Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Dynasty Reports (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TCY Groupthink - North Carolina State Wolfpack (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=30466)

CraigSca 09-16-2004 02:12 PM

TCY Groupthink - North Carolina State Wolfpack

Per Quik's great idea, I unveil the lastest FOFC Groupthink - TCY Style!

Head Coach - Craigsca
Offensive Coordinator - Ravenshawk
Defensive Coordinator - MikeVick
Recruiting Coordinator - Vexroid
QB coach/scout -
Backs coach/scout -
Receivers coach/scout -
OL coach/scout -
DL coach/scout - Quiksand
LB coach/scout -
DB coach/scout -
Special Teams coach/scout -
Scouting Team (scouts the upcoming opponent):

Next on waiting list: No one

We have a number of things to work out:

Do we have regional recruiters, or just our 2 coordinators?
Which type of team do we want? Bad team in a good conference (my personal fave)? Good team/good conf? Bad team/bad conf? Let's determine the type of team first, then we can determine the actual team.
Playoffs or bowls? (no preference here)
Any house rules? (1 visit, 1 phone call per week per recruit? No scholarship offer until 1 week after initial visit?)

Btw, I will be running a CLEAN program here. We will not be bribing people to come to our illustrious school.

Input, please! :)

Huckleberry 09-16-2004 02:17 PM

What about splitting the RC's jobs up in terms of in-state vs. out-of-state recruits? Just a thought if we're going to have two.

JeeberD 09-16-2004 02:20 PM

You guys have got to run UTEP. You just got to... :)

Coffee Warlord 09-16-2004 02:21 PM

UNLV! Let's debauch and run a college team at the same time!

QuikSand 09-16-2004 02:24 PM

I have no particular preference in terms of schools -- using a Sol-8 school has the drawback of seeing the players get mislabeled when explorting to FOF, if that's an issue for us, so I think that's probably not our best option.

albionmoonlight 09-16-2004 02:25 PM

When you are picking a team, don't forget to consider where the Sol 8 will be (in your state, banished to Alaska, or something in between)? Should it have flavor (be renamed to be the Ivy League, etc.) or be ignored?

Balldog 09-16-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigSca
Btw, I will be running a CLEAN program here. We will not be bribing people to come to our illustrious school.

Screw this, I quit. j/k

I prefer Bowl Games, just because it is realistic. Even though I think the NCAA Bowl systems sucks ass.

How is UConn compared to the other Big East schools to start with?

sachmo71 09-16-2004 02:30 PM

Harvard!

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 02:30 PM

We could always try N.C. State, as I mentioned in another thread...

Huckleberry 09-16-2004 02:32 PM

I vote for Texas. :D

Coffee Warlord 09-16-2004 02:33 PM

Air Force?

Huckleberry 09-16-2004 02:34 PM

I actually thought of Air Force. If it were purely my choice, I would go with the Falcons.

Coffee Warlord 09-16-2004 02:40 PM

AF gives us the added bonus of getting to beat up on Colorado State every year. Must kill CSU!

Huckleberry 09-16-2004 02:41 PM

Although I really wish that the academies had unlimited scholarships. You know, we could just let in all the players over the limit on commissions into the academy. wink, wink.

WSUCougar 09-16-2004 02:41 PM

Air Force would be very cool.

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 02:52 PM

I'd be concerned about degree of difficult (or lack thereof, more accurately) with Air Force. Utah usually does well, but the rest in their conference are mediocre or worse. Without some fairly stringent house rules, I'd fear we'll be winning all non-Utah conference games by 30 points after a while.

MikeVick7 09-16-2004 02:55 PM

Kansas? Vanderbilt? Northwestern?

Raven Hawk 09-16-2004 02:58 PM

I like the idea of NC State as mentioned by The Dark Jedi in another post. With a group think, I don't want our challenge to be easy. NC State provides a good challenge for recruiting players as well as a tough division.

Wolfpack gets my vote.

MikeVick7 09-16-2004 03:15 PM

NC State...in my Duke dynasty...is actually a pretty decent team. We would definitely be over .500 in year one. Do we want a worse team? Or is this what we're looking for?

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVick7
NC State...in my Duke dynasty...is actually a pretty decent team. We would definitely be over .500 in year one. Do we want a worse team? Or is this what we're looking for?

Was your Duke dynasty with 1.3? In 1.3 they have to play Ohio State, Miami (FL), FSU, Va. Tech, Maryland and Tech in year 1. Hard to say "definitely over .500" with those guys on the schedule.

mckerney 09-16-2004 03:20 PM

I'm interested in taking the special teams tasks if it's not filled.

Coffee Warlord 09-16-2004 03:21 PM

Upon considering, I'm pulling for any not very good team in a conference that has a championship game ('just for more games/fun)

mckerney 09-16-2004 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Upon considering, I'm pulling for any not very good team in a conference that has a championship game ('just for more games/fun)

Baylor.

JeeberD 09-16-2004 03:22 PM

Can I be your punter's coach, MC?

Raven Hawk 09-16-2004 03:22 PM

I'd prefer not to start with a scrub team, especially if we are playing at All-Star level, which we should be. Group thinks tend to take more time than a dynasty that you are running on your own. I'm not quite sure what our goals would be as far as completing seasons, considering we want input from all of our coaches.

With that said, we'd be spending a lot of real time at the bottom, even if it wouldn't be a lot of game time.

MikeVick7 09-16-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyDog
Was your Duke dynasty with 1.3? In 1.3 they have to play Ohio State, Miami (FL), FSU, Va. Tech, Maryland and Tech in year 1. Hard to say "definitely over .500" with those guys on the schedule.

That is an excellent point. No mine was on an older version. But we'll definitely have some talent to work with. So we won't look as bad a coaching staff. :)

Balldog 09-16-2004 03:35 PM

BCS Conferences and Prestige (for your viewing pleasure)

Code:

Team                        Conf        Prestige
Miami of Florida        ACC        97
Florida State                ACC        96
Virginia Tech                ACC        86
Clemson                        ACC        85
Maryland                ACC        82
Georgia Tech                ACC        80
North Carolina State        ACC        80
Virginia                ACC        79
Wake Forest                ACC        72
North Carolina                ACC        71
Duke                        ACC        66

Michigan                B10        97
Ohio State                B10        94
Penn State                B10        88
Wisconsin                B10        86
Iowa                        B10        83
Purdue                        B10        83
Michigan State                B10        81
Illinois                B10        79
Minnesota                B10        77
Northwestern                B10        72
Indiana                        B10        70

Oklahoma                B12        97
Nebraska                B12        92
Texas                        B12        92
Kansas State                B12        85
Texas A&M                B12        85
Colorado                B12        81
Texas Tech                B12        77
Iowa State                B12        75
Missouri                B12        75
Oklahoma State                B12        75
Baylor                        B12        67
Kansas                        B12        66

Boston College                BEA        79
Pittsburgh                BEA        78
Syracuse                BEA        77
West Virginia                BEA        76
Temple                        BEA        66
Connecticut                BEA        66
Rutgers                        BEA        64

South Bend                IND        87

Southern California        PAC        92
California-Los Angeles        PAC        88
Oregon                        PAC        85
Washington                PAC        84
Washington State        PAC        82
Oregon State                PAC        81
Arizona State                PAC        78
California                PAC        77
Stanford                PAC        76
Arizona                        PAC        74

Georgia                        SEC        93
Florida                        SEC        92
Tennessee                SEC        90
Louisiana State                SEC        90
Alabama                        SEC        87
Auburn                        SEC        85
South Carolina                SEC        81
Arkansas                SEC        79
Mississippi                SEC        78
Kentucky                SEC        72
Vanderbilt                SEC        70
Mississippi State        SEC        70

Balldog 09-16-2004 03:36 PM

I'm open to any team, except Michigan.

Coffee Warlord 09-16-2004 03:38 PM

Colorado anyone?

Be a fun storyline, too. After all the bad press, the brain trust was fired, and a group of miscreants came in to run the show.

Raven Hawk 09-16-2004 03:48 PM

I think anybody with a prestige of 77-83 playing in one of the major conferences works for me.

Therefore, I would support a choice of Colorado.

Maybe we should just create a poll. :D

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 03:53 PM

Doesn't Colorado, being in the Southwest, have easier access to the "mother lode" of recruits in California? The other thing I like about NC State is that there are plenty of schools nearby that trump them in Academics and/or Prestige.

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 03:54 PM

IRL, the Head Coach (CraigSca) takes a job at a school and gets to hire his staff (us). I'd be game for that.

albionmoonlight 09-16-2004 03:58 PM

The academics may make it too easy, but Vanderbilt also seems to fit most of that for which people are looking.

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
The academics may make it too easy, but Vanderbilt also seems to fit most of that for which people are looking.

A benefit of that is that we might get a better handle on the changes in academics in 1.3.

Raven Hawk 09-16-2004 04:02 PM

CraigSca has heard from the peanut gallery, he can either choose to listen to us or ignore us either way. He should make the decision.

MikeVick7 09-16-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
CraigSca has heard from the peanut gallery, he can either choose to listen to us or ignore us either way. He should make the decision.

Well if that's the case then...we're headed on over to Maryland.

larrymcg421 09-16-2004 04:34 PM

I'll go ahead and be the Special Teams Coach.

JeeberD 09-16-2004 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421
I'll go ahead and be the Special Teams Coach.

Position filled...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney
I'm interested in taking the special teams tasks if it's not filled.

CraigSca 09-16-2004 05:50 PM

Actually, Icy would have dibs on special teams coach if he wants it (as he asked to be included in the group think earlier in the day), but I kind of left it open as I'm not sure what a special teams coach would do in TCY. If Icy wants the position, it's his, however.

I'll think about the school to pick in a little bit, though I will give a lot of careful consideration to your picks. I'd prefer a less than middle of the pack team in a good conference, so there's room to grow but something that won't take us 6 years to get going.

As far as Sol-8 is concerned, I'm leaning towards sticking it in Alaska and renaming the teams to represent the Ivy League. I've always had internal objections to playing against what I consider to be "odd" named schools like Barrow, Juneau and Kodiak. Let me know if there are any objections to this.

atatange1 09-16-2004 06:10 PM

I'd like to see you guy's go with a tournament at the end of the season instead of BCS. I think it would add more fun and pressure for you guys instead of worrying about one bowl game. Just a thought.

Raven Hawk 09-16-2004 06:32 PM

If we were looking to divide the Recruiting Coordinator position, we could divide it into Offensive and Defensive Recruiting Coordinators. Just a thought.

CraigSca 09-16-2004 06:36 PM

I was thinking that as well, Raven. It's the easiest way to divide recruits since the game uses states for searching as opposed to regions.

CraigSca 09-16-2004 06:53 PM

Ok - it seems I've received a few phone calls regarding my availability to coach a college football team this year. As I have no experience coaching any team on any level, I'm at least a little surprised by this. However, I've made arrangements with an agent and we're currently speaking to a few teams about taking over their program. Also, I told my agent that it's an absolute PRIORITY that I bring my entire coaching staff with me to the new school (which is kind of odd considering I have a full coaching staff picked, yet have no experience in running a program).

I've left some feelers out there and here are the offers I've received:

Oklahoma State University - Prestige of 75, Ranked #10 of 12 in conference

Advantages: great natural rivalries with instant underdog role, tough recruiting region, conference championship game, mediocre academics (#70), in the Big 12 south, so they face Texas and Oklahoma

Disadvantages: Access to a recruiting region with a large player pool (Texas)

Ole Miss - Prestige of 78, Ranked #9 of 12 in conference

Advantages: Tough recruiting region, tough conference, conference championship game, awful academic rating, in the SEC south, so they face LSU, Alabama and Auburn

Disadvantages: maybe their academics are too awful (#116)?

North Carolina State - Prestige of 80, ranked #7 of 11 in conference

Advantages: Tough conference, tough recruiting region, academics are pretty good (#51), but not so good that we can use it to our advantage

Disadvantages: Maybe they start off too good?

Let me know if you have any preferences, though I promise to make my decision quickly.

Raven Hawk 09-16-2004 06:59 PM

Here are my preferences:

1. NC State
2. OSU
3. Ole Miss

Coffee Warlord 09-16-2004 07:00 PM

Any of the three are fine. Depends on how tough you wanna make it, with those three teams.

If I had to rank em, in order of preference...

NC State, Ole Miss, OK State.

Ben E Lou 09-16-2004 07:03 PM

As I've said, I have a good feeling about NC State. Their decent academic rating might look good, but with Duke, Carolina and Wake right there, Vandy not far away, and the toning down in 1.3, I think it'll be tough to recruit based on academics. Further, I have a feeling that the Prestige will drop before it rises. That year 1 schedule is TOUGH.

EDIT: My ranking would be NC State, Ole Miss, Ok. State

Balldog 09-16-2004 07:22 PM

1. Ole Miss
2. NC State
3. OK State

cthomer5000 09-16-2004 07:25 PM

Ole Miss, NC State, OK State are my preferences

TredWel 09-16-2004 07:47 PM

I see Ole Miss as being a very good challenge. NC State would be tough as well. I guess that means my preferences are:

1. Ole Miss
2. NC State
3. OK State

WSUCougar 09-16-2004 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
Here are my preferences:

1. NC State
2. OSU
3. Ole Miss

Ditto.