Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2018 College Football Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95283)

BYU 14 08-08-2018 03:16 PM

I was just coming back to post that, so apparently those issues requiring him to be closer to home weren't that serious. It would definitely be interesting to know the back story to this, but in the end not knowing the details I wish him the best.

BTW, I don't think Saban would have handled this as well as CP did if the transfer was reversed, given the fact that he has flipped over these types of things when they don't benefit his program.

dawgfan 08-08-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3214100)
BTW, I don't think Saban would have handled this as well as CP did if the transfer was reversed, given the fact that he has flipped over these types of things when they don't benefit his program.

I would guess Petersen determined that this situation wasn't one where it was worth making a stand. Given the general public opinion regarding student athletes I don't think the coach of a major football program denying a release for a kid who just unexpectedly lost an aunt & uncle and who's parents are going through a divorce would have played well. At all. Petersen would have been savaged in the media and in general public opinion. Those of us that follow recruiting and know a bit more about what's going on would have been drowned out.

Now, if this kid didn't have that backstory to lean on, I'm not so sure Petersen would have been so ready to let him go. I guess we'll see if this kind of poaching becomes more common whether he changes his approach.

Eaglesfan27 08-08-2018 05:53 PM

Distance from Reno to Seattle: 704 miles

Distance from Reno to Tuscaloosa: 2,239 miles

BYU 14 08-08-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3214113)
I would guess Petersen determined that this situation wasn't one where it was worth making a stand. Given the general public opinion regarding student athletes I don't think the coach of a major football program denying a release for a kid who just unexpectedly lost an aunt & uncle and who's parents are going through a divorce would have played well. At all. Petersen would have been savaged in the media and in general public opinion. Those of us that follow recruiting and know a bit more about what's going on would have been drowned out.

Now, if this kid didn't have that backstory to lean on, I'm not so sure Petersen would have been so ready to let him go. I guess we'll see if this kind of poaching becomes more common whether he changes his approach.

True but I think he is a bit more player friendly and measured than Saban. Peterson is one of my favorite coaches out there. Genuine guy who knows how to build a program. No disrespect to Saban, who is a helluva coach, but as a coach I would rather have my kid play for CP any day.

BYU 14 08-08-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 3214136)
Distance from Reno to Seattle: 704 miles

Distance from Reno to Tuscaloosa: 2,239 miles

Apparently this speaks to how bad Washington's geography program is :D

Atocep 08-08-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3214155)
Apparently this speaks to how bad Washington's geography program is :D

Or they're factoring in I-5 traffic.

CU Tiger 08-09-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3214100)
I was just coming back to post that, so apparently those issues requiring him to be closer to home weren't that serious. It would definitely be interesting to know the back story to this, but in the end not knowing the details I wish him the best.

Didn't get as much publicity, nationally, but the same situation played out in SC a few months back.

Josh Belk (DT) enrolled at Clemson in January. He checked in at 387lbs after playing in the low 300s in high school. He (got) worked to get his weight down to the 310s by the start of spring practice. But was told he was looking at a redshirt because Clemson was so deep at DL and he was out of shape. He was told during recruiting (by his own admission) that he would be given a chance to beat out a senior for PT and if not would redshirt.

Random family member was suddenly sick. He dropped out of Clemson, after a letter was released by "his" lawyer, and subsequently enrolled in South Carolina to be closer to home. To be fair it is much closer. Clemson was 120 miles away and SC is ~70 miles away. lol.

He weighed in at summer report last week at...368.

Now they are petitioning the NCAA to not sit a year as a transfer.

dawgfan 08-09-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3214154)
True but I think he is a bit more player friendly and measured than Saban. Peterson is one of my favorite coaches out there. Genuine guy who knows how to build a program. No disrespect to Saban, who is a helluva coach, but as a coach I would rather have my kid play for CP any day.

Agreed on all counts. I can't believe how lucky Washington got that Petersen was ready to move on from Boise when the job opened. I grew up in the Don James era and put him on a very high pedestal, but I think Petersen is in every respect an even better coach and person.

lungs 08-09-2018 11:35 AM

I'm really hoping CrescentMoonie will come back to tell us how much the Big Ten sucks this year.

Lathum 08-09-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3214098)
All moot, as he is signing with Alabama as expected. Because Tuscaloosa is so much closer to home in Reno than Seattle...

So which enterprising reporter will be checking in to see where his dad ends up and in what new job?

Yeah. Seems shady as hell.

Lathum 08-09-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3214154)

What he has done for the program is nothing short of amazing. I don't follow the recruiting the way Dawgfan does, but as a fellow UW alum I'm sure I take as much pleasure in watching these guys on gameday as anyone.

JPhillips 08-09-2018 12:26 PM

I know it's a fantasy, but it would be nice if a coach in this situation refused to let the player join his program because it was all predicated on dishonesty.

Butter 08-09-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lungs (Post 3214205)
I'm really hoping CrescentMoonie will come back to tell us how much the Big Ten sucks this year.

God I sure hope so.

The best was when Logan destroyed him when he posted in the ESPN+ thread after like 6 months away.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...6&postcount=35

Came back to post a couple token things in the NHL thread, but hasn't been around since June. Maybe he's just waiting for September?

CU Tiger 08-09-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3214209)
I know it's a fantasy, but it would be nice if a coach in this situation refused to let the player join his program because it was all predicated on dishonesty.

Sadly there are very, very few programs that would take that stance. Its all about winning and Jimmies and Joes rule the day there.

JPhillips 08-09-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3214215)
Sadly there are very, very few programs that would take that stance. Its all about winning and Jimmies and Joes rule the day there.

Of course. It would just be nice if all the values talk from big programs was backed up with a little action. Saban could lose this guy and still win the next four championships.

lungs 08-09-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3214212)
God I sure hope so.

The best was when Logan destroyed him when he posted in the ESPN+ thread after like 6 months away.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - ESPN announces "ESPN Plus"

Came back to post a couple token things in the NHL thread, but hasn't been around since June. Maybe he's just waiting for September?

Heh. I saw that. The timing of the disappearance was strictly coincidental!

Expectations are pretty high here in Wisconsin for 2018. It’ll be interesting to see if Alex Hornibrook will take the next step. He has talent at WR and of course the bread and butter of the rushing game should be there like always. I like the potential of the offensive unit.

Defensive line could be a weak spot with a few injuries claiming any depth.

Biggest hurdles to an undefeated regular season:
9/22 @Iowa
11/10 @ Penn St.

No Ohio State or Michigan State on the regular season schedule. They do play Michigan on the road also.

Anything less than winning the West should be a big disappointment.

dawgfan 08-09-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 3214207)
What he has done for the program is nothing short of amazing. I don't follow the recruiting the way Dawgfan does, but as a fellow UW alum I'm sure I take as much pleasure in watching these guys on gameday as anyone.

What's been fun is not only are they putting up the results on the field, but the way he runs the program and the values he emphasizes make it really easy to root for them. I appreciated certain aspects of Sarkisian, and there's no doubt he did some heavy lifting to get the program back on its feet and set the stage for a guy like Petersen to be interested in the job, but Sark also had has definite downsides in the way he ran the program and the values he projected.

General Mike 08-09-2018 05:41 PM

Hope springs eternal for this Rutgers fan, yet I’ve never been less interested in sports in general.

Logan 08-10-2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 3214212)
God I sure hope so.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - ESPN announces "ESPN Plus"

Show some respect Butter, he started a new job!

:cool:

Lathum 08-11-2018 05:56 AM

This is disgusting and I hope anyone complicit in this goes to prison.

Maryland Terrapins football culture toxic coach DJ Durkin

Kodos 08-11-2018 06:54 AM

Holy shit. There is something wrong with the culture of the Big Ten. Durkin and Court should be fired and put on trial.

General Mike 08-11-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3214375)
Holy shit. There is something wrong with the culture of the Big Ten. Durkin and Court should be fired and put on trial.

It’s the culture of big money athletics.

JonInMiddleGA 08-11-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Mike (Post 3214380)
It’s the culture of big money athletics.

Or a culture where too many people get dere widdle feewings hurt at the slightest hint of challenge.

If those guys missed clear signs of present danger on the heat related issue, fine, that's actionable.

But when things are coming from players (and perhaps former employees) so easily upset cause they get barked at? Sounds like a lot of what's described in the article is pretty well deserved, that there was a lot of (alleged) athletes in the program that needed to be gone.

The pussification of America continues, nothing new here.

RainMaker 08-11-2018 02:08 PM

If they really waited an hour before calling 911, you have to think there will be criminal charges. When it comes to heat stroke, minutes count and you'd have to think he'd have a better chance of surviving with proper medical attention right away.

You also have to wonder why a school with an athletic department budget of $100 million wouldn't have someone on their training staff who could spot the signs of heat stroke.

JPhillips 08-11-2018 02:12 PM

There should be no difference between acceptable behavior in the classroom and the athletic complex. You don't have to be abusive to motivate and discipline.

RainMaker 08-11-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3214398)
Or a culture where too many people get dere widdle feewings hurt at the slightest hint of challenge.

If those guys missed clear signs of present danger on the heat related issue, fine, that's actionable.

But when things are coming from players (and perhaps former employees) so easily upset cause they get barked at? Sounds like a lot of what's described in the article is pretty well deserved, that there was a lot of (alleged) athletes in the program that needed to be gone.

The pussification of America continues, nothing new here.

The real pussies are the one's who only talk shit and assault people when they know the other person can't fight back. I guarantee you none of the people involved in this would dare say or do the things to those football players once they don't have a scholarship to hold over their head. Reason of course being they would get their shit pushed in.

It's like pointing at a caged lion and calling him a pussy for not fighting back.

JonInMiddleGA 08-11-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3214402)
The real pussies are the one's who only talk shit and assault people when they know the other person can't fight back.

Newsflash: they don't have any reason to "fight back", their job is to do their job. Or quit stealing money from the athletic department (I actually thought that was a specific line that really ought to be used a LOT more often at most programs frankly ... I've sure as hell seen a lot of them at the programs I know best, I can't imagine its different too many places).

Reading the article, what constitutes a problem for some of these characters is laughable. They aren't any more spoiled brats in the country that some of these so-called athletes, the only thing missing from some of them is a shitzu to put in their purse. They're why I really hope a draft is never necessary, cause if things get to that point, the country is fucked.

Who am I kidding? We're already fucked if this is even a discussion.

RainMaker 08-11-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3214404)
Newsflash: they don't have any reason to "fight back", their job is to do their job. Or quit stealing money from the athletic department (I actually thought that was a specific line that really ought to be used a LOT more often at most programs frankly ... I've sure as hell seen a lot of them at the programs I know best, I can't imagine its different too many places).

Reading the article, what constitutes a problem for some of these characters is laughable. They aren't any more spoiled brats in the country that some of these so-called athletes, the only thing missing from some of them is a shitzu to put in their purse. They're why I really hope a draft is never necessary, cause if things get to that point, the country is fucked.

Who am I kidding? We're already fucked if this is even a discussion.

It's not a job. If the NCAA would like to change their rules and make it a job, by all means you may have a point. But a player can't say "I quit" and drive up to Rutgers and start "working" for them next week.

You and 99% of the country wouldn't make it 5 minutes into their workout without crumbling into the fetal position. Nor would you and others say any of these things within half a mile of these players.

Like I said, the real pussies are the one's who choose targets who can't fight back.

BishopMVP 08-11-2018 06:13 PM

So, Urban Meyer has been ordered to stay away from any contact with players/coaches, we're halfway through the 14 day timetable the university announced for their investigation... and they haven't met with Zach or Courtney Smith yet and the AD is on vacation?

I think Meyer couldn't care less if his assistants (or players) is committing DV unless it goes public, but if the university knew about Smith's 2009 DV arrest while at Florida when he was brought in, and Meyer passed the info up the chain in 2015 as he said, it sounds like the AD should be the fall guy here, not Meyer (or at the least go down with him.)

But it certainly seems like there's an internal power struggle going on with the BoT, so who knows which side they'll come down on. Even though nothing other than PR is holding them to it, giving themselves this 14 day timetable just seems dumber & dumber.

CU Tiger 08-11-2018 07:37 PM

Why does the investigation need to talk to Smith? Whether or not Zach abused her is irrelevant to the the Meyer case. If Meyer hard reasonable belief that he did, his contract require him to report it. Not to counsel, not to reprimand, but report. If he reported it he is covered, if he didn't he should swing. That simple.

Btw anyone else following the John Emery tweet saga?
If the NCAA wasn't a paper toothless tiger that would be a bigger story.

Ksyrup 08-11-2018 07:45 PM

I thought that tweet was fake. I saw something about it, but it clearly came from a fake Brett McMurphy account.

dawgfan 08-11-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3214437)
I thought that tweet was fake. I saw something about it, but it clearly came from a fake Brett McMurphy account.

Yeah, the tweet was a hoax from a fake account.

digamma 08-13-2018 10:47 AM

I laughed a number of times.

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday...mascot-is-good

JonInMiddleGA 08-13-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digamma (Post 3214536)
I laughed a number of times.

The companion logos might be almost as bad as the costume.
Not nearly as comical ... but nearly as awful.

dawgfan 08-17-2018 01:56 PM

Anonymous coaches list who they think run the cleanest programs

Good to hear that perception appears to mirror reality with regard to Chris Petersen.

PilotMan 08-17-2018 02:11 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...erch/37502621/

Bison have possibly the easiest schedule they have had in years. With up to 10 games at home if they host during the playoffs and can keep it clean, healthy and win during the season.

tarcone 08-17-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3214876)
Anonymous coaches list who they think run the cleanest programs

Good to hear that perception appears to mirror reality with regard to Chris Petersen.

Urban Meyer got a vote.

Not sure I take this one seriously.

But good press is good press.

Kodos 08-17-2018 07:21 PM

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-s...se-08-17-2018/

Speaking of good press....

PilotMan 08-17-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3214904)

Wow, I'm really glad I'm not that guy.

Scoobz0202 08-22-2018 12:25 PM

Should be finding out the fate of Urban meyer within the next couple hours.

He has been in meeting with the trustees for a couple hours. My guess? Suspension.

Ksyrup 08-22-2018 01:14 PM

My guess... 2 week suspension, coming back in time for the TCU game.

Ksyrup 08-22-2018 01:21 PM

This is kinda bizarre...

Why even say something like that?

JonInMiddleGA 08-22-2018 01:34 PM

I can't be reading that correctly.

He left a "good robust discussion" ... in order to get a book to read?

Da hell?

cartman 08-22-2018 01:36 PM

The book was "How to punish Western Kentucky for transgressions at Ohio State"

JPhillips 08-22-2018 01:38 PM

Clark isn't a trustee in the way some of the richer, more powerful folks are trustees. If he wants to sit in the back and read, I'm sure that's fine with the people making the decisions.

JonInMiddleGA 08-22-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3215384)
Clark isn't a trustee in the way some of the richer, more powerful folks are trustees. If he wants to sit in the back and read, I'm sure that's fine with the people making the decisions.

Fair point.

Scoobz0202 08-22-2018 03:54 PM

cartman 08-22-2018 04:08 PM

so, he's refusing to accept a banning?

JonInMiddleGA 08-22-2018 04:40 PM

So I guess this could come down to who has the actual authority, the BoT or the Univ. prez

I mean, one or the other has to have final say so on a matter of this sort I'd think. Or it could be one of those deals where the prez can suspend but then the board can overturn?

Scoobz0202 08-22-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3215405)
So I guess this could come down to who has the actual authority, the BoT or the Univ. prez

I mean, one or the other has to have final say so on a matter of this sort I'd think. Or it could be one of those deals where the prez can suspend but then the board can overturn?

From the same guy

ALSO, he just tweeted this