Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

JPhillips 05-30-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3283225)
We've had to deal with it periodically due to my 91 y/o mother-in-law's inability to grasp that Walmart is not the only place on the planet that stocks grocery items. WM is her ride-or-die.

The average lead time required for pickup here has been 2-3 full days, with some occasions having no available delivery in a 7-day window.

No other store in the area comes close to that (and I'm pretty sure we've done delivery from virtually every chain here at some point).

We've gotten good about planning a week ahead for the pick-up. You can add to the order up to the night before, so as long as we get a delivery slot, we can make the actual order closer to the pickup.

sterlingice 05-30-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3283273)
We've gotten good about planning a week ahead for the pick-up. You can add to the order up to the night before, so as long as we get a delivery slot, we can make the actual order closer to the pickup.

To some extent, we've always done this (we tend to make a menu for the week and buy the things we might be missing but I would also buy things on sale to stock up or something that looked good). So it's not that different for us. The only difficulties that pop up now are the things that are out. But that even popped up before from time to time, just less often.

SI

Ben E Lou 05-30-2020 03:09 PM

Speaking of Walmart, my wife is laughing at me today. I picked up three packages of no-nitrate uncured bacon, two packs of organic grass-fed bitter, and a dozen avocados. Apart from occasionally grabbing cooking oil or a loaf of bread for the kids’ morning toast. The three items mentioned are the only groceries I ever get at Walmart. Yeah, I go to Walmart to buy Whole Foods groceries. *shurg*

(In fairness, the same brands of those three items that we used to get at WF are crazy cheaper at our WM, and the latter is much closer to boot.)

JonInMiddleGA 05-30-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3283273)

Yeah, doesn't really work when dealing with a 91 y/o. (Lots of things don't really work well when dealing with a 91 y/o ... but I digress)

It ain't entirely accidental that we borrowed her car while ours was in the shop and just sorta haven't gotten around to returning it. Kinda sneaky perhaps but I don't believe she'd have behaved this long had it been there for her to drive either.

Arles 05-30-2020 10:39 PM

What are the odds all these mass protests in big cities cause another mini outbreak in coronavirus cases this week?

thesloppy 05-30-2020 10:50 PM

Pretty good I would imagine.

sterlingice 05-31-2020 09:28 AM

Seems pretty high.

So someone in my family works at a cancer hospital. They have been taking a ton of precautions there but, at the end of the day, you still have to see patients. To the patients, it doesn't matter if they die by COVID or if they die by cancer: death is still death.

I think something similar applies here. If you think you're risking dying just by going out in public, death by COVID vs death by police brutality: death is death.

SI

thesloppy 05-31-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3283420)
I think something similar applies here. If you think you're risking dying just by going out in public, death by COVID vs death by police brutality: death is death.

SI

Yeah, I've thought along the same lines when they were talking about covid hitting poor, minority communities hardest....if you live in a community where drug/street violence is a real, daily threat, of course the concern & insistence that you should stay home, so you don't get sick in a couple weeks, is going to ring hollow.

Arles 05-31-2020 01:59 PM

That's actually a good point. When you live in a community facing daily violence from gangs, police and others, how scary is a disease that kills less than 1% of the people who get it?

NobodyHere 05-31-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3278110)
Well partially inspired by COVID I decided to jump back into Nutrisystem

I say inspired because I figure Nutrisystem would cut down on my grocery shopping which I hate to do these days.

So I get my box from Nutrisystem and they leave out 5 breakfast items. The bastards.

Well I'm 202 pounds on a 5'3 frame. Let's see how this goes.

FWIW I'm down 10 pounds following a Nutrisytemish system since this post.

tarcone 05-31-2020 10:15 PM

My county borders St. Louis county but is pretty rural. A few cities of around 10k or less. One of maybe 20k.

We opened up 2 weeks ago. Wide open. We have had one new case in our county in that time period.

I think this is turning into an urban issue. As well as, a nursing home and meat packing plant issue.

ISiddiqui 05-31-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3283598)
I think this is turning into an urban issue. As well as, a nursing home and meat packing plant issue.

Well it makes some sense due to density. Though I still see Albany GA being hit super hard a few months back and think it can hit even smaller cities. I do think rural areas have more distancing just by design which helps.

And it's been these cities that have had protests - anti-lockdown and now anti-police brutality - folks like to march on City Hall after all.

whomario 06-01-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3283598)
My county borders St. Louis county but is pretty rural. A few cities of around 10k or less. One of maybe 20k.

We opened up 2 weeks ago. Wide open. We have had one new case in our county in that time period.

A county with almost no cases will not suddenly see many. It is more and more safe to say that this is not spread in 3s an 4s but in 1s and 15s.
Those maybe 5-10 concurrent infected in your county first need to be at one of the, for Arguments sake, 10% open businesses that pose an elevated risk and be there at the right time (peak infectiousness is a short period). 5 of 10 might be most infectious on days they don't go out much. 2 might not go out much in general.
At low levels, chance comes into play. Which is why it took time to go from imported cases to catastrophe. Critical Mass is a concept that originated in Epidemiology, after all !

Household transmission is generally 1 in 4 chance with the highest propability by far being the spouse (which makes sense).Lots if places are safe, especially with basic precautions (even just keeping a bit distance, not stop in the same place and talk for a long while), but lots more avenues than Meatpacking Plants, too ...

In Germany we have very few cases and excellent contact tracing (not SK et al level but just about the next best thing) so the true number now will not be as much larger by far than in March.
And still in the last 2 weeks we had: 2 church outbreaks of 60-100 cases, a private even at a restaurant (30+), a series of private family Parties (scope yet unclear), a UPS sorting center (50+). This does not happen via droplets, this is Aerosol infection.

The place does not matter as much as These Basic conditions:

- indoor vs outdoor. Air displacement outdoors just mitigates a lot
- lots of people literally sharing the same air
- staying stationary for 15 + minutes OR moving around the same space over and over along with everybody else
- close contact and face-to-face interaction up close
-loud and animated speaking, singing or heavy breathing

The problem is that it would be guaranteed desaster if everything was done the same as a year ago, everything will be super if done like in April. Finding the sweet spot in between is the hard part.

As for retirement homes: These are vulnerable to spread the same way all closed systems are (a Party same as a meatpacking plant). However, it is much easier to keep the virus out in the first place when few peope carry it in general and with less draconic measures (isolating them for months or a year is NOT desirable) It's just Basic propability.

These propabilities come into play Rural vs Urban as well. How many Potential spreading events happen in a big city vs a small ? How many events with different people is one likely to infect ? How likely is it contact tracing works because participants knew each other ?

If it happens and is missed, the virus does not care much. Look of Heinsberg or Tirschenreuth in Germany or Vo in Italy. One party gone wrong = things spreads like wildfire.

Lathum 06-01-2020 09:02 AM

Had a friend over yesterday for a pool play date with the kids. She is a nurse at a busy hospital here in the Jersey shore. Said things have calmed down a lot at her hospital. She then said they are still very nervous and making preparations for things to get really bad again between the protests, people relaxing, and huge influx of tourists here on the shore.

Edward64 06-01-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3283631)
The place does not matter as much as These Basic conditions:

- indoor vs outdoor. Air displacement outdoors just mitigates a lot
- lots of people literally sharing the same air
- staying stationary for 15 + minutes OR moving around the same space over and over along with everybody else
- close contact and face-to-face interaction up close
-loud and animated speaking, singing or heavy breathing

So your thoughts on risks re:

1) Being in an airplane with masks, an empty seat inbetween (even though the air is recirculated and filtered)
2) Being in a crowded beach without mask, social distancing with strangers but close with friends, but breezy

ISiddiqui 06-01-2020 10:13 AM

#2 may depend on the amount and distancing your friends did. But if it's a small amount and they have all self isolated for a few weeks as well, that should be pretty safe. Outdoor spreading, especially while distancing seems to be very low.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

whomario 06-01-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3283647)
So your thoughts on risks re:

1) Being in an airplane with masks, an empty seat inbetween (even though the air is recirculated and filtered)
2) Being in a crowded beach without mask, social distancing with strangers but close with friends, but breezy

Remember i am merely reading up on this and know a few people that work in research or in the 'field'. There are no definitive answers and if there were, i would not know them all.

One general thing: The empty seat is to prevent droplet infection. Right now best guess is that it is sth like 50/50 between droplet and aerosol (surface transmission vers much a distant afterthought)
With the former happening more often, but the latter affecting more people at once if the conditions are right.

Planes i think you have a strange Mix of pros and cons (and i know tons of experiments are made on both this and trains/busses right know) but many experts seem to veer on the side of "might be less of an issue than you'd think".

At a beach i am fairly certain that everything that happens there happens at close contact between people and is not adding to the problem if is people that know each other and have that contact elsewhere as well. Might as well have it there rather than a closed space.

I think it is virtually impossible to transmit to someone over more than a few feet there, as there virus is immediately exposed to Air currents and displaced (even with no breeze!). Remember you do not get infected by any amount of virus, it needs to be a decent amount (AND some research indicates that more initial exposure = sicker.).
That is why stores are negligible as well imo, with everybody walking around without much/long social/physical interaction.

Might have posted this before: How coronavirus spreads outdoors vs. indoors - YouTube

The only way to be 100% safe is not meeting anybody, but that is not sustainable or healthy or even necessary. It was crucial in march to stop a lot of transmission chains, fast. And to give science and health infrastructure time to catch up.
Next best thing is limiting contacts from the normal, maybe try to not visit the most popular or 'beautiful' beach/places at the same time as anybody else. That sort of thing is how i handle it.

And maybe limit your interactions to people you know, because that is the other thing: Say one of you gets mildly ill (remember, this is NOT Ebola or some shit for younger folk), either you get tested and can tell public health workers who to contact or you have at least informal information "hey guys, coming down with sth" which then results in everybody being careful for a week or whatever, avoiding their older relatives or that nurse they know, or getting tested themselves.

Meeting mainly people you know rather than party with a bunch of strangers or semi-strangers ("I also talked to a guy for 20 minutes, Whatshisname, guy with a mole on his cheek. Ah, can't remember, sorry") immediately lowers the risk for the general public because odds are much lower at a continouus chain of transmissions and much higher odds it hits a dead end because people get notice sth might be up.

Thomkal 06-01-2020 03:00 PM

So we rescheduled my kidney doctor appt from april until about 2 weeks now. So I went to LabCorp where I get my blood tested. No problems with getting that done, but the lab and waitng room are very small, and it was a Monday so busy times with the lab. About a 1/3 of the people in for testing didn't wear masks and LabCorp was not requiring them to wear any. They had added some extra chairs and a bench outside the office for overflow and COVID social distancing, but with it being a small office, you couldn't really do that anyway.

Traffic was back to pre-COVID levels I would say as well.

PilotMan 06-01-2020 04:31 PM

Two of my boys and I got haircuts today. First in 5 months. Our stylist was the only one in the entire salon and we were the only customers the entire time we were in there. Did some shopping where the store was metering the number of people inside the store and forming a queue when needed. Lots of people in the store didn't really care about anything and were going on like nothing had changed (like I said earlier about KY). But the store had sanitary barriers, and the cashiers had to wipe the station down after every customer. Then we went to a restaurant for the first time since March. The employees were all very good, most of the seating was in the parking lot, but they also had inside seating with every other booth blocked off and tables on the floor very spaced out. I don't know how it'll last, but it was nice to have those normal, pedestrian things to do again.

JonInMiddleGA 06-01-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3283701)
So we rescheduled my kidney doctor appt from april until about 2 weeks now. So I went to LabCorp where I get my blood tested. No problems with getting that done, but the lab and waitng room are very small, and it was a Monday so busy times with the lab. About a 1/3 of the people in for testing didn't wear masks and LabCorp was not requiring them to wear any. They had added some extra chairs and a bench outside the office for overflow and COVID social distancing, but with it being a small office, you couldn't really do that anyway.

Traffic was back to pre-COVID levels I would say as well.

Anecdotally I'd say that health services (from simple visits and/or tests to full blown surgeries) are all over the place with regulations to some extent.

Less than 10 miles apart a couple hospitals in ATL range from one having the surgical waiting room open pretty much as normal (even for outpatient stuff) to another only allowing 2 people to attend the bedside of a literal dying (as in removing life support) person and going so far as to count someone adminstering last rites against the 2-person limit.

That's a pretty wide gap in restrictions, so I'm not really that surprised by what you posted.

miked 06-01-2020 07:41 PM

Emory is mask only, Children’s (where I work sometimes) is mask, limited visitors, and temp check. We return to labs at Emory this week and they are very low density, masks, and possibly random temp checks and tests.

I’m currently in Blairsville GA and went to Walmart. I thought somebody was going to punch me for wearing a mask. It was like I was the devil. Saw some ice cream stops and BBQ joints that had large crowds and no masks.

Arles 06-01-2020 11:42 PM

Coronavirus Antibody Testing Shows Lower Fatality Rate For Infection : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote:

Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

The evidence comes from tests that detect antibodies to the coronavirus in a person's blood rather than the virus itself.

The tests are finding large numbers of people in the U.S. who were infected but never became seriously ill. And when these mild infections are included in coronavirus statistics, the virus appears less dangerous.

"The current best estimates for the infection fatality risk are between 0.5% and 1%," says Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

That's in contrast with death rates of 5% or more based on calculations that included only people who got sick enough to be diagnosed with tests that detect the presence of virus in a person's body.

QuikSand 06-02-2020 07:04 AM

let's go with the low end, 0.5% sounds great, let's hurry and re-open everything, i guess

maybe half of America will get the virus before we have treatment? we've heard that sort of number, right? and as we get everyone back into the pool and bar and Bonnaroo and so forth, maybe it happens...

hmmm... half of 330m is 165m, 1% of that is 1.65m, half of that is 825,000 Americans dead

sounds fine

hope it's wrong

Butter 06-02-2020 07:59 AM

Who ever thought the realistic number would be 5%? I thought worst case would be about 2%, best case about 0.5%. Best case is still pretty damn bad.

Brian Swartz 06-02-2020 08:27 AM

There's no course of action that will ever keep the direct & indirect deaths as low as under a million. That's a gift that I will readily take.

albionmoonlight 06-02-2020 08:36 AM

And let us not forget--that's the number dead.

That is not the number that get so sick that the spend weeks on a ventilator and have permanent lung damage or other conditions.

So 800,000 dead is horrible. But it will be worse than that.

whomario 06-02-2020 09:13 AM

Yeah, 0.5 is still a lot for a diseases with that much potential to spread and infect people in the first place and rapidly. And while there are a lot of people with mild symptoms or no symptoms (those are 'only' guessed at 20-25 % btw, 15ish for the Flu so not like it does not happen there), there are also a lot of hospitalisations or people not needing that but still sick for 2 weeks.
Even in Germany (and we got off easy) doctors will tell you they saw more people with serious Pneumonia symptoms (by that point the test often is not even conclusive btw) in a week this march/april than they ever saw before by a country mile. Same with people in care homes. Of course folk die there and more in winter than other times, but you don't get to a place where it looks like an ER with sofas and pictures on the wall.
And the recovery time after hospital is very long as well.

And 0.5 - 1 was the sort of number assumed by serious scientists even before any antibody tests could be done, including those offering advise to governemnents and pushing for strict containment and/or mitigation measures.

Take this paper from March: DEFINE_ME (Link from the Lancet Journal)

Fauci himself estimated in March that it will be much closer to a bad influenza season than SARS (9-10 % i think).

That 5 % was always a 'placeholder' to put any sort of value on it AND it is the number (Case Fatality Rate) that is used for other diseases as well. This is not an unusual way to do this, at all. And it is a highly relevant number in any case, because as far as healthcare sector goes you care about cases more than infected (the number of missed infected is a problem in the spread)
Of course it was misinterpreted by the media etc. and used wrongly/misleadingly. What else do you expect ? But behind the scenes, nobody made decisions based on that 5% number or anything close to that.

0.5 is still 3-5 times higher than the Case Fatality Rate that is attributed to the flu (it is the closest analogue, i can see why people make that comparison) in a bad year. Remember that some years you have very few people dying and others a lot based on prior exposure, change in virus distribution, virus mutation and vaccine effectiveness and distribution.

That particular CFR is likely much closer to the IFR than with Covid because deaths are missed as frequently as infections (and that also tells you sth re: hospitalisation rate) but there is little reason to think it isn't significantly smaller here as well. There are credible estimates of the IFR for the flu still being 2-3 times smaller than the CFR.
And consider this: with the Flu you don't ever actually find/look for any asymptomatic cases (which there are, just a good chunk less and spreading it for fewer days) or people with symptoms so mild they just stay in bed for a day or two or maybe just cough a bit.

So the CFR being so high for SarsCov2 here actually shows something as well: Despite comprehensive efforts to identify mild cases (as opposed to just registering really sick folks) you come out at a pretty damned high CFR.

How is this done for Influenza ?
Counting every doctors visit where the doctor puts "flu" on the doctor's note (of which a lot will be the common cold for example or just a sympathetic doctor understanding the plight of the working man/student) or even just put into the internal system when just giving him the advise to drink some fluids and send him on his way with a prescription of cough syrup and no doctors not. Then taking a guess how many of actually sick people went to the dorctors.
And then you count everybody dying above the average number (which in a bad winter can have multiple reasons other than the flu) for the season.

Doing both those things you come out at that guessed-at 0.15ish CFR for the flu, that being the way it is done in Germany at least.

https://twitter.com/ChristoPhraser/s...38443756384259

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Edward64 06-02-2020 09:19 AM

I would like to see the # deaths compared year-over-year as in Feb-Mar-Apr-May 2020 compared to 2019. That delta should give us a good approximation of coronavirus related deaths.

whomario 06-02-2020 09:30 AM

To clarify: Again, i am not saying this means "Lockdown forever" or even an aproximation of it re_ restrictions. But it is the basis on which that decision is made, that trade off.
Saying "we know 0.5 - 1 % is a lot, but we still have to do this or that less strictly after thinking about the ramifications long and hard" is a whole different thing than saying "see, it is only 0.5 - 1 %, what is the fuss all about ?"
The former i can live with, the latter makes me irrate ;) And here in Germany i have way more trust in the former being the thought process so i don't feel i need to fuss about opening this or that or loosening faster than might make sense looking at only the virus or when thinking about what might
happen in the fall/Winter.
Where we have no way of knowing how bad the flu hits, i do not want to imagine a repeat of 2018 running alongside a big Covid19 resurgence ...

Also: I do think IFR will go down if anything from here on out, simply because a) treatment is better by leaps and bounds already (knowledge and experience matter), b) the health care system is better geared towards identifying them early (not having flu/cold running alongside it in the summer helps, too), c) people have a better understanding of where there is risk and who is at risk more than others.

whomario 06-02-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3283911)
I would like to see the # deaths compared year-over-year as in Feb-Mar-Apr-May 2020 compared to 2019. That delta should give us a good approximation of coronavirus related deaths.

Those are available on the CDC website as weekly numbers with one caveat: Registration lacks behind (always, not specifically now) so what you see there will be lower than what you see looking at the same tables in a month. Someone a while back made a comparison how the first week in April went from virtually no excess deaths when looking at it mid april to 30+% looking at the same week but doing so in mid may.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Seeing 2018 here as well is useful as well, because that was a bad flu season.
Summary of the 2017-2018 Influenza Season | CDC

The CDC data also shows pretty clearly that the flu season this year in the US (as in most of the northern hemisphere) has been below average with no excess mortality. Small favors and all that ...

If you are interested, a similar table is available for a bunch of european countries collected by an EU project since 2015 (scrolling down will let you select individual countries), with the same caveat of the last few weeks not being accurate yet.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

That comparison shows pretty well btw how the flu truly is seasonal and wanders across the globe and how it hits different countries at different times and sometimes different years depending on factors mentioned above. Also shows how SarsCov2 moved essentially South to North within Europe.

And while obviously people do suffer (and die ! I don't want to minimalize that) from not getting treatment or postponing treatment, either out of fear or (like NY) because they literally can't get it in time due to the health care system crashing and burning, a lot of other causes are still hidden covid causes.
Because covid does cause heart attacks and strokes and organ failure and plainly does get missed as a diagnosis as well or a death may go without a diagnosis at all. (the CDC actually has a category for "unusual illness/symptoms" which was up big time in march and april).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ew-jersey.html

Arles 06-02-2020 10:20 AM

My post of the story wasn't to say "hey, it could be only 0.5%, let's go back to having 100K in a football stadium!!". The point was that this looks to be much less deadly than many thought back in March - which is a very good thing. Everyone should keep social distancing and wearing masks when possible - but a death rate of 0.5-0.7 is a lot better than 1-5% (as many on this board thought would be the case two months ago).

whomario 06-02-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3283933)
My post of the story wasn't to say "hey, it could be only 0.5%, let's go back to having 100K in a football stadium!!". The point was that this looks to be much less deadly than many thought back in March - which is a very good thing. Everyone should keep social distancing and wearing masks when possible - but a death rate of 0.5-0.7 is a lot better than 1-5% (as many on this board thought would be the case two months ago).

Never meant to imply that, sorry if it came across that way !

But since i know that position is out there i figured i might as well engage with that number and what i figure it means, then point out why it bothers me. (heck, a pretty famous scientist involved in that deeply flawed and politicised Santa Clara study then turned around and twisted around a bunch of other studies* to convince people it is like 0.25 and totally not worse than the flu, without ever even comparing how one arrives at those numbers.
*Like excluding all studies from the upper spectrum of results, taking the lowest estimate every time (so 0.3.- 0.6 = 0.3), taking studies looking at people under 70 exclusively, making a regions population 8 times higher than it is etc

Arles 06-02-2020 12:24 PM

It's no biggie. There just is a reflex on this thread to equate "hey we may have a little good news" with "Hey, were are good to go! Let's all go mud wrestling in Strip Clubs!!!"

ISiddiqui 06-02-2020 12:26 PM

Although, if it's outdoor strip clubs...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Arles 06-02-2020 12:39 PM

True and maybe the mud would act as a natural mask?

sterlingice 06-02-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3283933)

I have a feeling it will settle between 0.5-1%, too. But part of those higher estimates was the idea that the medical system was going to be overwhelmed, as we saw in parts of China and Italy, no? That's where the whole flattening the curve came from to begin with. Wasn't the idea that if we did nothing, you give it a 4-5x multiplier because of overwhelmed medical resources and inability to treat treatable patients?

SI

RainMaker 06-02-2020 01:41 PM

0.5-1% is still high for a virus we have no immunity to and no idea on long term effects.

If just 20% of the population gets it that is half a million million dead.

Edward64 06-02-2020 02:18 PM

I wouldn't have imagined this 3 months ago but makes perfect sense.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/02/how-...obs-in-us.html
Quote:

As cities and states reopen their economies, many are quickly ramping up their contact-tracing capacity in an effort to keep a lid on Covid-19 infection rates. Simply put, contract tracing entails calling close contacts of confirmed Covid-19 patients, providing them with information about the disease and encouraging them to self-quarantine for 14 days to potentially avoid infecting others. Testing is also discussed.
:
Case investigators for health authorities typically reach out to people who test positive for Covid-19 and, in doing so, try to gather the names and phone numbers of their close contacts (usually immediate family members, friends and/or coworkers). That information is passed along to contact tracers — trained, entry-level employees who don’t necessarily have a four-year college degree or a background in health care.
:
:
Tom Friedman, director of the CDC under President Barack Obama, has said we need as many as 300,000 contact tracers to curb the spread of the new coronavirus.
:
:
Gabriel says his firm, which now has 45 employees, may hire as many as 1,000 contact tracers by early June. Salaries will range from $17–$38 per hour depending on location.

sterlingice 06-02-2020 03:10 PM

Wasn't someone asking a couple of days ago for a job that most people can do if they're unemployed?

SI

Arles 06-02-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3284020)
I have a feeling it will settle between 0.5-1%, too. But part of those higher estimates was the idea that the medical system was going to be overwhelmed, as we saw in parts of China and Italy, no? That's where the whole flattening the curve came from to begin with. Wasn't the idea that if we did nothing, you give it a 4-5x multiplier because of overwhelmed medical resources and inability to treat treatable patients?

SI

Yeah, I think that's a good point.The difference between 1% and 0.7% might be in having a really strong health care infrastructure. I think the high rates in Italy were due to the testing initially involving mostly people who were very sick because of the initial blitz it did on their health care system. I think had we not social distanced early on, we could have had a similar high load in many places. But, I do think our geography, health care infrastructure and spread out way of living (not a ton of mass transit or high density areas) helped even without the impressive distancing effort we did.

albionmoonlight 06-02-2020 04:01 PM

I am seeing more people out and about. And most of them are wearing masks for things like stores, and not wearing masks for things like walks in the park.

If that's how it is going to be, then I think that we will be OK here.

Of course, that leaves huge open questions about schools and sporting events. But we will let future North Carolina worry about those questions.

sterlingice 06-02-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3284074)
Yeah, I think that's a good point.The difference between 1% and 0.7% might be in having a really strong health care infrastructure. I think the high rates in Italy were due to the testing initially involving mostly people who were very sick because of the initial blitz it did on their health care system. I think had we not social distanced early on, we could have had a similar high load in many places. But, I do think our geography, health care infrastructure and spread out way of living (not a ton of mass transit or high density areas) helped even without the impressive distancing effort we did.

Yeah, CFRs for those few weeks in Italy where they were overwhelmed are probably insanely high. I bet they are close to that 3-5% range.

SI

albionmoonlight 06-02-2020 04:05 PM

dola:

Oh, the big thing is the upcoming messy divorce between the RNC and North Carolina for the GOP Convention in August.

It seems pretty clear that NC/Charlotte does not want the chaos of a convention at this point. And that the GOP would rather reward Georgia or Florida with it. But, of course, the RNC can't tell swing state NC to suck it. And NC does not want to look anti-Republican. So they are now doing this dance where the RNC keeps sending letters saying that they want to come, but the state needs to be reasonable in terms of what it will allow. And the state keeps sending the RNC letters saying that they want the RNC to come, but the RNC needs to be reasonable in terms of expectations.

I think that it will end with the convention moving and each side blaming the other for being unreasonable.

Edward64 06-02-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3284076)
I am seeing more people out and about. And most of them are wearing masks for things like stores, and not wearing masks for things like walks in the park.

If that's how it is going to be, then I think that we will be OK here.

Of course, that leaves huge open questions about schools and sporting events. But we will let future North Carolina worry about those questions.

This is us. There are exceptions but most people are wearing masks at stores, restaurant pick-ups etc. However when we are walking around the neighborhood or doing a trail, no one is wearing masks.

Re: colleges, my daughter did her orientation via remote last week. They are planning to re-open and have regular class in the Fall. I have a friend at a smaller FL college, they are planning to re-open in Fall also.

My daughter has a roommate and dorm room assigned. I asked her if orientation said anything about special measures etc. in dorms and she said no.

My guess is re-opening will be in full swing for schools, businesses etc. by Fall with social distancing measures.

Edward64 06-02-2020 10:24 PM

This is fantastic news if we can pull it off.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...0fa5ee17285938
Quote:

The US should have 100 million doses of one candidate Covid-19 vaccine by the end of the year, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and a member of the White House coronavirus task force, said Tuesday.

“Then, by the beginning of 2021, we hope to have a couple hundred million doses,” Fauci said during a live question and answer session with the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Fauci said the first vaccine candidate, made by biotech company Moderna in partnership with NIAID, should go into a final stage of trials in volunteers, known in the industry as Phase III, by mid-summer. Preparations at national and international sites are already under way, he said.

“The real business end of this all will be the Phase III that starts in the first week of July, hopefully, “ Fauci said. “We want to get as many data points as we can.”

Phase III will involve about 30,000 people. The vaccine will be tested in people between the ages of 18 and 55, as well as in the elderly and in people who have underlying health conditions.

“It’s going to be the entire spectrum,” Fauci said.

Fauci said Phase II of the trial started a few days ago. A few hundred volunteers will be involved in that part of the trial.

The plan is to manufacture doses of the vaccine even before it is clear whether the vaccines work, making close to 100 million doses by November or December, Fauci said. That’s so if it does work, it can be deployed quickly.

ISiddiqui 06-03-2020 04:57 PM

Was just on a COVID 19 conference call for my Church's Synod and apparently Alabama is getting scary - Montgomery's ICU beds are full and they are shipping people to Birmingham. Tuscaloosa is about to run out of beds. And late May and June cases are spiking.

tarcone 06-03-2020 05:00 PM

I would certainly volunteer for the vaccine test.

JPhillips 06-03-2020 05:02 PM

I saw a chart that had ten states with over 70% usage of ICU beds right now. Maryland was well over 90%.

And these are all pre-protest cases.

cuervo72 06-03-2020 05:10 PM

Funny, the Alabama numbers on the Worldometers site don't look bad at all, comparatively.

Edward64 06-03-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3284351)
I would certainly volunteer for the vaccine test.

Maybe 2 weeks after the first group for me.