Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Official 2017-18 NBA Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=93402)

Young Drachma 10-17-2017 07:46 PM

The Official 2017-18 NBA Regular Season Thread

I mean, Gordon Hayward warrants a season opening NBA thread, I'd think?

Groundhog 10-17-2017 07:48 PM

Yeah, I'd say so. Horrendous. Should be interesting to see what Tatum does now though, I guess.

JonInMiddleGA 10-17-2017 08:21 PM

Just horrendous, talk about star-crossed (or something).

miami_fan 10-17-2017 08:42 PM

Based on the texts I received earlier and the stuff I saw on social media, I am actually happy I just got home from my son's game and missed this injury.

Groundhog 10-17-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3180087)
Based on the texts I received earlier and the stuff I saw on social media, I am actually happy I just got home from my son's game and missed this injury.

It wasn't at the level of PG's break, but not something I need to see again.

miami_fan 10-17-2017 09:08 PM

So despite the injury, this is a 2 point game with under 10 minutes left in the 4th. The box score for the Cavs' starters is kinda stinky. The team is 3-15 from three.

PilotMan 10-17-2017 09:08 PM

That Nike/Chuck D/Lebron James commercial is the tits.

miami_fan 10-17-2017 09:10 PM

To be fair, The C's are not better at 6-25. I am talking more about the number of attempts as opposed to the percentage.

Groundhog 10-17-2017 09:13 PM

Cavs came out flat from halftime, but Lue has had his usual spell of bad lineup decisions and inability to adjust when Smart decided he was going to destroy Korver in the post every possession.

Groundhog 10-17-2017 09:17 PM

There must be few things as scary for a guard than being out on the break with the ball with LeBron just lurking a few steps behind you...

Groundhog 10-17-2017 09:32 PM

Shump in post-season form already with that foul on the inbound.

jbergey22 10-17-2017 10:58 PM

Something in the water at Oakland. Now swaggy cant miss.

MrBug708 10-18-2017 12:30 AM

Nice ending to the Rockets-GS game

jbergey22 10-18-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 3180134)
Nice ending to the Rockets-GS game

Rockets fought back... Draymond getting hurt probably opened the door. Warriors played kind of sloppy with turnovers and looked like they got the nice lead and thought they could coast.

Harden and Paul seem like an odd combo so I am still not sure how that is going to end up. Paul just kind of defers to Harden and watches, at least tonight he did.

Vince, Pt. II 10-18-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 3180136)
Rockets fought back... Draymond getting hurt probably opened the door. Warriors played kind of sloppy with turnovers and looked like they got the nice lead and thought they could coast.

Harden and Paul seem like an odd combo so I am still not sure how that is going to end up. Paul just kind of defers to Harden and watches, at least tonight he did.

This is pretty spot on. Paul just sort of stood around a lot. Chris Paul standing around while Harden goes iso-ball is not a great strategy.

Groundhog 10-18-2017 02:12 AM

Is Paul a little banged up? Didn't seem to move well. There was one possession in the 2nd half where he was iso on Durant and he made what looked like a 50% effort attempt to get an open look before passing the ball away, just didn't look like himself.

JonInMiddleGA 10-18-2017 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3180138)
Is Paul a little banged up? Didn't seem to move well. There was one possession in the 2nd half where he was iso on Durant and he made what looked like a 50% effort attempt to get an open look before passing the ball away, just didn't look like himself.

Sat out the final minutes with a sore knee. Pretty much all who commented afterwards -- player, coach, teammates -- talked about him gutting it out as best he could but with Eric Gordon healthy & ready, that was a better option than a less than healthy CP.

Groundhog 10-18-2017 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3180141)
Sat out the final minutes with a sore knee. Pretty much all who commented afterwards -- player, coach, teammates -- talked about him gutting it out as best he could but with Eric Gordon healthy & ready, that was a better option than a less than healthy CP.

Ah, thanks. Had the audio muted with the family over, pretending to be paying attention to conversations. :D

korme 10-18-2017 11:24 AM

I was at the game, electric atmosphere. 5 minutes and 15 seconds later the wind was taken out of the building, and this was Cleveland. I was on the opposite end of the floor so I couldn't see exactly how he landed or how bad it was. But we could tell it was bad because of all of the other player's reactions. Very unfortunate.

miami_fan 10-18-2017 12:45 PM

The guy who asked Kyrie how shocking it was to see Hayward's injury should probably lose his press pass pending remedial journalism training.

Subby 10-18-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3180092)
That Nike/Chuck D/Lebron James commercial is the tits.

Just incredible. Had me all fired up.

Also, can Kobe please be my life coach?

larrymcg421 10-18-2017 01:59 PM

Kobe, don't make me like you now.

Chief Rum 10-18-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3180141)

Get used to this, Houston.

Chief Rum 10-18-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3180179)
The guy who asked Kyrie how shocking it was to see Hayward's injury should probably lose his press pass pending remedial journalism training.

Yes and no. While somewhat tasteless, it is not out of question for a reporter to seek a comment about an event, even a horrific one, from someone else close to the play. From a journalism perspective, it's more egregious if the reporter asked Kyrie a leading question by assuming he would be shocked.

MrBug708 10-18-2017 06:52 PM

To be fair, that message from Kobe was kind of self serving. That's great, but if Kobe wants to tell GH this, he can always just pick up the phone and call. It's not like he won't answer Kobe. But the message is still a good one.

miami_fan 10-18-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3180206)
Yes and no. While somewhat tasteless, it is not out of question for a reporter to seek a comment about an event, even a horrific one, from someone else close to the play. From a journalism perspective, it's more egregious if the reporter asked Kyrie a leading question by assuming he would be shocked.

Just felt like a lazy question to me. We saw the video. Kyrie was shocked. Not sure why we needed a nuanced discussion of the level of shock.

jbergey22 10-18-2017 10:36 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Probably not a great idea to poke the bear. And if he only actually knew how good the Warriors actually are on defense.

JonInMiddleGA 10-19-2017 01:35 AM

Well, if Houston won that means that GS gave up more points so if Houston's D isn't serious then what does that say about GS?

I get where D'Antoni is coming from. Granted, Draymond is basically batshit & probably just needs to be ignored most of the time, but maybe part of dealing with the GS thing might be to call out the crazy stuff. {shrug}

Groundhog 10-19-2017 03:28 AM

Sixers looked pretty good today, they should be entertaining to watch those 20-odd games today's starting 5 play together... ;)

Fultz looked better today than the preseason games I watched, but still drives right to left and spins every single time he gets the ball. Simmons looked like RotY, super excited to see what he can do for Aussie basketball.

Neon_Chaos 10-19-2017 07:15 AM

Jeremy Lin. :(

Autumn 10-19-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korme (Post 3180169)
I was at the game, electric atmosphere. 5 minutes and 15 seconds later the wind was taken out of the building, and this was Cleveland. I was on the opposite end of the floor so I couldn't see exactly how he landed or how bad it was. But we could tell it was bad because of all of the other player's reactions. Very unfortunate.

It was terrible to see on TV, and my kids were sitting with me, excited for their first NBA game. The fall looked bad, but it was the fact that the commentator shouted "Hayward broke his leg" just one second after he fell that most disturbed me. As they were changing angles my brain was in slow motion thinking, how bad is this that he knows that already? Gruesome.

Arles 10-19-2017 11:19 AM

The Suns are already in midseason tanking mode. After 3 quarters at home against Portland, they were down 98-55 :D

I can't think of a worse start for Boston, they lose Hayward, their first 2 games and now Lin is out (making the Brooklyn pick even more valuable).

Subby 10-19-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3180234)
Well, if Houston won that means that GS gave up more points so if Houston's D isn't serious then what does that say about GS?

I get where D'Antoni is coming from. Granted, Draymond is basically batshit & probably just needs to be ignored most of the time, but maybe part of dealing with the GS thing might be to call out the crazy stuff. {shrug}

Is it crazy though? Warriors were ranked 2nd in team defense last season - pretty incredible considering they were ranked first offensively. This is just MDA trolling the defensive player of the year over one game. Probably not super smart since D'Antoni's teams are historically marginal on defense. But the soap opera is one of the things that makes the NBA so great, so please continue shit talking.

Logan 10-19-2017 01:14 PM

I would link it, but it's on Deadspin and I've learned my lesson about linking to there on FOFC. But search out today's story on Yi Jianlian.

If, like me, the first mention of Yi makes you think of him going up against a chair in a pre-draft workout, it appears we have all been conned by Bill Simmons taking a Danny Ainge joke as gospel and then running with it for a decade.

RainMaker 10-19-2017 01:29 PM

The Lin injury sucks. He's been such a great story in the NBA and unfortunately a patellar tendon tear is one of the worst injuries you can have as an athlete and likely ends any productiveness he has left in his career.

JonInMiddleGA 10-19-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 3180266)
Is it crazy though?

I meant in general (re: Draymond & batshit)

I'm reminded a little of the thing that wrestlers knew about promos, how you don't bury the guy you're going to beat 'cause it makes you look like you didn't do anything.

For DG to try to smack talk about the D of a team that you just gave up more points than ...

stevew 10-19-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3180277)
The Lin injury sucks. He's been such a great story in the NBA and unfortunately a patellar tendon tear is one of the worst injuries you can have as an athlete and likely ends any productiveness he has left in his career.

yeah, it has spawned several takes in me. Like the dude, he's a great bad player. But suddenly DeAngelo Russell might get a chance to shine and i like that dude's talent. But the Cavs own the Brooklyn pick so now I'm not sure if Brooklyn will be better or worse without Lin.

Arles 10-19-2017 02:36 PM

I think it's pretty clear they will be worse. Here's what ESPN had in their stats department:
Quote:

In 46 games without Jeremy Lin last season, the Nets went 7-39, compared to 13-23 with him. The only player on the Nets' current roster that averaged more points per game than Lin's 14.5 last season was D'Angelo Russell, who averaged 15.6 with the Lakers

BishopMVP 10-19-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 3180256)
I can't think of a worse start for Boston, they lose Hayward, their first 2 games and now Lin is out (making the Brooklyn pick even more valuable).

Plus bad, selfish Kyrie showed up last night. Hopefully it was over compensating after Hayward's injury, but having the ball stop that much last night is not what we want (or what we saw in preseason/Cleveland.) I also think Theis should be getting more minutes and Nader less at the end of the rotation, but Milwaukee is an odd team to matchup against (and if Giannis plays like he did last night, look out!) At least Jaylen & Rozier have continued the gains they showed in preseason.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3180279)
I meant in general (re: Draymond & batshit)

I'm reminded a little of the thing that wrestlers knew about promos, how you don't bury the guy you're going to beat 'cause it makes you look like you didn't do anything.

For DG to try to smack talk about the D of a team that you just gave up more points than ...

I think Draymond said the quote either in the offseason or during last year's playoffs, and opening night they were still winning comfortably when he left with a knee sprain. But I have no problem with D'Antoni needling him - if I coached/played against Draymond I'd 100% try to get under his skin too so he does something dumb.

JonInMiddleGA 10-19-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3180290)
I think Draymond said the quote either in the offseason or during last year's playoffs, and opening night they were still winning comfortably when he left with a knee sprain. But I have no problem with D'Antoni needling him - if I coached/played against Draymond I'd 100% try to get under his skin too so he does something dumb.

My fault for assuming the quote was current.

And your other point is well taken.

jbergey22 10-19-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3180291)
My fault for assuming the quote was current.

And your other point is well taken.

It all started when D'Antoni was talking about how the new look Houston and Golden State couldnt stop each other and how it would be a fun game.

Being a defensive person I am sure Draymond took offense to that comment and made that quote in response to D'Antoni.

Personally, I think D'Antoni probably isnt even aware of how efficient that the Warriors defense is which is sad when you are a NBA coach. He would strike me as the old school guy that only looks at points per game to make his conclusion.

Groundhog 10-19-2017 08:29 PM

Knicks rookie Ntilikina looking like he needs a couple of months in the G-League... First two shots airballs, and coughs up an awful turnover.

CrescentMoonie 10-19-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3180237)
Sixers looked pretty good today, they should be entertaining to watch those 20-odd games today's starting 5 play together... ;)

Fultz looked better today than the preseason games I watched, but still drives right to left and spins every single time he gets the ball. Simmons looked like RotY, super excited to see what he can do for Aussie basketball.

Fultz better get 475,000% better on defense and do it soon. Wall was salivating every time Fultz got switched onto him. He scored 10 points in 18 minutes and was still a -18. Also, how is it possible for his FT form to be that bad?

Groundhog 10-19-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3180325)
Fultz better get 475,000% better on defense and do it soon. Wall was salivating every time Fultz got switched onto him. He scored 10 points in 18 minutes and was still a -18. Also, how is it possible for his FT form to be that bad?

Yeah no doubt. He wasn't good (and if there was a re-draft would even go in the top 5?), but he wasn't as terrible as he looked preseason.

Groundhog 10-19-2017 11:05 PM

"Positionless" is usually a compliment, but maybe not with Ingram... still no idea what he projects to be. He isn't overly athletic, can't create good looks off the dribble, shooting stroke isn't automatic, hasn't shown many flashes of being a good defender... just seems to be lukewarm in every way.

Ball is definitely from the Westbrook school of rebounding. Good to see athletic PGs go attack the glass, it used to be a good way for less agile PGs to make a living on the defensive end (Andre Miller comes to mind) because no opposing PGs ever box out.

I'll try not to flood this thread, but with a newborn and 4 weeks parental leave, I'm watching way more live NBA than I'm used to... :D

BishopMVP 10-19-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 3180328)
Yeah no doubt. He wasn't good (and if there was a re-draft would even go in the top 5?), but he wasn't as terrible as he looked preseason.

I have zero idea what's going on with Fultz's FT stroke - I assume it's partially shoulder injury related, but why would any team let him practice bad habits like that - but you really think he'd drop out of the top 5 already? Dennis Smith would go higher than #8 for sure, I'm coming around to Danny Ainge's PoV on Jayson Tatum, maybe the Lakers still felt obligated to take Ball, and Donovan Mitchell/Kyle Kuzma look much more NBA-ready, but they're much older, and Fultz has those crazy good skills for a spread pick & roll system.

I'm much more ready to write off Ingram's superstar potential. He'll have a place in the league as a rotation guy, but like you I just don't see him having the necessary athleticism to be elite. Ironically enough that was what I assumed Jayson Tatum was coming out of Duke, but he's looked much more fluid, and obviously has much more bulk to go with the same level of quickness.

Groundhog 10-20-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 3180339)
I have zero idea what's going on with Fultz's FT stroke - I assume it's partially shoulder injury related, but why would any team let him practice bad habits like that - but you really think he'd drop out of the top 5 already? Dennis Smith would go higher than #8 for sure, I'm coming around to Danny Ainge's PoV on Jayson Tatum, maybe the Lakers still felt obligated to take Ball, and Donovan Mitchell/Kyle Kuzma look much more NBA-ready, but they're much older, and Fultz has those crazy good skills for a spread pick & roll system.

Fultz might come around, but he's got some serious red flags... At this point I would take Tatum, Ball (despite today), Fox, and Smith over him in some order for sure, and Mitchell also most likely based on preseason. I didn't rate Jackson or Isaac before the draft, and haven't really seen anything to change that since, and would probably pick Fultz over them.

JonInMiddleGA 10-20-2017 02:20 AM

The highlights of Patrick Beverly giving lil' Lonzo the business were entertaining.

Hopefully there'll be 81 similar nights.

Calis 10-20-2017 08:18 AM

I watched the Lakers/Clippers game which was my first real experience with Lonzo.

Starting your first pro game with Beverley on you is a brutal welcoming.

He’s in a rough spot because even the plays/passes he made that were really nice end up in the hands of shitty shooters. Is he always that dead eyed(emotionally/visibly, not shooting). I couldn’t tell if that’s just him or if he was petrified.

The Thunder game I was more interested in and it had some promising moments. Hard to make too much out of it because it was the Knicks though. Westbrook seems like he will not mind sharing.

Melo and George both shot pretty bad. I have more faith in PG figuring it out than Melo but we’ll have to see.

Knicks are going to have an extremely long year.

MrBug708 10-20-2017 08:29 AM

Lozno is pretty devoid of emotion. A lot of his passes were great passes, where the shot was either missed or because of the spacing, another pass or two and it was made. No assist, but the play was actually executed correctly.