Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Werewolf Games (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Werewolf IV - River of Darkness (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=40392)

Peregrine 07-03-2005 04:25 PM

Werewolf IV - River of Darkness

The village of River's Edge is located in an area of steep mountains, icy rivers, and dark forests. It's on the edge of the civilized areas, as north from the village is little but trackless mountains and forest occupied by monsters, outlaws, and the occasional tiny settlement of foresters. To the south across the river is the two day journey to the nearest large town. The springtime floods hit the village hard, as the southern river floods almost every year and blocks access to the south for weeks at a time. Currently the floodwaters are subsiding a little, but continued rain and mountain thaw keep the river well over its banks and flooding the road, making access to the south impossible. It is expected that the road will clear in a week or so, perhaps a little less. Most of the population of the village went south before the floods, to trade and find work around the prosperous town.

The village has long heard the rumors about the evil cult of magicians somewhere to the north, and in fact some in the village have done well in providing supplies to their isolated cliffside compound. Though many knew or suspected that the magicians, who call themselves the Dark Pact, were up to no good, no harm had ever come to the village from them. Recently, however, disturbances from that area of the mountains have been hard to hide, it is said that vast magical destruction has been wreaked, with whole forests falling to ash and some of the few roads in the area blasted to ruin. It is not known what has sparked the destruction, however quiet whispers now say that some of the magicians have infiltrated the village, though their purpose is unknown. Some of the villagers believe quite strongly that they are evil, while others are unsure. Around the same time, mysterious deaths were reported in the village area, for the first time in many years. Disappearances were reported, but also corpses were found, some seemed to have no obvious cause of death but others were mauled as if by animals.

Many in the village wanted to flee the place and escape south, but the flooded river has made that impossible. Most of the people now huddle in their houses and wait to see what will happen next, though there is a growing anger and desire to find and kill those responsible for the deaths. The only hopeful sign for the village is that there are rumors that men loyal to the King have come to the town in secret, knights sent to protect the town and investigate what is happening. Whether or not that is true no one knows. The town has always been a magical place, and if strangers have come they have taken the shapes of villagers you have known all your lives. Will the mysterious deaths continue? Will the villagers act to protect themselves? Will anyone leave the village alive or will you all be swallowed by the River of Darkness?

Peregrine 07-03-2005 04:25 PM

Most of the rules are the same as the last game, however there are some differences. If there are any questions about the rules, please ask, I may have missed something. Also note that some of the groups have special rules that will be revealed to them via PM.

Warning - These are rules that I have made up and are more complicated than most games of werewolf, so I'm not sure how it will play out or whether it will be perfectly balanced. Hopefully I will be able to improve the rules based on the outcome of this game. I'm particularly unsure about the Ghosts rule, while I want people to be able to stay involved, it may prove unbalancing, we'll see. I also expect this to be a fairly quick and violent game, with lots of deaths, so be prepared.

Communications

You will be notified at the start of the game if you are allowed to PM any other players and who. If you don't hear otherwise, secret communication between any players is prohibited.

Missing Players

If a player has missed two votes in a row he will be removed and replaced by an alternate at the moderator's discretion.

Secret Roles

Obviously I am not revealing the specifics of any role, suffice it to say every character will have a role, however some are passive abilities and some are active. As appropriate, in my day/night turn descriptions I will try to give at least an idea of what happened if an unexpected result occurred. Also I will in some cases notify players about what happened. For example if there is a role or roles that can prevent an attack from occurring at night, usually the attackers will have some idea of what stopped them, unlike the last game. Other actions may not be explained until the end of the game.

Role Revelation

Roles are not revealed on death in this game. During the night turn, there are roles that can view one of the people that died the day before and learn his faction or role. There are some roles that may be functionally revealed by changes after a death (note the Ghosts rule below) but there will only rarely be a moderator announcement to reveal any role. At the end of the game all roles are revealed.

Timing

The two phases will be in the order of Day 1 - Night 1 - Day 2 - Night 2. Note that this is the reverse of how it was in the last game. The game will start with Night 0, which will include certain night actions but not all of them, I will inform everyone individually at the start of the game. The game will end at the end of Day 6, at that point the survivors, if any, can leave the village and victory will be totalled up.

Victory Conditions

Each group in the village has specific victory conditions in this game. You will be notified of your victory conditions via PM at the beginning of the game. It's very possible for more than one group to win this game! There will be the potential for each group to score a major or a minor victory.

Night Actions

There are a LOT of night actions in this game. The deadline for telling me what you want to do is midnight eastern. If you know you can't make that deadline, send something in earlier, even during the day. Conditional actions (View X, or view Y if X was lynched) are allowed. Anyone who misses the deadline will miss that action.

Voting

Please put your votes in bold. If you change your vote, use UNVOTE X, VOTE Y so there is no confusion, please do not edit your voting posts. The deadline for all votes to be in is 8 pm Eastern. If there is a tie in the lynch voting, there will not be a lynch that day. If you will not be available at the deadline make sure to place your vote earlier in the day!

Ghosts

The village you are in is extremely magical, and ghosts of people that die here seem attracted to it. There is one villager role who can intensify the ghostly essences, to the extent that they can communicate with the village in a limited way. While that villager is alive, ghosts can continue to vote for the daily lynching, however they cannot communicate in any other way. Also keep in mind that while some ghosts continue to vote as they would in life, to support their group or the village, others are angry at those that killed them, particularly the lynched ones, and they may vote to take revenge on those that killed them, innocent or not. Other ghosts may vote chaotically. If the villager who strengthens the ghosts is killed, they will be unable to vote after that point.

Since ghosts are allowed to vote, it is extremely important that players who have been killed not post any kind of speculation or theories about what's going on in the game.

Day 1 will start on Tuesday. Night 0 actions may be returned to me any time before 9 am Eastern on Tuesday morning.

Peregrine 07-03-2005 04:26 PM

Here is the player list as it stands now. If you are on this list and are NOT able to play, please let me know ASAP. Also I will need a couple of volunteers as alternates.

kingfc22 07-03-2005 04:51 PM

I'll be an alt

Desnudo 07-03-2005 04:53 PM

People who have not posted yet:

Eaglesfan27
ntndeacon
BrianD
Airhog
TazFTW
Fonzie
Qwikshot
Jeff061
SirFozzie
Barkeep49
KevinNU7
Swaggs
Nomyths
Jon
Tigercat
Lathum

The spotlight is on you!

Eaglesfan27 07-03-2005 05:02 PM

ROFL :)

As I just told Peregrine via PM, Weds through Friday I'll be working a new job and might not have internet access for those few days during the work day (the government can be slow processing paperwork to get me internet access.) However, I'll be home by 5:00PM (give or take a few minutes of traffic) central time each day. I'll also be checking this thread in the early morning before work each day. So, I think that will be plenty of time to read everything, post, stir up some hysteria, and hopefully hang some werewolves.

Hopefully, I don't need to be excluded due to this, but would understand if Peregrine does do this.

Edit to clarify: My work day will be about 8:00 AM til about 5:00 PM Central time those on Wed-Fri.

Barkeep49 07-03-2005 05:02 PM

This village used to be such a nice place I tell you! First the mysterious disappearences and now the flood? I think things are clear! God is sending us a message! We must all repent and repent now before the evil infects us any further.

Buccaneer 07-03-2005 05:03 PM

Fascinating set of rules but perhaps will make it a little harder for non-participants to follow since we really won't know anything (since roles are not revealed) of what goes on behind the scene.

Joe 07-03-2005 05:06 PM

you sons of bitches are all werewolves!

ntndeacon 07-03-2005 05:08 PM

no it is the magicians that are killing us not the werewolves!

TazFTW 07-03-2005 05:26 PM

It is the ghosts' fault.

SirFozzie 07-03-2005 05:27 PM

Blame Canada

Tigercat 07-03-2005 05:36 PM

Would werewolf taste like human or like chinese food meat? And would you want to boil it before grilling it?

Peregrine 07-03-2005 05:42 PM

Quote:

Fascinating set of rules but perhaps will make it a little harder for non-participants to follow since we really won't know anything (since roles are not revealed) of what goes on behind the scene.

Yes, this is definitely true. Of course even the players won't know everything that's going on. I'm going to be making my daily updates more extensive and more story like so hopefully that will give spectators more to go on.

Also NoMyths has said he can't play.

Ragone 07-03-2005 05:51 PM

i'll be an alt :)

I'm on vacation for 2 weeks.. so this is likely the only game i'll be able to get in on :)

heybrad 07-03-2005 06:36 PM

Just curious if you didnt get my response or somehow I didnt meet the criteria.

Desnudo 07-03-2005 06:43 PM

Hey, Brad

Fouts 07-03-2005 06:44 PM

I am available, should you need more people.

Peregrine 07-03-2005 06:45 PM

No, heybrad, Kwhit is going to be running another game and has you on his list, I just PMed you about it before we decided how we were going to do it.

heybrad 07-03-2005 06:47 PM

Alrighty then.

Peregrine 07-03-2005 06:48 PM

Most of the people on the list will be able to play, the ones I haven't heard from in this post or elsewhere are Fonzie, Qwikshot, Kevin (who is gone through Tuesday,) Swaggs, and Jon. I think most of them will be able to do it though. Once I get a good list I'll start sending out PMs with roles and such.

Qwikshot 07-03-2005 07:04 PM

I'm in (trouble).

jeff061 07-03-2005 09:05 PM

I'm all set and looking forward to my first big game.

Here's to a first night lynching.

Swaggs 07-03-2005 11:26 PM

Looking forward to it.

Peregrine 07-04-2005 03:23 AM

I haven't heard from Jon or Fonzie but I think they will be in. Also I have replaced NoMyths with Kwhit by previous agreement. Our alternates for any future replacements are kingfc22, Ragone, and Fouts.

I'm really not trying to screw the new people in this game, I just want to have a solid playtesting group. My next game will be more open to all, perhaps all new people.

I will start to PM out the roles to people tonight and during the day Monday. PM me if you have any questions, I will include in the PM whether you have a Night 0 role or not, if not, just sit tight until Tuesday morning. If you do, try to get it to me by 9 am Tuesday.

Peregrine 07-04-2005 05:56 AM

I've PMed everyone with their role information, let me know if you have questions. We still have a day to go before the game starts but players with Night 0 actions can notify me at any time.

I hope everyone has fun!

Lathum 07-04-2005 08:26 AM

Interesting new twists. Did you get this idea from watching The Smurfs ?

Peregrine 07-04-2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Interesting new twists. Did you get this idea from watching The Smurfs ?

I sure hope not! ;)

BrianD 07-04-2005 09:54 AM

Interesting twist with the ghosts. I'm curious to see how that will work. It looks like the ghosts have to stay silent, but they can vote? Does that mean that can't post reasons for votes, or do they have to PM you their votes?

Peregrine 07-04-2005 10:13 AM

The way I will try to handle it is that they can post their vote, but not post about their speculations or why they are voting. I'm not sure if it will work out at all, but I think it will be a force for chaos. Ghosts can vote however they want and some may just be motivated by revenge, and it's not like you can reason with them. It's just an experiment to see if dead players can still have a role in the game without disrupting everything.

Peregrine 07-04-2005 10:37 AM

Final player list barring any more dropouts:

Eaglesfan27
ntndeacon
BrianD
Airhog
TazFTW
Desnudo
Fonzie
Qwikshot
Jeff061
SirFozzie
Barkeep49
KevinNU7
Swaggs
Kwhit
Jon
Tigercat
Lathum

Alternates - kingfc22, Ragone, and Fouts

Fonzie 07-04-2005 07:48 PM

I'm in! I was out of town over the weekend - sorry for the delay.

Peregrine 07-04-2005 11:23 PM

Make sure to get any night 0 actions in by 9 am eastern.

Peregrine 07-05-2005 03:57 AM

The morning dawns foggy and with a bit of a chill, but starts warming quickly, it looks to be an unusually hot spring day, with the occasional rainstorm. The village is quiet today, its normal noises of merchants plying their trade, animal sounds, and people talking are strangely muted. The strange events lately have those few people left in the village worried, and when they talk it is hushed, people congregate at the corner of the church and in the tavern to share the latest speculation. The flooded river has forced some residents to move already, and now worse has apparently come to the village.

The quiet is broken by a frantic scream, then shouts from the edge of town, many people head over there to hear the latest news; bad of course. An older couple who lived quietly in a small house on the edge of town have become the latest victims, torn apart, it is said, by things that can't possibly be human. The murmurs of talk become shouts as the morning wears on, and people start to gather in the town square. The fear in the air is crystallizing into anger, and there will be blood today.

Day 1

Eaglesfan27
ntndeacon
BrianD
Airhog
TazFTW
Desnudo
Fonzie
Qwikshot
Jeff061
SirFozzie
Barkeep49
KevinNU7
Swaggs
Kwhit
Jon
Tigercat
Lathum

Please have your votes in by 8 pm Eastern.

BrianD 07-05-2005 08:53 AM

Wow, quiet morning so far. Anyone want to come right out and say they are a werewolf? Get us started on the right foot? :)

Lathum 07-05-2005 09:00 AM

I've learned my lesson. I will be gone most of the day, please don't speculate :)

Barkeep49 07-05-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianD
Wow, quiet morning so far. Anyone want to come right out and say they are a werewolf? Get us started on the right foot? :)

Well, I am not willing to say that I am anything but a villager of this previously wonderful town. Our town is now beseiged by an evil presence. Let's band together and seek absolution, by killing evil, before God brings down any more wrath upon this village of ours. For now I have no one to accuse, but will be watching closely for this evil presence to reveal him, or her, self.

Fonzie 07-05-2005 10:25 AM

My proposal: have each member of the village place one hand in a black top hat. Those who pull out rabbits are obviously magicians and must be lynched.

Whad'ya say?

jeff061 07-05-2005 10:32 AM

Pure genius.

NoMyths 07-05-2005 10:51 AM

I'm a werewolf.

Just choosing to chow down in a different village, where nobody's paranoid and drunk. Good eatin', yo.

Swaggs 07-05-2005 10:59 AM

Alright Duke, time to out yourself and get the show on the road! :)

Fonzie 07-05-2005 11:07 AM

Would somebody please say something that the rest of us can latch onto and use as an excuse to lynch you? Pretty please?

Tigercat 07-05-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fonzie
Would somebody please say something that the rest of us can latch onto and use as an excuse to lynch you? Pretty please?

does this count?:

Quote:

:D

BrianD 07-05-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Aha, you are looking for an "excuse" to lynch someone. If you were really a villager, you'd want a "reason" to lynch someone. Since you are looking for an "excuse", you must be a wolf. :)

Qwikshot 07-05-2005 11:24 AM

I have a meeting today at work...I'll be out most of the day.

Lathum 07-05-2005 11:39 AM

I have a question? If we kill a magician do we know he was a magician?

Eaglesfan27 07-05-2005 11:46 AM

Hmmm, I think it is time to gather some weapons to kill a werewolf tonight.

Barkeep49 07-05-2005 11:47 AM

We don't find out anyone's roles.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rules
Roles are not revealed on death in this game. During the night turn, there are roles that can view one of the people that died the day before and learn his faction or role. There are some roles that may be functionally revealed by changes after a death (note the Ghosts rule below) but there will only rarely be a moderator announcement to reveal any role. At the end of the game all roles are revealed.

Fonzie 07-05-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigercat
does this count?:

:D

I was afraid of that. ;)

Desnudo 07-05-2005 12:00 PM

I am here to notify people that I am here.