Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Low Fantasy" book recommendations? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=82965)

Groundhog 12-13-2011 11:00 PM

"Low Fantasy" book recommendations?

I’m looking for something to read and the term “low fantasy” is new to me, but from what I gather it seems to mean fantasy novels that are a bit more “realistic” and contain less magic, which is a big turn-off for me and the main reason why I never got in to the genre before reading AsoIaF.

I’ve done a bit of googling and read a sample chapter of The Black Company by Glen Cook and it seems like a gritty sort of novel, but I’ve already encountered wizards and manleopards and the like and I can feel my interest slipping and don’t think I will go through with the purchase.

I’ve also downloaded a sample of Gemmell’s Legend that I haven’t started yet, but I’m interested in anyone’s recommendations? Flowery prose is not a must, and I like darker/melancholy type tales.

Vince, Pt. II 12-14-2011 02:40 AM

If you haven't read it already, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is probably the best "low" fantasy out there. There is definitely an undercurrent of magic, but it is clearly not the focus (at least thus far, the series is still being written). It's much more about medieval politics and intrigue, and fantastically well done.

RendeR 12-14-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2582317)
...and the main reason why I never got in to the genre before reading AsoIaF.

He's already covered that one ;)

bronconick 12-14-2011 07:13 AM

Heh. At this point I don't recommend ASOIAF to anyone I like, as they'll likely throw the hardcover versions at me when I tell them there's another 3-5 books to be written and he takes 5 years a book.

I've heard good things about Joe Abercrombie, mainly the "First Law" trilogy, but it's still on my "to do" list, so it's not a first hand endorsement. I liked the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny, though I'm not sure if it's "low" enough for your tastes.

whomario 12-14-2011 07:49 AM

How about Patrick Rothfuss ? First book is Name of the Wind , 2nd is called The Wise Manīs Fear. (I think it isnīt yet sure if itīs going to be a trilogy or longer, right now iīd guess 4 or 5 books)
Magic definitely plays some part in it, but at itīs heart itīs a "life story" and a great one at that so far.

Also maybe Peter Brett with No1 The Painted Man and the follow up The Desert Spear
Here the premise (demon-type beings apearing at night that can only be kept at bay by painting symbols on the ground or houses for protection), is kind of "magical" but then again itīs basically just a trade that can be learned.

I myself have just ordered The Lions of Al-Rassan by a Guy Gavriel Kay, has been heavily recommended to me as a historical/fantasy type novel.

cschex 12-14-2011 08:27 AM

Abercrombie's books are the epitome of gritty "low-fantasy." They also have a fantastically cynical sense of humor. I can't recommend them enough.

Another series that has the grimness without the humor is Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God series, which is collected in two paperback editions around 800 pages each.

Lions of Al-Rassan is really good.

ISiddiqui 12-14-2011 08:44 AM

Name of the Wind is definitely a great suggestion. Would qualify as "low fantasy" I'd imagine.

Marc Vaughan 12-14-2011 08:49 AM

Black Company was pretty good - I also liked 'Orcs', not sure its fully 'low fantasy' ... but its written more as a buddy war novel (think Full Metal Jacket but with Orcs) .... very cool.

I'd also suggest the 'Assasins Apprentice Trilogy' - fantastic series of books, very low fantasy and brilliant setting, characterisations ... definitely recommended:

Assasins Apprentice @ Amazon

Autumn 12-14-2011 09:25 AM

I recommend Sailing to Sarantium from Guy Gavriel Kay. It's almost just a historical fiction, but in an altered world and with a bit of fantasy to it. It's first in a two book series, and great, I think.

Warhammer 12-14-2011 09:43 AM

Weren't the books Conan was derived from low fantasy? Can't remember the author's name though.

Thomkal 12-14-2011 10:15 AM

I've been a fan of Kay since his original trilogy, the Fionavar Tapestry-which is a nod to King Arthur era like events and characters when five Canadian University students end up in Fionavar "the first of all worlds"-those are definitely high fantasy books. But most (all?) of his subsequent books could rightly be called historical fantasy. They are set in an alternate version of Earth but use actual historic events from our earth to tell his story.

Under Heaven which I just finished for example-is set an alternate dynastic China-revolving around the events leading to an war that actually took place on "our" Earth. Any magic in the novel is of the supernatural part and appropriate to the era and cultures being used. (ancestors, ghosts, and one character "reborn").

The ending disappointed me, and I prefer High Fantasy over Low, but if you like history like me, the rest of his books outside the original trilogy are certainly worth checking out.

Vince, Pt. II 12-14-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RendeR (Post 2582339)
He's already covered that one ;)

Reading comprehension is apparently not one of my strong suits.

Groundhog 12-14-2011 04:20 PM

Thanks guys.

Name of the Wind and Chronicles of Amber are two books that I keep seeing mentioned on various forums/lists online, but appreciate the other suggestions too. The Lions of Al-Rassan is a new one for me, sounds interesting.

Groundhog 12-14-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 2582406)
Weren't the books Conan was derived from low fantasy? Can't remember the author's name though.

Robert E. Howard.

I read some Conan when I was really young and I don't remember much, though I'd say they are probably the archetype of "low fantasy". The hero in Gemmell's Legend is so far a sort of anti-Conan.

Crapshoot 12-14-2011 04:26 PM

Patrick Rothfuss is absolutely brilliant, but magic is a strong part of what he's doing - that being said, he's a better "writer" per se than Martin, IMO (not quite the characters, but the writing).

Glengoyne 12-14-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 2582573)
Patrick Rothfuss is absolutely brilliant, but magic is a strong part of what he's doing - that being said, he's a better "writer" per se than Martin, IMO (not quite the characters, but the writing).

I'm gonna have to guess you only read the first book.

edited to note that opinions may differ widely on the Wise Man's Fear.

Glengoyne 12-14-2011 05:21 PM

I'll also second the Joe Abercrombie books.

For Gritty, I don't think you can do any grittier than "Best Served Cold". While you are introduced to a few of the characters in his first trilogy, I think it could stand alone very well.

If you want the full effect, then jump right in with the First Law trilogy with "The Blade Itself".

chesapeake 12-15-2011 08:49 AM

The Amber series is more of a blurring of the lines between SF and fantasy, but leaning towards the former. It has been more than 20 years since I read them, but I thought they were great.

If you are interested in going that route, Robert Silverberg's Majipoor books blur the same set of lines and are very good, although they lean even more towards the SF side.

3ric 12-16-2011 04:07 AM

I'd recommend Abercrombie as well, along with "Lies of Locke Lamora" by Stephen Lynch.

terpkristin 12-16-2011 04:56 AM

Do you want fantastical worlds as are in the Rothfuss and Martin books (I like both series quite a lot)?

The Jim Butcher Dresden Files books are kind of like a cross between mystery/thriller and urban fantasy. I like 'em.

/tk

terpkristin 12-16-2011 04:58 AM

There is also the Mistborn series by Sanderson, that one isn't all about the magic. There is magic involved, of course, but other aspects too. And the First Law books by Abercrombie might fit the bill, as well.

/tk

SnowMan 12-16-2011 07:30 AM

I second the Rothfuss books and also the Dresden series. Another one I enjoyed was the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Chief Rum 12-16-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ric (Post 2583204)
I'd recommend Abercrombie as well, along with "Lies of Locke Lamora" by Stephen Lynch.

Scott Lynch, actually, not that that matters too much. ;)

Lynch's two novels in his budding series are terrific, but right now, he has a novel completion rate similar to Martin's.

His third in the series is due out in Spring 2012, and that's after being pushed back a couple times.

Really good read, though.