Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

cartman 03-13-2020 11:48 AM

Was supposed to travel to Florida next weekend, but that trip just got cancelled. It was partially for work, but also to go to a celebration of life for my friend's son that suddenly passed away about a month ago. They decided to postpone the gathering until a later date.

henry296 03-13-2020 11:54 AM

I'm not sure if interaction with just one or two people with the virus makes it a certainty you will catch it. Based on the Utah Jazz data, there were 2 people with the virus out of the 58 people they tested who had close contact with them. We know about how long it takes to develop symptoms, but I'm not sure how long after the interaction a negative test is conclusive.

My other question is after you test positive and the symptoms pass are you still contagious. With other viruses, like the flu once you are symptom free for 1 day you can return to work. I think most mild cases only last a couple of days so if you are clear then you could return to work and not have to be isolated for 14 days.

spleen1015 03-13-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 3268609)
I'm not sure if interaction with just one or two people with the virus makes it a certainty you will catch it. Based on the Utah Jazz data, there were 2 people with the virus out of the 58 people they tested who had close contact with them. We know about how long it takes to develop symptoms, but I'm not sure how long after the interaction a negative test is conclusive.

My other question is after you test positive and the symptoms pass are you still contagious. With other viruses, like the flu once you are symptom free for 1 day you can return to work. I think most mild cases only last a couple of days so if you are clear then you could return to work and not have to be isolated for 14 days.

Sanjay Gupta was on CNN last night and he said you were still contagious after your symptoms go away. I think he said for a 3-5 day period afterwards. I might have the number of days wrong though.

NobodyHere 03-13-2020 01:38 PM

Ohio is up to 13 people confirmed and 159 with tests pending.

Edward64 03-13-2020 01:44 PM

Delta announcing 40% reduction in capacity over next few months.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/busin...uts/index.html
Quote:

Delta Air Lines announced major cuts to its capacity Friday because of the coronavirus. The company said it is facing worse conditions and making deeper cuts than after the 9/11 terror attacks.

"The speed of the demand fall-off is unlike anything we've seen -- and we've seen a lot in our business," CEO Ed Bastian wrote in a memo to employees that was obtained by CNN.

The company will make an "overall capacity reduction in the next few months of 40% -- the largest capacity reduction in Delta's history, including 2001," Bastian wrote. "The situation is fluid and likely to be getting worse."
The cuts include parking up to 300 of its aircraft.

cartman 03-13-2020 01:53 PM

One of the people who tested positive in Austin was the wife of the UT president.

COVID-19 Identified within UT Community | Office of the President | The University of Texas at Austin

Lathum 03-13-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3268604)
Ted Cruz is hopelessly power-driven, and says and does whatever he thinks he needs to say and do in the moment in order to maintain/increase his power. Full stop.

Ted Cruz is also smart--smart enough to understand where this is headed. After things go terribly, being the conservative Republican who said and did all the right things could help him tremendously as his Party attempts to recover/rebuild. Numerous conservative pundits and publications are starting to grumble about the administration's response--not just NeverTrumpers, but some who have been complete bootlickers up to now. My guess is that he's angling for stature among that group.

Cruz also hates Trump and would love to be the one who comes out looking good. He knows the shit will hit the fan soon and a lot of Trumps demographic will be hit hard. He is betting they turn on him.

sterlingice 03-13-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3268544)
Credit where it's due... this guy is acting like the adult in the room
.@SenTedCruz extends quarantine. pic.twitter.com/PjBwl7g0MI
— Julie Fine (@JulieFineNBC5) March 13, 2020

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3268589)
#COVID19 is not a Democratic virus or a Republican virus. It is a dangerous virus. This is a serious public health crisis, and we need to take it seriously. pic.twitter.com/24LXuZs0MW
— Senator Ted Cruz (@SenTedCruz) March 13, 2020
Hard to believe, but Ted Cruz is saying and doing all the right things.

It's kindof amazing, I know... oh wait, of course:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3268604)
Ted Cruz is hopelessly power-driven, and says and does whatever he thinks he needs to say and do in the moment in order to maintain/increase his power. Full stop.

Ted Cruz is also smart--smart enough to understand where this is headed. After things go terribly, being the conservative Republican who said and did all the right things could help him tremendously as his Party attempts to recover/rebuild. Numerous conservative pundits and publications are starting to grumble about the administration's response--not just NeverTrumpers, but some who have been complete bootlickers up to now. My guess is that he's angling for stature among that group.

SI

sterlingice 03-13-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3268582)
But now Brazil is saying Bolsonaro tested negative.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/607759/

Of course, the test is only like 60% effective and gives a lot of false negatives:

Quote:

“The sensitivity can be less than 100 percent and still be very useful,” Ko says, in many cases. But as that number falls, so does the usefulness of any given result. In China, the sensitivity of tests has been reported to be as low as 30 to 60 percent—meaning roughly half of the people who actually had the virus had negative test results. Using repeated testing was found to increase the sensitivity to 71 percent. But that means a negative test still couldn’t fully reassure someone like the teacher that he definitely doesn’t have the virus. At that level of sensitivity, Ko says, “if you’re especially risk-averse, do you just say: ‘If you have a cold, stay home’?”

SI

Lathum 03-13-2020 02:15 PM

Guy on FOX News even saying The White House had to walk back many statements from 2 nights ago and he has to be 100% "pure" with what he says today. Also ctitical of McConnell and the senate about wanting to go on break.

It will be interesting to see if Trump gets turned on at some point by more moderates.

PilotMan 03-13-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3268651)

It will be interesting to see if Trump gets turned on.

Dude, what do you think Fox news is for?

JPhillips 03-13-2020 02:21 PM

Almost 100 new cases in NY today. Now that testing is ramping up, I expect these numbers to go much higher.

Lathum 03-13-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3268654)
Dude, what do you think Fox news is for?

haha, well played

Thomkal 03-13-2020 02:32 PM

Louisiana postpones its 2020 primary due to the virus

sterlingice 03-13-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3268658)
Louisiana postpones its 2020 primary due to the virus

I've wondered when these political chips will start falling.

SI

Thomkal 03-13-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3268662)
I've wondered when these political chips will start falling.

SI

Yeah me too, a lot of complaining about this-that they should do it by mail.

thesloppy 03-13-2020 03:02 PM

Karlie Kloss's father asked Facebook group for coronavirus recommendations for Jared Kushner: report

sterlingice 03-13-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3268490)
So, if Rudy Gobert doesn’t get the virus yesterday, do we still have all sports playing today? I think we do. I’m not saying it’s wrong either, it’s just crazy if you think about it.

In a weird way, Gobert and his selfish, stupid actions may have saved lives. I think we were still a week ahead of a lot of these cancellations and quarantines and the announcements of him and then the NBA cancelling (and Tom Hanks) may have saved lives (or at least delayed things).

SI

Lathum 03-13-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3268709)
In a weird way, Gobert and his selfish, stupid actions may have saved lives. I think we were still a week ahead of a lot of these cancellations and quarantines and the announcements of him and then the NBA cancelling (and Tom Hanks) may have saved lives (or at least delayed things).

SI

Totally agree. It also helps that it was a player from the league with the most progressive commish.

Lathum 03-13-2020 04:16 PM

Did the doctor lady say when that website would be live?

miami_fan 03-13-2020 04:44 PM

All Florida schools are now closed for two weeks.

Brian Swartz 03-13-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked
I am going to avoid most restaurants at all costs. When there is an epidemic, I'm going to avoid the places where potentially unhygienic people are touching my food, let alone people who are more likely to work sick because they need the money. No danke! I would imagine most restaurants will have to temporarily close over the next few weeks and then apply for bailouts.

Thanks for everyone who reported in on what's happening in your areas. I think the above quote here is entirely the appropriate response for the grater good and is likely what will end up happening. I'm not encouraged by the early returns on how my particular company is reacting (or more accurately, not reacting) but there is precedent in the past from the upper levels - they've paid everybody reasonable amounts of hours in single restaurants when there was a fire to stay home until the store was rebuilt, etc. Whether that kind of thing will happen in this situation for a much larger group for the length of time required? All of that is still very much up in the air.

molson 03-13-2020 05:29 PM

It's been fun to get an email from every business that has my email address to assure me that their employees wash their hands a lot.

thesloppy 03-13-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3268747)
It's been fun to get an email from every business that has my email address to assure me that their employees wash their hands a lot.

I think I wagered $20 each at Fan Duel & Draft Kings like 3 years ago, but I got email blasts from both of them letting me know that they would still be providing me with ways to win during these uncertain times, which has been reassuring.

JPhillips 03-13-2020 06:06 PM

About that website Trump promoted...

Vegas Vic 03-13-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

I got several of those, plus this one from Supercuts that included

“We kindly request that if you are not feeling well, please reschedule your visit for when you are feeling better for the safety of our team and other customers.”

cartman 03-13-2020 06:11 PM

Lathum 03-13-2020 07:04 PM

My kids school closed next 2 weeks. Looks like I am homeschooling. They sent home a huge packet of work.

PilotMan 03-13-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

I can call the car dealership and it might be possible to have my test drive brought to me at home. That's a time killer and a half!

rjolley 03-13-2020 07:26 PM

Kids are home for 4 weeks...3 weeks off plus spring break. No work was sent home. We have a few ideas to keep them doing school work.

I'm tired of getting the emails about what X company is doing to combat coronavirus. It's starting to make me wonder if they'll keep with these measures after this is over or if they'll go back to the not so clean practices they were following before.

ColtCrazy 03-13-2020 07:32 PM

My school district is shutting down next week. A week of e-learning and, thanks to a mild winter, 2 weeks of spring break. Gives us 3 weeks of no students and a chance to ride out the worst of it (hopefully). Today was a lot of stress for teachers to prepare and support staff to wonder about getting paid. Thankfully, my district opted to have support staff come in and work so they can get paid. Will find some creative ways to use them!

JAG 03-13-2020 07:50 PM

Governor of Minnesota stated they are keeping schools open for now, declared a peacetime emergency and recommended no 250+ gatherings but did not ban them. MN is up to 14 cases, supposedly all from travel rather than community spread. The additional 5 cases from yesterday were from 250 tests conducted in the past 24 hours.

JPhillips 03-13-2020 08:46 PM

Diners at restaurants in Seattle are down almost 60% from this time last year.

GrantDawg 03-13-2020 09:12 PM

My son's school is closed for an indefinite time. It will be at least two weeks. They are doing some online course work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Edward64 03-13-2020 09:21 PM

Not confirmed this is the final version but best I could find on details on the agreement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/13/coro...each-deal.html
Quote:

When Pelosi announced the agreement, she said the legislation includes:
  • Free coronavirus testing for all who need it, including those without insurance
  • Up to two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave
  • Stronger unemployment insurance for furloughed workers
  • Buttressing SNAP and other food programs for school children and seniors
  • More money for Medicaid, the joint federal and state insurance program for low-income Americans

So the obvious question is how is treatment going to be paid? I assume I'll do the 20% copay but do we have reassurances that (1) treatment will be taken care of by my insurance and (2) the 20% copay of X, that X is a reasonable amount.

Lathum 03-13-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3268760)

Good friends of mine own a bar in Belltown. They said a lot of restaurants are considering closing.

Brian Swartz 03-13-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips

Thanks for this. Seattle seems to me to be a reasonable baseline for where things may end up before they get better.

miami_fan 03-13-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3268578)
Observations upon my return from the local Publix.

1. A bit more crowded than usual but nowhere near as crowded as hurricane prep time.

2. An older lady demanded that she wipe down the cart handle before she would allow me to take back her cart for her. She had just finished sanitizing her hands

3. Sandwich line was empty. As in I could have walked straight up and ordered. I have never seen that before after 11am

4. Still no TP, hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes. Plenty of Bounty paper towels. I am assuming they just got a shipment in or else people hate Bounty.

5. Message to the guy who on Monday was ripping the Little League for being "snowflakes" after the banning of high fives in the "good game" line. YOU can't be the guy now requesting to bump elbows as a greeting!

5. Passed by McDonald's on the way. Parking lot and drive thru pretty empty for this time of day.

I went back up to Publix to get the wife some coffee creamer.

OMFG! What a difference ten hours made! I guess everyone is taking it seriously now. Empty shelves galore. They did have the coffee creamer though.

I talked with a cashier I know and she said the last fours hours was worse than anything she has during the hurricane season.

tarcone 03-13-2020 09:48 PM

Went to Sams club. Busy. Stocked up. Got 5 containers of disinfectant wipes and 120 Slim Jims.

Im ready.

thesloppy 03-13-2020 10:02 PM

bhlloy 03-13-2020 11:47 PM

My wife's employees dad thinks he has it and was tested, but didn't tell his daughter who lives with him who continued to go to work the next day. We were planning on social distancing but looks like that might become enforced quarantine... he gets his results on Monday or Tuesday.

As of around 9pm, supermarkets in the LA area appear to be completely cleaned out according to a few of my coworkers who shopped around a bit. The panic is well and truly here folks.

MrBug708 03-13-2020 11:54 PM

My district and pretty much all the local districts in Los Angeles are shutting down.

A lot of stuff off the aisles. A lot of stuff still around. But no toilet paper to be found.

My SIL's roommate tested positive for it up in Seattle. She's been sick the last couple of days, so Im sure she has it.

molson 03-14-2020 12:11 AM

Norm Macdonald still out there killing, with brand new coronavirus material.

Norm Macdonald does standup about coronavirus - YouTube

Brian Swartz 03-14-2020 12:39 AM

It occurs to me that while we'll never know probably how hard they are hit, this might be one time when North Korea's super-paranoid approach actually works to their benefit.

Edward64 03-14-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3268777)
It occurs to me that while we'll never know probably how hard they are hit, this might be one time when North Korea's super-paranoid approach actually works to their benefit.

FWIW

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Quote:

The U.S. is “fairly certain” that there are coronavirus cases in North Korea, despite denials by Pyongyang, because of a lack of military activity, according to a senior American army commander.

North Korea’s military has “fundamentally been on lockdown” for almost a month and didn’t fly a single aircraft for 24 days before resuming its routine training, Commander of the U.S. Forces Korea Robert Abrams told reporters in a teleconference briefing on Friday.

“You know, you’ve seen the public statements by North Korea that they claim that they have no Covid-19 cases,” he said. “It is a closed-off nation, so we can’t say emphatically that they have cases, but we’re fairly certain they do.”

miami_fan 03-14-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjolley (Post 3268756)
I'm tired of getting the emails about what X company is doing to combat coronavirus. It's starting to make me wonder if they'll keep with these measures after this is over or if they'll go back to the not so clean practices they were following before.

This. Like I get it, everyone has their own standards for cleanliness and there is inherent risk in going out to eat, going to the gym, etc. Most of us have either been in these service businesses or know someone who has and know the horror stories. Some of these establishments are telling on themselves when they talk about the extra cleaning that they have begun to do. Especially when they end up side by side with a similar establishment and a comparison can be made.

GrantDawg 03-14-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3268783)
This. Like I get it, everyone has their own standards for cleanliness and there is inherent risk in going out to eat, going to the gym, etc. Most of us have either been in these service businesses or know someone who has and know the horror stories. Some of these establishments are telling on themselves when they talk about the extra cleaning that they have begun to do. Especially when they end up side by side with a similar establishment and a comparison can be made.

"We at Jimbo's Grill and Gator Wrestling Circus are very concerned about the Corona virus. So much concerned in fact we actually went out and bought hand soap! Now we are requiring our employees to wash their hands once a day (or at least once between two shifts)...."

Toddzilla 03-14-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3268777)

Well, they did pull out everyone's teeth during world war z

Edward64 03-14-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 3268788)

I was about to say the same thing!

Good to know there is another fan here.

Lathum 03-14-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 3268788)

exactly what I thought of