Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fun stat about coaching tenures (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96248)

albionmoonlight 11-13-2019 11:47 AM

fun stat about coaching tenures

Saw this on another board:

Across the 4 major sports, of the last 123 championships, only 1 was won by a coach NOT in the first 5 years of his tenure (or a repeat winner). The only exception is Bill Cowher, who got to the Super Bowl in year 4, but did not win it until years later.

It seems crazy, but I guess when you factor in repeat players (Popovich, Belichick, etc.) and the fact that most coaches get fired within five years if they don't bring home the bacon, this makes a bit more sense

Bobble 11-13-2019 02:13 PM

So, it is basically saying that almost everyone who has won a championship has gotten their first within 5 years. Not that nearly every championship has been won by a guy who has been there less than 5 years.

NobodyHere 11-13-2019 02:40 PM

So Dallas should just fire Jason Garret right now?

JonInMiddleGA 11-13-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3256285)
So Dallas should just fire Jason Garret right now?

This isn't the worst idea I've ever heard ;)

molson 11-13-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobble (Post 3256281)
So, it is basically saying that almost everyone who has won a championship has gotten their first within 5 years. Not that nearly every championship has been won by a guy who has been there less than 5 years.

I think teams also overestimate their odds of winning it all and fire coaches to settle for a worse choice.

If a coach gets you close, odds are the next coach won't increase your odds of a championship. Getting close takes skill but winning it all also takes a lot of luck

albionmoonlight 11-13-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3256292)
I think teams also overestimate their odds of winning it all and fire coaches to settle for a worse choice.

Yeah. Ron Rivera is a good example. I think that he's an above average coach. He went 15-1 and made the Super Bowl. I think that the Panthers were smart not to fire him b/c he didn't win it when he got there.

Or what if the Browns had stuck with Belichick?

JonInMiddleGA 11-13-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3256297)
Yeah. Ron Rivera is a good example. I think that he's an above average coach. He went 15-1 and made the Super Bowl. I think that the Panthers were smart not to fire him b/c he didn't win it when he got there.

I almost mentioned him as a prime candidate for this very stat actual, but in the opposite direction.

Since that SB, 29-28 with only one playoff appearance and zero playoff wins.

If anything he looks more & more like the reason you should move on.

albionmoonlight 11-13-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3256317)
I almost mentioned him as a prime candidate for this very stat actual, but in the opposite direction.

Hmm. Didn't know about those numbers. I would have guessed a lot better

cuervo72 11-13-2019 07:26 PM

ping: Andy Reid

molson 11-13-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

But presumably they weren't going to fire him after going 15-1 and going to the Super Bowl. So the soonest they'd get rid of him was after going 6-10 the next year. (which would be very aggressive). Since THEN, they've gone 23-18 with a fading, and now absent, Cam Newton. What are the odds that someone they brought in would have done better than that with that team? I guess it's possible. I'd say less than 50% though. I don't think they've left a super bowl on the table or anything.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding 11-13-2019 09:26 PM

So I guess this is the past 30 years? It would be interesting to see the list of coaches who won after 5 years other than Cowher.

can anyone think of any?

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding 11-13-2019 09:28 PM

The first name that came to mind is Dean Smith, but I suppose that doesn't count for this exercise since it is college.

Maple Leafs 11-13-2019 09:54 PM

Al Arbour was seven years in as Islanders coach when the dynasty began. (Sather was in year eight in Edmonton, but three of those were WHA so I guess he still counts.)

JonInMiddleGA 11-13-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 3256359)
Al Arbour was seven years in as Islanders coach when the dynasty began. (Sather was in year eight in Edmonton, but three of those were WHA so I guess he still counts.)

But that was 39 years ago when it began, so outside the time frame.

JonInMiddleGA 11-13-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3256353)
But presumably they weren't going to fire him after going 15-1 and going to the Super Bowl. So the soonest they'd get rid of him was after going 6-10 the next year. (which would be very aggressive). Since THEN, they've gone 23-18 with a fading, and now absent, Cam Newton. What are the odds that someone they brought in would have done better than that with that team? I guess it's possible. I'd say less than 50% though. I don't think they've left a super bowl on the table or anything.

Per the tenure stat, basically, if he was going to win one then he'd have won that one shot. The slide that has followed has been in line with 3 decades worth of outcomes.

It doesn't necessarily say "you'll win one if you change" but it says "you won't win one if you don't"

albionmoonlight 12-02-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Yeah. I think that the last few weeks have pulled me solidly into your camp on this one.

I think that he could still do well with a fresh start somewhere. But the Panthers' tenure should (and almost certainly will) come to an end after this season.

QuikSand 12-02-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding (Post 3256355)
So I guess this is the past 30 years? It would be interesting to see the list of coaches who won after 5 years other than Cowher.

can anyone think of any?

Don Shula won his first title in year six with Baltimore

henry296 12-02-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3257984)
Don Shula won his first title in year six with Baltimore

Chuck Noll was year 6 for the Steelers as well.

Carman Bulldog 12-02-2019 05:10 PM

But both outside of 30 years. This only goes back to what, 88-90?

I'm more interested on the breakdown of how many of these winning coaches are experienced (ie. have coached another team in the league) as opposed to new coaches. It might be close to an even split.

In the NFL, Kubiak, Coughlin, and Carroll come to mind as the former while Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Payton come to mind as the latter.

NobodyHere 12-02-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog (Post 3258054)
But both outside of 30 years. This only goes back to what, 88-90?

I'm more interested on the breakdown of how many of these winning coaches are experienced (ie. have coached another team in the league) as opposed to new coaches. It might be close to an even split.

In the NFL, Kubiak, Coughlin, and Carroll come to mind as the former while Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Payton come to mind as the latter.

Throw Dungy in with the experienced coaches.

Atocep 02-02-2020 09:07 PM

Add Andy Reid?

Young Drachma 02-03-2020 12:54 PM

GMs so trigger happy now with firing coaches, nobody gets that Jeff Fisher deal where you can just be bad forever or build a team and get lucky over time. So it's a lot of coaches taking over teams and getting to benefit from someone else's infrastructure.