Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to Watch Instantly on Netflix? (and now all streaming services) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=80004)

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-18-2011 09:08 PM

BTW.....the new setup where Netflix organizes the entire series together in one spot rather than having to search out each season of a series is a great improvement. Makes it a lot easier to watch the TV series. Also lets you know how many shows you're looking at watching if you do decide to dive into a series.

terpkristin 04-19-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2457391)
BTW.....the new setup where Netflix organizes the entire series together in one spot rather than having to search out each season of a series is a great improvement. Makes it a lot easier to watch the TV series. Also lets you know how many shows you're looking at watching if you do decide to dive into a series.

It's a double-edged sword. I have some series like Scrubs, Family Guy, and South Park that are long-running, and it's hard to sort through over 100 episodes to find the one I want, which is what I do when I watch those shows.

/tk

Raiders Army 04-23-2011 08:01 PM

We watched Ip Man based on the recommendations over at slickdeals (the Blu-Ray is $14). I would heartily recommend this movie for any kung fu fan...or anyone else for that matter. My wife's chief complaint is she didn't like reading the subtitles, but I got used to it after a bit.

It is an excellent movie.

Spoiler

PilotMan 04-23-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2458114)
It's a double-edged sword. I have some series like Scrubs, Family Guy, and South Park that are long-running, and it's hard to sort through over 100 episodes to find the one I want, which is what I do when I watch those shows.

/tk

See, it's not hard for me, because I am cursed to watch episodes numerically, unless I've already seen it, an episode must be watched in order. It can get a little tedious.

bignej 04-24-2011 07:54 PM

Blue Mountain State - raunchy series about a fictional college football team. Not normally my cup of tea but 1 episode quickly turned into 8. Waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can watch more.

terpkristin 04-24-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 2460174)
See, it's not hard for me, because I am cursed to watch episodes numerically, unless I've already seen it, an episode must be watched in order. It can get a little tedious.

Yeah, I do that for a first-watch, too (like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, which I've been watching). But for stuff that I just use to zone out/relax, like old favorite episodes of Scrubs, South Park, Futurama, or Family Guy, the new series feature is particularly annoying.

/tk

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-25-2011 07:26 AM

Wow, there's a ton of new movies out there now. Looks like they added most of the 007 library to the list.

hoopsguy 04-25-2011 07:51 AM

Now rotating between Dexter for my online viewing while waiting for mail shipments of The Wire. Too much good TV.

Butter 04-25-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweed (Post 2457211)
And "Cheers" has finally made it to instant watch:)

Also the whole Jack Lord "Hawaii Five O" series and all of the old "Mission Impossible" episodes. Time to relive my youth.

That is awesome. Going to make the Cliff on Jeopardy episode a priority watch soon.

Sweed 04-28-2011 11:01 AM

And "Wings" is now being streamed.

If it weren't for sports I think I could cancel Dish and get along just fine with only netflix.

panerd 04-28-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweed (Post 2462206)
And "Wings" is now being streamed.

If it weren't for sports I think I could cancel Dish and get along just fine with only netflix.

I have the same problem and am generally late to the party (i.e. took me years to stop paying for a landline, kept my starz subscription until I realized netflix provided it as part of their streaming...) so if somebody could get me out from directv's ridiculous pricing plan I would be forever grateful. I wonder if a way exists already to watch sports as everything else could easily be watched on netflix, over the air antenna, and worst case hulu+.

I guess specifically I am talking about PTI, Fox Sports Midwest for Cardinals and Tigers, and a way to watch ESPN on my TV.

gstelmack 04-28-2011 12:00 PM

I just gave up on most sports outside of broadcast NFL games and some broadcast college games. I lost watching most of the NHL, I've never watched that much NBA and MLB, and tough for ESPN hiding all the stuff on ESPN3/360 so it could be tied to needing an ESPN subscription through cable TV.

Although the non-NFL leagues are supposed to have reasonable streaming packages available if you want them. The NFL charges an arm and a leg, does it through DirecTV, and they have restrictions (sigh).

Even sports weren't worth the $80/month it would cost me to keep them.

Sweed 04-28-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2462233)
I have the same problem and am generally late to the party (i.e. took me years to stop paying for a landline, kept my starz subscription until I realized netflix provided it as part of their streaming...) so if somebody could get me out from directv's ridiculous pricing plan I would be forever grateful. I wonder if a way exists already to watch sports as everything else could easily be watched on netflix, over the air antenna, and worst case hulu+.

I guess specifically I am talking about PTI, Fox Sports Midwest for Cardinals and Tigers, and a way to watch ESPN on my TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 2462244)
I just gave up on most sports outside of broadcast NFL games and some broadcast college games. I lost watching most of the NHL, I've never watched that much NBA and MLB, and tough for ESPN hiding all the stuff on ESPN3/360 so it could be tied to needing an ESPN subscription through cable TV.

Although the non-NFL leagues are supposed to have reasonable streaming packages available if you want them. The NFL charges an arm and a leg, does it through DirecTV, and they have restrictions (sigh).

Even sports weren't worth the $80/month it would cost me to keep them.

We are in a dead spot for over the air reception of local tv. I could go with the very basic cable package (still get NFL games and espn 360 is part of the package) and save $80 or so a month. That would leave me plenty to pay for MLB over the net and still come out way ahead.

My problem is even though I'm an ~8 hour drive from Chicago MLB still puts me in the blackout area for my Cubs:mad: (at least last time I checked). If I could find a way around that I would seriously look at making the change. I do enjoy my baseball IE Cubs games though and going without isn't something I want to do.

gstelmack 04-28-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweed (Post 2462341)
We are in a dead spot for over the air reception of local tv. I could go with the very basic cable package (still get NFL games and espn 360 is part of the package) and save $80 or so a month. That would leave me plenty to pay for MLB over the net and still come out way ahead.

My problem is even though I'm an ~8 hour drive from Chicago MLB still puts me in the blackout area for my Cubs:mad: (at least last time I checked). If I could find a way around that I would seriously look at making the change. I do enjoy my baseball IE Cubs games though and going without isn't something I want to do.

See I'm in the "if they don't want to make it easy for me to watch, screw 'em, I've got plenty else to do" camp. I'm one of those who hasn't watched a Thursday night NFL game since they came on NFL network, and while I miss them, I don't miss paying for them. That's one less subscriber / advertising viewer they lose out on. Same for ESPN, the sports that are on it, etc. I may be just a drop in the bucket, but that bucket gets more and more full each year as people drop cable and satellite service for OTA / broadband.

If they want me to watch, they'll make it easy for me. If they'd rather cozy up to the cable companies, eh, that's their business, I'll just go play more Portal 2, or Mario Kart with the kids, or go to a movie (sigh), or other much cheaper forms of entertainment. Life's to short to pay $80/month for the privilege of watching other guys play games.

tarcone 04-28-2011 05:24 PM

We got rid of directv and have local and netflix. I listen to the Cards on the radio. College football hasnt started. Im wondering where I can get my Iowa football. But beyond that we havent looked back.

Butter 05-20-2011 11:41 AM

The movie FOUR LIONS. It is a hilarious movie about 4 terrorists planning a big "job" in London. It doesn't sound hilarious, but damned if it isn't. Watch it today. Three thumbs up.

digamma 05-20-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2462453)
We got rid of directv and have local and netflix. I listen to the Cards on the radio. College football hasnt started. Im wondering where I can get my Iowa football. But beyond that we havent looked back.

ESPN3 probably gets you a lot of the way there.

DanGarion 05-20-2011 01:00 PM

Netflix on Android phone is awesome.

gstelmack 05-20-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digamma (Post 2473088)
ESPN3 probably gets you a lot of the way there.

Assuming you can get it. Since I don't get TV with TWC, I don't get ESPN3 over my RoadRunner connection.

AnalBumCover 05-20-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2473134)
Netflix on Android phone is awesome.

You got it to stream on your Android? Which phone do you have?

RainMaker 05-20-2011 01:40 PM

Friday Night Lights. The first 4 seasons are on Netflix Instant and the 5th and final one will be up shortly (it's out on DVD). It is an incredible show, you just have to give it half a season to really hit you. The most realistic characters I've ever come across in a television show.

JPhillips 05-20-2011 01:52 PM

Marwencol is a great documentary about a former alcoholic that was beaten nearly to death and now creates and photographs pseudo-WWII scenes as a sort of self therapy.

Scoobz0202 05-20-2011 02:06 PM

I watched Marwencol a few weeks ago. Was really interesting.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-20-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalBumCover (Post 2473154)

There's Netflix streaming on iPhone as well. Just have to download the app.

DanGarion 05-20-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalBumCover (Post 2473154)

Droid X. I used a modified version of the released version (since the Droid is not officially supported at this time).

dave731 05-20-2011 06:55 PM

It looks like they just added "Eerie, Indiana", just finished watching the "Bite the hand that feeds us" episode...that show was great when I was a kid. I'm loving Wings and Cheers as well. I'd be done with regular television as well if it weren't for sports and I'm still leaning strongly towards canceling DirectTV. If I used the $80/month towards attending Clemson football and basketball games, I might still come out alright.

JPhillips 05-24-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2473084)
The movie FOUR LIONS. It is a hilarious movie about 4 terrorists planning a big "job" in London. It doesn't sound hilarious, but damned if it isn't. Watch it today. Three thumbs up.

This is really good, like Monty Python on jihad.

Qwikshot 05-24-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 (Post 2473175)
I watched Marwencol a few weeks ago. Was really interesting.

I concur, I watched it too. Odd to think that getting lost in fantasy allows for one to get reattached to reality.

DataKing 05-24-2011 09:34 AM

Highlander. No, not any of the terrible sequels or any of the other bullshit that followed, but the original. If you haven't seen it, do so.

wade moore 05-24-2011 09:50 AM

Highly disappointed that Veronica Mars was pulled. We were about 1/2 through season 2.

cschex 05-24-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 2474515)
Highly disappointed that Veronica Mars was pulled. We were about 1/2 through season 2.

Are you sure it was pulled? It's still showing up in my Instant Queue

GoSeahawks 05-24-2011 11:15 AM

God Grew Tired of Us
It's about the Lost Boy's of Sudan coming over to America, learning our culture having never used running water or electricity and working to send money back home. Very interesting...

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-24-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cschex (Post 2474564)

If they pull an instant watch and you have it in the queue, you still have access to it. Always wise to add things to your queue if you're in the process of watching it. I've learned that the hard way more than once.

tarcone 05-24-2011 11:46 AM

America:The Story of Us. Watched the 1st couple episodes. There are 12 in all. Pretty good documentary. Good facts. Like 10% of all Americans can trace the heritage back to the Mayflower.

wade moore 05-24-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cschex (Post 2474564)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2474572)
If they pull an instant watch and you have it in the queue, you still have access to it. Always wise to add things to your queue if you're in the process of watching it. I've learned that the hard way more than once.

This was different.

It was in my queue, went to watch it, and it said it wasn't available.

However, it appears to be back as if you search for it it is in the options to add and play.

Odd.

RainMaker 05-24-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarcone (Post 2474581)
America:The Story of Us. Watched the 1st couple episodes. There are 12 in all. Pretty good documentary. Good facts. Like 10% of all Americans can trace the heritage back to the Mayflower.

I was excited to see this but I didn't really like it. Felt they focused too much on getting celebrities into the thing than putting together good information. I'd rather see historians or figures who lived out those events than hear what Puff Daddy and George Lopez thing about it.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-24-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2474643)
I was excited to see this but I didn't really like it. Felt they focused too much on getting celebrities into the thing than putting together good information. I'd rather see historians or figures who lived out those events than hear what Puff Daddy and George Lopez thing about it.

+1. All the blowhards just ruined it.

DataKing 06-03-2011 11:37 AM

Some nice additions recently. Particularly for South Park (the first 14 seasons) and Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead, The Man with the Screaming Brain, Alien Apocalypse) fans.

DanGarion 06-03-2011 11:56 AM

My wife and I have been rewatching Eureka, highly suggest it for anyone that would like to watch a light Sci-Fi show.

McLovin 06-05-2011 11:47 AM

WWII in HD. Awesome documentary following personal stories with a lot of never before seen footage. Very well done.

JonInMiddleGA 06-08-2011 08:34 PM

I guess I'm now part of this thread whether I like it or not.

Gave in to wife & son and signed up for Netflix tonight.

Good news: They're both happy.
Bad news: The first movie my son joins an XBL party to watch with friends is directed by Uwe Boll (Far Cry).

I feel like such a parental failure.

JonInMiddleGA 06-08-2011 08:44 PM

Okay, noob question time I guess.

What's the deal with the instant stuff, does it come & go frequently? Checked out the instantwatcher site mentioned a few pages back in the thread & incredibly randomly saw that the 1964 Beckett expires tomorrow, notable since I was just talking about that movie here at home two days ago. The site noted that it was available for streaming for two years, is that kind of normal? long?

molson 06-08-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2482137)

What's the deal with the instant stuff, does it come & go frequently? Checked out the instantwatcher site mentioned a few pages back in the thread & incredibly randomly saw that the 1964 Beckett expires tomorrow, notable since I was just talking about that movie here at home two days ago. The site noted that it was available for streaming for two years, is that kind of normal? long?

I have huge queues (close to 500+ dvds, 150+ instant), and most weeks there's 3-4 changes in either direction (stuff moving on and off the instant watch list). But most things seem to stay on instant watch once they get there (seems like 90 to 95% do).

Matthean 06-08-2011 09:35 PM

Freakonomics and No Impact Man were rather good documentaries I watched. I had not seen Blazing Saddles in decades so that was fun to watch again. Mostly been watching season one of Veronica Mars.

judicial clerk 06-08-2011 10:03 PM

Pulp Fiction

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-08-2011 11:57 PM

Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a great documentary. Tough not to root for these guys by the end of the show.

RainMaker 06-09-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2482137)

I'm showing it as available on mine and nothing about it expiring.

From what I gather, Netflix rotates movies in and out. I don't know if this is a server space issue or part of the deals they cut with the studios. Probably a mix of both.

I'd also be curious to see if movie availability is different for various regions. Netflix uses a content delivery network that is more localized so I can imagine that some of the least requested items might get rotated out of regions for more popular ones as a cost cutting measure. So maybe the servers I pull it from has it while yours doesn't right now. I had a bunch of National Geographic stuff on mine that became unavailable recently.

I'm pretty sure they use user statistics on some of the things so saving items to your instant queue is always a smart move even if it's not currently available.

JonInMiddleGA 06-09-2011 02:04 PM

They Live

JPhillips 06-09-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2482303)
Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a great documentary. Tough not to root for these guys by the end of the show.

I enjoyed that one too. I wish someone had pointed out the biggest problem with the band was the sound of the lead singer.

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-09-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2482744)
I enjoyed that one too. I wish someone had pointed out the biggest problem with the band was the sound of the lead singer.

Yeah, it was sort of odd. He was the glue that kept the band together, but also seemed like the one who kept them from succeeding. But at the same time, you're really excited for him and the band during the final scene/concert.