Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What movie have you spent the most time watching? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=96280)

Lathum 12-01-2019 08:51 AM

What movie have you spent the most time watching?

Not necessarily the movie you have seen the most front to back, but the one you have spent the most hours watching. Maybe you had it in in the background, or it was on TBS and you put it on halfway through.

Kids movies don't count unless you actually like it. Cars would be pretty high up on my list if they did.

I think the top one for me is likely the original Star Wars. Close by would also be Christmas Vacation. I seem to binge watch that a lot around the holidays. Hocus Pocus would also be up there because I always throw it on in the background the month of October.

tarcone 12-01-2019 09:00 AM

Flash Gordon is one. The original Dune. Also, Highlander.

AnalBumCover 12-01-2019 09:06 AM

Whenever a Harry Potter weekend shows up on SyFy or some other channel we leave it on for background noise.

Edward64 12-01-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Whenever a Harry Potter weekend shows up on SyFy or some other channel we leave it on for background noise.

Don't have cable now but when I did, yeah I think Harry Potter movies in the background.

If its not "movies", I'd say one of the HGTV fix-flip-where to live house series.

Warhammer 12-01-2019 09:52 AM

Easy, Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan. After that, probably The Empire Strikes Back, or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

NobodyHere 12-01-2019 10:07 AM

If not Star Wars then probably some Rifftrax movie as I constantly have those on in the background.

Vince, Pt. II 12-01-2019 11:35 AM

Probably some crummy cartoon / Disney movie from the bringing up my little sister days - she's 10 years younger than me, there were a LOT of movies on repeat when I babysat her.

For movies I've intended to watch? Probably The Princess Bride or Love Actually.

molson 12-01-2019 12:08 PM

Probably Goonies or the Karate Kid. Or something else I had on a loop as background noise as a kid in the 80s. I don't watch TV like that anymore.

Lathum 12-01-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II (Post 3257898)
Probably some crummy cartoon / Disney movie from the bringing up my little sister days - she's 10 years younger than me, there were a LOT of movies on repeat when I babysat her.

For movies I've intended to watch? Probably The Princess Bride or Love Actually.

That is why I put in the "kids movies don't count" part; I am sure a lot of us have seen more hours of Frozen than anything else

sabotai 12-01-2019 12:24 PM

When I was in high school, I had Wayne's World and White Men Can't Jump on the same tape, and for a solid year when I came home from school I would pop that in and 'watch' (background noise) at least one of them. So most likely those two, with The Naked Gun up there as well.

Ryche 12-01-2019 01:51 PM

Princess Bride or Groundhog Day, if I see either on TV I'll likely watch

AlexB 12-01-2019 01:54 PM

Star Wars without a shadow of doubt

stevew 12-01-2019 01:58 PM

Goodfellas I think.

Ironhead 12-01-2019 03:03 PM

Not sure about the most but Die Hard and Back to the Future have to be far up there.

Groundhog 12-01-2019 04:08 PM

Groundhog's Day is probably the winner for me with how often it's on TV. I'll watch it any time I'm aware it's on.

B & B 12-01-2019 04:55 PM

Shawshank

honorable mention : Conan the Barbarian, Big Trouble in Little China

spleen1015 12-01-2019 05:31 PM

Empire Strikes Back. I used to watch it every day when I was 6-7 years old.

Today I would say Infinity War. I've watched it probably 50 times.

Bobble 12-01-2019 05:34 PM

If it doesn't have to be a movie, then it's probably the World War II in Color series on The Military Channel. It's my go-to background noise choice.

If it has to be a movie, then probably Shawshank. Maybe Fifth Element.

sabotai 12-01-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobble (Post 3257935)
then it's probably the World War II in Color series on The Military Channel.

That's on Netflix too (if it's the same one) and I use that background noise about once a week. Netflix also just came out with their own WWII series that now takes turns with WWII In Color for me.

Critch 12-01-2019 08:57 PM

Well known movie would be The Wizard of Oz. Love that movie.

Top of all movies would be Gregory's Girl. 1980's Scottish movie, it was filmed in my hometown with the school scenes shot at my school. It was my regular drunk/homesick movie when I first moved away from home, must've seen it hundreds of times.

It reminds me of two places I'd like to be. At home and the 1980s.

JPhillips 12-01-2019 09:00 PM

Airplane

albionmoonlight 12-01-2019 09:08 PM

I am not really a big rewatcher, nor do I tend to put on films in the background, so not a lot would qualify. Shawshank is probably the answer here. It certainly is in terms of my dedicated rewatches.

Others that come to mind are Ocean’s Eleven, which is what I tend to put on in the background whenever I do get in the rare mood for just something mindless back there. Also, I roomed with a guy for a couple of years, and he loved Boogie Nights, and he would pretty much just have that movie running constantly, so that might actually be the answer in terms of sheer hours.

JonInMiddleGA 12-01-2019 09:15 PM

Dang, that's a tougher question for me than I would have figured.

I can't definitively pick one, best I could narrow would be likely candidates.

Midway, The Longest Day, Die Hard, and El Dorado (the basically remake of Rio Bravo)

thealmighty 12-01-2019 09:23 PM

The Holy Grail probably. Watched it all the time and still do. In fact, it's on my DVR to watch from a BBCA Monty Python extravaganza just on.

molson 12-01-2019 09:24 PM

Thread hijack - what's the movie you saw most in the theaters?

I've only seen a handful of movies more than once in the theaters. I saw Austin Powers, Gladiator, and Avatar twice. I saw The Last Jedi 6 times - thanks to moviepass, and I wanted to see it in every format.

Dreghorn2 12-01-2019 09:33 PM

Patton easily for most watched film, in whole or in part.

BYU 14 12-01-2019 09:36 PM

Field of Dreams or Brian's Song. Also in the top 5 Step Brothers, Happy Gilmore and Heartbreak Ridge

RendeR 12-01-2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryche (Post 3257914)
Princess Bride or Groundhog Day, if I see either on TV I'll likely watch

This and the probably equal time of "The American President"

Groundhog 12-01-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3257957)

I've only seen a handful of movies more than once in the theaters. I saw Austin Powers, Gladiator, and Avatar twice. I saw The Last Jedi 6 times - thanks to moviepass, and I wanted to see it in every format.

I've only seen 1 movie more than once - saw Avatar three times. First time I loved, 2nd time I really liked, 3rd time was in 3D and it probably killed the movie for me.

molson 12-02-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3257964)
I've only seen 1 movie more than once - saw Avatar three times. First time I loved, 2nd time I really liked, 3rd time was in 3D and it probably killed the movie for me.

I saw Avatar in 3D in Vegas and it was amazing. Saw it back home in Boise again in 3D and it wasn't the same movie. I haven't bothered with my local theater's 3D screenings since. I'm not sure I'd I was in a particularly high-end Vegas theater or if my home theater was particularly shitty, but it was night and day.

Groundhog 12-02-2019 12:51 AM

I should clarify that the 3D itself was great (saw it at the huge imax cinema we used to have in Sydney at the time), but for whatever reason the movie just didn't grab me the 3rd time around. I tried watching it on TV again maybe a year or two ago and didn't make it more than 45 mins through, the magic just didn't last for me like it does with a lot of other sci fi movies.

Fidatelo 12-02-2019 06:52 AM

Zoolander.

spleen1015 12-02-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3257957)

I saw Infinity War 4 times in the theater.

Seeing The Last Jedi twice in the theater was 2 times too many for me. :D

albionmoonlight 12-02-2019 07:24 AM

Mrs. A points out that the answer for me is probably something in the Star Wars original trilogy, just because I would have had such a headstart in watching it and having it on on cable in the background pretty much from birth on. A lot of my other answers did not come out until I was already an adult and had lots of Star Wars hours already logged.

And then you add in the times I watched it in high school and college.

And then you add in the times it has been on while my kids have watched it . . .

Good question

(Also shout out to Jon for the Die Hard answer. That's one that I'll watch whenever it is on and give a dedicated watch every Christmas).

chesapeake 12-02-2019 09:20 AM

Until I had kids, the answer was Spaceballs. Over the last several years, the answer became Frozen, which, I am not ashamed to say, is a genuinely good movie.

Neon_Chaos 12-02-2019 10:31 AM

The Back To The Future trilogy, definitely. Can't not watch it whenever it's on.

Izulde 12-02-2019 10:57 AM

Probably either A Knight's Tale or Big Trouble In Little China.

RainMaker 12-02-2019 02:02 PM

Shawshank because I think TNT would play that every weekend it seemed in the past. Also Field of Dreams any time it's on.

Groundhog 12-02-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesapeake (Post 3257985)
Until I had kids, the answer was Spaceballs.

Spaceballs would be up there for me, too. Haven't seen it in a few years but pretty sure if I put it on right now I could still basically recite the script word-for-word in real time.

Radii 12-02-2019 04:18 PM

Either goodfellas or back to the future, both would get aired on TV from time to time (goodfells edits to make it ok for TBS are hilarious) and I would always stop changing channels any time i see them

Chief Rum 12-02-2019 04:32 PM

Has to be A New Hope. When I was a kid, we got our first VCR around 1980-81, and one of our first cassettes was Star Wars. In the summer of 80 and 81, I was 8 or 9, and my brothet a year younger. We both loved Star Wars and were right in that old enough to be obsessed and young enough not to feel guilty about being unproductive stage of our childhoods. So we basically watched Star Wars at least once every day of those summers. Must have watched it a hundred times.

And of course seen it a few times since on TV, and in the theater again when Lucas rejiggered it and added the digital animals.

chesapeake 12-03-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3258028)
Spaceballs would be up there for me, too. Haven't seen it in a few years but pretty sure if I put it on right now I could still basically recite the script word-for-word in real time.

Funny you would say that. I put it on while I was on the treadmill a couple of months ago after not having seen it in at least 20 years. All the lines were still there in my brain.

JediKooter 12-03-2019 10:24 AM

A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back for me. Heck I even sat a cassette recorder in front of our tv, recorded A New Hope so I could listen to it while I fell asleep.

QuikSand 12-03-2019 10:29 AM

A small group of friends joined me in re-watching The Doors for a whole summer anywhere within a reasonable drive of our campus, back when $2 second-run theaters were a thing. Likely saw it 6-10 times... or at least that's how I remember it. That's definitely my answer for "in theater," and I can't come up with anything else that beats it otherwise.

I recall watching Presumed Innocent at least 3-4 times, but that total seemed pretty unimpressive in contrast to some of y'all.

Izulde 12-03-2019 10:39 AM

Wait... seeing these comments, the answer is actually probably Clueless. During that lost year in Minnesota, I'd watch it literally every single day and imagined a life like that.

booradley 12-03-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critch (Post 3257949)
Well known movie would be The Wizard of Oz. Love that movie.

Top of all movies would be Gregory's Girl. 1980's Scottish movie, it was filmed in my hometown with the school scenes shot at my school. It was my regular drunk/homesick movie when I first moved away from home, must've seen it hundreds of times.

It reminds me of two places I'd like to be. At home and the 1980s.

I watched this because you made me. It was really enojoyable, although I struggled a bit with the accents. The plot twist at the end was dizzying, although I had been drinking a bit ...

tarcone 12-03-2019 07:58 PM

Caught the end of Flash Gordon on TV this afternoon.

RendeR 12-03-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKooter (Post 3258104)
A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back for me. Heck I even sat a cassette recorder in front of our tv, recorded A New Hope so I could listen to it while I fell asleep.

I have this on vinyl, Offers considered.

JediKooter 12-04-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RendeR (Post 3258187)
I have this on vinyl, Offers considered.

Oh nice! I never actually listened to it on vinyl.

Critch 12-04-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booradley (Post 3258176)
I watched this because you made me. It was really enojoyable, although I struggled a bit with the accents. The plot twist at the end was dizzying, although I had been drinking a bit ...

Yeah, it's a pretty good movie. Not all-time great or groundbreaking, but "nice" and fairly amusing.

There's a followup too, I have the dvd somewhere although I've never actually watched it, reviews were not good.

p.s. I'm assuming you're talking about Gregory's Girl and not the Wizard of Oz with the plot twist that he's not really a wizard.