Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   RIP Hank Aaron (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=97196)

Ghost Econ 01-22-2021 09:43 AM

RIP Hank Aaron

Damn, tough week for us Braves fans.

Thomkal 01-22-2021 09:48 AM

how sad. :( RIP

albionmoonlight 01-22-2021 10:00 AM

Just saw that he was an All-Star for 21 of his 23 seasons.

I know that All-Star can be a bit of an honorific, especially for older players.

But, damn. The dude was an all-star for more seasons than almost anyone else plays.

RIP to one of the all time all time greats.

MizzouRah 01-22-2021 10:08 AM

RIP to the homerun KING :)

BYU 14 01-22-2021 10:18 AM

Man, this is brutal, the greatest living legend, gone :(

Nothing more iconic than Hank running the bases after 715 with those two kids accompanying him. I think everybody who has ever followed sports has that vision burned into their mind.

albionmoonlight 01-22-2021 11:48 AM

Saw another amazing Hank stat: He has over 3,000 hits that weren't home runs.

If you take away every home run from the home run king, he still had an amazing career.

Silver Owl 01-22-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3324990)

Nothing more iconic than Hank running the bases after 715 with those two kids accompanying him. I think everybody who has ever followed sports has that vision burned into their mind.

I remember watching #715 live on TV when I was a kid. Great sports moment for sure.

britrock88 01-22-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 3324981)
Just saw that he was an All-Star for 21 of his 23 seasons.

I know that All-Star can be a bit of an honorific, especially for older players.

But, damn. The dude was an all-star for more seasons than almost anyone else plays.

538 with a great article attesting to Hammerin' Hank's consistency at a high level:

Nobody — And We Mean Nobody — Was Consistently Great Like Hank Aaron | FiveThirtyEight

MrBug708 01-22-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3324990)

Showed a lot of fear black athletes had as you can tell the death threats really had him spooked, especially when two white guys made it that far to congratulate him. He was probably my first baseball hero that didn't play for a team I rooted for. All because I read an awesome bio about him as a kid

CrimsonFox 01-22-2021 03:35 PM

and futurama voice actor!

BYU 14 01-22-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3325065)
Showed a lot of fear black athletes had as you can tell the death threats really had him spooked, especially when two white guys made it that far to congratulate him. He was probably my first baseball hero that didn't play for a team I rooted for. All because I read an awesome bio about him as a kid

Yeah, you could tell by the look on his face they scared him at first and understandably so with all he had to endure.

miami_fan 01-24-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3325065)

Pretty much the same for me. I knew of Henry Aaron from watching the Braves broadcasts as a kid. It was not I read his biography which led to me searching out interviews were he talked about his experiences that I really appreciate how great a man he was. A pretty good ball player as well.

RIP