Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

thesloppy 12-19-2020 10:22 PM

It's awful to hear y'all kids & families are suffering. I hope everybody gets better as soon as possible.

miami_fan 12-20-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3318460)
People who tried to spread the virus should not be first in line for a vaccine.

COVID-19 the leading cause of death for US police officers in 2020

While I still believe it is important for the public to see its leaders getting the vaccine, I do find myself getting angry at seeing people who have spent the last nine months downplaying the seriousness of the virus get the vaccine. Can some of those “essential” store workers who were getting their asses kicked, being coughed and spat on just for asking people to wear masks get pushed to the front of the line too?

GrantDawg 12-20-2020 08:41 AM

This the kind of crap that drives me crazy: Georgia Covid vaccine distribution to health care facilities is uneven

To sum up, rich private cancer center with no ER or COVID ward has their entire staff vaccinated, while a non-profit hospital chain on the front line of dealing with COVID has yet to receive any. Priority is always to the wealthy.

RainMaker 12-20-2020 07:40 PM

Pence should not have been given a vaccine. Same for Congress.

GrantDawg 12-20-2020 08:17 PM

I disagree, Rainmaker. The more people willing to take the vaccine, the better. It is pretty important for prominent Republicans to publicly take the shot as an example. They have done nearly everything wrong on this, but if they refused the vaccine, that would be among the worse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ghost Econ 12-21-2020 01:05 PM

Even though cases have been peaking since after Thanksgiving, our health department will stop doing daily news releases in the new year.

Problem solved.

AlexB 12-21-2020 01:10 PM

Not sure which thread to post this, but guess it will be seen by more here. Just another example that while being young and healthy mean the likelihood is that you won’t have major issues, it’s not a guarantee

Newcastle: Allan Saint-Maximin & Jamaal Lascelles suffering from Covid-19

Radii 12-21-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3319138)
Pence should not have been given a vaccine. Same for Congress.

Apparently this is tied to some executive orders, AOC (and others I'm sure but I follow AOC) basically got hers live via instagram, I believe she said that she didn't expect to get it so soon but there was a directive "strongly encouraging" all members of congress to do so.

I'm fine with this, personally.

JPhillips 12-21-2020 02:56 PM

I'm a little opposed to Congress going first, but anyone in the line of succession should absolutely get it ASAP.

Edward64 12-21-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 3319195)
Apparently this is tied to some executive orders, AOC (and others I'm sure but I follow AOC) basically got hers live via instagram, I believe she said that she didn't expect to get it so soon but there was a directive "strongly encouraging" all members of congress to do so.

I can be convinced otherwise but my first reaction is cutting in line.

I get that America wants to see "leaders" take the vaccine to reassure it's safe. I want to see that and it makes sense for McConnell, Pelosi, Surgeon General, Pence, Birx, Fauci etc. to take it.

But other healthy, younger politicians don't fall in 1a or 1b (currently where we are I think). It smacks of cutting in line. Why should AOC get it before my wife who is a teacher and literally on the front line dealing with kids (and yes, parents send their kids to school when sick)? Rhetorical question, we know why and I don't like it.

I'm okay if it was clearly defined that XX politicians will be given the vaccine when 1a and 1b was defined, but I don't remember reading this in MSM. So this is a surprise and leaves a bad taste.

Question - is this one off or is everyone in Congress going to get it before regular folks?

Edward64 12-21-2020 03:14 PM

I'm not sure I believe what both SG say. From the article, it's all fluff words without anything much behind it. It would have been better if they said like

"We are in touch with our colleagues in the UK, they've provided us with some sample and CDC is currently looking at it. Most likely our vaccines will work against this new strain but we will give you a preliminary confirmation by XX date. In the meantime, err on the side of caution and continue to ...."

I'm definitely not a researcher but IMO can smell some BS here with the lack of specificity.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cor...nerals-believe
Quote:

The current and potential surgeons general of the United States have assured they see no potential danger posed by the new coronavirus strain reported in Britain.

News of a more virulent strain of COVID-19 found in the U.K. has unsettled world leaders and citizens alike, seeming to arise just as global distribution of the Pfizer vaccine is underway and Moderna’s vaccine not far behind it.

However, both Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams and President-elect Biden's pick for the position, Dr. Vivek Murthy, believe that the new strain does not pose a threat as long as Americans continue to observe basic health policies as suggested by the CDC guidelines.

Adams cautioned that the public should remember that viruses mutate "all the time," but that it does not necessarily make them more dangerous.

"We don’t even know if it’s really more contagious yet or not, or if it just happened to be a strain that was involved in a super-spreader event," Adams told "Face the Nation" host Margaret Brennan. "Right now, we have no indications that it is going to hurt our ability to continue vaccinating people or that it is any more dangerous or deadly than the strains that are out there and we currently know about."

RainMaker 12-21-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 3319195)

She is 31 and from what we know a healthy individual. She has the ability to socially distance unlike many other jobs.

My main issue is people like Joni Ernst who was pro-virus for the past year cutting the line to get a vaccine. Reap what you sow bitch.

GrantDawg 12-21-2020 06:55 PM

Mock Joni Ernst for her hypocracy, but still televise her getting that shot. Can you imagine the level of crazy the conspiracy theories would get if no Republicans got the vaccine?

Brian Swartz 12-21-2020 06:58 PM

Pro-virus? What policy positions are pro-virus?

Edward64 12-21-2020 07:05 PM

The below questionnaire is to gauge where you may be in line.

New tool tells you when you may be able to get COVID-19 vaccine
Quote:

A new online tool shows Americans when they may be able to get the coronavirus vaccine.

While the COVID-19 shot began being administered to healthcare workers across the country last Monday, the general public isn’t expected to get access until the spring or summer.

Using data from the Vaccine Allocation Planner tool by Ariadne Labs and the Surgo Foundation, ABC News created a questionnaire that helps people find out where they stand in the vaccine line.
How many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you?

My result is no surprise.
Quote:

There are an estimated 8,639,496 people in such groups in Georgia, which means about 81% of the state population will probably get the COVID-19 vaccine before you. These groups include high risk workers in health care facilities, first responders, people with significant health problems, nursing home residents, teachers, transportation workers, people over 65, and food and retail workers.

Locally, in Forsyth, Georgia, There are an estimated 159,744 people in phases before you.

GrantDawg 12-21-2020 07:09 PM

I am phase 1b. Only 6% of people should be ahead of me. We'll see. I bet I will be lucky to get it in phase 2

Thomkal 12-21-2020 07:53 PM

Thanks for the link to the tools Edward

Edward64 12-21-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3319272)
Thanks for the link to the tools Edward

You are welcome.

FWIW, I don't want it in Dec but I don't want it last either. Thinking about spending $25K to bribe someone to cut in line :)

whomario 12-21-2020 07:57 PM

Scott fucking Atlas getting a WSJ opinion to blame HC professionals for spreading disinformation is such a 'perfect' way to end 2020 that i have to wonder if that really was meant to be released Dec 31. What a shitshow.

Edward64 12-22-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3319256)

Heh, good point. How about "not believing in the severity/danger of coronavirus".

Edward64 12-22-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3319262)
I am phase 1b. Only 6% of people should be ahead of me. We'll see. I bet I will be lucky to get it in phase 2

Damn elitist.

Flasch186 12-22-2020 08:24 AM

Apparently, according to the tool I may never get the Vaccine.

PilotMan 12-22-2020 12:02 PM

Phase 2 for me from the looks of it.

NobodyHere 12-22-2020 12:20 PM

Only 2 million people ahead of me in my state.

Edward64 12-22-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3319361)
Only 2 million people ahead of me in my state.

And you are complaining?

8.6M ahead of me.

JPhillips 12-22-2020 02:52 PM

SO many people at my wife's work won't take it that she may get in tomorrow or Thursday.

Edward64 12-22-2020 03:24 PM

Birx is resigning. She was hypocritical and didn't think her directions to regular folks applied to her. I don't think she needed to resign, just a heart felt apology that she screwed up would have been okay.

Might also have been miffed that Biden seemed to have preferred Fauci.

NobodyHere 12-22-2020 04:00 PM

PilotMan 12-22-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3319383)
Birx is resigning. She was hypocritical and didn't think her directions to regular folks applied to her. I don't think she needed to resign, just a heart felt apology that she screwed up would have been okay.

Might also have been miffed that Biden seemed to have preferred Fauci.

Is she resigning under trump? I don't see Biden really playing into it at the moment. Or am I missing something?

RainMaker 12-22-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3319256)

If you are pushing policy or conspiracy theories that result in the virus spreading, you are pro-virus. Just as if she was consistently pushing policies that led to war, I'd consider her and others pro-war.

RainMaker 12-22-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3319392)
Is she resigning under trump? I don't see Biden really playing into it at the moment. Or am I missing something?

Was pretty vague but it just sounds like she won't be working for the Biden administration. My guess is they told her she was gone when they take over and resigning is a nicer way of leaving. Can maybe salvage a shred of whats left of her reputation.

Edward64 12-22-2020 04:28 PM

I find this very hard to believe ... can it be true that SF only had 173 coronavirus fatalities? I get it's city vs county (county is what is typically reported in GA) but the 173 seems extremely low.

Overdose deaths outnumber COVID-19 deaths more than 3 to 1 in San Francisco | TheHill
Quote:

Drug overdose fatalities in San Francisco this year outnumbered COVID-19 deaths by a 3 to 1 margin, as deaths related to the powerful painkiller fentanyl rose.

In 2020 alone, 621 people have died from drug overdoses in San Francisco, while the number of coronavirus fatalities were 173, The Associated Press reported.

RainMaker 12-22-2020 04:36 PM

They have had some of the strongest restrictions and high compliance rates. Plus a world class health system and department of health that made testing real easy for anyone.

I think people have said that the AIDS crisis in the city helped build a great health infrastructure for today.

PilotMan 12-22-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3319396)
I find this very hard to believe ... can it be true that SF only had 173 coronavirus fatalities? I get it's city vs county (county is what is typically reported in GA) but the 173 seems extremely low.

Overdose deaths outnumber COVID-19 deaths more than 3 to 1 in San Francisco | TheHill

The takeaway here, if the numbers are correct, is the great job dealing with the virus. Drugs are a threat to every city and they aren't going away with a vaccine. There are much more complex problems at play with drug and drug addiction than just dealing with prevention and emergency medical treatment of a virus.

BishopMVP 12-22-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3319395)
Was pretty vague but it just sounds like she won't be working for the Biden administration. My guess is they told her she was gone when they take over and resigning is a nicer way of leaving. Can maybe salvage a shred of whats left of her reputation.

Weird technical question - how do contracts work for political appointees at that level? Are they on month to month contracts with a set buyout if they're terminated?

Like if Birx is not wanted by Biden, but not being pushed out by Trump, isn't it basically at-will employment/allowed for the incoming administration to decline to keep anyone? Or is that a perception I have because people used to play by honorable rules, but the legal reality is murkier?

RainMaker 12-22-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3319415)
Weird technical question - how do contracts work for political appointees at that level? Are they on month to month contracts with a set buyout if they're terminated?

Like if Birx is not wanted by Biden, but not being pushed out by Trump, isn't it basically at-will employment/allowed for the incoming administration to decline to keep anyone? Or is that a perception I have because people used to play by honorable rules, but the legal reality is murkier?

She works at the discretion of the President. It doesn't appear she is going to be asked to be on his coronavirus task force. Biden could move her elsewhere into the shadows to avoid having to let her go, but my guess is she sees the writing on the wall.

Edward64 12-23-2020 04:57 PM

Texas and Florida doing it their own way, prioritizing the older folks before essential workers. I don't agree or disagree, don't think there is one right answer to sequencing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/23/covi...-of-shots.html
Quote:

Texas was among the first states to split from the CDC guidance. The state announced Monday that it is prioritizing those 65 years and older as well as those with certain medical conditions in its phase 1b vaccination plan, making front-line essential workers wait a bit longer.

“The focus on people who are age 65 and older or who have comorbidities will protect the most vulnerable populations,” said Imelda Garcia, chair of Texas’ expert vaccine allocation panel and associate commissioner for laboratory and infectious disease services at the Texas Department of State Health Services. “This approach ensures that Texans at the most severe risk from Covid-19 can be protected across races and ethnicities and regardless of where they work.”
:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis followed Texas on Tuesday, saying he intends to prioritize people over age 70 to be first to get the vaccine, not essential workers.

“The vaccines are going to be targeted where the risk is going to be greatest, and that is in our elderly population,” DeSantis said at a news briefing. “We are not going to put young, healthy workers ahead of our elderly, vulnerable population.”

miami_fan 12-24-2020 07:37 AM

I thought all the people 65 and older sacrificed their lives already on behalf of the economy.

Edward64 12-24-2020 01:31 PM

Let's hope that 2021 is the expected slow plodding of vaccinations, some bumps and acrimony, but largely completed by late-summer.

Because we apparently have mutated strains in UK (not new news), in South Africa (not quite new news but came out yesterday) and now in Nigeria (today's new news).

It's 50-50 right now whether we get the Zombie Apocalypse / 24 Days worse case scenario.

molson 12-24-2020 01:55 PM

Bloomerberg has a really nice vaccine tracker that they're updating throughout the day. Some of the states and countries report data a few days after the fact, so it's fair to say we're well over 3.3 million globally vaccinated so far, and 1.23 million in the U.S. Just a nice daily boost to your morale. At least 3 states have already vaccinated over 1% of their population (they're counting everyone who has started the 2 drug sequence).

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Edward64 12-24-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3319607)
Bloomerberg has a really nice vaccine tracker that they're updating throughout the day. Some of the states and countries report data a few days after the fact, so it's fair to say we're well over 3.3 million globally vaccinated so far, and 1.23 million in the U.S. Just a nice daily boost to your morale. At least 3 states have already vaccinated over 1% of their population (they're counting everyone who has started the 2 drug sequence).

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I read somewhere the goal was 20M vaccinated in the US in Dec. Likely be missing that goal but hopefully we can really get in gear in Jan or right after the inauguration.

I don't think we should be critical of missing that goal, this is all uncharted territory since polio/small pox mass vaccinations. Definitely a learning curve here.

JPhillips 12-24-2020 02:49 PM

My wife got the first dose yesterday.

Lathum 12-24-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3319616)
My wife got the first dose yesterday.

How does she feel?

JPhillips 12-24-2020 03:45 PM

A bit sore in the arm, but otherwise fine.

Brian Swartz 12-24-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64
It's 50-50 right now whether we get the Zombie Apocalypse / 24 Days worse case scenario.

I'm assuming this is a joke, but I'm not sure.

Edward64 12-24-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3319640)
I'm assuming this is a joke, but I'm not sure.

We haven't heard from Atocep for the past couple days, and he was the first of us to get a shot.

So like History Channel Ancient Aliens series "... could it be that Atocep is now slowing turning into a zombie or a rager?"

Edward64 12-25-2020 07:52 PM

I don't know what the big deal is with people having allergic reactions to the vaccines. Yeah, the first time it was interesting and nice to know there is a process to resolve it (e.g. epipens). But does MSM have to report (seemingly) every time it happens now?

Approx 1M+ have been vaccinated, and there have been < 10 bad allergic reactions, all taken care of.

Let me know if someone dies or something really, really bad happens. Otherwise, just keep on saying vaccines are safe and that if you have an allergic reaction, the health care workers know what to do etc.

Edward64 12-25-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3319606)
Let's hope that 2021 is the expected slow plodding of vaccinations, some bumps and acrimony, but largely completed by late-summer.

Because we apparently have mutated strains in UK (not new news), in South Africa (not quite new news but came out yesterday) and now in Nigeria (today's new news).

Add France to the list of a new variant.

So let's up the odds to 60-40 now :)

miami_fan 12-25-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3319724)
I don't know what the big deal is with people having allergic reactions to the vaccines. Yeah, the first time it was interesting and nice to know there is a process to resolve it (e.g. epipens). But does MSM have to report (seemingly) every time it happens now?

Approx 1M+ have been vaccinated, and there have been < 10 bad allergic reactions, all taken care of.

Let me know if someone dies or something really, really bad happens. Otherwise, just keep on saying vaccines are safe and that if you have an allergic reaction, the health care workers know what to do etc.

The reporting of the <10 bad allergic reactions are not meant for you. They are meant for the record to show that they did report the reaction and did not hide them. It will not make that big of a difference because for anti vaxxers, the coverage of those bad reactions should be covered in the way 9/11 was covered.

Thems the rules of the game until told otherwise.

Edward64 12-25-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3319729)
The reporting of the <10 bad allergic reactions are not meant for you. They are meant for the record to show that they did report the reaction and did not hide them. It will not make that big of a difference because for anti vaxxers, the coverage of those bad reactions should be covered in the way 9/11 was covered.

Thems the rules of the game until told otherwise.

Okay, I see what you are saying. I can buy that.