Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yet another school shooting. (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=90787)

miami_fan 10-16-2018 12:19 PM

I really need to do a self evaluation to figure out why I am not as fearful about things as I should be. I feel like we all should be shooting way more than we are due to fear of life.

SackAttack 10-16-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3220423)
Eh, based on what I saw on the video and below, I don't believe this was a justified shooting. Best thing would have been to call the cops and maybe followed the guy at a distance until the cops arrived.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-c...ce-video-shows

The bolded bit are the magic words that get 99.99% of police officers, on duty or off, acquitted in the rare event they have to face the music.

I think the only time I've seen it NOT work was when there was video evidence directly contradicting the officer's testimony in open court. And even then he was like "well maybe what I'm remembering is different than how it went down, but I'm not LYING. I just have a different memory of events than what the video shows."

He got convicted, but on lesser charges than what were filed, IIRC.

BishopMVP 10-16-2018 02:00 PM

It's a homeless felon within arms reach, with a hatchet in his hand, in the process of committing a crime? I would never confront that person in a million years because it's unnecessarily putting myself in danger, and the store owner should get some punishment for escalating the situation, but yeah I'd buy that he was fearful at the time.

NobodyHere 10-16-2018 02:04 PM

I'd just throw out there that I'm not exactly comfortable with a guy stealing a hatchet and I'm glad that he was confronted. I mean what are the odds that the guy uses the hatchet for firewood vs using the hatchet to split a guy's skull open?

Edward64 10-17-2018 01:07 PM

The damn US contagion is spreading.

Crimea shooting: NINETEEN people are killed in school massacre | Daily Mail Online
Quote:

Nineteen people were killed and at least 40 were injured in a gun and bomb rampage at a school in Crimea today.

Vladislav Roslyakov, 18, stalked his college halls with a shotgun, shooting 17 dead and then killing himself in the school library. Another pupil died in hospital hours later as seven fight for their lives.

The teenager, who is thought to have obtained shotguns and rifles with a hunting licence, also set off a homemade nail-bomb in the canteen which blew out the windows but did not kill anyone, according to reports.

Pictures from the scene showed the shooter's bag filled with what appeared to be ten homemade bombs and dozens of shotgun rounds.

The boy's father, who has separated from his mother, was tonight taken into custody for questioning as police tried to work out a motive for the attack and both parents' homes were searched. Friends said the fourth-year pupil 'hated his studies and vowed revenge on his teachers'.

Ksyrup 10-19-2018 02:43 PM

Very possible we narrowly avoided a school shooting close to home. Anderson County is the next county over from me and about 30 minutes west of Lexington.

KSP: Suspect Was In Possession Of 100-Round Capacity Magazine, Kevlar Vest | LEX18.com

Lathum 10-19-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3220772)
Very possible we narrowly avoided a school shooting close to home. Anderson County is the next county over from me and about 30 minutes west of Lexington.

KSP: Suspect Was In Possession Of 100-Round Capacity Magazine, Kevlar Vest | LEX18.com

Do you know what kind of sentence those crimes carry?

Ksyrup 10-19-2018 03:23 PM

Probably not enough.

Edward64 10-20-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3220423)
Eh, based on what I saw on the video and below, I don't believe this was a justified shooting. Best thing would have been to call the cops and maybe followed the guy at a distance until the cops arrived.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-c...ce-video-shows

An update. I agree with the decision.

Quote:

After the shooting, Dunn told detectives he acted out of fear. Lopez was carrying the ax but he was holding its blade in the palm of his hand, a probable cause affidavit says.

Florida State Attorney Brian Haas said during a press conference on Friday that he believes Dunn's actions were not justified under Florida's "stand your ground" law.

Dunn's attorney Rusty Franklin told CNN affiliate WFLA that he believes his client acted in self-defense.

"There was a video, it clearly shows that the shoplifter was wielding an ax," Franklin told WFLA. "He had no choice, but to protect himself, and that's what we hope that this trial will prove."
:
"At no time did the victim appear to have made any threatening movements towards the suspect," the affidavit states.

Witnesses told police that Lopez did not verbally threaten Dunn.

Ksyrup 10-23-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3220772)

As a follow-up on this, locally it's gotten a fair amount of coverage as you would expect, but the circumstances are now making the national rounds. This guy randomly messaged some woman in NJ with racist comments about her kids, and she had a gut feeling something wasn't right, so she called KSP which lead to him being arrested as he was pulling out of his driveway armed for a school shooting. You can literally see the local high school from his house.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jerse...ng-in-kentucky

PilotMan 10-23-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3221012)
As a follow-up on this, locally it's gotten a fair amount of coverage as you would expect, but the circumstances are now making the national rounds. This guy randomly messaged some woman in NJ with racist comments about her kids, and she had a gut feeling something wasn't right, so she called KSP which lead to him being arrested as he was pulling out of his driveway armed for a school shooting. You can literally see the local high school from his house.

Wow, I didn't hear about this one. Hard to swallow, but KY does have a special breed here.

RainMaker 10-23-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3221012)

Thank God she made that call.

This member of the heavily armed well-regulated militia still has his Facebook page up and it's equally creepy. Photos of the Columbine shooters and Timothy McVeigh.

Edward64 10-23-2018 03:06 PM

Definitely scary what could have happened.

RainMaker 10-26-2018 03:05 PM

That Kroger shooting seems racially motivated and could have been worse. He tried to shoot up a church.

You'll also notice that his background involves violence against women. A common theme in almost every mass shooter.

'Whites don't shoot whites,' suspected gunman told man after killing 2 black customers at Kentucky Kroger - Chicago Tribune

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/26/us/ke...ing/index.html

miami_fan 10-26-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221319)
That Kroger shooting seems racially motivated and could have been worse. He tried to shoot up a church.

You'll also notice that his background involves violence against women. A common theme in almost every mass shooter.

'Whites don't shoot whites,' suspected gunman told man after killing 2 black customers at Kentucky Kroger - Chicago Tribune

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/26/us/ke...ing/index.html

Be careful bringing race into this case.

RainMaker 10-26-2018 06:07 PM

Why? The feds are investigating it as a hate crime.

NobodyHere 10-26-2018 06:10 PM

I didn't read the story but most murders in this country are intraracial.

miami_fan 10-26-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221336)
Why? The feds are investigating it as a hate crime.

See above post.

miami_fan 10-27-2018 09:56 AM

Active shooter situation confirmed at Pittsburgh Synagogue.

Ben E Lou 10-27-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3221373)
Active shooter situation confirmed at Pittsburgh Synagogue.

stevew 10-27-2018 12:03 PM

Squirrel Hill is nice, not where you'd expect that type of thing...other than if you wanted to target Jews

stevew 10-27-2018 12:05 PM

Dola- I Uber that block/region all the time. Crazy

JPhillips 10-27-2018 12:21 PM

Trump is so bad at the easy part of the job. He can't provide any comfort.

Quote:

"To see this happening again and again and again, it's just a shame," he says.

He's asked if there's anything that can be done.

"Look at the violence all over the world. The world is violent. The world is a violent world."

larrymcg421 10-27-2018 01:21 PM

And he's already moved on to victim blaming by saying they should've been armed inside the synagogue. Fuck this guy and everybody who supports him or tries to gaslight with "both sides" nonsense.

Ksyrup 10-27-2018 01:32 PM

No better outcome to all of this than to ensure we have armed guards at our schools and churches. Perfect solution. Very comforting as well. Its like a win/win!

BYU 14 10-27-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 3221386)
And he's already moved on to victim blaming by saying they should've been armed inside the synagogue. Fuck this guy and everybody who supports him or tries to gaslight with "both sides" nonsense.

He really is one of the most ignorant motherfuckers that has ever walked the earth. Pistol packing nuns, teachers and cocktail waitresses are the future of controlling gun violence, yep that's it.

JonInMiddleGA 10-27-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Fuck this guy and everybody who supports him or tries to gaslight with "both sides" nonsense.

Which is pretty much how those of us with working brains feel about the collection of fools opposing him, particularly when he's stating such simple & obvious truths like you quoted.

But since you're spouting liberal lunacy I figure you can say whatever you want here & there's nobody going to touch you for it.

stevew 10-27-2018 02:11 PM

How long until we find out this fucktwat had a history of beating women, supporting white nationalist groups and or was dishonorably discharged.

JPhillips 10-27-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

There are 350000 or so religious congregations in the United States. Let's say you could figure out a way to cover every service with one guard per congregation, so 350000 armed, trained security guards. There are less than 670000 police officers in the United States. Where are these people coming from? And don't forget that you need multiple guards for each of the 130000 or so schools in the United States. This idea is going to need at least a million new armed, trained guards.

I'm an elder in my church, so I know our budget problems well, and we're very similar to tens of thousands of other congregations. Let's say we can find a part-time guard for every service at the incredibly reasonable cost of 10000 a year. That would mean we end our local and global mission work and put all that money and more towards a security guard. Not only would we feel like a bunker, we'd basically be that as our connection to the rest of the world would completely end.

Even if you accept the very problematic issue of worshipping in an armed environment, the practical realities make this and arming school guards terrible ideas.

PilotMan 10-27-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU 14 (Post 3221391)
He really is one of the most ignorant motherfuckers that has ever walked the earth. Pistol packing nuns, teachers and cocktail waitresses are the future of controlling gun violence, yep that's it.

Why stop there, I think the students need to be armed. They completely outnumber the teachers, and when a gunman comes in and there's 20 guns pointed at him he will really think twice!

Hmm, so for safety in our free society, we need to have armed guards everywhere for every situation. For our safety, of course.

whomario 10-27-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3221392)
Which is pretty much how those of us with working brains feel about the collection of fools opposing him, particularly when he's stating such simple & obvious truths like you quoted.

But since you're spouting liberal lunacy I figure you can say whatever you want here & there's nobody going to touch you for it.

Murica ! Moooore Guns. Hope your ancestors get to live in a society more in tune with common sense. Maybe they'll even experience a year where you only have twice the rate of gun violence as the rest of the western world, rather than 5 times as many while still thinking the solution is somehow more guns and those choosing not to add them to the equation are the idiots.

whomario 10-27-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Dude, that's exactly how the Rest of the Western World doe... wait, no. They regulate gun ownership beyond a token 'effort'. Sorry, it is a confusing topic. Also, a friend of mine is basically done with a 150 page dissertation on making a rock solid comparison between Trumps rhetoric and those of Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and other enlightened great leaders. Main problem is cutting it to 150.

In the hopes it gets through to at least one person, my usually attempt at offering a synopsis i find easy to grasp:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

MrBug708 10-27-2018 05:29 PM

The Jewish religion/country seems to have a unique set of hatred. Far right wingers hate them because they "control" everything. The far left hates them because they are anti-zionist over the whole middle east homeland thing. We don't have a big Jewish population where I live, so the hatred seems pretty minor as something in the forefront, though we had a huge shooting back in 99 on the other side of LA. Most conservative churches tend to still come out in support of Jews and Isreal because of the whole God's Chosen People dogma.

Edward64 10-27-2018 06:13 PM

I didn't watch his speech/comment but if the below is accurate and there is no more context, I don't see it as blaming the victims.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/polit...rgh/index.html
Quote:

President Donald Trump said Saturday that the outcome of the deadly shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue would have been different had an armed guard been in place.

"If there was an armed guard inside the temple, they would have been able to stop him," he said to reporters before boarding a flight to a pair of events later in the afternoon.

There are multiple fatalities in the shooting, and at least six people are injured, including four police officers, Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said.

Trump also said the nation should strengthen its laws surrounding the death penalty.

"When people do this, they should get the death penalty," he said. "Anybody that does a thing like this to innocent people that are in temple or in church ... they should be suffering the ultimate price, they should pay the ultimate price."

When asked if the shooting indicated a need to revisit gun laws, Trump replied that the shooting "has little to do with it" and that an armed guard might have been able to stop the gunman "immediately."

Asked if he was advocating for armed guards inside if places of worship, Trump replied, "no, it's certainly an option."

Michael Eisenberg, the immediate past president of Tree of Life Congregation Synagogue, told CNN affiliate WPXI that on the high holidays, there is a police presence. But not on this Saturday.

"On a day like today, the door is open," he said. "It's a religious service, you could walk in and out."

If he said "there should have been an armed guard inside the temple .." then yeah, I can see that as blaming them.

Edward64 10-27-2018 06:19 PM

Apparently he got the weapons legally.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/sy...ile/index.html
Quote:

Bowers has an active license and has made at least six known firearm purchases since 1996, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. On September 29, Bowers posted photos of his handgun collection on his Gab.com account, which included multiple clips and sights. A rifle and three handguns were found on the scene of the attack, the FBI said.

Hates Jews and migrants/refugees etc.

Quote:

On his Gab.com account, Bowers claimed Jews were helping transport members of the migrant caravans. He shared a video that another Gab.com user posted, purportedly of a Jewish refugee advocacy group HIAS on the US-Mexico border. Another post that Bowers commented on described HIAS' overall efforts as "sugar-coated evil."

And apparently, not a Trump supporter.

Quote:

Roughly four hours before the shooting, Bowers commented in a post that he did not vote for Trump.

Edward64 10-27-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3221395)
There are 350000 or so religious congregations in the United States. Let's say you could figure out a way to cover every service with one guard per congregation, so 350000 armed, trained security guards. There are less than 670000 police officers in the United States. Where are these people coming from? And don't forget that you need multiple guards for each of the 130000 or so schools in the United States. This idea is going to need at least a million new armed, trained guards.

I'm an elder in my church, so I know our budget problems well, and we're very similar to tens of thousands of other congregations. Let's say we can find a part-time guard for every service at the incredibly reasonable cost of 10000 a year. That would mean we end our local and global mission work and put all that money and more towards a security guard. Not only would we feel like a bunker, we'd basically be that as our connection to the rest of the world would completely end.

Even if you accept the very problematic issue of worshipping in an armed environment, the practical realities make this and arming school guards terrible ideas.

I'm willing to bet most protestant churches in TX (and other gun friendly states) already have armed guards free of charge.

Would you consider asking some in your congregation (former vets with no PTSD, former cops etc.) to do conceal carry and be that "last line of defense"?

I would guess not and would then ask why would an equally "religious, moral, ethical" pastor in TX allow it? Interesting question to consider the differences in POV.

miami_fan 10-27-2018 06:44 PM

How soon we forget...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/u...ing-texas.html

Edward64 10-27-2018 06:57 PM

Just responding to JPhillips and a possible answer to his budget issue.

Yeah, too bad the law-abiding neighbors weren't attending church but were close by to stop him from doing more damage.

EagleFan 10-27-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

He and many of his supporters. I have already seen posts blaming video games (that's a lazy argument), liberal conspiracy (the bombs first and now this), the victims who somehow were asking for it (I blocked that idiot on FB after reading that) and ,in what seems like some of the worst logic ever, too much gun control.

molson 10-27-2018 07:23 PM

How do you guys have such horrible facebook friends?

I think one of the reasons I used to not quite realize the depth of Trump's base and how influential they were is that I just never saw them in real life. I have maybe 400 facebook friends - and zero public Trump supporters. Zero. There's 3-4 people that pass around lazy conservative memes once in a while, but they aren't really the super-hateful versions.

I live in one of the reddest states in the country, and I do see some Trump bumper stickers and flags around election time, but, I have nothing to do with these people. I work in state government, surrounded by Republicans (I assume), and I've never heard a single positive word about Trump. Not one. I'm sure some of them voted for him, but they would never admit it. And while we don't really talk politics, I hear plenty of vague comments about the state of the Trump presidency generally as like a "who the fuck knows what's going to happen next" kind of thing.

It's not that I specifically pick my facebook friends and people I hang out with at work based on politics - it's just kind of what my background and lifestyle is, I don't cross paths with these kinds of people. And I shoot guns in the desert for fun sometimes. But among every social and professional informal group I'm a part of, if someone said the slightest racist Trump-rhetoric kind of stuff - it just wouldn't fly, it just could never happen. It's been a revelation to me how much people hear this kind of stuff in their lives and on social media from people they know.

miami_fan 10-27-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221418)
Just responding to JPhillips and a possible answer to his budget issue.

Yeah, too bad the law-abiding neighbors weren't attending church but were close by to stop him from doing more damage.

The point was twofold. First it was an example of a Protestant church that did not have armed guards free of charge. I am sure they have their reasons for not having one budgetary or otherwise.

Second is that as far we know, the shooter today WAS a law abiding citizen right up until the time the bullets flew today. You did the research. He obtained all of his weapons legally. Yes, he spewed hate speech but let's be honest, we don't take that sort of stuff seriously anyways. He was the quintessential "good guy with a gun" right up until he wasn't. He is the guy who was armed free of charge!

Edward64 10-27-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3221423)
The point was twofold. First it was an example of a Protestant church that did not have armed guards free of charge. I am sure they have their reasons for not having one budgetary or otherwise.

When I said free of charge, I meant some congregation members would likely be carrying.

We don't actually know if there were carry people in the church who was not able to stop the gunman (googled and did not find it). If your point is that even if there was, it was obviously ineffective, you would be right. I would still prefer someone carrying as a last line of defense vs not (same goes for schools). Please note, there are some on the board that thinks this means forcing teachers who are uncomfortable to carry and that is not what I am advocating.

(My wife is a teacher, she and I talked and there admin/teachers who are obviously not geared to use weapons. However, there are some who grew up comfortable with weapons and if they go through training, background checks etc. I am all for it. BTW - in my county, there are armed resource officers in our schools, its not viewed as abnormal and majority of teachers welcome it. Admittedly we are in a wealthier county).

Re: protestant church and arm guards in congregation.

I did try to google on statistics/surveys but did not find any. So you are right that I cannot prove there most protestant churches in TX would have congregation members carry weapons. There is no law against it in TX (open but not concealed carry I think) and, knowing the stereotypical Texan, I would say it is likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3221423)
Second is that as far we know, the shooter today WAS a law abiding citizen right up until the time the bullets flew today. You did the research. He obtained all of his weapons legally. Yes, he spewed hate speech but let's be honest, we don't take that sort of stuff seriously anyways. He was the quintessential "good guy with a gun" right up until he wasn't. He is the guy who was armed free of charge!

You are right, so far he seems to be law abiding and no mental health that was obvious and was not on anyone's radar.

I'm all for more gun control. I'm just not for being too restrictive (devil is in the details). I had another post that talked about my position on increased gun control including compulsory real training, background checks, closing gun show loopholes, tracking transfer of weapons etc.

What is your solution? Are you more in the camp of increased gun control or more get rid of most guns?

RainMaker 10-27-2018 08:33 PM

Four cops were shot in this so it's not like just having a guy with a gun around will save the day. In fact, most of the school shootings have armed guards.

But maybe we need to have multiple heavily armed guards at every bris and baptism in this country. Totally normal thing to do for a totally normal country.

RainMaker 10-27-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221425)
You are right, so far he seems to be law abiding and no mental health that was obvious and was not on anyone's radar.

He should have been on someone's radar. Pretty openly bragged about his weaponry and desire to murder Jews. But we cut funding into investigating right-wing extremists who commit most of the terror attacks in this country. So much for "law and order".

Then again, maybe he doesn't stand out as an extremist anymore. The right has been pushing the anti-semitic stuff for awhile. Fox News was running the ZOG conspiracy theory hard today (and has been for awhile). The President himself has a history of saying things tinged with anti-semitism. There's a Congressman who is an open neo-Nazi.

Edward64 10-27-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221426)
Four cops were shot in this so it's not like just having a guy with a gun around will save the day. In fact, most of the school shootings have armed guards.

But maybe we need to have multiple heavily armed guards at every bris and baptism in this country. Totally normal thing to do for a totally normal country.

I get your point, congregation members having weapons would not stop all shootings. And in many cases, an open pistol carry would stand little chance against a determined intruder carrying semi-automatic weapon and bullet proof vest (like in Texas Church shooting).

I just don't get why one would be against this "last line of defense"? I would take it over not having one.

Same question I posed to miami_fan - What is your solution? Are you more in the camp of increased gun control or more get rid of most guns?

JPhillips 10-27-2018 08:55 PM

I find an attitude of, I may kill someone today, to be antithetical to Christian teaching, but I'll freely admit that I'm not sure I can justify any killing based on the Gospels.

Edward64 10-27-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3221430)
I find an attitude of, I may kill someone today, to be antithetical to Christian teaching, but I'll freely admit that I'm not sure I can justify any killing based on the Gospels.

I'll go with an extreme scenario - if you had a gun in hand and could kill someone that was going to kill your family (ala Purge movies, great entertainment BTW), you would not do it?

There is no doubt I would do my best to kill that person.

RainMaker 10-27-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221429)
I get your point, congregation members having weapons would not stop all shootings. And in many cases, an open pistol carry would stand little chance against a determined intruder carrying semi-automatic weapon and bullet proof vest (like in Texas Church shooting).

I just don't get why one would be against this "last line of defense"? I would take it over not having one.

Same question I posed to miami_fan - What is your solution? Are you more in the camp of increased gun control or more get rid of most guns?

I don't know the solution. Just pointing out how fucked up this country is that the solution is a heavily armed security force to keep watch out while your child gets baptized.

For what it's worth, it's probably not a bad solution for synagogues these days. Or black churches, mosques, Sikh temples, etc. They've become targets by terrorists lately and the government is not interested in stopping terrorists of that ideology.

miami_fan 10-27-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221425)
What is your solution? Are you more in the camp of increased gun control or more get rid of most guns?

Solution for what?

I have no solution for someone who legally obtains his weapons and walks into a synagogue and starts blowing people away.

miami_fan 10-27-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221432)
I'll go with an extreme scenario - if you had a gun in hand and could kill someone that was going to kill your family (ala Purge movies, great entertainment BTW), you would not do it?

You do realize that this was the exact rational for the killer today right? You read his social media tweet about "his people" that happened five minutes before he began the slaughter, right?

Edward64 10-27-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 3221439)
You do realize that this was the exact rational for the killer today right? You read his social media tweet about "his people" that happened five minutes before he began the slaughter, right?

Uh no. Think that is a stretch.

NobodyHere 10-27-2018 11:01 PM

This is generally my reaction nowadays

I have no idea what practical policy would stop this guy. I don't understand why someone would want to murder 11 random strangers. Is it fame to give meaning to some sad life? If so then how did he get to such depravities and how can we stop it?

JPhillips 10-28-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221432)

It isn't a question of whether I could do it, but whether or not the action would be sinful. One of the big challenges of the Gospels is whether or not violence is ever not sinful.

AlexB 10-28-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221427)
...Then again, maybe he doesn't stand out as an extremist anymore. The right has been pushing the anti-semitic stuff for awhile. Fox News was running the ZOG conspiracy theory hard today (and has been for awhile). The President himself has a history of saying things tinged with anti-semitism. There's a Congressman who is an open neo-Nazi.

There’s the rub. When The President is Trump, and he is setting the tone, some of what was previously extreme becomes largely in line with what comes from the White House

How people cannot link the two together, or will not link the two together, is beyond me. Much as people refuse to link the evidence that more guns means more shootings, even compared to other areas in the US.

It must be either wilful ignorance or extreme stupidity.

Edward64 10-28-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3221454)
It isn't a question of whether I could do it, but whether or not the action would be sinful. One of the big challenges of the Gospels is whether or not violence is ever not sinful.

FWIW, as a non-practicing Catholic I don't claim to be up to speed on dogma but here's one Catholic POV. Hope it helps.

The Catholic Guide to Self Defense | The Catholic Gentleman
Quote:

are we justified in defending ourselves and our families? Or should we meekly turn the other cheek, come what may?

The short answer is yes, self defense is justified. The Doctors of the Church and the Magisterium have made it clear that self-defense is not only a right, but in some cases, a duty. In the Catechism, the guidelines for when exactly self-defense is legitimate are presented. Let’s take a look at what it has to say.
:
I will conclude with a quote from Pope John Paul II’s encyclical letter, Evangelium Vitae, on the tension between respect for human life, obedience to the 5th commandment, and self defense. It summarizes the issue perfectly.
Quote:

There are in fact situations in which values proposed by God’s Law seem to involve a genuine paradox. This happens for example in the case of legitimate defence, in which the right to protect one’s own life and the duty not to harm someone else’s life are difficult to reconcile in practice.

Certainly, the intrinsic value of life and the duty to love oneself no less than others are the basis of a true right to self-defence. The demanding commandment of love of neighbour, set forth in the Old Testament and confirmed by Jesus, itself presupposes love of oneself as the basis of comparison: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself ” (Mk 12:31).

Consequently, no one can renounce the right to self-defence out of lack of love for life or for self. This can only be done in virtue of a heroic love which deepens and transfigures the love of self into a radical self-offering, according to the spirit of the Gospel Beatitudes (cf. Mt 5:38-40).

The sublime example of this self-offering is the Lord Jesus himself. Moreover, “legitimate defence can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another’s life, the common good of the family or of the State”. [The quotation is from # 2265 in the first edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.]

Unfortunately it happens that the need to render the aggressor incapable of causing harm sometimes involves taking his life. In this case, the fatal outcome is attributable to the aggressor whose action brought it about, even though he may not be morally responsible because of a lack of the use of reason.

Just a thought, you should post your question in the reddit christianity/catholic/etc. forums. I'm sure you get more educated answers there.

JPhillips 10-28-2018 11:14 AM

Thanks. I know the Catholic theology, but I'm not sure I agree. The older I get the closer I get to the Quaker stand on non-violence.

NobodyHere 10-28-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexB (Post 3221456)
How people cannot link the two together, or will not link the two together, is beyond me. Much as people refuse to link the evidence that more guns means more shootings, even compared to other areas in the US.

It must be either wilful ignorance or extreme stupidity.

Is there a link that more guns mean more shootings? Rural America has a higher gun ownership rate than urban areas. Yet urban areas have more gun homicides per capita.

AlexB 10-28-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3221402)
In the hopes it gets through to at least one person, my usually attempt at offering a synopsis i find easy to grasp:

America’s unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and charts - Vox

Whomario posted a really interesting link just yesterday

molson 10-28-2018 12:04 PM

It's pretty hard to find state-by-state data of gun violence. The articles tend to use "gun deaths" to make their point. Sometimes they use the terms "gun death" and "gun violence" interchangeably to it's tough to know what they're measuring.

Obviously there's more gun suicides where there's more guns. And there seems to be a correlation between suicide rates and gun ownership, which makes sense, guns make suicide easy. But that usually isn't part of the rallying cry for gun control. It's just one part of the debate that comes off as disingenuous to me. Americans are concerned mostly about one particular type of gun violence - mass shootings. That's what sparks gun control debates. Not domestic violence, suicides, or gang violence. Which is kind of unfortunate because mass shootings are the type of gun violence/death that's probably least impacted by gun control. Most mass shooters could have bought weapons no matter what the background check required. (though some of them could have been slowed down some based on the types of weapons available, etc.)

RainMaker 10-28-2018 12:14 PM

For the armed guard option, this guy was able to get the best of armed police and SWAT if you read through what happened.

cuervo72 10-28-2018 01:07 PM

Note that last line, too.

Stretch indeed.

whomario 10-28-2018 01:27 PM

First off, the article also very clearly shows the insane difference in terms of gun homicides per capita despite there not being a discernible difference in overall violent crime. Basically, americans aren't more violent or murderous, but are statistically much more likely to have access to a gun and be aclimated to using one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3221488)
Which is kind of unfortunate because mass shootings are the type of gun violence/death that's probably least impacted by gun control. Most mass shooters could have bought weapons no matter what the background check required. (though some of them could have been slowed down some based on the types of weapons available, etc.)

It is however not in question (to me at least), that the easy accessibility and resulting gun culture lowers the inhibitions and makes them more 'accesible' from a mental perspective as well. And this has nothing to do with media and the likes, because there is pretty no difference (anymore) between western countries.

A country like Germany has a lot of guns per capita as well (compared to other western countries other than the US), but it has never been commonplace to pretty much treat guns and gun ownership the same as you would a nice set of steak knives. A gun here is still something outlandish/exotic/strange that seems out of place when visible in civil life and even on police*, this simply isn't the case in many areas of the US.

*police shooting somebody in other western countries is also significantly lower than in the US. Again the reason can be a) more murderous police or b) police more accustomed to use a gun AND feeling more in danger from the prevelance of people owning a gun.

I doubt any german police officer makes a traffic stop and worries about there being even the slightest chance of the guy being armed.

Edward64 10-28-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 3221483)
Thanks. I know the Catholic theology, but I'm not sure I agree. The older I get the closer I get to the Quaker stand on non-violence.

Sounds pretty deep. Good luck on your search for answers.

When you finally do get it, let us know.

molson 10-28-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3221495)
It is however not in question (to me at least), that the easy accessibility and resulting gun culture lowers the inhibitions and makes them more 'accesible' from a mental perspective as well. And this has nothing to do with media and the likes, because there is pretty no difference (anymore) between western countries.

That makes sense, but I don't think restrictions on who can buy guns can really put a dent in the number of guns in the United States or damper the gun culture. How many millions of millions own weapons in the U.S. that wouldn't be prevented from doing so even if ownership restrictions based on crimes already committed and mental diagnoses already made could be tightened up? It's still worth doing those things, but that's yet another part of the gun control debate I find disingenuous - Americans pointing to how things are done in Europe but also claiming they don't want an outright ban of guns here. How exactly do we get to those drastically reduced levels of gun ownership without a broader ban that impacts non-felons and non-schizophrenics, etc? What laws get guns away from CU Tiger or all of my neighbors in Idaho? Unless you get guns away from them, we're not becoming Europe when it comes to gun culture. In fact, I think we've seen that the more gun rights are threatened (even just as rhetoric that doesn't go anywhere), the stronger the gun culture becomes. Just the irrational fear that Obama was going to take away their guns caused the best 8 years ever for gun sales. Governments aren't great at regulating culture generally - except when they go full totalitarian.

PilotMan 10-28-2018 03:48 PM

The more discussion there is about what could be done, the more the reaction is to double down and increase the number of guns available. This isn't exactly a conversation where both sides are working toward a common goal. Molson is more or less correct in his observations. As the pendulum swings you're going to see moving closer to a total ban, or drastic reduction in guns, or at the very least, a much tighter patrol over who can have them, as the response is to 'stock up and prepare for war' is pretty much the only response the gun lobby has. I also think you're going to see more vigilantes, more gun violence, the police having a harder time keeping order. The conversation just can't stop though, because we think that there's no way to get guns off the streets. There will be a solution out there if we keep working for it.

whomario 10-28-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3221501)
That makes sense, but I don't think restrictions on who can buy guns can really put a dent in the number of guns in the United States or damper the gun culture. How many millions of millions own weapons in the U.S. that wouldn't be prevented from doing so even if ownership restrictions based on crimes already committed and mental diagnoses already made could be tightened up? It's still worth doing those things, but that's yet another part of the gun control debate I find disingenuous - Americans pointing to how things are done in Europe but also claiming they don't want an outright ban of guns here. How exactly do we get to those drastically reduced levels of gun ownership without a broader ban that impacts non-felons and non-schizophrenics, etc? What laws get guns away from CU Tiger or all of my neighbors in Idaho? Unless you get guns away from them, we're not becoming Europe when it comes to gun culture. In fact, I think we've seen that the more gun rights are threatened (even just as rhetoric that doesn't go anywhere), the stronger the gun culture becomes. Just the irrational fear that Obama was going to take away their guns caused the best 8 years ever for gun sales. Governments aren't great at regulating culture generally - except when they go full totalitarian.

How about thinking long term ? Current existing guns 'break' or their owners die or go out of style or whatever. Goal should be changing laws for new purchases and getting programs in place to deal with guns currently owned by people that are somewhat perceptible to the argument, make sure those guns don't end up being sold illegally to nutjobs by putting some sort of buy-back program in place etc.
Of course, for that both parties would have to support it in at least some way.

Just because it's not quick fix and likely won't ever reduce levels to where other western countries, shouldn't mean it is not a worthwhile goal. I mean, it seems pretty clear there is a correlation between the number of guns in existence in a country/state and the number of deaths by gun. So in all likelihood any sort of decent sized reduction (be at 10% or 40%) would result in a somewhat proportional reduction of homicides and suicides. It's simple statistics/propability.

Same as why you put speed limits in place, which you know is still potentially deadly but limits the risk and which one can't actually fully enforce (what percentage of violations get detected ? 1% maybe ?).

RainMaker 10-28-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221440)
Uh no. Think that is a stretch.

No it's not. Read what he wrote. He literally believed that there was genocide being committed against white people. He believed that this caravan was coming to slaughter his family. You don't commit terrorist attacks unless you're a true believer in your cause.

And this isn't some extreme belief. It's become part of the mainstream rhetoric on the right. Fox News routinely runs stories about the "white genocide". They allude to the ZOG conspiracy all the time.

He was constantly told that the Jews were sending these caravans of people looking to exterminate him and his family. At some point someone was going to take it serious and act.

CU Tiger 10-28-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 3221509)
How about thinking long term ? Current existing guns 'break' or their owners die or go out of style or whatever. Goal should be changing laws for new purchases and getting programs in place to deal with guns currently owned by people that are somewhat perceptible to the argument, make sure those guns don't end up being sold illegally to nutjobs by putting some sort of buy-back program in place etc.
Of course, for that both parties would have to support it in at least some way.

Just because it's not quick fix and likely won't ever reduce levels to where other western countries, shouldn't mean it is not a worthwhile goal. I mean, it seems pretty clear there is a correlation between the number of guns in existence in a country/state and the number of deaths by gun. So in all likelihood any sort of decent sized reduction (be at 10% or 40%) would result in a somewhat proportional reduction of homicides and suicides. It's simple statistics/propability.

Same as why you put speed limits in place, which you know is still potentially deadly but limits the risk and which one can't actually fully enforce (what percentage of violations get detected ? 1% maybe ?).

Two quick counter points.Im in the middle of a 48 hours weekend project ...taking a quick break for dinner and a mind refresh.
1- regarding guns breaking. I own 4 1800s firearms that still work fine. I also own many pre 1950s models. All work flawless. Honestly it's part of the appeal To me . But waiting on them to break out is a poor plan if gun control. Is your goal.
2- regarding correlation. Murders are down compared to prior decades thats an accepred fact. Gun sales are at an all time high and again since they don't break frequently total gun ownership is at an all time high. How does that correlation compute.

Look I've said before. I'm more open than most pro2a guys to some reform.deciding what, where and how that is is the rub.

I just wanted to point out the more guns = more crime isn't a good true correlation. Not to mention it never accounts for unregistered firearms.

Edward64 10-28-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221520)
No it's not. Read what he wrote. He literally believed that there was genocide being committed against white people. He believed that this caravan was coming to slaughter his family. You don't commit terrorist attacks unless you're a true believer in your cause.

And this isn't some extreme belief. It's become part of the mainstream rhetoric on the right. Fox News routinely runs stories about the "white genocide". They allude to the ZOG conspiracy all the time.

He was constantly told that the Jews were sending these caravans of people looking to exterminate him and his family. At some point someone was going to take it serious and act.

Just to lay the baseline to make sure we are discussing the same thing ...

My "stretch" comment was referring to the attempt to make Bower's rationale (which has been quoted several times now) for the murders equivalent to my extreme scenario below. This scenario was in the context of JPhillips comment about "can't justify killing based on the gospels".
Quote:

if you had a gun in hand and could kill someone that was going to kill your family (ala Purge movies, great entertainment BTW), you would not do it?

So my example of family in danger and having ability to kill the assailant to remove the danger & save my family is the same "exact rationale" Bower's is using?

RainMaker 10-28-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3221523)
So my example of family in danger and having ability to kill the assailant to remove the danger & save my family is the same "exact rationale" Bower's is using?

I'd say it's close going by his own words. He believed people were being sent by the Jews to slaughter him and his family.

How is that not the same rationale?

Edward64 10-28-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221525)
I'd say it's close going by his own words. He believed people were being sent by the Jews to slaughter him and his family.

How is that not the same rationale?

Close is not "exact rationale".

Is the genocide really the only reason? Wasn't there something about migrant caravans being supported by the Jews? I guess you can draw the link that "he believed migrant caravans would ultimately cause genocide against his people" but there are several degrees of separation to me.

Did he believe his killing the Synagogue victims would resolve the "issue", the immediacy of it? Me killing the assailant would immediately remove the issue.

Is him wanting to kill "all jews" the same as me wanting to kill a single assailant that is threatening my family. Wouldn't the equivalent be I want to kill all killers?

What is the definition of "his people"? Is "his people" have the same intimacy as a family member of mine?

RainMaker 10-28-2018 09:41 PM

It's connected. He and many others believe that the Jews are sending immigrants here to kill off the white race. The idea that the migrant caravan is a Jewish funded hit squad to kill people is a mainstream Republican talking point these days.

Reading through his posts it was clear he felt his and "his people" were in danger of being slaughtered.

His final words are "I can't sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. I'm going in".

I don't know if that's the same as a person holding a gun to someone's head. But he obviously felt lives were in danger and he had to do something about it.

Edward64 10-28-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3221535)
It's connected. He and many others believe that the Jews are sending immigrants here to kill off the white race. The idea that the migrant caravan is a Jewish funded hit squad to kill people is a mainstream Republican talking point these days.

Reading through his posts it was clear he felt his and "his people" were in danger of being slaughtered.

His final words are "I can't sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. I'm going in".

I don't know if that's the same as a person holding a gun to someone's head. But he obviously felt lives were in danger and he had to do something about it.

Sure its connected. In addition to Jews are helping the migrant caravan ... might as well toss in Jews own the banks, Jews have the President's ear, Jews own the politicians, Jews own high-tech ... ad nauseum.

Everything he "believes" that is bad about Jews goes into his belief of genocide. That's a heck of a catch-all category.

To say that is "exact rationale" to my scenario of killing an assailant to save my family but I honestly don't see it. Let's settle on "similarities" and I'm good.

PilotMan 10-28-2018 10:02 PM

There is a responsibility for the words you choose. Words are powerful. Look at the Bible. Take that whichever way you want. Either way, they are powerful. Allowing the sort of irresponsibility that we see in modern leadership in the white house and in the media extremes (https://www.adfontesmedia.com/wp-con...8_2018-min.jpg) is simply killing us. It's not a discussion. It's not civil. There is no end goal other than the sum zero game, and that won't get us to the end.

Having said that. Until certain people in politics, who are directly responsible for the current climate are gone, I have no interest in cooperating to create a win/win as they have no good faith bargaining chips left to play with and are wholly untrustworthy and not worth bargaining with. I would work with those who disagree with me though, who are willing to work toward a long term solution to current problems though, just like it's designed to do.

I digress. The ease at which people are willing to give trump a pass because of his use of words is scary. NO previous president would have ever gotten away with it. None.

Radii 10-29-2018 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3221488)
Obviously there's more gun suicides where there's more guns. And there seems to be a correlation between suicide rates and gun ownership, which makes sense, guns make suicide easy. But that usually isn't part of the rallying cry for gun control. It's just one part of the debate that comes off as disingenuous to me. Americans are concerned mostly about one particular type of gun violence - mass shootings. That's what sparks gun control debates. Not domestic violence, suicides, or gang violence. Which is kind of unfortunate because mass shootings are the type of gun violence/death that's probably least impacted by gun control. Most mass shooters could have bought weapons no matter what the background check required. (though some of them could have been slowed down some based on the types of weapons available, etc.)

The loud voices that react to specific events seem to be concerned only about the specific events. But the people who care deeply about reducing gun violence in the US, and people who work hard on a daily basis, regardless of the latest incident, to try to raise awareness about gun violence in general - they really do care deeply about all of this.

Just read through this thread, and look at the calm and reasonable and well-reasoned arguments digamma makes at every opportunity, with mention of reasonable measures that could be taken to reduce the overall number of gun deaths in our country, I'm quite certain I've seen him reference the number of suicide deaths that could be prevented with reasonable gun control measure, with references to available data comparing states that have implemented laws at the state level compared to those that don't.

And then watch as, every time, he gets completely ignored as the loudest amongst the group goes back to shouting at each other about what could or couldn't have done to stop this one individual shooting today - when the actual argument is NEVER about one very very specific set of circumstances, but about gains that could very easily be made with reasonable change that almost everyone is generally in favor of outside of the NRA.

It gets old, and sad, and disheartening.

Kodos 10-29-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 3221552)

It gets old, and sad, and disheartening.

It sure does. :(

Logan 10-29-2018 01:48 PM

I was sitting in a Pennsylvania synagogue with my extended family watching my oldest niece lead the service for her Bat Mitzvah at the exact same time that psychopath was murdering people in a similar setting on the other side of the state.

So sickening.

cuervo72 10-29-2018 04:39 PM

Shooting at Butler High "began with bullying that escalated out of control" | ktvb.com

"I don't know how a young person gets a handgun in the state of North Carolina but we'll look into all those things and make sure it doesn't happen again."

No idea.

RainMaker 11-04-2018 01:07 AM

The yoga mass shooter was an extremist with a history of violence against women and a love of guns. Check all the boxes yet again. As a bonus, he was an incel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/u...g-florida.html

Ksyrup 11-04-2018 07:06 AM

Yeah that one hits somewhat close to home. A former attorney I used to work with was in training to be a yoga instructor at that studio, and another attorney was in a restaurant at the same strip mall when the shooting occurred. That's less than 10 minutes from where we used to live.

Edward64 11-08-2018 06:15 AM

Another one.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/cal...ntl/index.html
Quote:

• Twelve people killed in shooting at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. Ventura County sheriff's deputy among the dead, police say.
  • The suspected gunman is also dead, police say.
  • At least a dozen people injured.
  • Eyewitnesses say shooter opened fire in a packed bar during college night.

Ksyrup 11-08-2018 09:17 AM

28-year old veteran who suffered PTSD.

Edward64 11-08-2018 09:24 AM

More on the shooter.

Thousand Oaks Bar shooting: Gunman ID'd as Ian David Long, Marine
Quote:

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Authorities have identified the gunman as Marine veteran Ian David Long, 28, of Newbury Park, in the shooting that killed 12 at bar in California.

A tall, hooded man dressed in black opened fire late Wednesday during "college night" at a crowded country dance bar in Southern California, killing 11 people and a sheriff's sergeant.

The shooter used a caliber handgun for the shootings and drove his mother's car to the Borderline Bar and Grill in this small city, about an hour north of Los Angeles. The man was found dead in the bar, but authorities don't know if he died from suicide or from a law enforcement bullet.

Local authorities said it had contact with Long over the years. He was the victim of a battery at a local Thousand Oaks bar and deputies were called to his home in Newbury Park in 2018 due to a domestic dispute, where he was "somewhat irate and acting irrationally," said Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean.

However, after mental health professionals looked at him, they decided not to pull him in for further observation.

Dean said Long used a 45 caliber handgun that was designed to be fit with ten rounds of ammunition. The gun was purchased legally.

PilotMan 11-08-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3222733)

And this is the social price of war. All the love for the great and mighty military and we lose the price we pay in human suffering after they come home. It's the cost of throwing our men and women willy nilly with no real break. Sadly, it's really the only deterrent we have to the never ending war of the future.

Yesterday, China released a video of a stealth drone capable of delivering a payload. As soon as we reach the level of autonomous war, I'm not sure we'll figure out how to stop it.

RainMaker 11-08-2018 04:16 PM

Ooooffffffff...this video. Parents worst nightmare.

Edward64 11-08-2018 07:15 PM

Absolutely heart-wrenching. I couldn't imagine what he is going through.

As part of a solution, maybe get more of these really candid grief out there so people can see the impact and maybe think twice or report suspicions.

RainMaker 11-09-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3222733)

Ehhh, let's not use PTSD as an excuse. Seems like he was a piece of shit long before he joined the Marines. And plenty of soldiers come back with PTSD and don't slaughter a bunch of college students.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...coach-assault/

This also continues a trend of these mass shooters having a history of violence against women.

RainMaker 11-09-2018 12:58 AM

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-p...s-r-1830308976

QuikSand 11-09-2018 06:43 AM

Folks, I know we’re all running low on thoughts and prayers, but #Wilmington

I guess get used to this feeling

QuikSand 11-09-2018 06:47 AM

(Sounds like this might be nothing, hope so)

Thomkal 11-09-2018 09:46 AM

Yep sounds like malfunctioning equipment that someone took for gunfire. Given what they have been through with the hurricane/floods, very happy to see this wasn't a shooting.

RainMaker 11-09-2018 04:57 PM

I think one of the craziest thing about this is how quickly it's out of the news. 12 people murdered like this would have run for weeks. President would have made a trip out.

Maybe the only positive takeaway is that if the press cover them less, maybe it dissuades people from doing it?

Edward64 11-10-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 3222811)
As part of a solution, maybe get more of these really candid grief out there so people can see the impact and maybe think twice or report suspicions.

Another part of the solution is to have these like groups talk out more about the impact they have seen with guns (e.g. cops, EMS etc.) with kids and young adults.

I wouldn't doubt this Dr. group is way more gun-control than I would like but am okay as I do think these conversations are needed and the NRA is too immovable for me.

There is no immediate solution, its just laying out the groundwork for the next generation. Focus on them while we wait out 20-30 years of craziness.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/healt...act/index.html
Quote:

Two signs of the times: another mass shooting and more Twitter outrage. This time, though, the barbs over social media came from the medical community in response to a tweet from the National Rifle Association.

The piling-on began after the NRA tweeted on Wednesday a link to an article from its Institute of Legislative Action. The article, titled "Surprise: Physician Group Rehashes Same Tired Gun Control Policies," was promoted with these words: "Someone should tell self-important anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane. Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control. Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves."

miami_fan 11-10-2018 04:19 PM

Give the guy credit for one thing. He knew the world he was leaving behind.

Thousand Oaks shooting gunman posted on Instagram during bar massacre

Quote:

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Ian David Long, the gunman who killed 12 people at a country music bar, posted on social media during the deadly rampage, according to law enforcement officials.

The first call to law enforcement came in at 11:19 p.m. Wednesday, officials said. The authorities arrived at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California, three minutes later. They entered the building at 11:25 p.m.

Long, 28, first posted on Instagram at 11:24 p.m: "It's too bad I won't get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it," the military veteran said in the post. "Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought....(exploitive), life is boring so why not?" Long posted, according to ABC News and Buzzfeed.

Three minutes later Long posted, "I hope people call me insane (two smiley face emojiis) would that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah... I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'...or 'keep you in my thoughts'." He added, "Every time...and wonder why these keep happening... --(two smiley face emojis)."

Long ended the killing spree by taking his own life.

The Ventura County Sheriff's office requested that the social media service preserve the communications until the posts can be subpoenaed with a search warrant or court order.

The posts have already been taken down. Authorities have not yet determined a motive for the attack.

A stretch of Rolling Oaks Drive, the street leading to Borderline Bar and Grill, remained closed Saturday.

Investigators wearing white hazmat-style suits and respirators over their faces continue to process the scene that Long left behind. They'll keep going until at least Tuesday, a Ventura County Sheriff's Department spokesman said.

PilotMan 11-10-2018 04:36 PM

That is a serious empathy gap. How can you care about what happens afterward if you don't care about the fallout of who you're doing it to?

thesloppy 11-10-2018 04:55 PM

So we've entered a grand new age of postmodern mass murder. Terrific.

Chief Rum 11-10-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 3222998)
That is a serious empathy gap. How can you care about what happens afterward if you don't care about the fallout of who you're doing it to?

No sense in applying logic to someone clearly not operating on a reasonable manner.

PilotMan 11-10-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 3223002)
No sense in applying logic to someone clearly not operating on a reasonable manner.

If that's the standard the judgement of any person could be brought into question. I mean, I may have even used that argument in a social media argument. The case could be made that trump doesn't operate in a reasonable manner. It's too vague.

The military doesn't exactly get the pick of the litter when it comes to enlistments, and war and dangerous/hostile deployments don't make that challenge any easier. In fact, it makes the ramifications of it much more dangerous and a drawback that should be considered when asking what we do of our completely volunteer military.

cuervo72 11-11-2018 09:16 PM

How Robert Bowers went from conservative to white nationalist | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

More in-depth profile/analysis of the synagogue shooter.

RainMaker 11-12-2018 04:04 PM

Officer shoots, kills armed security guard outside south suburban bar | WGN-TV

Going to guess we won't get much response from the NRA about this legal gun owner being mowed down despite doing nothing wrong. Can't figure out why.