Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2020(1) Tokyo Olympics (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97516)

GrantDawg 07-02-2021 11:25 AM

2020(1) Tokyo Olympics

As the Olympics approach, I figured I would start a thread. The big controversy going in right now is that Sha’Carri Richardson is not going to be allowed to run for the 100 meters because she failed a drug test due to cannabis. It is a little ridiculous they still ban pot, but on the flip the allowable amount suggests she would have literally had to have smoked pot the day of the race to fail the test. That's pretty dumb.

Breeze 07-02-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3338733)
As the Olympics approach, I figured I would start a thread. The big controversy going in right now is that Sha’Carri Richardson is not going to be allowed to run for the 100 meters because she failed a drug test due to cannabis. It is a little ridiculous they still ban pot, but on the flip the allowable amount suggests she would have literally had to have smoked pot the day of the race to fail the test. That's pretty dumb.

Extremely dumb, knowing if you win you are automatically tested.

sovereignstar v2 07-02-2021 12:25 PM

BYU 14 07-02-2021 12:37 PM

Agree on both points, stupid it is still banned, but she made a choice knowing she would be tested and you can't assume you didn't smoke enough to exceed the threshold, which is pretty high.

Sad, she was set to become a national sweetheart, and she still put herself in that position.

larrymcg421 07-02-2021 12:38 PM

Interestingly, part of the problem here is the US selection criteria. Richardson's suspension will expire before the Olympics. The reason she can't compete in the 100m is that the positive test will mean she gets DQ'd for her trials performance. In the US, the only way to make the team is to make top 3 at the trials.

Most other countries have a mixed selection process, where they keep a spot open for someone who may be injured or just has an off day during the trials. 4 years ago, Usain Bolt was injured during the Jamaican trials and unable to compete. Under the US system, he would've missed the Olympics, but Jamaica was able to select him and thus send their best team. If the US had the same system, they could still select Shacarri for one of the three spots and send a much better team than they will now.

JonInMiddleGA 07-02-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3338733)
That's pretty dumb.

She's made a good case for being geologically dumb.

Edward64 07-11-2021 07:21 PM

I feel sorry for Japan.

What would've have been a great celebration and boost for the entire country is now "let's get it over with and put us out of our misery".

GrantDawg 07-19-2021 09:01 AM

Several people have tested positive for Covid in the Olympic village already. The biggest US name stratch so far is CoCo Gauff on the tennis team. One of the Women's Gymnastic team has also tested positive, but she has not been identified other than she is an alternate. It had to be devastating to put so much into preparing for the Olympics only to get sick right before it starts.

cuervo72 07-19-2021 09:31 AM

I keep reading this thread title and thinking someone downloaded the 2020 file twice.

BYU 14 07-19-2021 10:44 AM

Man these positive tests already suck and with an event of this magnitude, sadly it is only going to get worse. I feel for both Japan and all the athletes and I was really looking forward to these Olympics too.

miami_fan 07-19-2021 11:07 AM

I hope once the competition starts, I will really get into the Olympics. Right now I have no interest at all.

tarcone 07-19-2021 11:35 AM

Its a shit show already and Toyota has pulled advertising from the games.

On another note, I watched the 5000m womens race today. A girl I saw run several times in HS was leading the pack until about 5 laps left. It was fun to see. She ended up out of the top 10, so I imagine she was the rabbit. till really cool.

tarcone 07-19-2021 08:43 PM

Just talked to my oldest daughter about seeing Werner on TV. I asked if she remembered her and she was like "oof, I hated that girl." just because she was so dominant. And she didnt finish in the top 10. Makes me think of the latest trend going on about dudes who think they have friends in their rec leagues that coul play in the NBA.

QuikSand 07-20-2021 08:12 PM

Already saw floated the "cancel the whole thing" as a live idea on the four-letter network. Suggests to me it's a live idea.

Hope not.

sabotai 07-20-2021 08:35 PM

I didn't realize HGTV was so concerned with the Olympics. TIL.

JPhillips 07-20-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3339926)
Already saw floated the "cancel the whole thing" as a live idea on the four-letter network. Suggests to me it's a live idea.

Hope not.

Sounds like, "We're not Not cancelling the games."

Butter 07-20-2021 10:47 PM

Games have already started, so if they haven't done it by now it would be real stupid to allow these preliminary softball and soccer matches to go on just to cancel the competition.

Butter 07-20-2021 10:48 PM

Italy / USA softball on NBCSN right now. Zero hits for either team through 3 innings

GrantDawg 07-21-2021 05:51 AM

US Women's soccer team just got stomped by Sweden 3-0.

Butter 07-21-2021 07:16 AM

This was the first result that reminded me to turn my notifications off on my phone lest I get a barrage of spoilers over the next couple of weeks for already completed events from the middle of the night

Ksyrup 07-21-2021 07:52 AM

USA softball won thanks to the old-timers in the circle. Not going to beat Japan by scoring 2 runs against Italy. The softball team make-up is interesting - lots of older players who the coach believes deserve one more chance to compete in the Olympics because it's not been an Olympic sport since 2008. In reality, especially among hitters, many great young hitters were left off the squad.

cuervo72 07-21-2021 08:35 AM

I didn't even realize softball/baseball were back in the Olympics.

sovereignstar v2 07-21-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3339974)

Looks to be temporary, at least for now. Neither will be in the 2024 Olympics.

Ghost Econ 07-21-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3339966)
US Women's soccer team just got stomped by Sweden 3-0.

If Twitter is to be believed, it's because they kneel and hate America.

Ghost Econ 07-21-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3339972)
USA softball won thanks to the old-timers in the circle. Not going to beat Japan by scoring 2 runs against Italy. The softball team make-up is interesting - lots of older players who the coach believes deserve one more chance to compete in the Olympics because it's not been an Olympic sport since 2008. In reality, especially among hitters, many great young hitters were left off the squad.

I kinda feel like it's the same with the women's soccer team as well. Like they deserve another shot instead of just playing up and comers.

Ksyrup 07-21-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

It's based solely on the fact that Japan loves baseball and softball. There's a legit pro softball league in Japan that many Americans play in.

It got shut down after Beijing Games for political reasons. We are too good, basically. Barring a stunning collapse, US and Japan will be 1-2, it's just a matter of which one beats the other for the gold.

miami_fan 07-21-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3339971)
This was the first result that reminded me to turn my notifications off on my phone lest I get a barrage of spoilers over the next couple of weeks for already completed events from the middle of the night

Do we have an etiquette for these things any more?

There was a time where Olympic spoiler were a huge deal on FOFC.

MIJB#19 07-21-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Japan was allowed to pick a couple of sports as gimmicks additions and they chose one that's popular over there. In a non-COVID-19 universe, this could have been an attendance hit (which it probably wouldn't be in Paris).

MIJB#19 07-21-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3339985)
It's based solely on the fact that Japan loves baseball and softball. There's a legit pro softball league in Japan that many Americans play in.

It got shut down after Beijing Games for political reasons. We are too good, basically. Barring a stunning collapse, US and Japan will be 1-2, it's just a matter of which one beats the other for the gold.

The USA has won 1 gold medal in baseball. Japan's best effort has been a silver. There's no track record to support that "too good" statement. The MLB not wanting to have their own sport be part of the Olympics is what got baseball voted out, which was quite unique, there must have been a lot of bad blood. It's silly enough to see what the (male) soccer world was and still is doing with sending third tier players, baseball was even worse. The way the Olympics are evolving into being a stage for the best of the best to compete in (read: including professionals), these 'medal events' just don't belong in this megaevent. Main difference with soccer: the soccer world doesn't need the Olympics to promote itself, it has its own mega event. But baseball isn't a global sport at all. To promote itself, it could embrace the biggest stage they can get on. I've probably said this before here (like 5 years ago, or 9, or 13): learn from the NBA.

Softball is a very different story, I bet it's too niche. Here, your USA/Japan domination statement certainly holds up. But in Tokyo'20/21, it's a 50% chance to win at least a bronze medal as only 6 teams are participating. It used to be 8 teams, which was quite small already.

Ksyrup 07-21-2021 06:15 PM

Yeah, I'm talking mainly about softball. I don't really care about international baseball. Since US pro softball leagues suck, college is the peak for the sport here so international play is a big deal. Especially since so many recognizable US college stars play on rosters all over the world. The Italian reliever in the US game who got out of the bases loaded jam will be a freshmen at UK this coming year. Australia's best pitcher Gabby Plain is a dominant pitcher for Washington. Mexico's team is basically a college all-star team from like 2014 to present.

There's certainly more at play on the baseball side in terms of shutting down the pro leagues to play in the Olympics. It's not important enough. Theoretically they could do softball and another men's sport if they really wanted to have softball in the games, which it should be. I don't know that there's any reason baseball and softball have to be tied together.

Butter 07-21-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3340000)
Do we have an etiquette for these things any more?

There was a time where Olympic spoiler were a huge deal on FOFC.

I'm cool with them here, as I choose to click on it. But it's just ESPN pushing notifications to me about random shit I want to avoid

Edward64 07-21-2021 09:59 PM

Not the Olympics but somewhat related.

I guess rules are rules but this seems to be a rule that needs changing. Wonder what the Olympics handball uniform rules are.

Norway Women's Beach Handball Team Fined For Not Wearing Bikini Bottoms : NPR
Quote:

Athletes on the Norwegian women's beach handball team are being punished for wearing shorts rather than bikini bottoms during a recent game, with the European Handball Federation leveling fines over "a case of improper clothing."

The federation's disciplinary commission imposed a fine of 150 euros per player (around $175) on the 10-member squad. In a joint statement with the International Handball Federation, the officials said that "all efforts will be taken in order to further promote the sport. This includes the ideal presentation of the sport and, by that, includes the outfit of the players."

Ksyrup 07-22-2021 06:20 AM

Wow. I don't even know what beach handball is (I assume ping pong without paddles on a volleyball court?), but they might as well just do a swimsuit photo shoot with the women pretending to hit an invisible ball back and forth. To promote the sport, of course.

Ksyrup 07-22-2021 06:27 AM

I can't wait to see how they explain this. Women's bottoms can't cover more than 10cm on any side. Meanwhile, the guys wear...

tarcone 07-22-2021 09:01 AM

LOL. That picture is pretty funny. The double standards are crazy. Same for Volleyball. I think the argument for girls/women wearing spandex is to avoid the net, but the men wear shorts that are not tight.

JPhillips 07-22-2021 09:10 AM

There was also the female para-Olympian that was punished for wearing shorts considered too revealing.

MIJB#19 07-22-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3340031)
Yeah, I'm talking mainly about softball. I don't really care about international baseball. Since US pro softball leagues suck, college is the peak for the sport here so international play is a big deal. Especially since so many recognizable US college stars play on rosters all over the world. The Italian reliever in the US game who got out of the bases loaded jam will be a freshmen at UK this coming year. Australia's best pitcher Gabby Plain is a dominant pitcher for Washington. Mexico's team is basically a college all-star team from like 2014 to present.

There's certainly more at play on the baseball side in terms of shutting down the pro leagues to play in the Olympics. It's not important enough. Theoretically they could do softball and another men's sport if they really wanted to have softball in the games, which it should be. I don't know that there's any reason baseball and softball have to be tied together.

The IOC should kick baseball and male soccer out and just leave the female variants of both. Sure, possibly less spectacular to watch, but at least the best in the world will try to show up in those two events.

Thomkal 07-23-2021 01:08 PM

This seems the right spot to mention that the Tokyo 2021 Olympics Game is fee to play this weekend on Steam. Not sure what sports are on it, or if any of it is any good, but maybe it will help you get in the Olympic spirit. :)

MIJB#19 07-23-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3340245)
This seems the right spot to mention that the Tokyo 2021 Olympics Game is fee to play this weekend on Steam. Not sure what sports are on it, or if any of it is any good, but maybe it will help you get in the Olympic spirit. :)

Does it also include random COVID-19 infections that immediately eliminate you from the entire event?

Thomkal 07-23-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIJB#19 (Post 3340257)
Does it also include random COVID-19 infections that immediately eliminate you from the entire event?

Only if you don't wear a mask

NobodyHere 07-23-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3340245)

Can I play it while wearing a bikini bottom?

Thomkal 07-23-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3340264)
Can I play it while wearing a bikini bottom?

Only if you are gay :)

Ghost Econ 07-23-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3340272)
Only if you are gay :)

I think you mean only if they're patriotic undies.

Edward64 07-24-2021 07:44 AM

Watched the replay of the opening ceremonies. Pretty underwhelming without a large, large crowd and the noise.

They are still calling it the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, better IMO to call it 2021 so it'll always be remembered as "that" Olympics in 50 years.

Vince, Pt. II 07-24-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3340096)
There was also the female para-Olympian that was punished for wearing shorts considered too revealing.

Not that it's any better, but I think an official just made a comment on her attire, she wasn't punished for it.

The double-standard is gross and needs to go away.

GrantDawg 07-24-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 3340314)
Not that it's any better, but I think an official just made a comment on her attire, she wasn't punished for it.

The double-standard is gross and needs to go away.

Amen. As long as the outfit doesn't convey an unfair athletic advantage, an competitor should wear what they compete best in. Or, if the women have to wear it then men do as well.

miami_fan 07-24-2021 12:14 PM

The 3 on 3 basketball looked I watched this morning was far more intense than I expected it to be.

JPhillips 07-24-2021 03:44 PM

This Russian gymnast competing after tearing his Achilles IN APRIL is freaking nuts.

cuervo72 07-24-2021 04:13 PM

I didn't know whether they were introducing the US men's gymnastic team or the TMNT.

NobodyHere 07-24-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3340353)
I didn't know whether they were introducing the US men's gymnastic team or the TMNT.