Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Werewolf Games (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Werewolf CXXXI: Lone Wolf - Against the Darklords GAME OVER, EVERYBODY WINS (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=81241)

Abe Sargent 04-26-2011 09:34 AM

Werewolf CXXXI: Lone Wolf - Against the Darklords GAME OVER, EVERYBODY WINS

Today is the Feast of Fehmarn. This Feast is held annually, as a gathering for all of the Kai Lords. As part of the Feast, a variety of rituals and ceremonies are held in the order. You are all initiates who have been with the Order a year, and you show a lot of promise. During this year, you have learned three Kai Disciplines.

As part of the Feast of Fehmarn, you are to be presented to the entire Order as the newest Kai. While most of the rest of the Lords are dining at the Feast, you are in a temple some distance away, but still on the grounds. You are being cleaned, both physically and mentally, for presentation in the Ceremony of Cubs, to begin shortly. As you begin to finish your cleansing, you hear a sharp cry from above, and sounds of something unusual.

You leave the temple and spy flocks of Kraan descending on the Monastery, beyond the tree line and beyond your sight. Your group immediately begins to move towards the Monastery through the trees, and as you go, you run into a large organized troop of Giaks, moving to assault the Monastery. After some time, you manage to whittle their forces to very little, when the rest flee. Having made your way through ground troops, you begin to fear the worst.

Overhead, more Kraan fly in, led by Vordaks riding them. As you get close to the Monastery, you begin to see a large plume of smoke rising from it, and then fire. Hordes of Darklord minions are flocking around the area – Kraan, Vordaks, Giaks, and perhaps more.

Seeing the destruction of your entire order, you feel a sense of desperation that drowns your soul. However, your training has served you well, as each of your quickly dismiss morbid thinking. This was a major attack of unprecedented proportions. It must herald an attack on Summerlund herself. You need to retreat and regroup. If more Kai survived, then you can try to rally a defense. If not, then you can avenge them.

However, one obvious fact clouds everything. The date and time of the Feast of Fehmarn changes each year. Only the Kai know when it is held, it is a secret of the order. It looks like there was at least one traitor in the ranks, and perhaps more. The Darklords have many ways of penetrating defenses, including their most powerful minions, the shapeshifting Helghast. Taking out the Kai order is so important, that you know the Darklords would risk anything. Only the Kai Order has held back the Darklords these past centuries. Only the Kai Order’s own King Ulnar the First managed to actually kill a Darklord, Vashna, by the Maakengorge.

You were the backbone of the military and nation who kept the dark at bay for so long. Without your light, who knows what could befall the people of Summerlund and beyond. This is a dark time, but your duty has begun. Despite the fact that you distrust even your little band of initiates, knowing there could be traitors in your midst, you being to move on, and to plan.

“For Summerlund!”

Abe Sargent 04-26-2011 09:35 AM

In order to play this game you will need exactly ZERO knowledge of the Lone Wolf gamebooks. In fact, I will be posting the relevant game text later, so that everyone will have the same level of understanding. This highly unusual rules set should work better the more people sign up. Enjoy!

The Kai Initiates win if they take out all of the Agents of the Darklords. The Agents win if they get a 50-50 ratio or better with the Kai.

This is a 24 hour game day, due to my schedule. The day will end at 10 pm EST, or order to accommodate west coast folkses. You are to submit any night actions you may have, and vote in the thread for lynch, by 10 pm EST.

The schedule is certainly negotiable should it be the will of the group to run it earlier or later.

This is the hardest day to choose a start date and time, because if you start too soon, you won;t get enough people, but if you start too late, you may loose momentum. Nevertheless, we will be aiming for a start date of Sunday at 10 pm, EST, with the first day's deadline for both night and lynch at 10 pm EST on Monday night, May 2.

This is an experimental rules set, to see how things go. I think it's balanced and will be interesting, but it could really flop, you never know.

There are no roles. You will choose three Kai Disciplines that you have mastered. Below is the text from Flight from the Dark, about the Disciplines and what they do, normally, so everyone has that info. What they do in this game, however, is likely to be very different. Beyond the Disciplines, there are no additional rules in this game for the Kai Lords. None at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight from the Dark

Kai Disciplines

Over the centuries, the Kai monks have mastered the skills of the warrior. These skills are known as the Kai Disciplines, and they are taught to all Kai Lords. You have learnt only three of the skills listed below. The choice of which skills these are, is for you to make. As all of the Disciplines may be of use to you at some point on your perilous quest, pick your three with care. The correct use of a Discipline at the right time can save your life.

Camouflage

This Discipline enables a Kai Lord to blend in with his surroundings. In the countryside, he can hide undetected among trees and rocks and pass close to an enemy without being seen. In a town
or city, it enables him to look and sound like a native of that area, and can help him to find shelter or a safe hiding place.

Hunting

This skill ensures that a Kai Lord will never starve in the wild. He will always be able to hunt for food for himself except in areas of wasteland and desert. The skill also enables a Kai Lord to be able to move stealthily when stalking his prey.

Sixth Sense

This skill may warn a Kai Lord of imminent danger. It may also reveal the true purpose of a stranger or strange object encountered in your adventure.

Tracking

This skill enables a Kai Lord to make the correct choice of a path in the wild, to discover the location of a person or object in a town or city and to read the secrets of footprints or tracks.

Healing

This Discipline can be used to restore ENDURANCE points lost in combat. If you possess this skill you may restore 1 ENDURANCE point to your total for every numbered section of the book you pass through in which you are not involved in combat. (This is only to be used after your ENDURANCE has fallen below its original level.) Remember that your ENDURANCE cannot rise above its original level.

Weaponskill

Upon entering the Kai Monastery, each initiate is taught to master one type of weapon. If Weaponskill is to be one of your Kai Disciplines, pick a number in the usual way from the Random Number Table, and then find the corresponding weapon from the list below. This is the weapon in which you have skill. When you enter Flight from the Dark combat carrying this weapon, you add 2 points to your COMBAT
SKILL.

Mindshield

The Darklords and many of the evil creatures in their command have the ability to attack you using their Mindforce. The Kai Discipline of Mindshield prevents you from losing any ENDURANCE points when subjected to this form of attack.

Mindblast

This enables a Kai Lord to attack an enemy using the force of his mind. It can be used at the same time as normal combat weapons and adds two extra points to your COMBAT SKILL. Not all the creatures encountered on this adventure will be harmed by Mindblast. You will be told if a creature is immune.

Animal Kinship

This skill enables a Kai Lord to communicate with some animals and to be able to guess the intentions of others.

Mind Over Matter

Mastery of this Discipline enables a Kai Lord to move small objects with his powers of concentration.

You will select three of these disciplines and PM your list. You are NOT to discuss strategy or what you have picked or what you think they might do in the thread until the game has begun. Once we begin, I will post the game rules for the ten disciplines, so that everyone will know what they do in this game. Some will do things similar to what they do in the books. Some will do radically different things.

Please note, that some or all of the disciplines may do different things for Agents of the Darklords - Agents will still pick three disciplines for me, however.

What the Disciplines actually do will be posted here when ready.

In summation:

1). DO NOT discuss the disciplines here, in the thread, in any way until the game has begun. I don't want others to be influenced by you.
2). PM me your three Kai Discipline choices
3). There are no additional roles for any side, just the disciplines chosen.

The Kai Disciplines

Camouflage – You cannot be targeted at night by an Initiate with Weaponskill or Animal Kinship or Healing.

Hunting – Once, when you are about to be lynched, you will instead immediately take off into the forest for a short bit. You will emerge with a dead animal that will serve as a sacrifice in your stead. Therefore, you will not be lynched, and the person with the next most votes will instead be lynched.

Tracking When you are targeted at night by anyone, if you survive, you backtrack and can find out who. You won’t know why. This does not include Mind Over Matter, which does not target you, but your vote (and is not a Night Action).

Mindblast – If attacked at night by someone with Weaponskill, you will drive them off but not know who is what (unless they have Mindshield, in which case, you will die). If you are in a tie with someone else for a lynch, you will win and not be lynched, unless you both have Mindblast, or they have Mindshield.

Mindshield – You are immune to Mindblast and Sixth Sense.

Animal Kinship
– Your power of animals is so strong that once in the game, you may submit a night action to scan another player by having small animals spy on your target. You will know their side. You can use it again if it fails against a Camouflage person.

Mind over Matter – Once in the game, as a Lynch Action, you may manipulate someone’s vote to cast it against another person, instead of the one they had intended to vote for, by mentally changing the ballot. During the vote count, it will be revealed who voted for whom officially, so people will know the vote was manipulated, but not who did it.

Sixth Sense – At night, you may scan a person. If you do, then you will learn what three Disciplines they have. This is blocked by Mindshield

Weaponskill – Once, during the game, you may use a Night Action to attack someone. If they have no defense, then they die. If you have Weaponskill or Mindblast and are attacked by an Initiate using Weaponskill at night, you will survive. You will not know your assailant. Defense also includes someone who targeted you with Healing, or their own Weaponskill. You cannot hit someone with Camouflage at all, and if your Night Kill attempt fails, you may try again on future nights on other targets (or the same if you want). If you have not used your Night Kill successfully yet, then when you are lynched, you may choose to take someone with you.

Healing As a night action, you may target anyone other than yourself. That person is healed of any physical damage they took, and will not die. You may not target the same person in consecutive nights. Since you arrive after battle, you will not know who attacked, nor will the other side know who Healed. If you target an Agent, you will heal them just as well as you would an Initiate.

1. Autumn - Killed Night One, Kai Initiate

2. JAG - Killed Night Four, Kai
3. MrBug708
4. Thomkal - Lynched Day Two, Kai Initiate
5. bhlloy
6. Chief Rum
7. PackerFanatic - Lynched Day Four - Agent
8. Zinto
9. hoopsguy
10. Lathum
11. The Jackal
12. mckerney
13. CrimsonFox
14. Narcizo
15. Darth Vilus
16. Danny - Killed Night Three, Kai
17. DaddyTorgo - Lynched Day One, Agent
18. mauboy1
19. dwardzalla - Lynched Day Three, Agent

Autumn 04-26-2011 09:40 AM

I'm in, though I have no clue what Lone Wolf is.

JAG 04-26-2011 09:44 AM

My kai discipline of divination has revealed that JAG will join this game.

Good idea for a game setting, I'll be very interested to see the rules.

MrBug708 04-26-2011 09:50 AM

There was a customer who came around named Lone Wolf. Looked like a half Native American, half crazed hippy. Had the two most beautiful huskies that he would walk 8-10 miles a day.

In

Thomkal 04-26-2011 10:01 AM

I sense Excedrin Headache number #54 coming from this game, but that's a good one to have. So yes I will play.

JAG 04-26-2011 10:21 AM

Note my post above was just setting flavor as opposed to anything else (especially as it was posted before the rules were). Cool idea, I'll be interested to see how this goes.

Autumn 04-26-2011 10:29 AM

***psssst, wolves. JAG's the seer!****

bhlloy 04-26-2011 10:45 AM

Looks very interesting, I'm in

Autumn 04-26-2011 10:48 AM

To clarify, we will all pick our disciplines before we know if we're good or bad guys, right?

Chief Rum 04-26-2011 10:57 AM

Awesome. Loved the old Lone Wolf stuff. I'm in, although I might be unavailable for stretches late into next week (movign day aorund then).

PackerFanatic 04-26-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 2461002)
To clarify, we will all pick our disciplines before we know if we're good or bad guys, right?

Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

Never heard of Lone Wolf, but I am definitely in.

Zinto 04-26-2011 11:32 AM

Sounds cool. I am in.

hoopsguy 04-26-2011 11:42 AM

I'll play, and figure out how much/little time I get as next week gets closer. My suspicion is that most of next week will be brutal in terms of daytime participation but I hope to be able to make it up in evening hours with a 24 hour game.

Lathum 04-26-2011 11:42 AM

In

The Jackal 04-26-2011 12:02 PM

In, sounds interesting

mckerney 04-26-2011 12:22 PM

In.

CrimsonFox 04-26-2011 12:38 PM

Yes please. :)

Narcizo 04-26-2011 02:21 PM

ahhh! Lone Wolf - what you used to do before computers were readily available. Loved them then so this sounds like fun.

Insky.

Darth Vilus 04-26-2011 02:43 PM

in

Abe Sargent 04-26-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 2461002)

Correct. You pick your disciplines then find out who you are and what they do.

CrimsonFox 04-26-2011 03:22 PM

Do the discipline picks themselves have anything to do with good/bad side?

Abe Sargent 04-26-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 2461174)
Do the discipline picks themselves have anything to do with good/bad side?

Nope. I select Agents randomly.

CrimsonFox 04-27-2011 05:13 AM

Wait! I've figured this game out! There is only ONE wolf in it! :D

Danny 04-27-2011 08:39 AM

in

DaddyTorgo 04-27-2011 03:42 PM

damnit Abe...I'm in! :D

Autumn 04-27-2011 03:51 PM

Yay, Daddy Targo is in!

mauchow 04-27-2011 07:19 PM

In as #18.. my favorite number.

CrimsonFox 04-28-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauboy1 (Post 2461895)
In as #18.. my favorite number.

You're 18 and you like it? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNF2KNcRm-U

dwardzala 04-29-2011 07:28 AM

in - will pm disciplines tonight

Abe Sargent 04-29-2011 01:54 PM

Okay, I've got disciplines from 9 of you in my cool, nifty excel spreadsheet. I still need them from 10 of you. No rush, but we will be starting at 10 pm on Sunday night, so please get them to me soon. Thanks!

Darth Vilus 04-29-2011 02:36 PM

Bring it people!

JAG 04-30-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 2461503)
Wait! I've figured this game out! There is only ONE wolf in it! :D

I only just got this...I'm slow.

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 11:33 AM

As of right now, I have received Discipline selections from 12 of the 19 who have signed up. I still need selections from 7 of you in the next few hours. In a few hours, if you have not given me your selection, I will publicly post your name and try to humiliate you into giving me them. If you have not selected by 10 pm, then I will randomly assign you three, and we'll get going.

Narcizo 05-01-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abe Sargent (Post 2463447)
I will publicly post your name and try to humiliate you into giving me them.

:popcorn:

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 02:51 PM

The 7 who still have not sent me their PMs with their Kai Disciplines:

Chief Rum
hoopsguy
Lathum
The Jackal
mckerney
Danny
DaddyTorgo

You are the scum of the Earth, and the scrotum of America. You are so ugly that a messageboard is the only place you can get friends. Good luck with spawning, you miserable cretins. PM your disciplines before 10 pm tonight, and you can go from losing to winning.

Thomkal 05-01-2011 03:39 PM

For shame you Seven! I think we should vote them all out first! :)

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 08:43 PM

Due to me trying to fix my garbage disposal, tonight's beginning of the game will be delayed by roughly an hour. We have five of those seven now on the cool list. Two are still outstanding.

Lathum 05-01-2011 10:23 PM

arg, west coaster here, just got home

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 10:36 PM

What do the Kai Disciplines do???

Camouflage – You cannot be targeted at night by an Initiate with Weaponskill or Animal Kinship or Healing.

Hunting – Once, when you are about to be lynched, you will instead immediately take off into the forest for a short bit. You will emerge with a dead animal that will serve as a sacrifice in your stead. Therefore, you will not be lynched, and the person with the next most votes will instead be lynched.

Tracking When you are targeted at night by anyone, if you survive, you backtrack and can find out who. You won’t know why. This does not include Mind Over Matter, which does not target you, but your vote (and is not a Night Action).

Mindblast – If attacked at night by someone with Weaponskill, you will drive them off but not know who is what (unless they have Mindshield, in which case, you will die). If you are in a tie with someone else for a lynch, you will win and not be lynched, unless you both have Mindblast, or they have Mindshield.

Mindshield – You are immune to Mindblast and Sixth Sense.

Animal Kinship
– Your power of animals is so strong that once in the game, you may submit a night action to scan another player by having small animals spy on your target. You will know their side. You can use it again if it fails vs Camouflage.

Mind over Matter – Once in the game, as a Lynch Action, you may manipulate someone’s vote to cast it against another person, instead of the one they had intended to vote for, by mentally changing the ballot. During the vote count, it will be revealed who voted for whom officially, so people will know the vote was manipulated, but not who did it.

Sixth Sense – At night, you may scan a person. If you do, then you will learn what three Disciplines they have. This is blocked by Mindshield

Weaponskill – Once, during the game, you may use a Night Action to attack someone. If they have no defense, then they die. If you have Weaponskill or Mindblast and are attacked by an Initiate using Weaponskill at night, you will survive. You will not know your assailant. Defense also includes someone who targeted you with Healing, or their own Weaponskill. You cannot hit someone with Camouflage at all, and if your Night Kill attempt fails, you may try again on future nights on other targets (or the same if you want). If you have not used your Night Kill successfully yet, then when you are lynched, you may choose to take someone with you.

Healing As a night action, you may target anyone other than yourself. That person is healed of any physical damage they took, and will not die. You may not target the same person in consecutive nights. Since you arrive after battle, you will not know who attacked, nor will the other side know who Healed. If you target an Agent, you will heal them just as well as you would an Initiate.

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 10:37 PM

Remember, the Agents may have different uses for these powers, or they may work differently in completely different ways.

Autumn 05-01-2011 10:39 PM

Wow, I guessed really poorly about what the disciplines would do.

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 10:47 PM

As night falls on the darkest day of your order, you begin to camp. Some are given sentry duty, while others gather food and wood from the forest. Fire drives away the shadow, and exposes the mutual truths that underlie all inflammable things.

As the days leaves, you look around to discover one of your number missing! You were once 20, but now just 19. What happened to Sky Dog? His gear is still here, but no sign of him. You send out search parties, and one finds his body, torn, by the nearby stream. It must have happened very recently. This is further proof that somehow, the Agents of the Darklords have penetrated your assembly. Who? How?

They will soon realized that they may have underestimated your skill and determination. You are still Kai!

Day One ends at 10 pm EST on Monday. By that time, all votes must be cast and ALL NIGHT ACTIONS submitted. I will process all, then Day Two will begin. I am happy to accept conditional Night Orders (I will do X if Abe dies, but Y if he survives is perfectly fine)

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 10:49 PM

Rules Clarification, if you have multiple Disciplines that can be used in a night, you can only use one each night.

MrBug708 05-01-2011 10:52 PM

Are we supposed to have memorized what we put as our disciples? I thought it was a top 3 list and you would give us on? Or did I misread it?

DaddyTorgo 05-01-2011 10:53 PM

That's right...game on. Been walking for hunger and then lying here like a vegetable for the rest of the afternoon.

Abe Sargent 05-01-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2463755)
Are we supposed to have memorized what we put as our disciples? I thought it was a top 3 list and you would give us on? Or did I misread it?

You have all three. LMK by pm if you forgot an deleted your sent PM and I'll resend you your choice back so you know your three powers.