Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOF MP Commish Resources (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Little Things Commishes Should Know (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=65629)

sovereignstar 06-04-2008 11:38 AM

Little Things Commishes Should Know

Not really a pitfall, but something that is brutally undocumented.

Global Options-->Choose/Edit Color Scheme allows you to change quickly between teams when in commish mode.

sovereignstar 06-04-2008 11:57 AM

Don't use TCY to create draft classes for your league. They will cause too many good players to enter your league. Really, don't.

Solecismic 06-05-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar (Post 1741715)
Don't use TCY to create draft classes for your league. They will cause too many good players to enter your league. Really, don't.

Do you have TCY installed? The algorithm depends on a piece of TCY, and some estimates may be off without it.

Initially, I had disabled importing in FOF 2007 unless TCY was installed, but got a few complaints, so I put in a quick fix.

sovereignstar 06-05-2008 02:36 AM

Now where in the hell is that documented? Or perhaps it's about the millionth thing that isn't.

I don't even remember if it was installed or not. Fact is that the translation sucked in 2004 and I really doubt that changed in 2007, so I'm willing to share advice that I think it's best to just avoid TCY draft classes. There is a reason why pretty much every multiplayer league stays clear of them at this point. I guess it was fun though determining how to divvy out big play receiving abilities to tight ends every year, since it was zero by default for each one of them.

DeltaWhiskey 06-06-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar (Post 1742497)
Now where in the hell is that documented? Or perhaps it's about the millionth thing that isn't.

I don't even remember if it was installed or not. Fact is that the translation sucked in 2004 and I really doubt that changed in 2007, so I'm willing to share advice that I think it's best to just avoid TCY draft classes. There is a reason why pretty much every multiplayer league stays clear of them at this point. I guess it was fun though determining how to divvy out big play receiving abilities to tight ends every year, since it was zero by default for each one of them.

If there are about a million undocumented things, then why continue to play? This game must have many more levels of challenge, complication and difficulty that I have yet to discover.

You're either being a spoiled brat or completely unrealistic.

Spoiled brat? Show me another game of this (or even inferior) quality where the developer takes the time to answer/address your personal issue/problem or even cares about your problems.

Completely unrealistic? From my understanding, Solecismic has always been and remains a "one man show." Given that gaming behemoths (with mega-staff) churn out inferior products with multiple errors and glitches and with no recourse, the fact that Solecismic turns out such a high quality and reliable product is remarkable to me, and when problems do occur, they're fixed for free. That documentation oversights may occur is not surprising to me and much more tolerable than the errors from the behemoths. However, in this case, perhaps there was no oversight. Perhaps Solecismic was essentially hoping to create two incompatible products - makes sense.

And then, for the coup de grace - you "don't even remember" if TCY was installed? With that, the credibility train left the tracks and we're left with a pile of twisted metal and box cars everywhere.

RedKingGold 06-06-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaWhiskey (Post 1743246)
If there are about a million undocumented things, then why continue to play? This game must have many more levels of challenge, complication and difficulty that I have yet to discover.

You're either being a spoiled brat or completely unrealistic.

Spoiled brat? Show me another game of this (or even inferior) quality where the developer takes the time to answer/address your personal issue/problem or even cares about your problems.

Completely unrealistic? From my understanding, Solecismic has always been and remains a "one man show." Given that gaming behemoths (with mega-staff) churn out inferior products with multiple errors and glitches and with no recourse, the fact that Solecismic turns out such a high quality and reliable product is remarkable to me, and when problems do occur, they're fixed for free. That documentation oversights may occur is not surprising to me and much more tolerable than the errors from the behemoths. However, in this case, perhaps there was no oversight. Perhaps Solecismic was essentially hoping to create two incompatible products - makes sense.

And then, for the coup de grace - you "don't even remember" if TCY was installed? With that, the credibility train left the tracks and we're left with a pile of twisted metal and box cars everywhere.

It's like Woodstock, man. You had to be there to completely understand it.

RedKingGold 06-06-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Perhaps Solecismic was essentially hoping to create two incompatible products - makes sense.

For some reason, this really made chortle. Probably because it sounds so illogical and unlikely, but in retrospect, might actually be true.

sovereignstar 06-06-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Does just about every other text sim out there count?

http://www.wolverinestudios.com --> Gary Gorksi and Shaun Sullivan
http://www.greydogsoftware.com --> Arlie Rahn and Adam Ryland
http://community.sigames.com --> All sorts of guys with a presence on that board
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com --> Markus Heinsohn and Andreas Raht

Should I keep going?

Quote:

The IFL had been using TCY draft files for a few years (6 or 7 drafts), so we're talking about something that has had a tremendous effect on the league, especially if this was the case in FOF2k4 as well. Seriously, who would ever expect that having TCY installed on the same computer as the one you're using to import drafts would make a fricking difference? And FYI, no, I don't have that outdated game installed on both computers I own and use to play FOF.

If Jim wasn't going to put hardly any effort into the whole TCY-->FOF system, then he never should've attempted it in the first place. It sucks, it has always sucked, and everybody but 2 or 3 people knows it.

Ben E Lou 06-06-2008 05:46 PM

This has gotten derailed a bit. Starting a new one...