Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2018 College Football Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95283)

miami_fan 08-22-2018 05:10 PM

The PR of everyone being on the same page is never as important as the PR of leaking information that shows who made who cave.

JonInMiddleGA 08-22-2018 05:48 PM

University presidents seem to be pretty much interchangeable, and precious few seems to be worth a damn*. The amount of time I'd spend arguing with one that doesn't have the authority to get his way would require highly specialized equipment to measure.

*general observation, not specifically related to this case.

bob 08-22-2018 08:00 PM

Sounds like suspended 3 games according to espn

RainMaker 08-23-2018 12:12 AM

Surprised they suspended him for the TCU game. Figured it would be a 2 game suspension with that schedule.

cartman 08-23-2018 01:11 AM

THE three game suspension

mckerney 08-23-2018 01:49 AM

It's like they're not even fucking trying.

albionmoonlight 08-23-2018 06:01 AM

A TEN HOUR meeting to give him the slap on the wrist that everyone knew was coming?

miami_fan 08-23-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 3215458)

It's like they're not even fucking trying.

This statement definitely is something that belongs in this thread.

Is it Possible to Fudge a bank Statement? - Front Office Football Central

Kodos 08-23-2018 07:25 AM

What a load of shit.

#OhioStateBlackeyes

Drake 08-23-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3214876)

From article:
Quote:

...college football coaches will always scoff their nose at suggestions of...

What.The.Fuck.

Ksyrup 08-23-2018 08:58 AM

The guy who murdered Molly Tibbetts claims to not remember what happened between the time he approached her and he dumped her. His attorney should try to get his case heard by the OSU BoT.

ISiddiqui 08-23-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

He has also periodically taken medicine that can negatively impair his memory, concentration & focus

And he's your College Football Head Coach? I think you may need that concentration and focus stuff at times during the season.

Ksyrup 08-23-2018 10:05 AM

Don't worry, in addition to being used as a defense in this particular matter, that will also be used to lay the groundwork for his next "retirement."

HerRealName 08-23-2018 02:15 PM

A lot of people are mocking Meyer for this but he had a brain cyst removed a couple years ago and these are side effects from the cyst and meds he was required to be take.

Kodos 08-23-2018 02:20 PM

You don't just forget that someone on your staff is beating his wife. Surely his wife gave him regular updates, whether he "remembers" that or not.

HerRealName 08-23-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3215530)
You don't just forget that someone on your staff is beating his wife. Surely his wife gave him regular updates, whether he "remembers" that or not.

Is he a wife beater? He's definitely a moron but I'm trying to think of an alternative situation that doesn't involve assuming police conspiracy or that the wife is not as credible as you assume. I don't want to present a false dichotomy but is there another option?

I don't disagree that Meyer was negligent keeping the moron on staff and deserved whatever punishment that he received as a result.

JonInMiddleGA 08-23-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRealName (Post 3215541)
the wife is not as credible as you assume.

How dare you even suggest that whatever claim someone (who isn't a white male) happens to make might even POSSIBLY be less than 200% true & accurate. He's male, therefore he MUST be guilty.

You'll be next for the stakes & torches with that sort of thinking.

CU Tiger 08-23-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRealName (Post 3215541)
Is he a wife beater? He's definitely a moron but I'm trying to think of an alternative situation that doesn't involve assuming police conspiracy or that the wife is not as credible as you assume. I don't want to present a false dichotomy but is there another option?

I don't disagree that Meyer was negligent keeping the moron on staff and deserved whatever punishment that he received as a result.

I mean, sure. I'm all for the benefit of the doubt. But this is the same dude that, allegedly, covered up Hernandez murder investigations...but yeah. That's probably just coincidental .

Ksyrup 08-24-2018 07:09 AM

So as more info comes out about Maryland - the latest is that the old AD used AD money to hire lawyers for players to fight sexual misconduct charges - I believe that this will turn into a bigger, multi-sport investigation. I've been aware of numerous allegations against the softball program for a couple of years. Mostly anonymous, sure, but repeated and verified by a number of people with kids in the program, or having just left, or former players, etc.

The current coach is an absolute trainwreck who engages in bullying and mind games, resulting in multiple coaches and players leaving year after year. She has had a Florida retreat before the season where she brings her mom to body-shame kids and act like some sort of fitness guru, in the name of team bonding. Also, back in the summer of 2017, it came out that two players had TROs filed against them for bullying/stalking an athlete in another sport, and not only did those players remain on the team, but the coach made one of them a captain! Oh, and the team sucks, so it's not like she's sticking around because the team has performed well. The former and current ADs simply don't care and have dismissed multiple players'/parents' complaints and kept the course.

As a result of the ESPN report about the current FB situation, many people reached out to the reporters about softball, and people are confirming that they have been contacted to give their stories to ESPN. So, it may be a small part of the story, but it looks like ESPN is developing a report about department-wide issues that have long been ignored.

Fun times!

Kodos 08-24-2018 07:29 AM

The Big Ten is really embarrassing itself these days.

tarcone 08-25-2018 12:20 PM

Wyoming plays New Mexico St. tonight!!!!!!

It's finally here!!!!!!!!!!!

Eaglesfan27 08-27-2018 06:40 AM

Very excited for the start of the JT era at USC.

Ksyrup 08-27-2018 10:11 AM

What happened to good games on opening Thursday night?

JonInMiddleGA 08-27-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3215816)

I think the attempt to create Labor Day weekend extravaganzas kinda killed that off.

I mean, we now have a Sunday game AND a Monday game both with t25 pairings)

2016 had #10 ND vs unranked Texas on Sunday with a #4 vs #11 Monday. Back in 2015 the Sunday game was Purdue vs Marshall and Monday was #1 Ohio State vs an unranked Va Tech.

You have to go back to 2014 to find a ranked pair on Thursday (#9 South Carolina vs #21 Texas A&M) ... the Monday night game that year was unranked Miami vs unranked Louisville

Ksyrup 08-27-2018 10:23 AM

That's how little I've been paying attention I guess. I'm not a fan of the Monday night games, especially since FSU seems to like them. I gotta be up at 5am on Tuesday morning. I have no interest in staying up past midnight for a college game.

General Mike 08-27-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3215816)

I don’t think they were ever that good. But now instead of just having games on ESPN/2, now you’ve expanded to SEC Network, BTN, FS1

Using mattsarzsports.com as a reference here are the opening Thursday games by year.

2005 - Oregon vs Houston (E2), Vanderbilt at Wake Forest (EU), UCF at South Carolina (ESPN) and Minnesota at Tulsa (E2)
2006 - BC at Central Michigan, Northwestern at Miami (OH) and South Carolina at Mississippi State
2007 - Tulsa at UL-Monroe, LSU at Mississippi State and Utah at Oregon State
2008 - Vanderbilt at Miami (OH), NC State at South Carolina, Wake Forest at Baylor and Oregon State at Stanford
2009 - South Carolina at NC State, Oregon at Boise State
2010 - Southern Miss at South Carolina, Minnesota at MTSU, Pitt at Utah, USC at Hawaii
2011 - UNLV at Wisconsin, Mississippi State at Memphis, Kentucky vs Western Kentucky
2012 - South Carolina at Vanderbilt, UCLA at Rice, Washington State at BYU, Minnesota at UNLV
2013 - North Carolina at South Carolina, Utah State at Utah, Ole Miss at Vanderbilt, Rutgers at Fresno State
2014 - Texas A&M at South Carolina, Ole Miss vs Boise State, Temple at Vandy, Rutgers vs Washington State
2015 - North Carolina vs South Carolina, Oklahoma State at Central Michigan, Western Kentucy at Vanderbilt, Michigan at Utah, TCU at Minnesota, Duke at Tulane
2016 - Charlotte at Louisville, Tulane at Wake Forest, Indiana at FIU, App State at Tennessee, South Carolina at Vanderbilt, Oregon State at Minnesota
2017 - FIU at UCF, Buffalo at Minnesota, Tulsa at Oklahoma State, Ohio State at Indiana, New Mexico State at Arizona State
2018 - UCF at UConn, New Mexico State at Minnesota, Northwestern at Purdue, Wake Forest at Tulane.

Quite the list of games

Ksyrup 08-27-2018 12:01 PM

Even 2016 had a couple of decent games (USC/Vandy and OSU/Minn). I don't care about them being top 25 games, just reasonable conference or P5 matchups. I guess like the last few years, only the BIg 10 game is semi-decent.

Thomkal 09-01-2018 09:12 AM

Coastal Carolina starts its season at "Big Daddy" South Carolina in Columbia today. Rare meeting between father and son, and Coastal just hopes to do better than the 60 point loss they picked up in 2013. Should be better this time around (I hope!). They are not yet a full scholarship team, but the talent levels should be much more comparable (I hope!). Good luck to "your" school this season!

MrBug708 09-01-2018 10:55 AM

Hoping to see that Chip Kelly still has it when im at the Rose Bowl today

bob 09-01-2018 11:33 AM

It annoys me that I can’t watch the GT game over the air here in Atlanta.

digamma 09-01-2018 12:17 PM

Fox Sports South?

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3216336)
It annoys me that I can’t watch the GT game over the air here in Atlanta.

Oh noes. How else can you see missed PAT's and a change in kickers before halftime of the season opener?

tarcone 09-01-2018 12:48 PM

What is Teas doing? Maryland is not good.

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 3216340)
What is Teas doing? Maryland is not good.

Getting a coach a big buyout at this rate.

bob 09-01-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digamma (Post 3216337)
Fox Sports South?

I meant true over the air (no cable here).

Yeah, this is a pointless game, but I was still hoping to see it

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3216342)
I meant true over the air (no cable here).

Yeah, this is a pointless game, but I was still hoping to see it

There's not much over the air football left at this point. The old conference syndication packages (like the Raycom ACC one) were dying well before anyone thought of "conference networks" and the like.

ACC package in Atlanta (on ch 36? ch 69?) was down to getting lower ratings than coach show replays on FSS as often as not. Vandy vs anybody could equal/beat even low-profile ACC games featuring GT. The numbers weren't usually much better in the Tobacco Road markets either.

digamma 09-01-2018 01:38 PM

Tough to tell much, but the defense has looked strong and the offense like it is going through the motions.

tarcone 09-01-2018 02:27 PM

Go Hawks!

Looking forward to see who is running the offense.

Thomkal 09-01-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3216322)
Coastal Carolina starts its season at "Big Daddy" South Carolina in Columbia today. Rare meeting between father and son, and Coastal just hopes to do better than the 60 point loss they picked up in 2013. Should be better this time around (I hope!). They are not yet a full scholarship team, but the talent levels should be much more comparable (I hope!). Good luck to "your" school this season!

Well a little better for Coastal. They lose 49-15.

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2018 03:05 PM

Washington & Lee survives Dickinson 16-10 in OT.

Kids we know (from their high school days):
-- ILB was everywhere all day (6 tkls, 2 TFL, 1 FF, 1 Sack, 1 pass breakup)
-- Freshman WR had a key block on a long KR in his debut
-- QB, umm, well, uh ... split time on what might have been his toughest outing as a QB: 1/5 passing for 8 yards & 1 INT, 7 carries for 2 yards & 1 Fumble.

Next week it's a road trip (for the team & for my family) to Sewanee, TN to take on old rival University of the South

Lathum 09-01-2018 03:50 PM

This is so clearly a home game for Auburn but I feel like we are weathering the storm

MrBug708 09-01-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 3215797)
Very excited for the start of the JT era at USC.

JT Daniels will have a better career at USC than Josh Rosen did at UCLA, but hes not nearly the same level as talent, at least coming in as a a FR. And Daniels has much better supporting cast this year.

I'm grateful OSU didn't fire Meyer, I was afraid SC was going to hire him next season.

tarcone 09-01-2018 06:04 PM

App St driving for the win at PsU

MrBug708 09-01-2018 07:42 PM

Not too inspired by UCLA's scheme so far. I can see why Harbaugh cut Speight

MrBug708 09-01-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3216361)

I got a whole lot worse. Ucla is a big work in progress and we will likely score very little vs Oklahoma next week

JonInMiddleGA 09-01-2018 11:59 PM

Question for the more experience/knowledgable gamblers here:

UGA vs Austin Peay ended 45-0
BUT ... the 4th quarter only lasted 10 minutes. (by mutual agreement apparently)

Looking up the lines, a tracking site I found had Ceasars/Harrahs going at -44 but everyone else was anywhere from -46 to -48.

Does the shortening of the game make all those bets no play? Or did the teams possibly screw some unknown number of betters by not playing it out in full?

RainMaker 09-02-2018 12:45 AM

Most books count it as official if at least 55 minutes are played.

JonInMiddleGA 09-02-2018 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3216369)
Most books count it as official if at least 55 minutes are played.

Thanks. This level of detail is just beyond my experience, so I knew just enough to catch it as a "might be" problematic.

I wonder if that played a role in picking five minutes as the amount of time they shortened the game by?

Either way, where I kinda went mentally with this was "how much more cognizent of such things will teams have to become with the expansion of sports betting?"

Eaglesfan27 09-02-2018 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3216361)

Looked like SF Kelly not Oregon Kelly.

tarcone 09-02-2018 07:58 AM

Iowa looks the same.

Interesting that our coach hasnt evolved one bit in 20 years.