Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96561)

Lathum 03-23-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3270867)
Yes kindergarten next year. I figure we did pay them for March and totally understandable that nobody saw anything happening this quickly and would never expect a refund. Mine is for April and May which I am 99.9% certain will not happen.

In you situation I would just cancel depending on the contract in place. If April and May don't happen, and you don't need the spots next year whats the point. Maybe a couple weeks in June? Doesn't seem worth it.

spleen1015 03-23-2020 10:21 AM

'Nature is taking back Venice': wildlife returns to tourist-free city | Environment | The Guardian

Flasch186 03-23-2020 10:27 AM

The idea that the Federal Govt isn't the ONLY buyer and then distributing the PPE and such is criminal. They've literally created a desperate buyer pool for limited supplies and the American People are going to die because of it. There are so many things occurring that are just baffling and scream of incompetence that I might have to take it to the other thread. I used to think that no American would die based on the incompetence of ouur politicians yet I was proven wrong again similarly to when I thought we'd hit a bottom of our morality...wrong again.

Arles 03-23-2020 10:35 AM

We are struggling with how to handle refunds for Little League. It looks like we won't have a season (we are still holding onto a 1% chance we can have the playoffs in May/June). We charged $150 a kid, but already gave our full personalized uniforms (around $45 a kid) and played about 5 weeks of practices/games (had to pay for fields, etc). In the event we have to cancel the season, we are trying to figure out how to handle this. One board member thinks we shouldn't do anything (no refunds since they played for 1 month+). Another wants to move the season to the fall (that's a no from me as I am off this summer and don't want to be roped in another year - plus a big chunk of kids play club/other sports which makes allowances in the spring, but not the fall).

My thinking is we figure expenses (probably $45 a kid for unis, prorate the field and other expenses to this point - prob $30-35 a kid) and then give back as much as we can as a refund. My guess would be around $70-75. What do you guys think? Giving that big of a refund would make things pretty tight going into next year, but I'm not sure it is fair to not refund a family if they paid $300 for two kids to play baseball from Feb-May and they only got 5 weeks.

albionmoonlight 03-23-2020 10:36 AM

Partial refund seems like the best option.

Have parents pay for what was consumed, and they get the rest back.

JPhillips 03-23-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasch186 (Post 3270876)
The idea that the Federal Govt isn't the ONLY buyer and then distributing the PPE and such is criminal. They've literally created a desperate buyer pool for limited supplies and the American People are going to die because of it. There are so many things occurring that are just baffling and scream of incompetence that I might have to take it to the other thread. I used to think that no American would die based on the incompetence of ouur politicians yet I was proven wrong again similarly to when I thought we'd hit a bottom of our morality...wrong again.

It's worse than incompetence. We know companies have lobbied the WH not to use it and we know that states and cities are bidding up the prices in order to get what's available.

It's all about companies making more profits.

Vince, Pt. II 03-23-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3270881)

+1

This seems to be the most sensible option. Probably still causes outrage, because people are going to people, but yeah.

JPhillips 03-23-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

I basically support this. I'd be willing to be transparent on what was spent and what needs to be in place for the coming year and then give back the rest.

Arles 03-23-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3270885)
I basically support this. I'd be willing to be transparent on what was spent and what needs to be in place for the coming year and then give back the rest.

Yeah, this is almost exactly what I said. We just break down how we came up with the refund calculation. As one guy said, we can't give $50,000 in refunds if we only have $30,000.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

:withstupid:

Poli 03-23-2020 10:48 AM

Partial seems fair...and I'm guessing that might be what I can expect when our flag league is cancelled. Maybe with our family camp/vacation in June as well.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2020 10:48 AM

Our kids' soccer league played one game before the shutdown. They've closed until 4/1 and the last communication was that they'd try to condense the season (multiple games per weekend) into April and early May. I, uh, don't see that happening.

bob 03-23-2020 11:01 AM

Lots of organizations struggling with the idea of refunds. See airlines but another one I've heard of is concert tickets. Shows are postponed, not cancelled, with people being told once dates are rescheduled they can either keep the ticket or get a refund. But very very few shows are actually being rescheduled so money is being held hostage.

Brian Swartz 03-23-2020 11:09 AM

Surgeon General still talking about containment. And also about other needed things like people not staying at home and taking the outbreak seriously, but I just don't see how someone can look at the current situation and still be thinking containment is a viable option. I thought it was a week and a half ago, and I was probably already wrong then, but now? New York alone proves that isn't a thing.

Lathum 03-23-2020 11:19 AM

Klobuchars husband positive and in the hospital.

JPhillips 03-23-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270897)
Surgeon General still talking about containment. And also about other needed things like people not staying at home and taking the outbreak seriously, but I just don't see how someone can look at the current situation and still be thinking containment is a viable option. I thought it was a week and a half ago, and I was probably already wrong then, but now? New York alone proves that isn't a thing.

Most of the country isn't in the position of NYC. Containment in, for example, my hometown in rural Ohio is absolutely still possible.

spleen1015 03-23-2020 11:24 AM

Take this for what it is worth.

The CEO of my company is one of the CEOs that have been invited to the WH during all of this, travel & leisure industry.

It has been said that he has informed our leadership to expect a federal government stay at home order to come out before Wednesday. So, work on providing folks with the means to work from home as quickly as possible, as much as possible.

I heard this from someone outside of IT who says their VP has told them this.

So, who knows how much is true.

Brian Swartz 03-23-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips
Containment in, for example, my hometown in rural Ohio is absolutely still possible.

I doubt very much it's possible in most big cities. Containment in the broader picture is gone. In certain areas such as you describe? Sure. But we've never had enough testing available for long enough to get to the point of even knowing how big the problem actually is, which means it's far worse than the number of cases tell us. Not an issue for me as I live in a rural area, but that's not most of the people in the country.

Poli 03-23-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3270892)
Our kids' soccer league played one game before the shutdown. They've closed until 4/1 and the last communication was that they'd try to condense the season (multiple games per weekend) into April and early May. I, uh, don't see that happening.

Flag ball is trying something similar out here...and I mean, come on.

JPhillips 03-23-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Swartz (Post 3270912)
I doubt very much it's possible in most big cities. Containment in the broader picture is gone. In certain areas such as you describe? Sure. But we've never had enough testing available for long enough to get to the point of even knowing how big the problem actually is, which means it's far worse than the number of cases tell us. Not an issue for me as I live in a rural area, but that's not most of the people in the country.

Yeah, urban areas are tough. We'll need different strategies for different areas. Unfortunately, the President and the GOP seem to be moving to a herd immunity idea that will get a lot of people killed.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2020 12:07 PM

NC schools closed through May 15th now. Many businesses closed through May 15th as well.

larrymcg421 03-23-2020 12:18 PM

I can't imagine any schools are going to re-open for this semester. Fulton County is suggesting April 13, but that seems crazy now.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3270928)
NC schools closed through May 15th now. Many businesses closed through May 15th as well.

Per same presser: "don't use day care if you don't have to, but they can remain open."

Ironhead 03-23-2020 12:23 PM

When I was talking to my wife last night I realized that she was under the impression that the purpose of social distancing was to cause the virus to die out and then regular life would resume as normal. When I explained that what is happening now is just to slow the spread of the virus and make sure we don't overwhelm the healthcare system but that we are going to be dealing with this virus in some fashion for the foreseeable future she seemed devastated. And she is someone who has taken this very seriously.

It got me thinking - what percentage of Americans right now really understand the purpose of social distancing? Do people really understand that we are "flattening the curve" and just trying to space out or stagger the number of people who get sick or are they expecting to emerge from their homes in a month or two and have the virus completely gone?

ISiddiqui 03-23-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 3270931)
It got me thinking - what percentage of Americans right now really understand the purpose of social distancing? Do people really understand that we are "flattening the curve" and just trying to space out or stagger the number of people who get sick or are they expecting to emerge from their homes in a month or two and have the virus completely gone?

I bet it's the latter. Most folks probably think after 4-8 weeks everything will be exactly the same. I think it's slowly dawning on folks that it's to keep the healthcare system from collapsing and we are going to be dealing with some restrictions for a while (like maybe in May or June we can go back to gatherings of 50 or less and gradually move up from there).

I do wonder if this will have a permanent change in how we greet one another. Some East Asian countries already are not that fond of 'touch' greetings - whether that's hugs or handshakes. I am curious to see if that's the direction we go into.

Brian Swartz 03-23-2020 12:38 PM

My impression is also that a lot of people don't get it. Some do, as well, but for example one guy at work was wanting us to host a pancake breakfast for people. Came from a good place, but when we explained you can't have more than five people in at a time, have to be six feet apart, he was like 'oh nobody really cares about that'.

And then you have the beach stuff and whatnot. So there's a significant number at least who really don't get it, and I think it's going to be a hard blow to them when they realize what's really happening. I increasingly feel guilty for how good I have it. Will probably be going to give blood this week as that's something that is coming under pressure and it looks like I won't be working, but I have a relative who is also my landlord and is suspending my limited rent payments indefinitely, some savings, supportive family structure, etc.

Can't stop thinking about the fact that so many don't have that, are oblivious, and aside from obviously praying I can't do a darned thing to help them.

Vegas Vic 03-23-2020 12:43 PM

I hope it was worth it, you fucking morons.

Florida college students test positive for coronavirus after going on spring break

Lathum 03-23-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas Vic (Post 3270936)

The thing that really pisses me off if they won't grasp how their actions have now put other people in jeopardy.

Brian Swartz 03-23-2020 12:58 PM

Olympics postponed indefinitely, which was inevitable.

drip, drip, drip.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas Vic (Post 3270936)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270939)
The thing that really pisses me off if they won't grasp how their actions have now put other people in jeopardy.

When parents send their kids to Spring Break, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Some of them, I suppose, are good people.

sterlingice 03-23-2020 01:00 PM

I think a lot of it is also that people think they will just get mild symptoms and they'll tough through it like any disease. Only, it's pretty clear that healthy adults can get hit hard enough by this to have to go to the ER. And I think people are really in denial about that.

SI

JPhillips 03-23-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3270942)
When parents send their kids to Spring Break, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Some of them, I suppose, are good people.

lol

PilotMan 03-23-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

spleen1015 03-23-2020 01:07 PM

Every thought I have about spring break goes back to MTV in the 90s. I've never made a spring break trip and I feel like the only people that do are fucking idiots.

I've never been much of a partier though.

Arles 03-23-2020 01:11 PM

I still wonder if some people had COVID-19 back in February. I know a few people close to us (including my wife) had pretty brutal cases of the flu that took them out of commission for 4-5 days in late Feb. It would be nice if we could eventually come up with a way to see if we had it or currently carry it.

RainMaker 03-23-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3270879)
We are struggling with how to handle refunds for Little League. It looks like we won't have a season (we are still holding onto a 1% chance we can have the playoffs in May/June). We charged $150 a kid, but already gave our full personalized uniforms (around $45 a kid) and played about 5 weeks of practices/games (had to pay for fields, etc). In the event we have to cancel the season, we are trying to figure out how to handle this. One board member thinks we shouldn't do anything (no refunds since they played for 1 month+). Another wants to move the season to the fall (that's a no from me as I am off this summer and don't want to be roped in another year - plus a big chunk of kids play club/other sports which makes allowances in the spring, but not the fall).

My thinking is we figure expenses (probably $45 a kid for unis, prorate the field and other expenses to this point - prob $30-35 a kid) and then give back as much as we can as a refund. My guess would be around $70-75. What do you guys think? Giving that big of a refund would make things pretty tight going into next year, but I'm not sure it is fair to not refund a family if they paid $300 for two kids to play baseball from Feb-May and they only got 5 weeks.

I think partial refunds is fair. But I say be honest and explain everything you just said to us to them. Be clear with how you got the number.

Also maybe make a note that this is a non-profit (assuming you are) and that money will be extremely tight going into next season. That if there are any parents who don't wish to receive a refund, the money will be put toward the league moving forward. I think a lot of parents would be OK with that.

spleen1015 03-23-2020 01:15 PM

We went to Dave and Busters on Christmas Eve for a birthday party.

Of the 8 people that went, 6 of us got sick as hell with what we thought was the flu. All of the Covid symptoms. The 2 grandparents, over 65 both had it worse than the rest of us. The 21 year old and 16 year old are the 2 who didn't get sick.

I was down for 6 days, my wife down for 10.

The other 2 adults that were there swear we all got it then. I doubt it but you never know I guess.

Lathum 03-23-2020 01:19 PM

My 4th graders weekly writing assignment is

Do you prefer to stay home on the weekends or go out and do things around town. Write an essay to convince your parents to do whatever you prefer this weekend

solid troll job Ms. J. Well played.

Edward64 03-23-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3270959)
My 4th graders weekly writing assignment is

Do you prefer to stay home on the weekends or go out and do things around town. Write an essay to convince your parents to do whatever you prefer this weekend

solid troll job Ms. J. Well played.

Honestly, that would piss me off. I would write an email to her and cc the vice/principal and let your/my displeasure known.

Edward64 03-23-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3270956)
We went to Dave and Busters on Christmas Eve for a birthday party.

Of the 8 people that went, 6 of us got sick as hell with what we thought was the flu. All of the Covid symptoms. The 2 grandparents, over 65 both had it worse than the rest of us. The 21 year old and 16 year old are the 2 who didn't get sick.

I was down for 6 days, my wife down for 10.

The other 2 adults that were there swear we all got it then. I doubt it but you never know I guess.

Congrats, you are immune now. Go party !!

RainMaker 03-23-2020 01:28 PM

I imagine there will be a time where you can get tested for antibodies (maybe even now if they're using serum). If you find out you have them, that's probably a huge relief.

JPhillips 03-23-2020 01:30 PM

Utah Dem Ben McAdams hospitalized and on oxygen.

Jas_lov 03-23-2020 01:33 PM

I saw McAdams on one of the news shows a couple days ago. He's only 45 and seemed in good health. One of the myths is that it only affects old people so that's one reason the Spring Breakers think they're immune.

panerd 03-23-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3270963)
Congrats, you are immune now. Go party !!

I imagine there would actually be tremendous benefit. Volunteering, being able to work if you couldnt before, etc...

bob 03-23-2020 01:41 PM

That's assuming catching it once means you can't catch it again. Not sure if that is established.

panerd 03-23-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3270972)
That's assuming catching it once means you can't catch it again. Not sure if that is established.

Agree though most of the scientests seem to think that is the case. Viral load would be a concern though I suppose like the healthy doctors who die from it.

Lathum 03-23-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Hahahahaha!!!

Lathum 03-23-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3270962)
Honestly, that would piss me off. I would write an email to her and cc the vice/principal and let your/my displeasure known.

My guess is it was already part of whatever they would have been doing in class and no one thought to change it. I’m sure they were under tremendous pressure to get the packets out. My son and I actually had a nice moment of levity over it, which was good because this morning he had a full on melt down.

panerd 03-23-2020 01:51 PM

Wondering out loud as a hypochondriac myself... I wonder what the hospitalization numbers would look like if this were an unknown disease. For example 3 months ago I get a bad cold and what I think is bronchitis and unknowingly lug it out at home vs now if I get diagnosed with COVID19. Negliable number or significant?

AlexB 03-23-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3270952)
I still wonder if some people had COVID-19 back in February. I know a few people close to us (including my wife) had pretty brutal cases of the flu that took them out of commission for 4-5 days in late Feb. It would be nice if we could eventually come up with a way to see if we had it or currently carry it.

I know we’re working on an antibodies test that apparently only takes 10 minutes for a result, which will do exactly that.

Will really expand our knowledge of the number and severity of cases: if lots of people have had it and didn’t realise, that’s good news...