Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2018 College Football Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95283)

JonInMiddleGA 02-07-2019 10:17 PM

Amidst several high profile coaching changes in the GA high school ranks this off-season, I notice where the rumor mill has former Cartersville HC Joey King taking the WR coaching job at Coastal Carolina.

For those not connecting the dots, King (67-4 record, two state championships and four state title games in five seasons) was the HS coach of Trevor Lawrence.

CU Tiger 02-08-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3230782)
Amidst several high profile coaching changes in the GA high school ranks this off-season, I notice where the rumor mill has former Cartersville HC Joey King taking the WR coaching job at Coastal Carolina.

For those not connecting the dots, King (67-4 record, two state championships and four state title games in five seasons) was the HS coach of Trevor Lawrence.

And the OC of Coastal Carolina is.....Willy Korn

The former 5* (bullshit overinflated) rated QB who was the local Clemson savior signed in Tommy Bowden's last class.

BTW Willy finished his career at...North Greenville University. CU Tiger's son just signed at.....

I am just pointing out dots its up to you to decide if they connect.

JonInMiddleGA 02-08-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3230830)
And the OC of Coastal Carolina is.....Willy Korn

The former 5* (bullshit overinflated) rated QB who was the local Clemson savior signed in Tommy Bowden's last class.

BTW Willy finished his career at...North Greenville University. CU Tiger's son just signed at.....

I am just pointing out dots its up to you to decide if they connect.

LOL, I didn't even think about it in those terms, I just mentioned Lawrence to give folks some idea of how King went 67-4

Cartersville is a really strange situation for going on two decades now. King came from young assistant to supercoach, while his predecessor was 154-58-1 there in 18 seasons while going just 40-34 in 7 seasons (before and after) elsewhere (including 6-14 at my alma mater).

A combination of playing in a traditionally weak region allows them to roll up big numbers in the regular season (King was 59-1 in play across two regions, Barden before him had stretches of 38-2 & 36-4 sandwiched by losing seasons both times) AND enough high-level athletes to extend those runs in the post season

stevew 02-09-2019 09:01 AM

Fields got that waiver

Thomkal 02-09-2019 10:08 AM

I'm just glad that someone besides me is talking about Coastal Carolina :)

CU Tiger 02-09-2019 11:16 AM

Ok I promise this is the last post about Lil CU Tiger....
But this was really cool.

Having a cup of coffee this AM and reading along and find this article. Then being able to click on the player links and see what the coaches said about your kid. Its...man surreal?

Hit me in the feels. Also depressed me more that my best friend is leaving home soon
:'(

http://www.nguathletics.com/football...ruiting-cycle/

JonInMiddleGA 02-09-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3230875)
Ok I promise this is the last post about Lil CU Tiger....

It @!#%@#$ well better not be the last one :)

I know that ain't what you meant but, seriously, we've got a couple decades with each other around here -- quite a few of you remember when my soon-to-be-21-year-old was BORN -- this sort of stuff is a pretty bfd & we'd kinda like to be able to celebrate that shit with you.

tarcone 02-09-2019 12:05 PM

That is awesome. Im hoping my daughter wants to continue playing in college. That is my dream, I hope its hers.

bob 02-26-2019 12:49 PM

Georgia Tech’s 2020 home game w/Clemson has been moved to @MBStadium in Atlanta & will be the season opener.

Nice to see we have entered the “selling off of the important home games” phase of the program. At least GT didn’t sell the ND game too as was rumored.

bob 02-26-2019 01:06 PM

And I understand why its happening, but still, just wish it wasn’t the Clemson game. First we lose our AD to them, then we have to play there back to back seasons, then in 2019 our first game post triple option with new coach is them, then in 2020 we sell our home game against them and will likely play with the crowd 65%+ Clemson fans. Just sucks.

Edit: actually Radakovich gave Clemson the extra home game and then left to go there as AD. He also didn’t cancel the Russell Athletic contract when he should have, saddling GT with that for another 5 years as he walked out the door.

bob 02-26-2019 01:20 PM

Never mind, the real release is even worse:

Georgia Tech will host the following games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the home of the National Football League’s Atlanta Falcons:

2020 – Nov. 14 vs. Notre Dame
2021 – Date/opponent TBA
2022 – Sept. 5 (Labor Day) vs. Clemson – Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
2023 – Date opponent/TBA
2024 – Oct. 19 vs. Notre Dame

CU Tiger 02-26-2019 02:42 PM

You really should be celebrating this.
This is a BFD.
This will resonate with recruits.

Plus GT needs some buzz...and as the home team they can invite recruits to an NFL stadium on official visits.

I think Collins has the chance to do good things at GT.....IF they support him and spend some money/

bob 02-27-2019 07:48 AM

There could be other merits to this, but its about one thing alone - money.

And while you are certainly closer to recruits then I am, I'm not sure they will be all that impressed by moving a game 1 mile away to be played in front of an extra 17k of the opponents fans.

Collins has spent his entire time here preaching about BDS and the magic of big games at night on the Flats. I don't think he's a big fan of this regardless of what he's saying in public. And I doubt you would be a huge fan of Clemson moving their biggest games off campus either (is SC the biggest game for Clemson?)

JonInMiddleGA 02-27-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3232124)
You really should be celebrating this.
This is a BFD.
This will resonate with recruits.

Pretty doubtful IMO.

A conservative estimate would be that 700 high school players in-state each year have already played at MB themselves at least once (lowball 50/team X 14 teams that make title games). By the life of this deal, even with 50% repeat appearances, that's still over 1,500 players who've already played there over a four year HS career.

And how impressive is it going to be when they play in front of even more visiting fans than usual?

CU Tiger 02-27-2019 08:37 AM

I am a huge fan of the kick off classic and was stoked when we moved the Auburn game to Atlanta several years ago. Plus the cash influx from ESPN Chik-fil-a helps the budget.

We are also negotiating a new deal with UGA we wanted back to back Atlanta kick offs, UGA wanted Atlanta/Athens so they settled on Athens/Clemson/Atlanta.

The recruiting thing is "You are playing in an NFL stadium." NFL stars will be all over the sideline. National TV.

But to your overall point. Money is one thing GT needs a major influx of. DRAD ran through the cofferrs there (and he's doing the same at Clemson....I love all the new facilities but I hope he slows down before we are bankrupt - but if not Ill trade 2 NC and counting for a decade of suffering)

The other point is last time I went to BDS the stadium was half full. For recruits its better to see a full stadium full of passion, even if its opponent passion, than to look like what they play in front of on Friday night.

That isnt a knock on GT or BDS, it is one of my favorite venues actually. CPJ sucked the enthusiasm out of that place his last few years.

bob 02-27-2019 08:57 AM

This deal does nothing to change the half full stadium situation. ND / Clemson games were going to sell out anyway. Those aren't the games they need to worry about selling. Its the Duke / NC ones.

I'd probably be more ok with this if they dropped the games against Sister Mary's School of the Deaf and Blind and did an extra OOC game there each year against a marquee opponent vs moving in conference games (Clemson, 2021, 2023) or the ND games. Seems like that would make you more money too.

JonInMiddleGA 02-27-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3232179)
This deal does nothing to change the half full stadium situation. ND / Clemson games were going to sell out anyway. Those aren't the games they need to worry about selling. Its the Duke / NC ones.

Let's be honest: nothing is going to sell those out, not unless the opponent suddenly gets really good AND Tech suddenly gets good too.

Quote:

Seems like that would make you more money too.

The difference seems fairly negligible if you think about it.

Attendance for Alcorn State & Bowling Green this year was right at 40,000 each. Miami -- who draws better than the vast majority of possible opponents - drew 48,000. 8,000 more seats at about $40 a ticket is $320k ... in an athletic department budget of $84 million.

Mercer, Jacksonville State, Tulane, and Georgia Southern have all outdrawn the majority of conference opponents in the past few years.

bob 02-27-2019 11:14 AM

I was at that Bowling Green game. I don't care what they announced, there was no way 40k people were there.

JonInMiddleGA 02-27-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3232187)
I was at that Bowling Green game. I don't care what they announced, there was no way 40k people were there.

Just as there probably wasn't the right number for a lot of games. But one would think the fudging is relatively straightforward (though likely that one had more unused tickets than some)

JonInMiddleGA 02-27-2019 01:58 PM

One thing in GT's favor at least, scheduling should get a tad easier.

Even Bowling Green initially rejected the offer to come play because they didn't want to deal with preparing for the triple option.

JPhillips 03-04-2019 10:07 AM

It's crazy that Iowa might have produced two first round TEs.

tarcone 03-04-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3232515)
It's crazy that Iowa might have produced two first round TEs.

Yeah, they are special. And totally different. I like Hock better, but the pros are going to like Fants athleticism more.

They were fun to watch when they were used.

BishopMVP 03-13-2019 01:22 PM

News reports make the bribery scandal sound like it's restricted to the fringe non-revenue sports, but the guy taking the tests is the director of college testing at IMG Academy. Man accused of taking tests for others banned

digamma 03-24-2019 10:09 PM

Sad news from Georgia Tech, as defensive lineman Brandon Adams died at the age of 21 yesterday. He reportedly didn't feel good during an independent workout and fell unconscious and died on the way to the hospital. Speculation is a brain aneurism. All reports are that he was one of the good ones, always with a smile on his face and a friend to all.

miami_fan 05-22-2019 03:20 PM

St. Thomas wins too much, kicked out of MIAC

I would love to hear comments from the other schools in the conference.

Maybe they could put in some version of FFP.

bhlloy 05-22-2019 03:57 PM

So wait - 15 in 20 titles for Saint Johns wasn't a problem, but this is?

JonInMiddleGA 05-25-2019 11:39 PM

Rest in peace :(

UPDATED: Rod Bramblett, the “Voice of the Auburn Tigers,” has died from his injuries and his wife Paula was killed in a two-vehicle accident Saturday evening in Auburn.

edit to add: credit Auburn-Opelika News

bhlloy 05-28-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3229639)
5-star athlete Bru McCoy has entered the transfer portal after less than a month at USC.

The Trojans are a dumpster fire right now.

So in a bizarre follow up it sounds like for all intents and purposes that McCoy is heading back to USC, although it's not a done deal yet.

Put that on top of Chris Steele transferring to Oregon from Florida - although that one is possibly for more legit reasons - and all the players getting waivers and the huge number of waivers granted and players in the transfer portal still, it really feels like the NCAA is on the verge of losing control of college football in it's current form. In general I'm in favor of players having more control and being compensated in a sensible way, but feels like we are heading for some serious chaos.

Logan 05-28-2019 10:54 AM

Real shame about impending chaos.

NobodyHere 08-08-2019 11:21 AM

Clemson football self-reported an NCAA violation involving the improper use of confetti

I think we can all agree that the proper punishment for the improper use of confetti is a lifetime ban.

CU Tiger 08-08-2019 11:29 AM

LOl at the personalized decoration of hotel room doors.

I have a box of recruiting violations from my son.
Look there's GT, here's UGA, oh here is Duke, Louisville, Illinois, VMI, shoudl I carry on?

LOL

But to their credit Clemson didnt decorate our hotel room....but we didnt have a hotel room because we were local.

JPhillips 08-08-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3245740)
Clemson football self-reported an NCAA violation involving the improper use of confetti

I think we can all agree that the proper punishment for the improper use of confetti is a lifetime ban.

At least a ban for a D-2 school somewhere.

JPhillips 08-16-2019 10:47 AM

In Soviet Louisiana, workers pay bosses.

Quote:

UL football coach Billy Napier unveiled a new team rule in his normal mid-week August camp press conference Wednesday.

Starting with the beginning of this school year, all scholarship UL football players will be required to be a minimal level $50 member of the RCAF. The rule will be optional for walk-on members of the squad.

“It’s all about gratitude,” Napier said.

RCAF is the Ragin Cajun Athletic Fund.

albionmoonlight 08-16-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3246507)
In Soviet Louisiana, workers pay bosses.

RCAF is the Ragin Cajun Athletic Fund.

The $50 per student means very little to the fund.

But it does seem like a fact that other schools will use against them in recruiting.

CU Tiger 08-16-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3246508)
The $50 per student means very little to the fund.

But it does seem like a fact that other schools will use against them in recruiting.

Nah...napier is a recruiting MACHINE.
He will spin this and it will play well down South.
It all ties into Christian principles and a charitable spirit. At one point Saban required the same of Tide players, not sure if he still does. Remember D1 scholarship guys get COL stipends now. They never see this $50, Stipend is increased and membership paid.

It boosts the young alumnus donor number artificially and sells good on the rubber chicken circuit.

albionmoonlight 08-16-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU Tiger (Post 3246520)
Nah...napier is a recruiting MACHINE.
He will spin this and it will play well down South.
It all ties into Christian principles and a charitable spirit. At one point Saban required the same of Tide players, not sure if he still does. Remember D1 scholarship guys get COL stipends now. They never see this $50, Stipend is increased and membership paid.

It boosts the young alumnus donor number artificially and sells good on the rubber chicken circuit.

I see. That makes a lot of sense.

JonInMiddleGA 08-16-2019 04:19 PM

Already walked back the mandatory part.

Cajuns coach -- Pushed players to donate for unity

JPhillips 08-16-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3246593)
Already walked back the mandatory part.

Cajuns coach -- Pushed players to donate for unity

It's the mandatory part I objected to, so now it's much more like any college advancement scheme.