Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NHL 2017-18 Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=93375)

MizzouRah 10-04-2017 10:50 AM

NHL 2017-18 Season Thread

Let's GO BLUES!!!

CrescentMoonie 10-04-2017 11:30 AM

Fully expect the cap strapped Caps to miss the playoffs and hopefully break up the band of 2nd round losers finally.

Fidatelo 10-04-2017 12:49 PM

Time for the Jets to push their way up the Central a couple notches. If this team isn't sitting in a playoff position by December 1 there needs to be a wholesale change of the coaching staff. Not just Paul Maurice, but almost as importantly (or maybe more) Charlie Huddy and Wade Flaherty as well.

bob 10-04-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 3178179)
Time for the Jets to push their way up the Central a couple notches. If this team isn't sitting in a playoff position by December 1 there needs to be a wholesale change of the coaching staff. Not just Paul Maurice, but almost as importantly (or maybe more) Charlie Huddy and Wade Flaherty as well.

No offense, but I hope they lose every game.

I miss the Thrashers.

CrescentMoonie 10-04-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Not the start you envisioned, I'm guessing.

General Mike 10-04-2017 09:01 PM

Go Flyers! Maybe one of their free agent scratch off goaltending lotto tickets will finally pay off.

Maple Leafs 10-04-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3178237)

They scored two goals, so a bunch of people probably got extensions.

djsatu 10-04-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Sucks when you can't get a consistent number 1 between the pipes. Steve Mason is awful.

Fidatelo 10-05-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3178190)

Looks like you might get your wish! :eek:

Fidatelo 10-05-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3178237)

Well they played like gangbusters for the first 10-15 minutes, so it kind of was the right start. They all absolutely fell apart after not scoring on all those penalties and then the Leafs immediately making the most of their first one.

It's one game, but almost all the areas of concern going in showed up in spades (dumb penalties, bad goaltending, awful d-zone coverage, poor special teams). Not encouraging.

bob 10-05-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 3178283)
Looks like you might get your wish! :eek:

I was born into being a Red Wings fan but given that we left Detroit when i was in 1st grade, I never saw Wings game until they came down to play Atlanta in what I think was the Thrashers 2nd regular season home game in the inaugural season. I never had anywhere near the cash necessary to buy season tickets, but I went to at least 5 games a year and miss the live experience of the NHL.

The franchise was cursed with bad ownership, the Dany Heatley car accident, and poor planning for when games started due to traffic, but I still miss them, even if they never did win a single playoff game (I think Winnipeg has kept that going at least).

I'm glad you got a team back. Just wish it wasn't ours.

Honolulu_Blue 10-05-2017 10:22 AM

Poor, Jiri Hudler. I hope he gets things straightened out.

As for the Wings... They aren't likely to be contenders for a long time. It sucks. I'm in a funk. A Blue Streak. I don't like it. I am very down on the Red Wings, the organization, and their management staff. I hate this. I have never been this down on the Wings EVER.

I really did not like their draft at all, though I will admit that Rasmussen, their first round pick, did look really good during the pre-season. He's back in juniors now, where he belongs, but he might turn into something.

I have zero faith that Holland can actually make an impactful hockey deal. When was the last actual trade Holland pulled off that had an impact? The 2008 trade for Brad Stuart? I don't know if I'd count the Legwand, Cole, or Zidlicky deals as really having an impact. Even the Hossa signing wasn't his idea. Hossa's agent called him and raises the possibility.

Holland's press conferences are painful. They are Lionesque in their mix of haplessness and arrogance. He has come out and said "trades are hard" and "less is more" and that "there are no more dynasties in the NHL" (despite the fact that three teams have won 7 of the last 8 Cups). His cap management is awful. How can a team this bad have NEGATIVE cap space? They don't even have enough cap space to sign Athanasiou, who remains the only RFA unsigned.

Almost every contract on this team is a bad one. He had a chance to try to do something to help with this during the expansion draft. Other teams did. It was painful, but they did it. Holland? Nope. Trades are hard after all.

Then there is the new arena. Put aside all of the tax payer money and how it's all about filling the Illitch's coffers, but it's a garish thing. Thee is a giant Little Caesars pizza guy on the roof of the building. It's massive and dumb looking and will show up in ever aerial shot ever. The font on the building is the actual Little Caesars Pizza Font. There is going to be a Kid Rock restaurant in the arena. Ticket prices have increased big time. It's all garbage.

I have no faith in Chris Illitch as an owner. No faith in Holland anymore. His track record over 7-8 years is abysmal.

All that being said, I'll be watching the Wings tonight and will hope for the best.

JonInMiddleGA 10-05-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3178190)

I miss the Thrashers.

This

Young Drachma 10-05-2017 01:07 PM

Devils likely to be hot garbage. NHL new playoff structure still sucks. Always happy when there's a new expansion team to ignore, but wouldn't be surprised if I ended up at a game at their barn sometime, once the novelty wears off.

Also, seeing Devils v. Flames in Calgary in November.

CrescentMoonie 10-05-2017 08:34 PM

Caps might eek one out against Ottawa but they look as untalented as I thought. On a positive note, Pens barely forced OT last night before losing and are down 5-0 after 1 tonight.

MizzouRah 10-05-2017 09:07 PM

Nice win for the Blues!

On another note the Blackhawks are taking it to the Pens tonight.. wow 8-1 in the 2nd period.

CrescentMoonie 10-05-2017 09:40 PM

One win closer to playoff disappointment. Liked the fight out of the Caps after being invisible for most of the game.

MizzouRah 10-05-2017 09:51 PM

Now 9-1.. Saad with the hattrick.

CrescentMoonie 10-05-2017 10:15 PM

10-1 now. I'm not sure the last time I saw the Pens get skunked like this.

Neuqua 10-06-2017 07:15 AM

That (Blackhawks) game was fun to watch last night!

Hopefully the Schmaltz injury isn't going to be a huge buzzkill today.

MizzouRah 10-06-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3178422)
10-1 now. I'm not sure the last time I saw the Pens get skunked like this.

I don't understand why they had to play back to back games. I'm not saying that's the reason they got smoked but all that emotion Wednesday night and then had to travel to Chicago.

JPhillips 10-08-2017 09:56 AM

That's seven goals for Ovi to start the season. The spinning wrist shot to the top corner was vintage Ovi.

The Caps look solid for another strong season and disappointing playoffs.

CrescentMoonie 10-08-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3178744)
That's seven goals for Ovi to start the season. The spinning wrist shot to the top corner was vintage Ovi.

The Caps look solid for another strong season and disappointing playoffs.

I'm shocked they look this good right now. They've got 2.5 legit defensemen and a very thin top 6 forward group. I still expect them to not make the playoffs, but 5 of Ovi's 7 goals are from driving the net and getting into the slot between the dots. That's something I haven't seen since probably 2010-11. It's wild to see this transformation even in the regular season (remember last year he was barely top 15 in goals and top 20 in points).

I'm guessing the GM calling him out publicly for being out of shape in the playoffs and finally settling down and getting married has gotten him to be a bit more serious. He came into camp early for the first time ever and was 15 lbs lighter than last year. He's also apparently pissed about the Olympics. With that said, he's still been zero effort in the defensive zone so not everything has changed. I'd still put money on the Caps being sellers and starting the needed rebuild at the trade deadline.

Critch 10-08-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3178746)
I'd still put money on the Caps being sellers and starting the needed rebuild at the trade deadline.

I'm going for the Caps making the playoffs as a lower seed, 6th or 7th. The local sports media will rattle on about "this isnt like the old Caps, there's no pressure or expectations, they can play freely, this is our year!"

Then they get knocked out in the first round and Trotz and MacLellan get fired.

CrescentMoonie 10-08-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critch (Post 3178748)
I'm going for the Caps making the playoffs as a lower seed, 6th or 7th. The local sports media will rattle on about "this isnt like the old Caps, there's no pressure or expectations, they can play freely, this is our year!"

Then they get knocked out in the first round and Trotz and MacLellan get fired.

I'll hold the door for Trotz as he goes. I think GMBM is trying to do the right things but the owner is more concerned with sellouts and merchandising than winning it all. If he goes then I expect nothing but another yes man who isn't allowed to make the obvious moves like buying out Orpik, trading players before their value is depleted (rumors abound that Mac wanted to trade Ovi and was told no), and building a team for the playoffs instead of the regular season.

Fidatelo 10-10-2017 12:22 PM

As an outsider I would not be in a hurry to blow up that Caps roster. That is a good team and I still think they can have a couple legit runs for a cup.

CrescentMoonie 10-10-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 3179055)
As an outsider I would not be in a hurry to blow up that Caps roster. That is a good team and I still think they can have a couple legit runs for a cup.

They haven't had a legit run for the cup since 1998. They've changed everything except Ovi during this run and had the exact same results. He's been a 0.66 ppg playoff scorer, and a -8, the last 5 postseasons. They're locked into being a good scoring team that wins in the regular season for another 3 years after this season. It's actually more enjoyable to have the cup winning false hopes removed.

Niskanen is the only legit top pairing D on the roster and he's more of the #2 guy. Orlov is still developing while Carlson has taken a couple of big steps backwards the last 2 years. It's so bad that Brooks Orpik is playing in the 2nd pairing again despite being beyond horrible at this point.

They've got 4 top 6 forwards. Even the bottom 6 has a question mark or two.

There's not much in the pipeline other than another 2-3 goalies behind the 2 studs at the NHL level and 3 defensemen that are considered 3rd pairing prospects. All of that is true with a team that is right up against the cap.

Ovi, Oshie, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov have been big positives through the first 3 games, but Vrana and Burakovsky are clearly not good enough yet.

The hope is probably to move either Holtby or Grubauer and get either a top 4 D or top 6 F. The window for moving either Ovi or Backstrom is gone and both will be counting more than $16 million a year against the salary cap through the end of the 2020-21 season.

Fidatelo 10-11-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3179065)
They haven't had a legit run for the cup since 1998. They've changed everything except Ovi during this run and had the exact same results. He's been a 0.66 ppg playoff scorer, and a -8, the last 5 postseasons. They're locked into being a good scoring team that wins in the regular season for another 3 years after this season. It's actually more enjoyable to have the cup winning false hopes removed.

Niskanen is the only legit top pairing D on the roster and he's more of the #2 guy. Orlov is still developing while Carlson has taken a couple of big steps backwards the last 2 years. It's so bad that Brooks Orpik is playing in the 2nd pairing again despite being beyond horrible at this point.

They've got 4 top 6 forwards. Even the bottom 6 has a question mark or two.

There's not much in the pipeline other than another 2-3 goalies behind the 2 studs at the NHL level and 3 defensemen that are considered 3rd pairing prospects. All of that is true with a team that is right up against the cap.

Ovi, Oshie, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov have been big positives through the first 3 games, but Vrana and Burakovsky are clearly not good enough yet.

The hope is probably to move either Holtby or Grubauer and get either a top 4 D or top 6 F. The window for moving either Ovi or Backstrom is gone and both will be counting more than $16 million a year against the salary cap through the end of the 2020-21 season.

If they move Holtby they are crazy. Source - a fan of a team that hasn't had a decent goalie in forever.

Young Drachma 10-11-2017 08:35 AM

Still weird that Vegas has a team, but somehow less strange that Arizona having had a team for 20 years.

CrescentMoonie 10-11-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 3179249)
If they move Holtby they are crazy. Source - a fan of a team that hasn't had a decent goalie in forever.

Holtby has collapsed in the playoffs two years in a row and Grubauer's numbers are nearly as good. I would move Grubauer myself, but we're legitimately 4-5 deep at goalie.

CrescentMoonie 10-11-2017 10:27 AM

Vegas can't possibly make the playoffs, can they?

Young Drachma 10-11-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3179269)

This isn't the 1969 NHL, so no.

murrayyyyy 10-11-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3179269)

Before the season I felt that 85 pts was highest goal. Stars game was luck and beating Arizona twice isn't that grand. If they win Friday against the Red Wings, it's still not a major win as the Red Wings are low in most power rankings but it will seem big in name as it's one of the original 6.

Vancouver, Colorado and Arizona are worse than VGK. The question is can they finish above San Jose and LA to make the playoffs and I just don't see it happening. I think only the top 3 in the Pacific make it.

bob 10-13-2017 07:04 AM

I hate the Jets, but this was pretty cool:

https://deadspin.com/winnipeg-jets-p...ter-1819422683

Fidatelo 10-13-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3179590)
I hate the Jets, but this was pretty cool:

https://deadspin.com/winnipeg-jets-p...ter-1819422683

Sadly Buff took some heat locally for that, with people claiming he should have been focusing on recovery from his injury. Sports fans drive me crazy sometimes.

murrayyyyy 10-14-2017 10:21 AM

When you are the Golden Knights there is obviously only one choice for a mascot. Chance the Gila Monster! (makes me think Sand Knights or Desert Knights was given real strong consideration)

CrescentMoonie 10-19-2017 08:42 PM

Despite the explosion from Ovechkin in the first couple of games, the Caps are last in shots on goal and the paper thin defense is now down to 1.5 legitimate top 4 D until Niskanen can return.

They're not only up against the cap this year, but they've got $59 million tied up next year in 13 players with Eller (3C), Beagle (4C), and Carlson (3D) all UFAs with Wilson (3RW/1RW) and rookie Bowey (5D) as RFAs. That 13 man roster has 4 legit top 6 forwards, 2 top 4 defensement, and 1 goalie. Carlson, despite not being very good in the defensive end and seeing his offense decline, will likely get a huge contract from someone.

Rumors are the new GM had a deal in place to move Ovi in the offseason after resigning Kuznetsov and Oshie but the owner nixed the deal. He also apparently wanted to buy out Orpik before last season. Instead, it now looks like the window is completely shut on this team and the biggest question is whether they dump Trotz early to give another coach a chance or have a firesale at the deadline and change coaches in the offseason.

Fidatelo 10-20-2017 06:15 AM

How's about we trade you Paul Maurice for Trotz? Heck, we'll throw in all of our assistant's, too. Deal? :P

CrescentMoonie 10-20-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 3180350)
How's about we trade you Paul Maurice for Trotz? Heck, we'll throw in all of our assistant's, too. Deal? :P

6 of one.

Fidatelo 11-28-2017 07:03 PM

So it seems like the Jets might actually be... good? I'm not sure I even want to put that down in writing for fear of jinxing it, but this is such a departure from any of the teams I've watched since they came back to town 7 years ago. Legitimate goal-tending, elite scoring, depth, reasonable defensive structure, and what appears to be a bit of resiliency when they get down.

Queue the 2-7-1 stretch over the next 10 games...

JPhillips 03-08-2018 07:14 AM

Click through and read the whole thread. The KHL has been rigged and basically everyone knows it.

Fidatelo 03-08-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3197566)

Click through and read the whole thread. The KHL has been rigged and basically everyone knows it.

Wow that's pretty crazy stuff. Good job, Russia.

Fidatelo 03-13-2018 03:57 PM

Maple Leafs, have I ever told you how much I love you? Because I should have.

Down Goes Brown: Imagining the ideal 2017–18 NHL playoffs - Sportsnet.ca

Fidatelo 03-25-2018 10:10 PM

Jets clinch a playoff spot with a 5-4 shootout win over the Preds. If they can ever get healthy they could make a run. Best hockey team I've ever had the fortune to cheer for.

EagleFan 04-07-2018 02:13 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this. Sad story, thoughts go out to everyone affected by this.

Bus carrying Humboldt Broncos of Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League involved in fatal collision

MizzouRah 04-07-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3201432)
Wasn't sure where to put this. Sad story, thoughts go out to everyone affected by this.

Bus carrying Humboldt Broncos of Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League involved in fatal collision

Very sad. :(

Fidatelo 04-08-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 3201432)

Super terrible tragedy. Shades of the Swift Current Broncos losing 4 kids to a similar bus accident in the 80's.

Jets and Blackhawks paid tribute in a unique way (in addition to $25000 donations from each club): they played the whole game with all players using BRONCOS as their nameplate.

bob 04-09-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 3200360)
Jets clinch a playoff spot with a 5-4 shootout win over the Preds. If they can ever get healthy they could make a run. Best hockey team I've ever had the fortune to cheer for.

No personal offense, but i hope they get swept out of the playoffs and never make it back.

Fidatelo 04-09-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3201514)
No personal offense, but i hope they get swept out of the playoffs and never make it back.

No personal offense taken, but I hope you are super fuckin' wrong :p

BishopMVP 04-12-2018 08:31 PM

Didn't take long for the Leafs and Bruins to turn into a series with bad blood. I don't really watch regular season hockey, so I don't know if Kadri and Wingels have some history, but it sure looked like Kadri was mad the refs called him for hitting Wingels from behind the first time, so he decided to launch a hip check at a defenseless Wingels (who was on his knees facing the boards) the next time they were on the ice together. Weird, and he'll probably get Game 2 off to think about it.