Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

RainMaker 07-20-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronconick (Post 3339894)
Damn, just how much of a hit did Hannity's stock portfolio take today for him to suddenly come out in support of vaccines???

He's just hedging. The show also featured a segment about someone who lost feeling in her legs for a couple weeks when they got a different vaccine back in 2019. Also a segment on how mandating vaccines at private businesses is horrible.

He doesn't deserve any praise. Same dude, just a hedge for when he costs thousands of more lives he can say "see I supported it!".

Lathum 07-20-2021 03:32 PM

boy you hate to see it....

Edward64 07-20-2021 11:14 PM

Apparently Fauci gave Paul a piece of his mind.

The video ends when Paul tells Paul he is lying. Have to look for what happened next and Paul's reaction.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-lying-vpx.cnn

PilotMan 07-21-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3339939)
Apparently Fauci gave Paul a piece of his mind.

The video ends when Paul tells Paul he is lying. Have to look for what happened next and Paul's reaction.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-lying-vpx.cnn

Not quite how it plays on the extreme right:

ALERT: Did Rand Paul Just Destroy Dr. Fauci’s Career?
Yesterday’s Senate hearing with Dr. Fauci got really interesting when Rand Paul called out the leading expert on COVID for his repeated lies about gain of function research.

The Senator pointed out that it’s a crime to lie to Congress and gave Fauci a chance to retract his previous statements.
That’s when things got really interesting…

albionmoonlight 07-21-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3339916)

The thing is, I do hate to see it. Preventable death is a tragedy. I totally understand the "she got what she wanted" view of it.

But, IMO, every life is a gift from God. And every unnecessarily lost life is a lost gift.

Ghost Econ 07-21-2021 09:16 AM

Not sure if they just don't test in the South anymore, but I've had three separate parents take their kids in over the past 2 weeks for respiratory symptoms to different doctors and none were tested for COVID. All were told walking pneumonia is going around and they were given antibiotics.

I know of a few doctors offices here that are hydroxychoriquine devotees or "COVID isn't that bad" types, but maybe it's more prevalent than I assumed.

cuervo72 07-21-2021 09:18 AM

I wonder to what extent even doctors in some areas just don't think kids can actually get COVID.

Kodos 07-21-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3339978)
The thing is, I do hate to see it. Preventable death is a tragedy. I totally understand the "she got what she wanted" view of it.

But, IMO, every life is a from God. And every unnecessarily lost life is a lost gift.

Yep. I get the whole pleasure at seeing someone who actively spread misinformation to the detriment of others pay for their mistake, but I really wish we could all get out of the mindset where the other side has to lose for me to win. Of course, the Trump side makes it hard because they can never admit they were wrong about anything and willingly accept lies as truth. I freely admit that a story like this would have made me smile a year ago. But now I really just want people to be civil to each other again.

Lathum 07-21-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3339978)

But, IMO, every life is a gift from God. And every unnecessarily lost life is a lost gift.

I agree to an extent, but how many lives are potentially saved because she can't spout her nonsense anymore?

Lathum 07-21-2021 11:56 AM

Heartbreaking but illustrates the point that these peoples deaths could save others lives

‘I’m sorry, but it’s too late’: Alabama doctor on treating unvaccinated, dying COVID patients - al.com

PilotMan 07-21-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3339988)
I agree to an extent, but how many lives are potentially saved because she can't spout her nonsense anymore?

One less vote. Keep it up.

{edit: and I agree, I don't want to see people suffer, but when the right has weaponized stupidity it's hard to have that much sympathy}

molson 07-21-2021 12:03 PM

The older I get, the more empathy I have for people dealing with unfair shit in the world, and the more humor I find in dead people who deserved it and make the world a better place with their absence. I'm not sure that's healthy or not. But that's what I'm experiencing.

Edit: But I admire people who feel and show compassion for all regardless of their deeds.

cuervo72 07-21-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3339989)
Heartbreaking but illustrates the point that these peoples deaths could save others lives

‘I’m sorry, but it’s too late’: Alabama doctor on treating unvaccinated, dying COVID patients - al.com

“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine.”

The level of ignorance is amazing.

cuervo72 07-21-2021 12:07 PM

The thing is, if all of a sudden those of us who were vaccinated started to get sick from the vaccine, I don't believe for a minute the unvaccinated would feel bad at all for us.

Lathum 07-21-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3339992)
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine.”

The level of ignorance is amazing.

That and the last part about seeing something on Facebook, the news ( AKA Fox, OANN, etc...) and not talking to their doctor.

Lathum 07-21-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3339993)
The thing is, if all of a sudden those of us who were vaccinated started to get sick from the vaccine, I don't believe for a minute the unvaccinated would feel bad at all for us.

They would be taking victory laps....

molson 07-21-2021 12:37 PM

My social media is pretty much quarantined from crazies, except for the odd discussion or two I see in the neighborhood Facebook group, and the comments in the legit site news articles when I have the stomach/curiosity to enter those.

I saw one post about how dangerous vaccines are (in the comments of a legit news article), and someone asked why there aren't any legit news articles about that? The poster responded that she went to look for the ones she had seen before but Facebook had "censored" them all. It occurred to me that these people literally aren't able to tell the difference between a troll post, and say, a KTVB news post (the major local news network in town). The poster wasn't herself consciously trolling, she was just truly ignorant about now information on the internet works. I GUESS I should feel sad for people like that when they get COVID and die, but, how much of that on her end is just willful ignorance, a refusal to be open to reality because of a conscious choice to follow the inaccurate, hateful voices online.

miami_fan 07-21-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Econ (Post 3339979)
Not sure if they just don't test in the South anymore, but I've had three separate parents take their kids in over the past 2 weeks for respiratory symptoms to different doctors and none were tested for COVID. All were told walking pneumonia is going around and they were given antibiotics.

I know of a few doctors offices here that are hydroxychoriquine devotees or "COVID isn't that bad" types, but maybe it's more prevalent than I assumed.

My son had flu like symptoms last month and we were offered a COVID test along with one for Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection. He tested negative for both and a week later he got his first dose of the vaccine. So it could be the doctors aren't offering, the parents are not accepting, or both.

albionmoonlight 07-21-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3339999)
My social media is pretty much quarantined from crazies, except for the odd discussion or two I see in the neighborhood Facebook group, and the comments in the legit site news articles when I have the stomach/curiosity to enter those.

I saw one post about how dangerous vaccines are (in the comments of a legit news article), and someone asked why there aren't any legit news articles about that? The poster responded that she went to look for the ones she had seen before but Facebook had "censored" them all. It occurred to me that these people literally aren't able to tell the difference between a troll post, and say, a KTVB news post (the major local news network in town). The poster wasn't herself consciously trolling, she was just truly ignorant about now information on the internet works. I GUESS I should feel sad for people like that when they get COVID and die, but, how much of that on her end is just willful ignorance, a refusal to be open to reality because of a conscious choice to follow the inaccurate, hateful voices online.

I'm glad that facebook is trying to tag the most egregious misinformation (about vaccines and other things). It isn't going to stop the true believers (I've seen them starting to point to the tag as evidence that facebook is "compromised.") But I think that there are a LOT of low-information people out there. And the harder it is for the lies to reach them, the better.

albionmoonlight 07-21-2021 07:05 PM

So what is behind the clearly coordinated GOP push for vaccines over the last few days? Secret calls from mega donors worried about the economy? Really bad internal polling? Something happened, and I am painfully curious to know what it was.

PilotMan 07-21-2021 07:07 PM

I would think it comes down to something really simple like "anti vax polls terribly".

MrBug708 07-21-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3339804)
Not sure where we are with allowing younger kids to get vaccinated but sounds like they should hurry up.

Are Covid hospitalizations still "free" or are they now regular deductible-insurance?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/18/healt...day/index.html

My COVID hospitalization cost me nearly 1,000 dollars and this was back in early December.

Brian Swartz 07-21-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan
I would think it comes down to something really simple like "anti vax polls terribly".

That's not new though. It polled terribly six months ago also.

Lathum 07-21-2021 08:36 PM

I suspect they realize they are already losing massive amounts of voters, and not really gaining many new ones, and they can't afford the attrition.

tarcone 07-21-2021 08:37 PM

Just found out only one guest can help my daughter move into her sorority in August. The University is in a new hot spot in Missouri. The virus is moving up the Interstate I live on. It is quickly approaching St. Louis county.
Get your damn vaccinations.

Edward64 07-21-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3340042)
My COVID hospitalization cost me nearly 1,000 dollars and this was back in early December.

So they billed your medical insurance and the $1k was your deductible?

Edward64 07-21-2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3340041)

My guess is Delta. More infectious. Maybe not as deadly overall to the un-vaccinated but still deadly enough.

BYU 14 07-21-2021 11:32 PM

Just found out my friends wife passed away from Covid at the age of 47. He contracted it and gave it to her, she went to the hospital as she was struggling to breath, they found blood clots in her lung and she was gone within an hour.

We played Softball together and held down the left side of the infield for years, Fernie never missed a game and always had such a zest for life. I am just fucking speechless right now. Last time I talked to him they had just celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary about a month back. :(

Brian Swartz 07-22-2021 02:34 AM

:(. Horrible news BYU, very sorry to hear about that.

GrantDawg 07-22-2021 05:49 AM

man, that is rough BYU

Edward64 07-22-2021 06:19 AM

Disappointed he would take this stance. Hope MSM has a field day with him that selfish SOB.

Eric Clapton says he will cancel shows at venues that require COVID vaccination
Quote:

Eric Clapton said Wednesday he will not perform at venues that require their guests to have a COVID-19 vaccine.

The legendary singer and guitarist’s statement comes two days after United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson said vaccine passports will be mandatory at crowded venues beginning in September, The Guardian reported.

“Following the PM’s announcement on Monday the 19th of July, 2021, I feel honor bound to make an announcement of my own: I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present,” Clapton said in a statement. “Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show.”

Clapton’s statement included a link to “Stand and Deliver,” his anti-lockdown song with Van Morrison, according to Rolling Stone.

Clapton said earlier this year he had severe reactions for 10 days after getting the first AstraZeneca vaccine. He proceeded to get the second vaccine, with results he called “disastrous.”

“My hands and feet were either frozen, numb or burning, and pretty much useless for two weeks, I feared I would never play again, (I suffer with peripheral neuropathy and should never have gone near the needle.),” Rolling Stone reported. “But the propaganda said the vaccine was safe for everyone…”

Clapton’s next scheduled concert is Sept. 13 in Fort Worth, Texas. He does not have any concerts scheduled in England until May 2022.

Vaccine passports are not mandatory at most music venues in the United States, though some acts have performed in front of vaccinated-only crowds.

miami_fan 07-22-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3340050)
I suspect they realize they are already losing massive amounts of voters, and not really gaining many new ones, and they can't afford the attrition.

I don't know about massive amounts but I agree with the gist of this. At some point, encouraging/suggesting/implying people not take the vaccine begins to carry diminishing returns. I know we like to generalize but GOP voters are getting the vaccine. So what is the point of carrying on this narrative of not getting it? I think they have moved on to making the argument that the vaccine should not be mandatory and that no one should have to say whether they are vaccinated or not. Everyone can still act like rebels who will not succumb to that fascist Biden regime while secretly knowing that they have protected themselves. Win/win.

cuervo72 07-22-2021 10:35 AM

Ugh.

molson 07-22-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3340070)
Disappointed he would take this stance. Hope MSM has a field day with him that selfish SOB.

Consumed 8 tons of cocaine over a lifetime, afraid of a vaccine.

thesloppy 07-22-2021 11:31 AM

Other comments Eric Clapton has made regarding 'discriminated audiences':

Lathum 07-22-2021 12:08 PM

I live in a very red part of NJ, lots of Trump flags, etc...once the mask mandate was lifted you hardly saw one. I have noticed the last week or so a lot more people wearing them again in stores, etc...Guess the Delta variant is freaking people out.

HerRealName 07-22-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesloppy (Post 3340106)

Holy shit, I didn't know The Wall was based off of Clapton.

RainMaker 07-22-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3340107)
I live in a very red part of NJ, lots of Trump flags, etc...once the mask mandate was lifted you hardly saw one. I have noticed the last week or so a lot more people wearing them again in stores, etc...Guess the Delta variant is freaking people out.

When they dropped the mask mandate here, it was a slow crawl as people removed them. Now I'd say 90% don't use masks at the store.

But I'm in an area that is heavily vaccinated and doesn't have a lot of case because of it. So I think people feel safer.

NobodyHere 07-22-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Is there a source for this?

sovereignstar v2 07-22-2021 12:25 PM

Is your google broke? That shit is well-known.

Ryche 07-22-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3339916)

Ugh, this sounds way too much like my mother-in-law although at least she just sticks to spouting this stuff on Facebook. She really has no clue just how at risk she is.

Mota 07-22-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3339999)

Some guy on Reddit was trying to convince me that highly vaccinated regions are breeding grounds for new COVID variants. Okay then why have all the variants come from areas where there are low vaccination rates? People are crazy...

RainMaker 07-22-2021 12:50 PM

Yeah, Clapton is a miserable human. He admitted to being a rapist back in the 90's too.

BYU 14 07-22-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Where the hell did he post this nonsense at?

sovereignstar v2 07-22-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3340138)
Where the hell did he post this nonsense at?

He said it in front of a crowd at a concert in Birmingham during the 70s.

JPhillips 07-22-2021 09:58 PM

Hannity making sure we all know he's never told anyone to get the vaccine.

BYU 14 07-22-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3340139)
He said it in front of a crowd at a concert in Birmingham during the 70s.

Geez-O, I have never heard that before, what an absolute piece of shit

Kodos 07-22-2021 11:47 PM

Snopes has a long article on it. Clapton has only recently shown even a little regret about what he said.

thesloppy 07-22-2021 11:58 PM

I feel like it gets underplayed that dude released a hit record based on stealing his best friend's wife.

molson 07-23-2021 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3340165)
Geez-O

Underrated expression right there.