Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2018 College Football Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=95283)

CU Tiger 08-01-2018 03:12 PM

2018 College Football Thread

I guess its time for a new one.

Lets start with coaching hot seat talk.

Any chance Urban Meyer goes down for this:
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...61186976141312

Ksyrup 08-01-2018 03:36 PM

Unconfirmed twitter reports that something may happen. In this day and age, Title IX is not something to mess with. Even brought down some pretty big names in the softball world at Auburn (which also played a part in Jay Jacobs resignation).

CU Tiger 08-01-2018 04:16 PM

Given the cover up allegations at Florida, and the current climate regarding domestic abuse, I think this has the potential to explode spectacularly...

bronconick 08-01-2018 05:02 PM

Ohio State also has the men wrestling team sex abuse scandal right now, too.

Ksyrup 08-01-2018 05:11 PM

He's been put on administrative leave pending an investigation. Smells like a potential Pitino separation coming soon...

Ksyrup 08-01-2018 05:12 PM

It's funny how hating on Urban Meyer is one of the few things that brings UF and FSU fans together.

Ksyrup 08-01-2018 05:13 PM

bhlloy 08-01-2018 05:26 PM

Let that be a lesson to college coaches everywhere, don't get caught covering up for your WR coach. Maybe a co-ordinator, but a WR coach just isn't worth the trouble.

Based on the texts he's gone. Or at least he's going to have to come out and call the significant others of a number of his fellow/former coaches flat out liars.

JPhillips 08-01-2018 06:54 PM

Burn down B1G athletics.

Kodos 08-02-2018 07:40 AM

I have this OSU fan friend from my high school days in Ohio who mocks UM and Jim Harbaugh like it is his job. Guess who had to step away from social media today as soon as the news struck?

Ksyrup 08-02-2018 07:51 AM

It's such a cynical world.

Butter 08-02-2018 07:52 AM

Figured Urban's tenure would flame out spectacularly. Here we are, probably a little earlier than I expected.

Kodos 08-02-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3213350)
It's such a cynical world.

Schadenfreude.

Kodos 08-02-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3213312)
Burn down B1G athletics.

I'm a Big Ten fan, but the Big Ten has covered itself in shame over the past decade. The whole prioritizing winning over basic human decency has to end.

1. Penn State - allowed a pedophile to go unchecked for 15 years in the football program
2. Michigan State - allowed a molester to run free in the athletics department over a 20 year period
3. Michigan State - tried to cover up sexual assaults perpetrated by members of both the football and basketball teams
4. Ohio State - allowed a molester to violate up to 2,500 student athletes over a period of years
5. Ohio State - allowed a chronic wife beater to remain as an assistant coach on the football team
6. Minnesota - multiple football players accused of sexual assault

This is shameful. I love college sports, but the win at all costs mentality has to stop. Coaches, administrators, and players need to be held accountable.

CU Tiger 08-02-2018 10:15 AM

Um...Dafuq?

James O'Keefe on Twitter: "We are hours from publishing undercover video exposing now-embattled Buckeye coach Urban Meyer's long history of abuse. Here's a sneak peek.… https://t.co/nI01WHfuOQ"

Looks like today will be a popcorn day

Ksyrup 08-02-2018 10:28 AM

Well, that escalated quickly.

Although, it sounds like this was something already in the hopper, and now that McMurphy beat them to the punch (no pun intended), they are having to move their story up., This is yet another one of those "we have explosive information but we're going to hold it until it will gather us the most clicks"-type of stories that I just don't understand. I mean, I get it from a marketing/financial aspect, but journalism shouldn't totally be about withholding information about things like abuse because you want to time it around the beginning of college football season to maximize your financial gain.

albionmoonlight 08-02-2018 12:45 PM

Edward64 08-02-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 3213363)
I'm a Big Ten fan, but the Big Ten has covered itself in shame over the past decade. The whole prioritizing winning over basic human decency has to end.

1. Penn State - allowed a pedophile to go unchecked for 15 years in the football program
2. Michigan State - allowed a molester to run free in the athletics department over a 20 year period
3. Michigan State - tried to cover up sexual assaults perpetrated by members of both the football and basketball teams
4. Ohio State - allowed a molester to violate up to 2,500 student athletes over a period of years
5. Ohio State - allowed a chronic wife beater to remain as an assistant coach on the football team
6. Minnesota - multiple football players accused of sexual assault

This is shameful. I love college sports, but the win at all costs mentality has to stop. Coaches, administrators, and players need to be held accountable.

As an Arkansas fan, it puts the Petrino adultery and giving a job to his mistress in perspective.

Say what you will about Petrino but that guy could coach college ball and he made due with bottom of SEC talent. Most fun I had with Razorback football during the Petrino years.

CU Tiger 08-02-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3213388)
As an Arkansas fan, it puts the Petrino adultery and giving a job to his mistress in perspective.

Say what you will about Petrino but that guy could coach college ball and he made due with bottom of SEC talent. Most fun I had with Razorback football during the Petrino years.

Stay tuned. Its about to get fun again.

Edward64 08-02-2018 03:20 PM

I sure hope so.

JPhillips 08-02-2018 03:55 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but this O'Keefe stuff seems really minor to me. Over promising in recruiting? Using recruit dreams as motivation in practice?

CU Tiger 08-02-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3213400)
Maybe I'm wrong, but this O'Keefe stuff seems really minor to me. Over promising in recruiting? Using recruit dreams as motivation in practice?

Yeah that was a big 'Who cares?' to me as well.

Maybe some of the injury ignoring raises a flag. But not necessarily grossly so.

dawgfan 08-02-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3213400)

It's James O'Keefe, so it can be dismissed out of hand.

cartman 08-02-2018 07:07 PM

Art Briles is now coaching in Italy. Kinda like 'Playing for Pizza' but with coaching.

MrBug708 08-02-2018 08:26 PM

UW just had their best incoming freshmen , ILB Brandon Kahlo, ask for his release.

dawgfan 08-02-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3213435)
UW just had their best incoming freshmen , ILB Brandon Kahlo, ask for his release.

This one is a weird situation. His aunt and uncle died unexpectedly earlier this summer and his parents are getting a divorce, so it sounds like the kid is really not in a great mindset right now.

There's also talk that Kaho doesn't actually want out from his LOI, but it's his dad pushing him. The same dad that really wanted him to go to Alabama. A dad that may be looking at some financial difficulties with a divorce coming.

Also, with guys like Marquis Spiker, Tuli Letuligasenoa, Colson Yankoff, Jacob Sirmon and Julius Irvin in this recruiting class it's not clear-cut that Ale Kaho was the best of the bunch.

BYU 14 08-03-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3213454)
This one is a weird situation. His aunt and uncle died unexpectedly earlier this summer and his parents are getting a divorce, so it sounds like the kid is really not in a great mindset right now.

There's also talk that Kaho doesn't actually want out from his LOI, but it's his dad pushing him. The same dad that really wanted him to go to Alabama. A dad that may be looking at some financial difficulties with a divorce coming.

Also, with guys like Marquis Spiker, Tuli Letuligasenoa, Colson Yankoff, Jacob Sirmon and Julius Irvin in this recruiting class it's not clear-cut that Ale Kaho was the best of the bunch.

Yeah there is a lot of talk about this on the BYU message board, with many hoping it brings him back to BYU where he originally committed. How about just let the kid get his thoughts together? It has been a rough summer, wishing him the best.

BYU 14 08-03-2018 07:31 PM

So Meyer has admitted he knew about the 2015 incident, which contradicts what he said at Big 10 media days. I don't see how he keeps his job know unless it comes out he did elevate the complaint up the food chain, which he also insinuates in his written statement.

GrantDawg 08-04-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3213526)
So Meyer has admitted he knew about the 2015 incident, which contradicts what he said at Big 10 media days. I don't see how he keeps his job know unless it comes out he did elevate the complaint up the food chain, which he also insinuates in his written statement.

I am no lawyer, but here is what I am seeing. Urban admits to knowing but says he reported it. That is going to take this out of a "fire for cause" situation. Lying to a reporter is not a fire for cause (ie. fire without pay) situation. If OSU can't fire him without having to pay him $39 million, they are not going to fire him. My guess is the will bring him back and weather the pr storm. The team will have a good year and all will be water under the bridge in a few years.

BYU 14 08-04-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3213539)
I am no lawyer, but here is what I am seeing. Urban admits to knowing but says he reported it. That is going to take this out of a "fire for cause" situation. Lying to a reporter is not a fire for cause (ie. fire without pay) situation. If OSU can't fire him without having to pay him $39 million, they are not going to fire him. My guess is the will bring him back and weather the pr storm. The team will have a good year and all will be water under the bridge in a few years.

I am seeing the same angle. The wild card here is the other issues OSU is dealing with now though. It will be quite a storm to weather if they do. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Lathum 08-04-2018 09:50 AM

Sports fans, and die hard college football fans especially, really are a repugnant group.

404 - StoryLine

tarcone 08-05-2018 11:06 AM

This is what happens when you lose to Iowa 55-24.

albionmoonlight 08-05-2018 11:59 AM

(1) Big time college sports are dirty.

(2) If your team wins a lot, it is almost certainly very dirty.

(3) If your team loses a lot, it is probably still very dirty.

(4) Maybe not the service academies?

(5) Otherwise, just be at peace with it and hope your guys aren't the ones who get caught. Or decide not to care.

Butter 08-06-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantDawg (Post 3213539)

Yup. Just came out and said they will complete the investigation in "14 days". Maybe that's long enough for this to die down? Maybe Urbs will want to "retire for health reasons" by the end of it.

Kinda figure out they are taking the 14 days to investigate not only this but to see if there are any other publicly exposable skeletons in the closet that could make this worse. If not, he comes back. If so, they hang him out to dry.

Kodos 08-06-2018 09:08 AM

Interviews with former players at UF that were filmed without the players' knowledge.

MrBug708 08-06-2018 10:47 AM

Some of those interviews looked sketchy, but some look like they were in front of a microphone of some sort.

tarcone 08-06-2018 02:44 PM

Iowa State coach Matt Campbell is the front runner for tOSU.

Im torn. Campbell is a fantastic coach. I hate to see him at Iowa State. And it would be a bummer if he went to tOSU.

tarcone 08-06-2018 02:51 PM

I think that type of stuff goes on at most universities. Shoot, watch Last Chance U on netflix. That coach at the Kansas CC verbally abuses his players all day long.

cartman 08-06-2018 03:09 PM

That video is from James O'Keefe, so odds are high there is some very heavy selective editing involved.

miami_fan 08-06-2018 06:24 PM

For those of you who could not make it...

tarcone 08-06-2018 08:07 PM

Now you know why Trump was elected

dawgfan 08-06-2018 08:34 PM

Washington grants Ale Kaho his release. We'll see what the Kaho family means when they say he wanted to be "closer to his family". Will he enroll at BYU? Or does his dad have a new job lined up in Alabama or Oregon?

BYU 14 08-06-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 3213859)
Washington grants Ale Kaho his release. We'll see what the Kaho family means when they say he wanted to be "closer to his family". Will he enroll at BYU? Or does his dad have a new job lined up in Alabama or Oregon?

Both schools have reached out, along with USC, FSU and others. I would love to get him at BYU, which would put him close to his family, but not holding my breath. Could hinge on how the BYU O looks this year after the complete dumpster fire we saw last year.

MrBug708 08-07-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3213861)
Both schools have reached out, along with USC, FSU and others. I would love to get him at BYU, which would put him close to his family, but not holding my breath. Could hinge on how the BYU O looks this year after the complete dumpster fire we saw last year.

People are thinking Bama...haha

BYU 14 08-08-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3214009)
People are thinking Bama...haha

Saw that too, which kind of brings the close to home narrative into question. I have also heard Stanford, which actually might be the best fit overall if he qualifies.

MrBug708 08-08-2018 01:26 PM

Stanford admissions is over and they don't take transfers

JonInMiddleGA 08-08-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3214067)
Stanford admissions is over and they don't take transfers

Is that a football thing? Cause they do accept transfer athletes

Or did you simply mean that they don't take them outside the normal admission window?

MrBug708 08-08-2018 02:31 PM

I believe it's a football thing for undergrads. Shaw likes talking about it. You can be a grad transfer

BYU 14 08-08-2018 03:10 PM

Interesting, did not know Football did not take undergrads.

dawgfan 08-08-2018 03:11 PM

All moot, as he is signing with Alabama as expected. Because Tuscaloosa is so much closer to home in Reno than Seattle...

So which enterprising reporter will be checking in to see where his dad ends up and in what new job?