Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yet another school shooting. (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=90787)

miami_fan 02-20-2021 07:50 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/20/us/lo...ead/index.html

I just have so many questions. This has to be some sort of suicide by having someone else killing you. I can't imagine someone deciding that they were going to attempt to rob the local gun shop and still make it out alive.

kingfc22 03-22-2021 07:05 PM

After taking much of 2020 off, glad to see America pick right back up where it left off. Atlanta, now Boulder.

With schools opening back up, it can’t be that much longer until we have our first school shooting of 2021.

kingfc22 03-22-2021 07:14 PM

Also no surprise to see the white guy who committed this act getting to stroll out in handcuffs still alive.

RainMaker 03-22-2021 07:43 PM

Sure he was just having a bad day.

Qwikshot 03-22-2021 07:47 PM

It's kind of amazing in that clip that a guy is talking about the shooting as it is ongoing with dead in the street and in the store. He's just talking to the one worker nonchalantly as they mill about in the entrance with a dead person about 20 feet away and peering in and then you hear gunfire.

Just another day in America.

Jas_lov 03-22-2021 08:08 PM

At least 6 dead including one police officer.

CrimsonFox 03-22-2021 08:13 PM

No one could have forseen this, says the only nation where this regularly happens...

CrimsonFox 03-22-2021 08:29 PM

Gonna guess everyone in the building was a trump voter...

CrimsonFox 03-22-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 3330919)
Also no surprise to see the white guy who committed this act getting to stroll out in handcuffs still alive.

huh? I thought the employees killed him?

BYU 14 03-22-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3330933)

That was the gun store, I think he is talking about the supermarket. Pretty bad when we can't keep our mass shootings straight, Murica!!

pantera 03-22-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3330930)
No one could have forseen this, says the only nation where this regularly happens...

"He was our neighbor and always said hello. Seemed like a nice guy. He mostly kept to himself and his 8 automatic weapons."

Senator Generic Oldwhiteguy stated "My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims' families. But surely they understand that I can't take a chance on trying to solve this problem with common sense legislation that might anger the many morally destitute that contribute to my campaign & vote for me."

CrimsonFox 03-22-2021 11:00 PM

CrimsonFox 03-22-2021 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3330933)

I now realize that I am mixing up my mass shootings. This is how I know I am in america.

CrimsonFox 03-22-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3330934)
That was the gun store, I think he is talking about the supermarket. Pretty bad when we can't keep our mass shootings straight, Murica!!

ARGH! JINX! Buy me a coke!

pantera 03-23-2021 05:44 AM

Charlotte Clymer
@cmclymer
  • On March 15th, 2019, a white supremacist killed 51 people in Christchurch, New Zealand.
  • On 3/21/19, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern proposed a ban on semi-automatic weapons.
  • On 4/10/19, that law passed.

Since that day, there have been 1,145 mass shootings in the United States.

bob 03-23-2021 06:42 AM

I haven't really paid attention to proposed new gun laws when these events have happened in the past as 1) I'm not a gun person so they don't impact me and 2) they never seem likely to pass. That being said, can someone give a quick run down of what changes are likely to make the most impact?

Ksyrup 03-23-2021 06:58 AM

I kinda joked with someone about 6 months ago that we'll know the country is starting to emerge from Covid when the shootings pick up. And sure enough...

NobodyHere 03-23-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 3330956)
I haven't really paid attention to proposed new gun laws when these events have happened in the past as 1) I'm not a gun person so they don't impact me and 2) they never seem likely to pass. That being said, can someone give a quick run down of what changes are likely to make the most impact?

I think the effectiveness of proposed solutions is part of the debate.

I'm not personally aware of any studies that shows the impact of any given solution. Is that CDC ban still in place? Even if it is you'd think Bloomberg could fund a study or two.

JPhillips 03-23-2021 10:31 AM

We can't do anything about assault rifles because someday I may want to overthrow the government.

RainMaker 03-23-2021 10:54 AM

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

panerd 03-23-2021 10:58 AM

Sounds like Islamic terror. Watch Fox News suddenly become interested and CNN and FOFC cry about losing their white supremacy angle..

Ksyrup 03-23-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3330976)
I think the effectiveness of proposed solutions is part of the debate.

I'm not personally aware of any studies that shows the impact of any given solution. Is that CDC ban still in place? Even if it is you'd think Bloomberg could fund a study or two.

My personal opinion is that we shouldn't be primarily focusing on short-term solutions with the end game being that whatever restrictions are put in place will stop mass shootings - because they won't. Rather, while we definitely need some reasonable restrictions in place immediately, we should largely be focusing on longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time. Maybe we're too far gone for it to work, and I don't know exactly what it would look like, but I'm thinking of the gun control equivalent to what we did to make smoking less appealing. I don't think there's an overnight fix regardless of how many people might be in favor of major restrictions.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3330980)
Sounds like Islamic terror. Watch Fox News suddenly become interested and CNN and FOFC cry about losing their white supremacy angle..

His (extremely Muslim sounding) name and (extremely Middle Eastern looking) face dominate the front page of Fox News's web site right now. No mention that the victims were identified.

As far as I can tell, to find out his name on MSNBC's web site, you'd have to watch the video they have up of the press conference. No article that I can easily find mentions it.

This is neither Fox's nor MSNBC's fault. It's the fault of every weak-minded person in America, conservative or liberal, who only wants to be fed their preferred narrative. The networks are giving the people what they want.

BYU 14 03-23-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3330983)
. It's the fault of every weak-minded person in America, conservative or liberal, who only wants to be fed their preferred narrative. The networks are giving the people what they want.

Could not have said it better. Way too many Americans are incapable of formulating their own thoughts and/or expanding their views beyond their narrow political views. It is truly sad that so many are so weak in that regards.

ISiddiqui 03-23-2021 11:48 AM

That's a bit of a silly charge against MSNBC. Just about EVERYTHING on their site is video. If you go to NBCNews.com the main article has the shooters name on it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Ben E Lou 03-23-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3330985)
That's a bit of a silly charge against MSNBC. Just about EVERYTHING on their site is video. If you go to NBCNews.com the main article has the shooters name on it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Heh. I had no idea they had two sites. *shurg* (And yes, I was irritated at the lack of readable content there.)

Also, it's notable that they've chosen their photos of him carefully. The NBC picture of the murderer is far more benign-looking than the Fox one. There is *zero* chance that's not by design in both cases.

Ben E Lou 03-23-2021 11:55 AM

https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...2.fit-360w.jpg

https://a57.foxnews.com/hp.foxnews.c....jpg?tl=1&ve=1

kingfc22 03-23-2021 11:56 AM

Great. Let's take this opportunity to enact gun laws to keep them out of the hands of terrorists.

BYU 14 03-23-2021 12:23 PM

So Hannity and Bongino managed to somehow pivot this into a rant against BLM and the "defund" the police crowd on his show last night.

And again, I hate that phrasing, defund P:olice is the last thing we need right now. They need reform, training and resources and that does not come with taking funds from them.

pantera 03-23-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3330982)
My personal opinion is that we shouldn't be primarily focusing on short-term solutions with the end game being that whatever restrictions are put in place will stop mass shootings - because they won't. Rather, while we definitely need some reasonable restrictions in place immediately, we should largely be focusing on longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time. Maybe we're too far gone for it to work, and I don't know exactly what it would look like, but I'm thinking of the gun control equivalent to what we did to make smoking less appealing. I don't think there's an overnight fix regardless of how many people might be in favor of major restrictions.

Very well said.

Unfortunately "some reasonable restrictions in place immediately" are a no-go, translated by hardliners to mean that goon squads will soon be entering every home in America confiscating every single firearm.

Thus, "longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time" will be that much harder to implement, when we can't even take the first step.

I'm not a gun owner, but I have no problem with people having a pistol in their home for self-protection, or hunting rifles and shotguns. But can we please have longer waiting periods, more restrictive licensing rules, a ban on open carry, and a ban on weapons that can discharge dozens of rounds in mere seconds? Is that too much to ask? How many more thousands have to die?

cuervo72 03-23-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben E Lou (Post 3330986)
Heh. I had no idea they had two sites. *shurg* (And yes, I was irritated at the lack of readable content there.)

Also, it's notable that they've chosen their photos of him carefully. The NBC picture of the murderer is far more benign-looking than the Fox one. There is *zero* chance that's not by design in both cases.

I mean...you did know that NBC had a news division before MSNBC was a thing, right? ;)

sterlingice 03-23-2021 07:40 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/23/polit...ado/index.html

Don't worry, the Supreme Court appears poised to strike down what little regulation exists so even if Congress gets it done, it may not matter.

SI

GrantDawg 03-24-2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 3331023)
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/23/polit...ado/index.html

Don't worry, the Supreme Court appears poised to strike down what little regulation exists so even if Congress gets it done, it may not matter.

SI

But all this is always a windfall for the gun and ammo manufacturers. Sales are going to continue to sky rocket on the threat that something may happen. I wonder how many stimulus payments are going straight to buying AR-15's? My guess it is pretty high.

QuikSand 04-16-2021 08:33 AM

So, another "event" in Indiana today. 8 dead, maybe more. I wonder if this will attract any of our national attention. Probably needs a serious angle... a shooter with a hyphen in his name, or something like that, to be newsworthy. I mean, dead Americans at our own hand, that's hardly even news.

Looking for the right place to post this, I did a forum search on thread with "shooting" in the title. That was pretty depressing...

JPhillips 04-16-2021 09:17 AM

You've got about 24-36 hours of outrage for any particular killing in the US before it's time to move on to the next 24-36 hour outrage about a killing in the US.

cuervo72 04-16-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 3333740)
So, another "event" in Indiana today. 8 dead, maybe more. I wonder if this will attract any of our national attention. Probably needs a serious angle... a shooter with a hyphen in his name, or something like that, to be newsworthy. I mean, dead Americans at our own hand, that's hardly even news.

Well, if it slows down too many packages, maybe.

(but probably not)

pantera 04-16-2021 09:28 AM

This killing wouldn't have happened if everyone at FedEx had an AR-15. Or a bazooka. Or a tank.

Think of how much safer our world would be if we could all buy tanks.

miami_fan 04-16-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Looking for the right place to post this, I did a forum search on thread with "shooting" in the title. That was pretty depressing...

I have come to the conclusion that as a country, as individual states and at the local level, we have decided that these mass shootings are not a problem. I could be swayed by arguments that some believe that the shootings are a problem but that any attempts to solve the problem are going to be more damaging to our lives that the shootings themselves.

pantera 04-16-2021 10:02 AM

The only way we are ever getting meaningful gun control in this country is if Republicans in government get assassinated one after another in a relatively short span of time. Or their spouses/children get shot. After about the 5th one, you'd finally see senators and congresspeople getting serious about gun control. (not advocating for this to happen, obviously)

Until it hits them personally, they'll keep turning a blind eye to all the death as long as gun lobbyists fill their pockets with cash. It's disgusting.

Money > lives of unrelated humans

Ghost Econ 04-16-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

We had at least 4000 die daily for weeks and half the country wouldnt even believe a virus was real... and that virus isn't mildly protected by a 250 year old poorly worded run-on sentence.

BYU 14 04-16-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantera (Post 3333758)
The only way we are ever getting meaningful gun control in this country is if Republicans in government get assassinated one after another in a relatively short span of time. Or their spouses/children get shot. After about the 5th one, you'd finally see senators and congresspeople getting serious about gun control. (not advocating for this to happen, obviously)

Until it hits them personally, they'll keep turning a blind eye to all the death as long as gun lobbyists fill their pockets with cash. It's disgusting.

Money > lives of unrelated humans

Even when it did happen to one of them at that congressional softball game they barely blinked. It is baffling how so many see common sense as an infringement of liberty.

NobodyHere 04-16-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3333760)
Even when it did happen to one of them at that congressional softball game they barely blinked. It is baffling how so many see common sense as an infringement of liberty.

Not everyone wants to see new laws made every time someone breaks a law.

cuervo72 04-16-2021 10:31 AM

If existing laws are failing to be either preventative or punitive, kinda failing, no?

pantera 04-16-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3333760)

That exact situation is why I said at least 5 of them. When it happened to just one of them, they could rationalize "oh it will never happen to me".

As awful as it sounds, if they instead started to think that there is a 5-10% chance that they or their family might get targeted, you'd magically starting seeing some gun laws change.

JPhillips 04-16-2021 12:06 PM

When we responded to a massacre of 1st grade children with more permissive gun laws it was pretty clear that nothing would ever be enough to change the obsession with guns.

CrimsonFox 04-16-2021 12:47 PM

Another One...

Indianapolis Fedex :(

pantera 04-16-2021 01:22 PM

CNN today:

"There is no debate that we have an epidemic of mass violence committed with guns in this country. There is scads of data that make that point. Here's one: Of all homicides in America in 2019, 73% of them were gun-related, according to data from the FBI. That compares to an estimated 39% in Canada, 22% in Australia and just 4% in England and Wales. Here's another: The US averages 120.5 firearms per 100 residents, more than double the next country (Yemen, at 52.8 firearms per 100 people). And there were nearly 23 million firearms purchased in the US in 2020, a new record high."

BYU 14 04-16-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3333762)
Not everyone wants to see new laws made every time someone breaks a law.

just curious what a reasonable threshold is for making a new law in relation to the number of times the same thing happens?

sterlingice 04-16-2021 02:33 PM

Texas House gives initial approval to "constitutional carry" | The Texas Tribune

Don't worry, in Texas we're making it so that you don't need to actually get a license to carry a gun. You can't vote or anything crazy like that. But you can get a gun without any checks or training or even a license.

SI

Drake 04-16-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3333749)
Well, if it slows down too many packages, maybe.

(but probably not)

I just had this conversation with my brother-in-law, realizing that even as they're trying to get this sorted out in the immediate aftermath, there's some poor employee at FedEx whose first responsibility in the middle of the tragedy is figuring out how to route the packages now that the Indy hub is out of commission for a few hours, because some guy in Omaha is depending on an overnight shipment of insulin.