Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Baseball Text-Based Sims (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   OOTP 2008: What's the deal? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=62565)

Mike Lowe 12-12-2007 05:59 PM

OOTP 2008: What's the deal?

Thinking of purchasing the $5 update and am hesitant...not because of the $5 but because this game has been a TOTAL NIGHTMARE when trying to get something up that resembles a true MLB modern-day experience.

I'm a vet of OOTP but I'm wondering how solid this roster file which is now included is and how difficult all of this Cato stuff is etc. Logos and uniforms are even a bit tricky the last time I checked.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback as to how and get a modern day MLB league up and running with rosters, logos, uniforms, Cato history, and anything else I'm forgetting. Is there a league file not made by Cubby that is close to current rosters today?

Thanks!

Young Drachma 12-12-2007 06:35 PM

The boards over there have a few OOTP8 threads about this stuff...I didn't buy it because I wanted to support the team over there. I bought an upgrade copy today because my brother was curious about the game after watching me play for six months and so, I got that for him.

From what I see about OOTP8, it's no different than the other one. The roster file is okay from a basic perspective, but to me...it's not as complete as some of the other ones floating around there and it's surely not "ready to go" in that sense.

If you want a realistic experience of simming MLB-type players, PureSim is a much safer bet for you. I know it doesn't go as fast and for me, it wasn't flexible enough for the inevitable tinkering I do.

But...it's still the best option out there I think as an out of the box real rosters solution.

Balldog 12-12-2007 06:42 PM

Sounds like you are just paying for a patch.

I'm still playing OOTP 6 and enjoying it, I wish I could get some updated rosters though.

I find the newer versions too overwhelming.

MizzouRah 12-12-2007 07:04 PM

I haven't played in a long time, but isn't there an MLB all-in-one installer?

lighthousekeeper 12-12-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1613725)
From what I see about OOTP8, it's no different than the other one. The roster file is okay from a basic perspective, but to me...it's not as complete as some of the other ones floating around there and it's surely not "ready to go" in that sense..

What?! I've played with the roster file in beta and I find it to be very good. I was quite impressed with the roster file.

Mike Lowe 12-12-2007 09:08 PM

I wish the roster file was updated more than Jan 1st of 2007. Would be nice to have something for this year. I know some of the mods have this but those files are never complete and end up being a disaster over time.

lighthousekeeper 12-12-2007 09:12 PM

i know i haven't checked in a couple months, but last time i looked, all of the other roster files that were out there still suffered from the problem where the team history leaderboard didn't include any 2006 stats, but the ootp-included roster file doesn't have this problem.

WSR 12-13-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balldog (Post 1613731)
Sounds like you are just paying for a patch.

I'm still playing OOTP 6 and enjoying it, I wish I could get some updated rosters though.

Balldog - Have you played OOTP2007? It is very nice and user-friendly (IMO).

I haven't played the game in several months, so I don't see myself paying for the patch. However, I do appreciate Markus' (and Jim's!) efforts as text-sims get a lot of my limited playing time.

korme 12-13-2007 07:04 PM

So OOTP8 is already out? What the hell is the difference between 8 and 2007, besides 8 being just without SI?

Drake 12-13-2007 07:15 PM

Nothing significant, Shorty. Wait for OOTP9.

Comey 12-13-2007 07:46 PM

The big thing is, you're paying $7 for two more licenses, which, if you have multiple computers, is a great deal.

Rizon 12-13-2007 08:23 PM

I need to adjust my injury file to increase the likelihood of steriod use to about 90%. Make the game more realistic, you know.

MizzouRah 12-16-2007 10:24 AM

I might get this, heck for $7 why not?

highfiveoh 12-16-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1616830)
I might get this, heck for $6 why not?

Simply put - because it's OOTP.

MizzouRah 12-16-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfiveoh (Post 1616831)
Simply put - because it's OOTP.

I'm not a big fan of the interface, but it's a decent baseball sim.

jbergey22 12-16-2007 10:49 AM

The speed of OOTP8 is much better than OOTP2007. As for the rosters there is something currently not working correctly as many of the current day players have their defensive rating dropping off the chart within 3 years. I am sure it will be fixed quickly enough though.

Izulde 12-16-2007 11:48 AM

I tried OOTP 2K7 last night again.

Still hated the interface and got headaches from it.

General Mike 12-16-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balldog (Post 1613731)

Same here. I just don't have the same love for OOTP that I had for version 3, 4 or 5.

molson 12-16-2007 02:34 PM

I had fun with this game after I shut off everything that didn't work too well (Scouting, financials, farm teams, multiple leagues). Running just a small, fictional, old-timey league worked well.

So, is there ANYTHING new with this update?

Cork 12-16-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 1616864)
I tried OOTP 2K7 last night again.

Still hated the interface and got headaches from it.

How does one get headaches from an interface?

-Cork

lighthousekeeper 12-16-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cork (Post 1617294)

-Cork

By being a pussy.

Young Drachma 12-16-2007 11:07 PM

I don't understand how folks who love FOF can complain about OOTP's interface. That doesn't make any sense at all.

I mean, I can see where it's "too much" for somebody, but I can't see how the interface is so terrible. Except from a "I loved 6.5 because it looked like a game made by one guy versus the 07 interface which looks like it was done professionally, in spite of some of its flaws."

But then they need to say that. But to say that 6.5 was a better game defies all common sense to me. But to each their own, I guess.

PilotMan 12-16-2007 11:25 PM

2007 for me is the best baseball sim around. I still am not going to buy OOTP 8, simply because there just isn't enough here to spend my money on. I would rather put that money toward a new game like WMMA.

Marc Vaughan 12-17-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1617336)
I don't understand how folks who love FOF can complain about OOTP's interface. That doesn't make any sense at all.

I mean, I can see where it's "too much" for somebody, but I can't see how the interface is so terrible. Except from a "I loved 6.5 because it looked like a game made by one guy versus the 07 interface which looks like it was done professionally, in spite of some of its flaws."

But then they need to say that. But to say that 6.5 was a better game defies all common sense to me. But to each their own, I guess.

To be honest I think with all games its impossible to say someone is 'wrong' for not liking something.

I think with a lot of sims, some people have trouble* evolving with them as they gain in complexity and hark for the days when the games were simpler to pick up and play.

I've seen this with FM, EHM and OOTP to a greater or lesser degree. To partially 'get around' this with FM we developed Football Manager Handheld which is a throwback in some ways to the days of simpler games like CM01-02 and its been pretty well recieved and gained a niche following in its own right which is cool (not least because it lets me have fun helping with making it :D).

Its possible that for someone like Markus it might be worthwhile similarly having an OOTP-Lite version of the game which is somewhat simpler to understand, setup and play ... that way people can choose which one they'd prefer (or ideally for Markus buy both ;) ).

*By this I don't mean that people "can't" understand or play them - simply that they either don't have the time or inclination to immerse themselves to the extent required to play the game. Simply put in my earlier management sims like CM3 you could blast through seasons much much faster and without paying as much attention as is required by FM these days.

Izulde 12-17-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cork (Post 1617294)

-Cork

I have no idea... I just know after about 20 minutes, I start getting a major headache.

Buccaneer 12-17-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 1617361)
To be honest I think with all games its impossible to say someone is 'wrong' for not liking something.

I think with a lot of sims, some people have trouble* evolving with them as they gain in complexity and hark for the days when the games were simpler to pick up and play.

I've seen this with FM, EHM and OOTP to a greater or lesser degree. To partially 'get around' this with FM we developed Football Manager Handheld which is a throwback in some ways to the days of simpler games like CM01-02 and its been pretty well recieved and gained a niche following in its own right which is cool (not least because it lets me have fun helping with making it :D).

Its possible that for someone like Markus it might be worthwhile similarly having an OOTP-Lite version of the game which is somewhat simpler to understand, setup and play ... that way people can choose which one they'd prefer (or ideally for Markus buy both ;) ).

*By this I don't mean that people "can't" understand or play them - simply that they either don't have the time or inclination to immerse themselves to the extent required to play the game. Simply put in my earlier management sims like CM3 you could blast through seasons much much faster and without paying as much attention as is required by FM these days.

I think this would be especially pertinent to those of us that prefers to play historical leagues. It doesn't make sense to be a GM/coach in the 1950s as if you have all of the sabermetric resources of the 2000s. That doesn't mean it has to be "lite", for a different interface hides more stuff and forces you to be competitive based on the information you do have. A game can have a simpler interface yet be incredibly deep, like what they did for Civ4.

lighthousekeeper 12-17-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lowe (Post 1613706)
OOTP 2008: What's the deal?

I know. Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?!

Marc Vaughan 12-17-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

I think this would be especially pertinent to those of us that prefers to play historical leagues. It doesn't make sense to be a GM/coach in the 1950s as if you have all of the sabermetric resources of the 2000s. That doesn't mean it has to be "lite", for a different interface hides more stuff and forces you to be competitive based on the information you do have. A game can have a simpler interface yet be incredibly deep, like what they did for Civ4.
Thats pretty much what I meant to be honest - FMH isn't particularly 'lite' under the hood in many aspects but its presented to the user in a way which keeps things streamlined and easy to play as much as possible ...

RomaGoth 12-17-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizon (Post 1615077)
I need to adjust my injury file to increase the likelihood of steriod use to about 90%. Make the game more realistic, you know.

LOL. :D

RomaGoth 12-17-2007 09:43 AM

I bought OOTP 2007 about 2 weeks ago and tinkered with it a little bit. I had never played one before from that series, but I am finding the interface to be somewhat overwhelming. It seems to be a lot of information, and I found myself getting lost in no time. In addition, because of the time of year I am not that really interested in baseball at the moment. I played the Baseball Mogul games and enjoyed them.

molson 12-17-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1617426)
A game can have a simpler interface yet be incredibly deep, like what they did for Civ4.

Can we send a copy of this to every game developer?

It seems like sometimes programmers want to show off all the stuff that's in their game.

I think there's this addiction to features lists - I think they must get paid by the feature. It doesn't matter whether the "feature" works, or adds anything to the game, more is always better from their point of view.

RomaGoth 12-17-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1617486)
Can we send a copy of this to every game developer?

It seems like sometimes programmers want to show off all the stuff that's in their game.

I think there's this addiction to features lists - I think they must get paid by the feature. It doesn't matter whether the "feature" works, or adds anything to the game, more is always better from their point of view.

What a true statement!! I have found OOTP '07 to have way too many buttons for my taste. I have little experience with it as of yet, but it seems a little overwhelming so far....:confused:

markprior22 12-17-2007 10:13 AM

Not all games are for all people. I bought a copy of WWSM a year or two ago, tried it for a couple of hours and have never opened it again. I'm sure it is a terrific game as many call it the best sports text sim available. Just isn't for me though...I didn't know what to do...how to start, etc. I know that there are guides floating around that will walk you through most aspects but, for whatever reason, it wasn't worth the time for me. I play OOTP2007/OOTP8 all the time and love it. I play a MLB setup with fictional players. For my setup, it works great and I don't find it overwhelming at all.

Balldog 12-17-2007 10:33 AM

On a side not, anyone know when the Lehman database is usually released? I'm looking to start at 07 career, with OOTP 6 though.

RomaGoth 12-17-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markprior22 (Post 1617513)
Not all games are for all people. I bought a copy of WWSM a year or two ago, tried it for a couple of hours and have never opened it again. I'm sure it is a terrific game as many call it the best sports text sim available. Just isn't for me though...I didn't know what to do...how to start, etc. I know that there are guides floating around that will walk you through most aspects but, for whatever reason, it wasn't worth the time for me. I play OOTP2007/OOTP8 all the time and love it. I play a MLB setup with fictional players. For my setup, it works great and I don't find it overwhelming at all.

My problem with sports games is that I get bored waaaay too fast. I always have these great ideas of building a dynasty but barely get through one season before boredom sets in. It is the same thing week after week, season after season. I need to figure out a way to stay interested in these games I guess.

markprior22 12-17-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 1617570)
My problem with sports games is that I get bored waaaay too fast. I always have these great ideas of building a dynasty but barely get through one season before boredom sets in. It is the same thing week after week, season after season. I need to figure out a way to stay interested in these games I guess.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My problem is that I like to coach/manage games more than sim them so it takes me longer to get through seasons. I'm in 2011 of an OOTP career I started last March. I might be in 2013 or so by the time this March rolls around.

With many games, by the time I get through a season or two, I'm either bored or a new version of the game has come out that requires a restart or you miss many new features.

Izulde 12-17-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 1617570)

My longest-running sports dynasties have been historical ones for the most part.... Total Pro Basketball and FOF2K7.

RomaGoth 12-17-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markprior22 (Post 1617620)
Yeah, I know what you mean. My problem is that I like to coach/manage games more than sim them so it takes me longer to get through seasons. I'm in 2011 of an OOTP career I started last March. I might be in 2013 or so by the time this March rolls around.

With many games, by the time I get through a season or two, I'm either bored or a new version of the game has come out that requires a restart or you miss many new features.

I have EHM2007, FOF2007, FOFTCY, OOTP2007, Baseball Mogul 2008, & Football Mogul 2008. I have yet to really do anything serious with ANY of them so far. I get into a mood where I am interested in one particular sport, but by the time I get any serious season started in that game, I am completely bored with it (or an update/newer version comes out). So, then I decide to try something else. It is very difficult for me to go back and forth from one sport to another (i.e. FOF2007 and EHM2007). Does anyone have any idea on how to go back and forth without losing interest? I have this problem with non-sports games as well. For example, I became bored with Doom 3 and sold it because I ended up playing other games instead. I need to finish a game all the way through or I will probably not play it very much....:rolleyes:

molson 12-17-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 1617640)
I get into a mood where I am interested in one particular sport, but by the time I get any serious season started in that game, I am completely bored with it (or an update/newer version comes out).

I definitely had this issue, and was spending money on games I barely ended up playing.

I can't flip between sims, I'll just lose interest. I've been running a TEW dynasty since April, and have played zero other text sims since then. I haven't always been so consistent in updating the thing, but I always go back to it, because I haven't "strayed". (If I started playing FOF or OOTP again, I'd forget all about it).

This is a text-sim only phenomenon because of the "dynasty" element - one game lasting months, potentially. (I still fire up CIV IV, ect).

Not saying you're limited to one text sim a year, but if you're bouncing between games, I understand the problem. Pick a game, and pick what you want to do with it. (ie. 20 year career in FOF, then stick with FOF exclusively until you finish or get bored with it).

Buccaneer 12-17-2007 07:12 PM

There are only two text sims that I play: OOTP5 and FBCB. It was the latter that convinced me that a sports sim can be 'simple' but deep and very addictive. This is the opposite of 'deep' games like OOTP2007 and FOF where the philosophy is 'everything that can humanly be put on a screen'.

MizzouRah 12-17-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1617336)

Seriously, FOF's interface is SO SIMPLE compared to OOTP 8, it's not even close. I upgraded to support Markus, but it still feels like I'm doing a chore when navigating this thing vs 6.5.

I do think OOTP 8 is a MUCH, MUCH deeper game than 6.5 ever was.. but damn if there isn't information overload.