Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Due to Past Injustices Won;t Resign? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=92147)

Abe Sargent 12-03-2016 07:30 AM

Due to Past Injustices Won;t Resign?

Hello folks!

I have a situation just pop up in my SP game. Wanted to see if it was a feature, a bug, or just a quirk that never happens.

The player in question is DE Julio Stanton. He's in his 6th year , he's been Defensive Player of teh Year twice, he has a ton of sacks and All Pros, and he's basically my JJ Watt. The highest rated player in the league.

After four years of his rookie contract expired, I tagged him. I didn't have the cap room for a big name contract year 5. Year 6, I franchise him, after FA and I verify that I have the money, I make him his big giant offer of cash. I hold to exactly what his agent wants. But:

"Due to past injustices, my client is unwilling to sign."

What past injustices? The guy has never not started. He is content. There has never been an issue of him not being played or unhappy. He's in an ideal situation, across from a Top Ten DE who's also been DPotY and a bunch of All Pros, and he is just blowing through stuff. And the dude it about to get paid in a big major way. He's never held out, nothing.

What past injustices?

The only thing I can think of is the franchise tag. Is the tag the issue in question?

I decide to load a few saves, to see what I can find out. Year 6 of Stanton, I loaded a save from FA Year 6, week 4, just after I tagged him the 2nd time, and he again has that "due to past..." But in FA from the previous year, Year 5 of the Era of Stanton, just after being tagged, I cut a few players, and he was fine resigning.

Thoughts?

Dawgfan19 12-03-2016 07:49 AM

Franchising a player in back-to-back years always results in the past injustices scenario. I did not play FOF prior to version 2007, but this was true in both version 2007 and FOF 7.

Abe Sargent 12-03-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 (Post 3133419)
Franchising a player in back-to-back years always results in the past injustices scenario. I did not play FOF prior to version 2007, but this was true in both version 2007 and FOF 7.

First time I;ve done it. Ah well. Had I known...

QuikSand 12-03-2016 10:16 AM

I'm not sure that tagging twice always triggers past injustices, but that has certainly been there. I think using the tag causes a big drop in loyalty, and maybe once that gets to zero or some other threshold, then the injustices kick in. Regardless - design decision, not new, sorry about your situation. (He might hold out now, too)

garion333 12-03-2016 12:13 PM

If you wanna keep him you're gonna have to keep tagging him. It's expensive but can be done until the point where he holds out for the season.

TomD 07-04-2021 01:24 PM

Hi, guys

Sorry for digging up this thread, but I just encountered the same "due to past injustices" crap.
My top QB on a rookie contract held out in trainning camp but I didn't have the cap, so I thought "I'll sign him next season".
Then came offseason and I made the terrible decision of franchising him in the first stage. Then came the next stage and I couldn't sign him for any money because of this crap.
Is there anyone who has played a lot know how to get out of this? I don't suppose I can franchise him every year long term. But I can't lose a top QB, that would just ruin the game for me.
Clusterf#$$# situation. I don't think I'll ever franchise another player. Crap.

MIJB#19 07-04-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomD (Post 3338860)
Hi, guys

Sorry for digging up this thread, but I just encountered the same "due to past injustices" crap.
My top QB on a rookie contract held out in trainning camp but I didn't have the cap, so I thought "I'll sign him next season".
Then came offseason and I made the terrible decision of franchising him in the first stage. Then came the next stage and I couldn't sign him for any money because of this crap.
Is there anyone who has played a lot know how to get out of this? I don't suppose I can franchise him every year long term. But I can't lose a top QB, that would just ruin the game for me.
Clusterf#$$# situation. I don't think I'll ever franchise another player. Crap.

A hold out not rewarded with a new contract and a franchise tag the next off-season, that's strike two, which in this game is out. I think you're stuck with re-tagging the QB every next off-season from here on.

ronm613 07-05-2021 01:46 PM

It is fixable if you have time. I refused a holdout on a QB with 2 seasons still under contract...tried to renegotiate at the end of Pre-Season and he did the past injustices...but I kept him playing all season and he then accepted my offer that offseason.

TomD 07-05-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronm613 (Post 3338890)
It is fixable if you have time. I refused a holdout on a QB with 2 seasons still under contract...tried to renegotiate at the end of Pre-Season and he did the past injustices...but I kept him playing all season and he then accepted my offer that offseason.

The offer was made and accepted with him still under contract or he was a FA?

ronm613 07-10-2021 05:10 AM

The holdout was with two seasons remaining under contract. The following preseason with one season remainig I tried to extend him. He was still offended and refused. I played him all year...we won, which might have helped also...and as a FA i made a halfhearted attempt to re-sign and he accpted.
There could have been other things going on...winning was "very important" to him and we had just been champs...but yeah the past injustices faded away.

Ushikawa 07-16-2021 09:58 AM

Monitoring Loyalty and the Agent stubborness can give you clues as to who may holdout, holdouts never occur if they jsut signed a new contract so for guys with 2 or 3 years left soemtimes it is best to cap them out

TomD 07-16-2021 01:04 PM

Well, after the season I still got the past injustices crap for the thousandth time and gave up. I won't keep franchising the guy to zillions dollars indefinitely. I prefer to just go rebuilding why I have cap space.
I will try to make a blockbuster trade to a #1 pick and draft the best QB to replace him.
Thanks for all the answers. Now I am careful with these holdouts and tags.

ronm613 07-19-2021 08:16 AM

I would add a few things that have helped me here...
At year 4 players start wanting the big payday...while your aging stars 8 or 9 year veterans but with still good marks, start taking pay cuts "per year" in exchange for another year, often...if you catch them in between seasons.
I avoid a lot of the drama and keep under the cap almost entirely without losing any of my big name guys, just by renegotiating before the season when they still have a couple of years...waiting until they hit free agency adds a lot to the pricetag.
The tradeoff is that sometimes I pay for a player with high volatility that just crashes and burns....but that hasnt happened any more than it does on the free agency market.

TomD 07-19-2021 02:47 PM

Seems like a good idea. I'll try to do that from now on. The ones that I can't fit in the cap, I'll trade them if I can.

finkellll 07-20-2021 08:40 AM

You need to be careful with resigning too early because the bonus money stacks, and if the player crashes then it becomes very expensive to cut them.

One of the main reasons the AI gets into cap trouble is because they keep resigning their most expensive players every year, which means that by year 10 that player has more in bonus money then any other player at the position has in total cap hit.

I don't resigning a player until the final year of their current contract the vast majority of the time. If I have a lot of cap pressure I'll look at resigning when there are 2+ years remaining, but I try to avoid it.

redfox000 07-21-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finkellll (Post 3339905)
You need to be careful with resigning too early because the bonus money stacks, and if the player crashes then it becomes very expensive to cut them.

One of the main reasons the AI gets into cap trouble is because they keep resigning their most expensive players every year, which means that by year 10 that player has more in bonus money then any other player at the position has in total cap hit.

I don't resigning a player until the final year of their current contract the vast majority of the time. If I have a lot of cap pressure I'll look at resigning when there are 2+ years remaining, but I try to avoid it.

Just to have some fun, but what If Aaron Rogers was on your team and wanted a new contract with 3 years left? :popcorn:

finkellll 07-22-2021 11:17 AM

I pay hold outs if I can afford it, but in FOF when something like this happens where an already highly paid player is holding out I will usually pay the hold out price and then look to replace them ASAP. If this happened in FOF and Jordan Love's bars weren't crap I'd probably cut Rodgers. If they were crap I would pay the holdout price and then start going after bridge QBs next offseason.

I'm not really the best person to ask this question to because I decided long ago that great QBs are wasted on me in this game. I get the same production from a 45/45 Journeyman as I would a 60/60 or 75/75 1st rd pick 1 day 1 starter. I generally stay away from them in FOF MP because I prefer to spend my cap on Defense. I should point out that my main goal is to hold high powered offenses to 10 points per game, not the 30+ points they are used to scoring every other week. I'm not here to win superbowls, just to have a top 5 defense every year.

ronm613 07-23-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finkellll (Post 3340105)
I pay hold outs if I can afford it, but in FOF when something like this happens where an already highly paid player is holding out I will usually pay the hold out price and then look to replace them ASAP. If this happened in FOF and Jordan Love's bars weren't crap I'd probably cut Rodgers. If they were crap I would pay the holdout price and then start going after bridge QBs next offseason.

I'm not really the best person to ask this question to because I decided long ago that great QBs are wasted on me in this game. I get the same production from a 45/45 Journeyman as I would a 60/60 or 75/75 1st rd pick 1 day 1 starter. I generally stay away from them in FOF MP because I prefer to spend my cap on Defense. I should point out that my main goal is to hold high powered offenses to 10 points per game, not the 30+ points they are used to scoring every other week. I'm not here to win superbowls, just to have a top 5 defense every year.

That is how I build as well, and I have seen (mostly) the same QB results...in fact, I had a fill-in journeyman in my first league that came in for an injured all pro, he didnt put up the numbers, but played well enough to win,and I ended up trading the star for a 1stRd pick.