the image is supposed to look like a camera.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 06:45 PM

After looking over your suggestions, here's another mockup, with a stylized "e" and separated the RER from Photography.

ozias 07-12-2012 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could also try something along these lines.

JonInMiddleGA 07-12-2012 07:37 PM

I like where you've gotten with this.

I also give Ozias pretty darned good marks for his idea as well, that's ain't half bad at all.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

You could also try something along these lines.
I like your suggestion, however someone with a very careful eye would notice the "e" is already sandwiched by two lower case "r" which altogether forms the camera image.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 07:47 PM

How about as a complete logo, shrink the camera to the size of the text and insert it in between the RER and Photography.

cuervo72 07-12-2012 09:38 PM

Heh, that last 'e' looks like it is squinting and smiling.

Grover 07-12-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalBumCover (Post 2687612)
After looking over your suggestions, here's another mockup, with a stylized "e" and separated the RER from Photography.

I really dig this.

JonInMiddleGA 07-12-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 2687687)

You've got a point there

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Hmm maybe that's what I should go for. At first glance people will see the squinting smile, but once they notice the "rer" it will be a "can't un-see" moment. Like the FedEx arrow.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 10:51 PM

Neon_Chaos 07-12-2012 10:59 PM

Why black and white? The palette isn't eye catching.

Maybe use warm colors? red for RER. and a mixture of other warm colors for the camera? Photography can remain the light shade of grey.

Matthean 07-12-2012 11:12 PM

I prefer the more compact look but can understand the longer one. The "e" or "photography" desperately need to be colored in something besides grey though.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 11:33 PM

Cool. Now we're talking about color schemes. I will probably have discussions with the other partners about the final color choices, but I put together a mockup with a light blue color. I tried using red for the lens and the RER, but I kept seeing the word RED instead of RER. Also, light blue might better represent a camera lens. We could go for a secondary color, but I don't know where to put it.

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 11:43 PM

Maybe this is a good time to remind myself, and possibly others here about our target audience. We're a wedding and event photography business. If you were getting married, or will be hosting a corporate holiday party or convention looking for a photographer for your event, would this logo capture your attention?

If I were the photographer at a wedding or party, and I wore say a polo shirt bearing this logo, would this it imprint in guests minds who we are?

Finally, keep in mind we're also a photo booth business. Does this logo express the fun of participating in a photo booth shoot (we have props, funny hats, glasses, etc.)?

AnalBumCover 07-12-2012 11:56 PM

I should clarify a bit: our photo booth business will most likely have a different branding from the RER Photography you see here. We will inherit this from an existing business from one of the partners. The photo booth is called Fun Foto Studioz. We may keep the name since it's been a good source of referrals and repeat business.

Vince, Pt. II 07-13-2012 12:05 AM

I like the blue a ton. I was going to suggest going different colors (which is odd, because grey is my favorite color), the grey just didn't pop out as much from the black text. I like where you've gotten to with it!

I could almost see that 'e' peeking out from behind the curtain of a photo booth for the logo on that side of things, although that wouldn't work as well if you're keeping the name from the inherited business.

Neon_Chaos 07-13-2012 12:42 AM

For photobooth stuff, you're going to have to get crazier.

See this logo of the Philippine photobooth guys we hired... it's screams out FUN!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A7zNc0sRpC...LOGO+RGB+A.jpg

Dutch 07-13-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalBumCover (Post 2687726)

I like this one, even as just an alternative logo. Something to keep in mind.

AnalBumCover 07-13-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 2687756)
For photobooth stuff, you're going to have to get crazier.

See this logo of the Philippine photobooth guys we hired... it's screams out FUN!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A7zNc0sRpC...LOGO+RGB+A.jpg

I like it.

AnalBumCover 07-13-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 2687752)
I could almost see that 'e' peeking out from behind the curtain of a photo booth for the logo on that side of things, although that wouldn't work as well if you're keeping the name from the inherited business.

Our photobooth is really not a "booth" in the traditional sense. It's an open air photo studio setting, with large backdrop and two umbrella strobes. Depending on the package, we can set up a tripod and touch screen so you can operate the booth yourself, or we have a professional photographer take your pictures à la fashion model photo shoot.

Logan 07-13-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalBumCover (Post 2687747)
Maybe this is a good time to remind myself, and possibly others here about our target audience. We're a wedding and event photography business. If you were getting married, or will be hosting a corporate holiday party or convention looking for a photographer for your event, would this logo capture your attention?

If I were the photographer at a wedding or party, and I wore say a polo shirt bearing this logo, would this it imprint in guests minds who we are?

We're in the very early stages of looking for a wedding photographer, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't noticed a single logo. It's the actual pictures that grab us and lead to looking further into a company's site. Obviously we may very well be the exception to that.

AnalBumCover 07-13-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2687797)
We're in the very early stages of looking for a wedding photographer, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't noticed a single logo. It's the actual pictures that grab us and lead to looking further into a company's site. Obviously we may very well be the exception to that.

You're absolutely right about what you're doing. In the end, it's the final product you're looking for. The quality of the photos. Because that's what you're taking home with you at the end of the day.

The logo is just another piece to present our company image. Photos are important when making the final decision. But the logo, when put on a website, brochure, business card, or watermarked on a photo, should present us as professional and creative, and not as a rag-tag bunch of guys with a camera and a trigger-happy finger. It could be the difference between us getting the job, or our business card being tossed away.

In an area that's saturated with photographers, folks here are going to look through tons of sample photos and photobooks. And eventually they're all going to look the same. I want people to remember the camera with the blue squinty smiley face for a lens. And when they look twice, they'll see the "rer" which I hope would make a deeper impression on them.

AnalBumCover 07-19-2012 10:52 PM

Logo Design: Round 2

We're now into looking into font choices and graphic/text placement. I found this font on dafonts.com. However I'm still not quite happy with it. Any suggestions here would be helpful.

Matthean 07-20-2012 07:51 AM

Um, no. :D

Logan 07-20-2012 08:25 AM

The font hurts my eyes for some reason.

I also wouldn't associate it with a classy outfit you would expect for a wedding.