Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Star Wars: Solo (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=93609)

molson 02-05-2018 09:35 AM

Star Wars: Solo

A lot of people saw the commercial during the Super Bowl, but a full teaser/trailer all came out this morning.

Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Teaser - YouTube

Pretty stunning visuals, and a Rouge One feel.

stevew 02-05-2018 10:37 AM

Really skeptical of this movie given the history of the production.

dawgfan 02-05-2018 03:14 PM

Even beyond the production hiccups, it's going to be awfully tough for any actor to live up to Harrison Ford's Han Solo.

tarcone 02-05-2018 04:14 PM

Im in. I love anything Star Wars. And I have not been disappointed often. Though episode 1 lacked.

molson 02-05-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3194145)
Really skeptical of this movie given the history of the production.

I chose to believe that that it's a good sign that Disney has the ability to make big changes on the fly and that they're not afraid to do so. We didn't know the whole story at the time Rogue One was released, but after they saw the first cut, Disney fired a bunch of people, hired new writers, and added or re-shot 20-30 scenes. Most of the footage from the trailers didn't even make it to the final film. Disney also made them go back and kill all the of the main characters, when several survived in the first cut.

I'm guessing that people who haven't like Disney's take on Star Wars so far won't like this one either, but those who have been on board with the whole thing will have plenty to like.

larrymcg421 02-05-2018 04:45 PM

Agreed. I more question the initial decision to have the 21 Jump Street people involved at all than the wisdom to see that it wasn't working and bring in a veteran to fix everything.

Edward64 02-05-2018 07:34 PM

Still PO'd that they killed him off.

They should have left some room for doubt.

But yes, the trailer looked fantastic.

Brian Swartz 02-05-2018 07:38 PM

I didn't like the main movies(esp. the last one) but thought Rogue One was great. My brother shares the same opinion. Both of us are cautiously positive on this so far.

larrymcg421 02-05-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3194224)

Ford only agreed to come back if they killed Solo off.

NobodyHere 02-05-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3194224)

That's the problem with prequels. You know Han Solo is going to survive through the movie so it lessens the tension of the action scenes.

That said, this is a Star Wars movie so I'll definitely be seeing it, whether in theaters or blu-ray

Draft Dodger 02-05-2018 07:52 PM

Han looks stoned in like every scene of that trailer

Edward64 02-06-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3194227)
Ford only agreed to come back if they killed Solo off.

Okay, its not that Solo died, its how he died ... it was not a glorious death.

Millennium Falcon with nukes crashing into the Death Star #5 (?) would have been good.

NobodyHere 02-06-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3194262)
Okay, its not that Solo died, its how he died ... it was not a glorious death.

Millennium Falcon with nukes crashing into the Death Star #5 (?) would have been good.

On a side note, who else thinks that the Falcon will get destroyed in episode 9?

Kodos 02-06-2018 12:05 PM

I sure hope not.

Edward64 02-06-2018 12:22 PM

Eh, design is somewhat dated. Ready for a refresh

Marc Vaughan 02-06-2018 01:43 PM

I love the look of that trailer - sorry to kick the trend but I'm excited to see this :D

NobodyHere 02-06-2018 07:16 PM

Because the franchise hasn't been milked enough yet

Game Of Thrones Show Creators To Write And Produce New Series Of Star Wars Films

Chief Rum 02-06-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyHere (Post 3194357)

I realize the new HBO series they were going to work on is controversial, but it's still on, isn't it? Plus GOT production isnlikely to be going on for much of this year.

When are these guys supposed to be available to do this?

molson 02-06-2018 10:05 PM

Game of Thrones is filming its final season right now.

And Disney has an unannounced stand-alone film tentatively scheduled for a 2020 release. And Johnson is still attached to a separate trilogy to start sometime after that. I'm guessing Benioff and Weiss will be writing some stand-alone films, but, with Disney, it's all tentative, and if it happens, we're talking well into the next decade.

Chief Rum 02-06-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3194405)
Game of Thrones is filming its final season right now.

Yea I know that. Every episode is supposedly on the scale of a movie in and of itself. Post production is likely to take up a good portion of the remainder of the year.

stevew 05-24-2018 10:42 PM

I liked it enough to sign up for a subsequent Solo or Lando movie if they decide to make one.

Tasan 05-24-2018 11:18 PM

It was good. I wasn't blown away or anything but good.

CrimsonFox 05-24-2018 11:58 PM

Loved it loved it loved it! Woody Harrelson makes any film better!

And DOnald Glover is the fucking best!

dawgfan 05-25-2018 11:54 AM

Spoiler

stevew 05-25-2018 12:02 PM

Yes Dawg,

Spoiler

stevew 05-25-2018 12:03 PM

Boba Fett movie with James Mangold is confirmed.

dawgfan 05-25-2018 12:12 PM

Spoiler

CrimsonFox 05-25-2018 12:24 PM

omg hahahahahaha i forgot the timeline :)

CrimsonFox 05-25-2018 12:25 PM

duct tape dude

Sith duct tape is the best!@

stevew 05-25-2018 01:20 PM

So wookiees eat humans?

stevew 05-25-2018 03:22 PM

Given that they announced a Boba Fett spin-off movie

Spoiler

NobodyHere 05-25-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonFox (Post 3204715)
Loved it loved it loved it! Woody Harrelson makes any film better!

And DOnald Glover is the fucking best!

DOnald Glover is dead to me

Donald Glover Says Kylo Ren Is Better Than Darth Vader

CrimsonFox 05-25-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3204761)
So wookiees eat humans?

depends on the sauce...

Chief Rum 05-26-2018 01:46 AM

Just saw it. Loved it. Nice to see a Star Wars movie that doesn't take itself so seriously.

CrimsonFox 05-26-2018 09:51 AM

my only ting about the lando/han relationship...

yeah i get that all the lines about lando from empire strikes back are displayed here to see in this movie...

but in empire it sounded like they were friends for a long time.

and this movie was trying to make it like this is it...that's the only time they met was this one encounter...

and i don't buy that

CrimsonFox 05-26-2018 11:39 AM

NobodyHere 05-27-2018 12:53 PM

Looks like the box office returns for Solo are so low for a Star Wars movie.

‘Solo’ Slows at Box Office, to Open at $101 Million for 4-Day Holiday Weekend

molson 05-27-2018 12:58 PM

I don't think people should expect every Star Wars spinoff movie to do a billion worldwide. Star Wars is not as cool as Marvel in 2018 and that's OK. Solo had all the reshoots, which the pushed the budget up, and it will be the least profitable Star Wars movie of all time, but, it was a good movie and that's probably more important in the long run. I hope the future spinoff movies have lower budgets and more realistic box office expectations.

CrimsonFox 05-27-2018 06:12 PM

Yeah I enjoyed it more than last jedi and force awakens. I l in the Ed those but this one excited me more.

kcchief19 05-27-2018 08:28 PM

I thought Solo was solid. The people I saw it with all thought it was better than TFA and TLJ, and from a story telling aspect I can't dispute that. Sure, Alden Ehrenreich was almost as brutal as advertised -- he seemed like he was trying to do a Han Solo impersonation and it didn't come across well. Everybody else was pretty terrific. Really like Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson. And Donald Glover was close to perfect -- he left me wanting more.

I'm always going to have disputes with Disney because of their jettison of the old Expanded Universe, but this movie did a decent job or paying homage to the past while telling a compelling heist story. Maybe Episode IX can salvage the main trilogy series, but if the future standalone films and TV series are as solid as Rogue One and Solo, count me in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3204753)
Spoiler

Spoiler

Warhammer 05-27-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchief19 (Post 3204909)
I thought Solo was solid. The people I saw it with all thought it was better than TFA and TLJ, and from a story telling aspect I can't dispute that. Sure, Alden Ehrenreich was almost as brutal as advertised -- he seemed like he was trying to do a Han Solo impersonation and it didn't come across well. Everybody else was pretty terrific. Really like Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson. And Donald Glover was close to perfect -- he left me wanting more.

I'm always going to have disputes with Disney because of their jettison of the old Expanded Universe, but this movie did a decent job or paying homage to the past while telling a compelling heist story. Maybe Episode IX can salvage the main trilogy series, but if the future standalone films and TV series are as solid as Rogue One and Solo, count me in.

Spoiler

Just got back from watching this.

I have to agree with all of what you said. I actually didn't mind Ehrenreich either. I kind of liked his portrayal, it wasn't great acting, but it worked.

I loved Lando's character. Glover did an amazing job with him.

Out of the extended universe movies, this was the one I was most apprehensive about, and they did a good job with it. I am actually looking to more of these rather than the main storyline movies now.

stevew 05-28-2018 04:59 AM

Absolutely love that they worked in the skiff guard outfit from ROTJ

Vince, Pt. II 05-28-2018 11:55 AM

A friend and I were debating about one of the lines, which seems way too good to be original to this film:

"What shall we drink to?"
"Well let's drink two and see what happens."

Vince, Pt. II 05-29-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Spoiler

Other than your take on Alden Ehrenreich, I'm all-in on this review. I agree that he was the weakest actor, but I actually liked his portrayal, and thought it was fairly believable for a young, untested kid trying to prove himself. My biggest surprise was Emilia Clarke; I can't stand her on Game of Thrones, but she was wonderful here.

Arles 05-29-2018 10:04 AM

I took my son (12 and loves comics/star wars) and we both really enjoyed it. It has some nice nostalgia moments, moves pretty quick and didn't take itself too seriously. I'm excited for the next origin story if they keep the same style.

dawgfan 05-29-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Spoiler

Spoiler

dawgfan 05-29-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 3205002)
Other than your take on Alden Ehrenreich, I'm all-in on this review. I agree that he was the weakest actor, but I actually liked his portrayal, and thought it was fairly believable for a young, untested kid trying to prove himself.

Ehrenreich was fine. He wasn't terrible, but he didn't have enough charisma to really measure up to Ford either. He was also in an almost impossible situation - try to seem as though his character and Harrison Ford's are the same (and almost certainly fall short), or not consciously try to replicate any of Ford's mannerisms or acting choices and risk the characters seeming too different.

The biggest problem with this movie is that it was product - no more, no less. It was reasonably well-executed product, but this wasn't anyone's passion project. This was Disney and Kathleen Kennedy executing a business plan.

The only way that a Solo movie would have excelled would have been a combination of A) a gifted filmmaker having a well-thought out plan for an origin story, and B) the perfect actor to come along that could hold up to the Harrison Ford comparisons. Ford was such a perfect fit for that role that you can't just do a talent search in a particular year and find the right person - that person may not exist in the generation in which you're looking. You may have to wait years or decades even.

Honolulu_Blue 05-31-2018 12:49 PM

I saw it over the weekend. I enjoyed it well enough. It was a fun movie. I really loved the supporting cast for the most part.

Kodos 05-31-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3205038)

Ford was such a perfect fit for that role that you can't just do a talent search in a particular year and find the right person - that person may not exist in the generation in which you're looking. You may have to wait years or decades even.

One man. Four words.

Spoiler

dawgfan 06-01-2018 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3205244)
One man. Four words.

Spoiler